Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 13th April 2011, 20:55   #1
BHPian

Default Language Project

Dear BHPians,

I have undertaken a small personal language project. This is based on the idea of rendering of as many Indian languages in the Devnagari script. Find attached in this thread a draft version. There are still mistakes in this - will be correcting it over the next week or so.

Once I am done in reviewing all language entries I intend to take it to a larger audience for feedback. That would increase the accuracy of the rendering.

I was looking at possible use of this, if any. Of course I am happy if it remains a research initiative! However, my feeling is there could be use for this (of course, not in the current form of newspaper articles) in being an aid to help people overcome the script barrier when learning a language. For instance, many of us BHPians have shifted cities and have faced problems in learning the local language due to the script. Or that we are in a position to teach our children any language using this route.

Do you think it could help? Request your feedback!

carZest
Attached Files
File Type: pdf devnagariProject.pdf (460.6 KB, 305 views)
carZest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 18:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Language Project

Good initiative carZest, even if I *am* seeing this about 5 months too late!

Unfortunately the only languages I know are expressed in Devanagari script but I did wade through the Punjabi and Gujarati versions and they were eminently readable. I often think if we standardised on one script across the country we would (like the Chinese or Japanese) be in a much better position to use regional languages to their full capability. But it's too late for this I guess and from a practical standpoint English is a much easier option.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote