Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Closed Thread

Old 31st March 2011, 14:54   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: I believe I parked on the street within rules. But a neighbour differs. Who is ri

Oh man!! I don't know why some people are making fuss over this. The road looks wide enough for a Ikon to get in and out comfortably. Even a Safari can be maneouvred easily in this space.
I daily take my car out and in from my apartment on a lane which is even narrower than this, and that's a very busy lane when compared to this and everyday hoards of auto and cars are parked in front of my apartment, sometime even blocking the gate. Most of the time I am able to take my car in and out and only if it's absolutely impossible to manouevre, do I lose my patience.

But SB, you were right in standing your ground. That Ikon guy was a inept driver.
Old 31st March 2011, 15:00   #92
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: I believe I parked on the street within rules. But a neighbour differs. Who is ri

What i am thinking is SB is still thinking about this, while the IKON guy is, I'm quite sure, oblivious to all the furore created here..........
Old 31st March 2011, 15:09   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

What i am thinking is SB is still thinking about this, while the IKON guy is, I'm quite sure, oblivious to all the furore created here..........
hehe!! Very true mayank.
The issue has been surgically dissected. I know there's no need to fret over such small issues.
But then SB, could probably show this to his friend whom he visited, and tell him that he was right in standing his ground.
I don't find fault in SB at all, as he offered to move the car right away after knowing that there was a sick person in house and IKon might need to be taken out in case of emergency.
But that ikon owner's attitude and intention led to this situation.
So, chill SB. you know you were right. let other's say what they want.
Old 31st March 2011, 15:18   #94
BHPian

I face the same problem the Ikon guy faces, and I face it everyday. But, the difference is that I drive a Innova. I am sorry SB but I can relate with this Ikon guy. While he was not right in loosing his temper, I guess he is well within his rights to ask u to move your vehicle. I see all the comments in this thread criticizing the Ikon guy's driving skills, giving him advice to get a smaller car, but the point is its HIS car, its HIS home, its HIS garage and no one can be put down for having lesser skill in driving.

I personally feel there is nothing much to this issue to deserve a separate thread. And he is not even your neighbor and you'r not gonna bump into him everyday. If all the members start threads of such issues, I guess everyone would be starting more than 10 threads daily.

Let it go, enjoy life and stop taking pictures of the street to prove yourself right.
Old 31st March 2011, 15:39   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan
But most importantly, the very act of entering in to their reserved parking, and subsequent re-emergence to join the main traffic, is stressful to me.
I think nothing can beat the narrow and 90-degree entry to the basement-parking of Sundari Silks. But then you get to see exotic cars parked there most of the times, which makes you forget the pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk
What i am thinking is SB is still thinking about this, while the IKON guy is, I'm quite sure, oblivious to all the furore created here
No man. This happened some 4 weeks or more ago. It did not really bother me other than the curiosity of knowing if he really had a case. So I wanted to create a thread and wrote up the post. But since it would be tough to explain without a pic/figure, I tried to draw using Paint, but I was sure I would not be able to get it correctly. Hence when I got a chance to visit the place again, I took the snap with the Alto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish
I face the same problem the Ikon guy faces, and I face it everyday. But, the difference is that I drive a Innova.
Could you please post a snap of the problem you face - to get an idea of the road width, how it inconveniences you etc.

Quote:
While he was not right in loosing his temper, I guess he is well within his rights to ask u to move your vehicle. I see all the comments in this thread criticizing the Ikon guy's driving skills, giving him advice to get a smaller car, but the point is its HIS car, its HIS home, its HIS garage
Given the width of the road & the way I had parked it away from the road, I don't think he is within rights to ask me to move the vehicle. And while the car/home/garage is indeed his, the road is not HIS.

Quote:
Let it go, enjoy life and stop taking pictures of the street
Someone asked for pic with my car instead of the Alto. And since I was anyway there, I took the snaps.
Old 31st March 2011, 16:40   #96
BHPian

Allow me to bring a variation of this situation into the discussion. And this is not on the street parking with ambiguity around the legally allowed parking spots and all.

