Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 7th April 2011, 19:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Inorbit Mall opens in Pune - Be careful with kids

Yes both shopper's stop and spar have opened at inorbit pune.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 19:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Maybe I am just paranoid..
you are not. Escalators and elevators are some very powerful machines which don't care for some human tissue as long as a sensor is not tripped. I have seen people extending hands to stop an elevator. One malfunctioning sensor and the door will close, taking the person up while leaving his hand downstairs.

And I a not making up stories, people and kids have died on these machines. In the following case the escalator developed a gap or hole of some kind and swallowed the girl.

BBC News | SOUTH ASIA | Horror at Delhi escalator death
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 22:11   #18
dot
Senior - BHPian

Friends, many of you have spoken on this thread. While not mentioning individual names and handles, let me express my thanks. I am glad that the topic has been thought provoking. It is our duty as parents to be responsible for our innocent kids. Humbly request that who so ever visit this lovely mall to be careful and talk to the authorities about the "gaps". I will also do the same.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 23:25   #19
Team-BHP Support

This is a total design fail on the part of the mall architect. Full credit to dot for noticing it and to the mall staff for acting quickly to prevent someone getting badly hurt, or worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeshdamle View Post
Guys,
Really Sorry for being Harsh here; but aren't we suppose to take care of our own kids rather than blaming others for the design? I am not saying that the Mall owners should be negligent on their part, but aren't we being more complacent in this case now.

Why are we ourself not responsible for taking care of our own kids like our parents were? Why do we blame for everything that happens to our kids on others.

This is just a thought.

I think he behaved responsibly enough, don't you think? That doesn't absolve the architect, designers and whoever else was responsible for the gaps being present from their duty to provide a safe environment. If some government agency dug a hole in the road and a kid fell into it while playing, would you blame the agency or the child's parents> How is this different?
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 15:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

@dot: Thanks for the heads-up. I will be visiting the mall soon with family and will look out for this. Hopefully they would have taken some measures by now.

@jayeshdamle: It is practically not possible to run after kids all the time, so such design issues add to our challenges as parents.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 15:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

@Dot : Thanks for bringing this to our notice. I dont have any kids in my family (if you discount me ) , but I will surely bring this to everybody's notice around me.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 16:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

I went to the Inorbit mall over the weekend and tried to look for places which @dot has highlighted.
I think the major ones have all been blocked by keeping large (and possibly heavy) flower pots. I am wondering if these pots have been placed after @dot complained or they were present in lesser numbers earlier?

There are still a few gaps, but I found them to be narrow (maybe they border around the dangerous mark).
First hand opinions of other BHPians invited.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 00:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Just wanted to point out that those with kids visiting inorbit pune, should also take a look at mothercare which is located inside shopper's stop. One can find a good range of car seats, as well as other kid related car products here.
Drive Safe!
Old 7th May 2011, 18:51   #24
dot
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Safety Concerns at Public Places

Friends, Went to Inorbit Mall today. To our pleasant surprise we found that the safety concerns has been addressed. Glass/PMMA panels have been installed at places where huge gaps had existed before. So the big kid-unfriendly gaps near pillars and elevators are no longer there.

Take a look and compare with the initial pictures.
Safety Concerns at Public Places-07052011457.jpg

Safety Concerns at Public Places-07052011458.jpg

Safety Concerns at Public Places-07052011459.jpg

Kudos to the management for addressing this concern.
Old 7th May 2011, 22:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

This is great. You, dot deserve the kudos as well for bringing it to their notice.

In Orbit Mall cannot afford any bad publicity and they had to do it for their as well as the customers good.
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 02:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @dot for this post, and once again for bringing it to the notice of those concerned at inorbit.

OT : we were headed too inorbit today, but a last minute change of plan, saw us heading towards gold adlabs. else probably would have spotted your stcikers and posted.
Old 2nd July 2011, 20:30   #27
dot
Senior - BHPian

Phoenix Market Place Mall opens in Pune. It is almost next to the Inorbit Mall. The mall is enormous, only about 10% shops are functional at this point of time. It is perhaps designed to be a high end mall. As you enter you see a person playing piano and Gucci and Guess shops.

The entry to the basement parking floors has two very sharp U-turns on a decline. Ditto for the exits and this time it is on incline. While a huge sign does warn you of a sharp bend, the bend is too sharp in reality. They really need to install some mirrors at those bends. I had to back out at each of the four turns. Thankfully no one was behind, so it was easy. When the mall becomes fully functional, I believe that these points will be troublesome unless a mirror or a man is stationed at these bends.
Old 2nd July 2011, 20:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

This is a good thread Dot, im glad you bought this up.

One finds, in our Country, many things are taken for granted. Most are of course, unintentional but some are just cost saving measures. The realization is unfortunately only in the hour of distress or after the calamity has struck. I think we should used the information here and contact the concerned people responsible in that organization. Let this be an express information, so that it it taken in its right sense. If there is failure to act then it should be bought to the notice of the authorities. OF course graver violations should be at once bought to the notice of the concerned persons and also to the authorities so that the action taken would be at lightening speed.
I used to visit the Kumar Resort Lonavala, a waterpark resort, many times in the past with my kids when they were toddlers. Once i noticed to my horror, that the staris leading to the children's slide was rusted and also had some sections missing. That meant the rust had eaten through the metal which was under water. Imagine getting cut by that part and then contacting tetanus etc. I bought it to the notice of the owners who tried to brush it away till i took a pic in my camera and threatened, if this was not fixed within a week and a notice not out there immediately, warning about the rust or simply saying this section closed, id inform the authorities and the press. The threat worked and they put a sign up immediately. I also demanded to know who was in charge of maintenance of that part as he was obviously not doing his job. There was no one. They also undertook the repairs of the ladder/staircase but i never went there back again.

If you want to see a horror for kids, visit the Orchid hotel coffee shop in Bombay near the airport. Its like a suspended mezzanine and really really dangerous for a kid to be even thinking of looking out of. Very scary. It overlooks huge planters and God forbid if an unsupervised kid or even an adult tries to reach out at a plant. Sure shot free fall of 25-30 feet. Horror.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 13:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot
Phoenix Market Place Mall opens in Pune. It is almost next to the Inorbit Mall. The mall is enormous, only about 10% shops are functional at this point of time. It is perhaps designed to be a high end mall. As you enter you see a person playing piano and Gucci and Guess shops.

The entry to the basement parking floors has two very sharp U-turns on a decline. Ditto for the exits and this time it is on incline. While a huge sign does warn you of a sharp bend, the bend is too sharp in reality. They really need to install some mirrors at those bends. I had to back out at each of the four turns. Thankfully no one was behind, so it was easy. When the mall becomes fully functional, I believe that these points will be troublesome unless a mirror or a man is stationed at these bends.
You know what this is actually the very same problem at Phoenix high street and palladium in Mumbai.
The turns are too narrow. And I had to back up twice as there was not enough space to negotiate a u turn for exit.