Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 27th August 2017, 16:00   #121
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: PhD Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathish81 View Post
Having seen him up close , can say with some conviction-Interest matters.PhD if done properly will test your limits (not just academic) and in end it boils down to how much you are willing to sacrifice to pursue your passion ( not interest)
Its a quite a fulfilling journey no-doubt at the personal level. But it may be quite a different story at the professional level. I dont want to compare what one achieved to its equated financial return. But many in the system do and there lies the problem. Because one's peers may have not chosen to go down the PhD path and hence may be seeing greener pastures in the industry in terms of financial well being.

But I do believe if one has done a due justice to what he achieved in his PhD, he should be able to move forward in life (not just because of PhD but because of what he gained in the journey).

As regards to Indians getting PhDs in US, there are many cases where every one is not able to crack an ivy league college but gets a PhD from a next level college. It can result in negation of one's expectations. An example being the person in question may be looking get a good option in US ( not easily forthcoming). In the end he either looks at a lower caliber job or stares at returning back to base.

The article which Samurai pointed is also not far from truth. To note: Education in US not cheap by all means. One has to make ends meet to get through college. Hence once past college most look forward to a good satisfying life. Looks like its a sign of times. Industry and acads are not face to face.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2017, 16:45   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its a quite a fulfilling journey no-doubt at the personal level. But it may be quite a different story at the professional level. I dont want to compare what one achieved to its equated financial return. But many in the system do and there lies the problem. Because one's peers may have not chosen to go down the PhD path and hence may be seeing greener pastures in the industry in terms of financial well being.

But I do believe if one has done a due justice to what he achieved in his PhD, he should be able to move forward in life (not just because of PhD but because of what he gained in the journey
Agree with you- "greener pastures" depends on individual and does not always equate to financial well being.

I know of 2 individuals both PHD's who choose to do what they like and take a hit on pay scale:

My cousin rejected offer from one of pharmas and now works for 50% of pay offered. But he is very happy professionally.

Another person I know quit a high paying position with Qualcomm to continue his research- again taking a hit on pay.
sathish81 is offline   Reply With Quote