My Xylo's parking space in my building opens to the side towards a boundary wall. When there weren't many 4 wheelers in the building, I could reverse out while turning at the same time to face the outward gate. The situation now is that there are cars parked alongside the wall - similar to the way the Alto was parked in the original picture and my parking slot being the ikon guys'. I now need to do a 2-3 iteration reversing before I can get on my way.
I complain - no. Why? Because I understand the limitations around me -and I adapt.

SB - I believe you did the right thing. You were considerate in parking to leave max space, willing to move the car when asked and continued doing so even when the conversation took a different turn.
Old 31st March 2011, 17:18   #97
BHPian

I am in full support with SB.
First: People stop doubting about whether IKON guy would be able to take his car out/in without trouble. Please take SBís word for it. For those detectives he has provided visuals.
Second: What would you do in SB situation? This completely depends on the person who is involved and his frame of mind at that point of time. I at my best mood would have protested.
Third: Law. Itís made by the people for the people taking most common situations into consideration. Any interpretation can only be done taking all possible angles into consideration which may vary case to case. Not every time you need to follow it. Commonsense is the key here. Use it all the time.
A short story for all: Past during my bachelor days we used to live in a nice upper middleclass residential area. The family, an elderly man his wife and two daughters, who lived opposite to us, used to curse us for everything, for the music we put, for parking our bikes and cars on the road (of course on our side of the narrow road but not obstructing traffic) and for numerous other things. We used to think that they were the biggest morons around.
On a rainy night our neighbor had a medical emergency and they came to us and in next five minutes we arranged a car (we went to almost all the houses around who had a car and most didnít open the door. But there was one good guy who said he can come along who was a complete stranger to us till then) and took him to the hospital. You wonít believe the way things changed after that, we all suddenly became good guys and they turned out be nice accommodating people.
Further, one night I was coming back on outer ring road (that point of time there were nothing but paddy fields and used to be scary) and saw one guy waving hands for help as his car was broken down. I stopped and to my surprise it was that guy who came with us to the hospital. As the place was not safe during night he was waving at all the vehicles that were passing by but none stopped except me. What goes around comes around.
Be accommodative to people, animals, trees, birds and everything around. All have got right to live here.
Old 31st March 2011, 17:30   #98
Team-BHP Support

There's enough discussion happening here and it's a great read, must say. But..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The replies to the thread are utterly ignorant one's. A road is "NOT" a free for all parking area.
This tone of voice is not on. Spitfire, I would like to request to control this kind of tone henceforth. Thanks.
Old 31st March 2011, 17:59   #99
BHPian

You are still in the parking lot in front of the Ikon guys house and he must have got over this issue already and moved ahead.

Drop it here and next time you visit your friend's place and happen to see the ikon guy, Just say sorry for the incident and who know's even he would say sorry.

I believe you both were right and wrong.

Last edited by rvmohankumar : 31st March 2011 at 18:00.
Old 31st March 2011, 18:20   #100
BHPian

Have gone through the first couple of pages only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
His building looks illegal too. You need to have 10 meters gap from the compound wall to the building.
Are you serious!!!??? 10 mtrs is 30+ feet man. If he has to leave that much gap from the compaound wall, then there will be ONLY compound wall As far as I know, in most cities, it is approx 1mtr. and the gap varies with the size of the plot.

Coming to the topic, probably your friend's neighbour had very bad experiences with other visitors to that apartment. OR he had a bad day.

The rules ... most traffic rules in this country are still from the Raj period. When its hardly couple of vehicles parked on that road, it looks fine. Imagine when everyone has parked their cars on the very same road. Will the road now look as broad as it looks now?

People here take parking on the road as granted. How many new houses are constructed with parking just for couple of 2-wheelers and still have atleast 1 car which they park on the road? (This is the scenario in Bangalore and I believe that would be same in most cities) We then complain of narrow roads.

I have seen so many verhicles being parked on the footpath. This results in people walking on the the roads and there are times when moving vehicles brush the pedastrian. Now who should be blamed - the driver who was driving his vehicle on the road OR the person walking on the side of the road OR the person who parked his vehicle on the footpath?

