Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2011, 18:53   #1
BHPian
 
absoluteyogi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 30
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Powered paragliding in India

I am sure many TBHPians are into Adventure Sports. Here is a question that I am looking an answer for a long time. About paragliding. As of now, there are no governing rules or licenses as such to fly a paraglider. So anyone who knows how to can fly a paraglider.

My question is, when you use a trike or an engine powered propeller to go along with paraglider, does it fall under the category of microlight/ultralight? In that case one would require license to fly (Pilot's License (Microlights)).

Does one require any license or clearance or permit to fly a powered paraglider in India?

Thanks.

Cheers
absoluteyogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 13:59   #2
BHPian
 
driverace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 406
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: Question (HELP): Powered paragliding in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteyogi View Post
I am sure many TBHPians are into Adventure Sports. Here is a question that I am looking an answer for a long time. About paragliding. As of now, there are no governing rules or licenses as such to fly a paraglider. So anyone who knows how to can fly a paraglider.

My question is, when you use a trike or an engine powered propeller to go along with paraglider, does it fall under the category of microlight/ultralight? In that case one would require license to fly (Pilot's License (Microlights)).

Does one require any license or clearance or permit to fly a powered paraglider in India?

Thanks.

Cheers
I am in - for any activity that gets me in air!
But- Paragliding ( and powered Para-gliding ), I am very cautious about it - albeit far more is the interest in doing it!

I am also seeking information about it.
I heard- safety issues cropped up and stopped some paragliding activity near Bangalore. ( Someone even died during one of these flights near Bangalore - wind-powered )

With proper safety and quality equipment - I am ready to go.

Let me know also- If you happen to plan on catching any action.

Thanks,

Ace.

EDIT: Old Post-bumped- I know- but, was going to post about very same thing, and this post was still here.

Last edited by driverace : 23rd March 2012 at 14:03.
driverace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 14:08   #3
BHPian
 
Tapish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 237
Thanked: 233 Times
Default Re: Question (HELP): Powered paragliding in India

I had inquired about the Pinjore Flying club.

Very cheap but apparently, their gliders are not well maintained.

If anyone can share some information on Flying near Delhi, I shall be most interested.

Cheers,
Tapish
Tapish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 14:14   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: pune
Posts: 92
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Question (HELP): Powered paragliding in India

I think there are few guys on this forum who are into it. As for me I have been flying my glider for last two years in the mountains of Kamshet, Pune. Then around the places like Pokhara, Nepal, Bali and down south India Yelagiri. There are couple of schools operating out of kamshet area. Most of them are very good at what they do and have been doing for more than 10 years. I learned through Paragliding in India,Paragliding India, Paragliding courses, Mumbai, Pune, India, Paragliding tandem, forum, Paragliding photo gallery.

Now one work of caution , never try tandom rides in tourist place like Manali or Mahabaleshwar. There is whole world of difference in being flown by a tangawala who recently bought very old poor quality equipments and trying hard to recover his investment. On the other hand in Kamshet you will be flown by instructors who has more than 10 years of experience in flying and teaching the same. Some of the guys here participate in international competitions, few are ex Air Force gold medalist fighter pilot and so on.


Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
I am in - for any activity that gets me in air!
But- Paragliding ( and powered Para-gliding ), I am very cautious about it - albeit far more is the interest in doing it!

I am also seeking information about it.
I heard- safety issues cropped up and stopped some paragliding activity near Bangalore. ( Someone even died during one of these flights near Bangalore - wind-powered )

With proper safety and quality equipment - I am ready to go.

Let me know also- If you happen to plan on catching any action.

Thanks,

Ace.

EDIT: Old Post-bumped- I know- but, was going to post about very same thing, and this post was still here.
rohitrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 15:06   #5
BHPian
 
Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 556
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: Question (HELP): Powered paragliding in India

I had a ex colleague who was into it. He used to take classes at Jakkur flying club for some 6k an hour, 3 years back.
If you guys want more info, I can check with him.
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 15:12   #6
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,293
Thanked: 18,822 Times
Default Re: Question (HELP): Powered paragliding in India

I think these guys offer powered paragliding.

Paragliding in India,Paragliding India, Paragliding courses, Mumbai, Pune, India, Paragliding tandem, forum, Paragliding photo gallery

We were supposed to do this in Pawana but the winds were not in our favour but I do remember them mentioning that they have powered paragliders.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 16:11   #7
BHPian
 
driverace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 406
Thanked: 142 Times
Smile Re: Question (HELP): Powered paragliding in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitrk View Post
..
As for me I have been flying my glider for last two years in the mountains of Kamshet, Pune. Then around the places like Pokhara, Nepal, Bali and down south India Yelagiri.

Woah- we have a veteran among us!
Would love to learn the basics from you and some videos please- if you dont mind!

Now one work of caution , never try tandom rides in tourist place like Manali or Mahabaleshwar. ..
On the other hand in Kamshet you will be flown by instructors who has more than 10 years of experience in flying and teaching the same. Some of the guys here participate in international competitions, few are ex Air Force gold medalist fighter pilot and so on.
Well- that ^ was exactly what I was looking for.
I do not want to have a Uh-ohh moment in mid air or on ground.
I do read about risks of going up- and I want be assured that- safety is on top priority where I learn!

Checking out the link now!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I had a ex colleague who was into it. He used to take classes at Jakkur flying club for some 6k an hour, 3 years back.
If you guys want more info, I can check with him.
Sure please do- and share some links if possible!
I am interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I think these guys offer powered paragliding.
..
We were supposed to do this in Pawana but the winds were not in our favour but I do remember them mentioning that they have powered paragliders.
Yeah- Vid6639 - I had read about it in the Mods-chill-weekend thread!
That's exactly where I got my interest up again!

Well - if not the pool with that backdrop- at least my feet in the air!!

Checking the links for now.

Thanks folks!

Ace.
driverace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 17:19   #8
BHPian
 
driverace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 406
Thanked: 142 Times
Post Re: Question (HELP): Powered paragliding in India

In the past one hour- besides Reading about Paragliding and day dreaming about it, and watching a few videos about it-
I have done thisMy Post in Pune Meet section

Guys- this looks good!
And- I really wanted to do this since like long time.

Not going to let it go now

Thanks to the thread- and the contributors!

Peace,

Ace.
driverace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 15:22   #9
BHPian
 
DesertKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jodhpur, Rajasthan
Posts: 460
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: Powered paragliding in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
I had inquired about the Pinjore Flying club.

Very cheap but apparently, their gliders are not well maintained.

If anyone can share some information on Flying near Delhi, I shall be most interested.

Cheers,
Tapish
Tapish, in case you are travelling to the desert side of India, you can try paragliding at Jaisalmer. For more details, pls visit www.skyventures.in. They are following the international safety slandereds and are very experienced.
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering Students build India's 1st Solar-Powered Vehicle S2!!! Technical Stuff 0 9th July 2014 16:42
Mumbai : Paragliding, rock climbing, kayak surfing, mountain biking, archery & more! GTO Shifting gears 6 4th April 2013 17:39
OTR & Paragliding: Palakkad Off-Road Adventure's "Off-Road Extreme 2013" JeepCaptain 4x4 Excursions 7 2nd March 2013 12:45
ParaSailing, ParaGliding, Mountain Climbing or River rafting etc., in HP? tsk1979 Route / Travel Queries 3 18th January 2010 13:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks