Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 14th September 2016, 10:46   #106
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: PhD Thread

Just for curiosity, how many PhD's are there in this forum?

Myself, PhD(Dairy Science)from Acharya NG Ranga Agricultural University( Formerly A P Agril University)
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2016, 12:45   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

I am an old time PhD in Physics (1976) from the University of Reading.

Subsequently, I served in IIT Kanpur from 1977 till 2014, retiring as a Chief Scientific Officer - HAG (ie Research Professor - Senior Professor Grade).
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2016, 16:34   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Just for curiosity, how many PhD's are there in this forum?
At least 20-30 I must say, based on my 11+ years of observation of the forum. Even the mod team has one.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2016, 20:24   #109
BHPian

I'm pursuing a PhD + MBA at NUS-making solar cells.
It's really a great way to learn to learn.
Nissan1180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2016, 09:26   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
At least 20-30 I must say, based on my 11+ years of observation of the forum. Even the mod team has one.
A catch, what do you do with doctors. They as a rule do not have PhDs and may have MD/MS and even sometimes DM/MCh. Where do you fit them in. Even if the latter my son (well known to Samurai san) and a long time member holds an MCh.

Then you can add DurangoDude (MS) and wildsdi5530 as far as I know.

I am pretty sure anjan_c2007 is also a PhD.
Old 15th September 2016, 10:17   #111
rkg
Senior - BHPian

I think it would be a nice thing, if all the PhD's the forum introduce themselves.

I did my BVSc, MVSc and PhD from APAU. now working as senior scientist in ICAR(indian council for agricultural reserach) at Bangalore
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2016, 11:14   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
A catch, what do you do with doctors. They as a rule do not have PhDs and may have MD/MS and even sometimes DM/MCh. Where do you fit them in. Even if the latter my son (well known to Samurai san) and a long time member holds an MCh.

Then you can add DurangoDude (MS) and wildsdi5530 as far as I know.
Oh, let's not muddle this pot now.

Phd/DBA develops the following in a person:

Quote:
The real benefits of conducting this type of research are the many new skills you will develop through the process. Critical thinking, analytical skills, effective communication skills, research techniques and academic writing will emerge and mature through the course of the research.

Perhaps the most important and valuable skill the doctoral candidate develops is the ability to engage in ‘deep work’: the ability to apply thinking to complex problems while ignoring the distractions of everyday life. This valuable skill transcends even the topic of the research. To be able to apply one’s thinking, without being distracted, for long periods of time is a valuable skill not just for academics but also for organisations looking to truly understand the nature of their operating environments. The development of this skill requires practice and time, and this will be the biggest challenge for most doctoral candidates.
Does the above apply to typical MS/MD doctors? It is applicable to Medical researchers who may be also medical doctors, but I doubt every MD/MS is a researcher.
Old 15th September 2016, 14:01   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
I think it would be a nice thing, if all the PhD's the forum introduce themselves.

I did my BVSc, MVSc and PhD from APAU. now working as senior scientist in ICAR(indian council for agricultural reserach) at Bangalore
That's wonderful. Nice to see your intro sir.
I completed my PhD in Engineering from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore in 2007. I'm presently working as a Senior Scientist at a CSIR Lab.
srvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 09:12   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, let's not muddle this pot now.

Does the above apply to typical MS/MD doctors? It is applicable to Medical researchers who may be also medical doctors, but I doubt every MD/MS is a researcher.
FYI every MD/MS candidate is required to submit a Thesis before he/she is examined. So technically they are all researchers. Quite often they may have a couple of publications to show for it.
Old 16th September 2016, 09:43   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
FYI every MD/MS candidate is required to submit a Thesis before he/she is examined. So technically they are all researchers. Quite often they may have a couple of publications to show for it.
I think its like an MS program in science and engineering. I mean in terms of structure of courses. A combination of research/thesis work + course based learning (+ hospital hours unlike the engg/science programs). Also I think the thesis requirement is for a partial fulfillment of the program and not the only requirement.

For that matter many science and engineering ME/MS programs also generate publications. That depends on the student and the advisor. There is a PhD program in medicine as well.

You may know better as you are closer to acads, but that I think that is the usual norm.

Last edited by ampere : 16th September 2016 at 09:45.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 10:11   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How different it is from ME/Mtech thesis?
Old 16th September 2016, 15:17   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think its like an MS program in science and engineering. I mean in terms of structure of courses. A combination of research/thesis work + course based learning (+ hospital hours unlike the engg/science programs). Also I think the thesis requirement is for a partial fulfillment of the program and not the only requirement.

For that matter many science and engineering ME/MS programs also generate publications. That depends on the student and the advisor. There is a PhD program in medicine as well.

You may know better as you are closer to acads, but that I think that is the usual norm.
Quote:
How different it is from ME/Mtech thesis?
No the rules make them more like PhD Theses. PhD in Medical subjects is almost a non-starter. PhD in non-clinical subjects like Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry and even para clinical ones like Pharmacology, Pathology, etc are popular. However, these are often perused by those without a Medical first degree. In fact the MCI rules forbid the non-medicos from ever becoming HODs. Silly but that is/was the rule.