My point - try avoiding parking on the road/footpath as much as possible. When completely unavoidable try parking with least hindrance to other drivers and pedastrians. (Here, I appreciate the thoughts of SB to try parking as close as possible to the gate. But, probably could have avoided the argument)

PS: I myself had been invovled in such an heated argument and I was arguing for my friend who had parked similarly to SB. But, later on introspection I felt I was wrong in arguing as roads are meant for vehicles to move and not parking.
Old 31st March 2011, 22:11   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk
Are you serious!!!??? 10 mtrs is 30+ feet man. As far as I know, in most cities, it is approx 1mtr. and the gap varies with the size of the plot.
I think 10mtrs was a typo. In Chennai as I remember it, it ranges from 3ft-5ft depending on the side of the plot. Ofcourse it is another matter that most houses dont follow this. Very common to see two adjacent independent-homes (not flats) sharing the same wall ie. forget 3ft, both have left 0-feet gap between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk
But, later on introspection I felt I was wrong in arguing as roads are meant for vehicles to move and not parking.
While roads are indeed for movement of traffic, it is not true that you cannot park on roads at all. Some links posted in the earlier pages make this clear and the fact that legal road-side parkings exist not just in India but other countries too, corroborate this.

What is missing here is the authorities identifying roads where you can park, paint parking-lines there and for those streets where you can't park, install NoParking boards. But this is the ideal scenario and when our roads don't even have medians or footpaths or even painted-lanes, what to say about parking-lines ? I think we will get there too. Reason being I see driving-lanes being painted on not only most Chennai roads, but even the small road in my town at Kerala - the first time in my life when I saw lane painted on that road. A good sign IMO for better things in the future.

@rvmohankumar, this is not a rant against the Ikon-guy. I don't know about you, but I am sure quite some information and different view-points were shared on this thread by many, which might help others.
Old 1st April 2011, 00:05   #102

Wink Re: I believe I parked on the street within rules. But a neighbour differs. Who is ri

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
If the person has faced issues with many visitors, I really think he should have done something about his garage gate. Talking rudely about/to your neighbours guest, it's not courteous at all. I really admire SB for alteast trying to make the guy realise his mistake. Enchroachment is a big issue in India with space crunch and guys like these shouldn't be promoted for thinking the road outside their house belongs to them. In my city, such people end up building gardens and digging up the road for their pipeline faults, if not dealt up on time
@markmytravel;2297587 : The Ikon guy sent the watchman for SB to request/ask him to remove the car. Assuming that he could have parked his car without removing SB's car, he could have always deflated the tyres to show his anger. He was curteous by not doing so.....let's appreciate that. And for the second part of the argument about enchroachment, from the pic, he is just a normal guy with a house and see no encroachment. Let's not make a demon of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
First things first, there was absolutely nothing wrong in the way you parked your car.

I can imagine what you go through on a daily basis. How do you deal with this problem ?
Rohan
I request them to remove and most of them oblige without a fuss (on a lighter note : I am 5.11, 100 Kgs with a handle bar mustache, do they have a choice?!! )

On a serious note, sometimes people give me the funda of 5 mins...10 mins, then I leave the car in such a way that none of the customers will be able to remove their vechiles including the guy's who refused to move and walk home, everyone from the shop owner to the customer come running behind me requesting me to move now

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
'Same' part I understand, but how come 'more'? Jus because he stays in the area ? It is not even on his side of the road.

@JungleBoy, regarding your 3 points about it being difficult for him to get his car in, I had a good look at the place yesterday night when I went there to drop my friend and today morning when I picked him up. Inspite of the 3 constraints, there is loads of space for him to get in/out with the way I had parked. Also, don't you think that the 3 constraints were the result of his poor design of home/garage and flouting the rules ? After building illegally, do you think he can shout at someone who has parked properly ?
@supremeBaleno;2297929 : I said 'if not more' - meaning both are equal.

As I had stated earlier, he looks like anyother normal guy with a normal house. I don't see what's illegal there!! Now, if you want to scrutinize the building plans and check the rule flauntings, you have to start with your friends apartment, who have not cared to provide visitors parking area. I would hold them directly responsible for strangers/visitors creating a nuisance in the neighborhood.

Here the right question you have to ask yourself is "If I park here, will it be a nuisance to others?!!!", (Which I am sure your friends Apartment builders/association have never thought and never will!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
He and another friend are in their car at the Perungudi toll. Due to a snag in the toll m/c, the operator is taking more than normal time to give the receipt. An impatient SUV driver behind them is honking, which irritates them. They ignore him. He honks again. Again they ignore. He continues honking. Finally when they get the toll-ticket, they move on, but only after showing their irritation by flipping the bird at him. Now the SUV guy is pissed off and comes after them without even paying the toll and getting his car out just before the toll gates could come down. He makes them stop the car, comes to their window and just says "Kolai panniduven" (I will kill you) in a menacing way. Given his menacing looks and because the guy has 2 others with him in the car, my friends don't utter a word. And move on.
@supremeBaleno;2298034 : again here... it was so obvious that the man in the SUV is irritated with the toll guy and is honking, why did your frnds take an offence and flip the bird at it?

Likewise, the Ikon guy was only cursing the visitors who dont park the car properly, but you are the man, convinced that you have parked it right!!! then why take an offence and refuse to remove the car just because of his statement?!! Guilty concious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
My Xylo's parking space in my building opens to the side towards a boundary wall. When there weren't many 4 wheelers in the building, I could reverse out while turning at the same time to face the outward gate. The situation now is that there are cars parked alongside the wall - similar to the way the Alto was parked in the original picture and my parking slot being the ikon guys'. I now need to do a 2-3 iteration reversing before I can get on my way.
I complain - no. Why? Because I understand the limitations around me -and I adapt.
@mmxylorider;2298496: My dear xylo brother, by your comments its looks like you are living in an apartment and you are talking about parking within your apartment limits. You are not doing any favour by not complaining. You hardly have a choice as you live in an apartment where the parking is ill-planned by the developer/association. You have to take it up with them or live with it.

But here the case is entirely different. The debate is - "is it not my right to 'park properly' on a public road??. If anybody is annoyed, let him first prove his driving skills and then prove that he has not flaunted any building by-laws and then I 'may' move my car, or better he alter his structure of the house "

I don't know if the Ikon guy is reading all this, If you are (and others in the forum like him and me ), I want to end my arguments with this sincere advice : Compatriot, action speaks louder than words. Deflate the tyres and you find no one parking there again. I am sure its not a sin or a crime.

Ciao....

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st April 2011 at 00:49. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed, Please read the board rules carefully, thanks
Old 1st April 2011, 01:07   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy View Post
Deflate the tyres and you find no one parking there again. I am sure its not a sin or a crime.
And so is parking there again next time, with a spare flash charged at 300V and leaked on rims.

That guy would never touch any tire with intentions of deflation ever again in life

This would not be lethal or harmful, so should not be a sin or crime.
Old 1st April 2011, 11:53   #104
BHPian

From my understanding, the IKON owner did not want to park in his garage, but on the road in front of his house. Another car on the other side of the road might shrink the space too much for regular passage of traffic. Parking rights to the road in front of one's house are assumed throughout India. Unless law is clear and enforced, such fights will be likely.

Of course, in this case, just like the IKON guy doesn't want to take the trouble of parking his car in his garage (my assumption), he should not expect the apartment complex folks to take the trouble to park inside.
Old 1st April 2011, 12:17   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy View Post
@mmxylorider;2298496: My dear xylo brother, by your comments its looks like you are living in an apartment and you are talking about parking within your apartment limits. You are not doing any favour by not complaining. You hardly have a choice as you live in an apartment where the parking is ill-planned by the developer/association. You have to take it up with them or live with it.
I don't think you understood what I meant. It's not an ideal world we live in and everybody has to adapt to his surroundings. The ikon guy in his situation and me in mine can scream all we want with no end. SB was gracious enough to move and I am ok with another 2 mins of additional time to get on my way. That's just me.

SB - sorry for threadjacking.
Closed Thread