Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 23rd April 2011, 22:59   #1
BHPian

Default My Spark got into a hit-and-run accident .. :(

We (the wife, the kid - 7 months and I) were driving about yesterday. There were torrential rains near MG Road area and so we decided to get out of there quickly and get back home near Sarjapur road. We took the road nearby Lemongrass restaurant to head towards the ORR - SJP area. The corner was flooded with atleast two feet of water and so everyone was driving carefully.

Since the right side has a little bit less water, everyone was slowly going through the motions. I was behind a Sumo (from IBM) and was stopped. A car came from the left side and whacked us right into the Sumo in front of us. Luckily the kid was in my wife's arms and so he got saved. She hit her face on him and sustained a minor bruise on her lip.

Within seconds, the driver who hit us, immediately backed-up his car and fled the scene of the accident. I tried to catch him and I drove to the HSR layout junction and couldn't find him. The IBM Sumo guy thought I was fleeing the scene and came up and started to flay his arms. I just didn't bother (I could've subdued him but had a crying kid and a freaked out wife in the car). Luckily a policeman appeared and after explaining to him, he let me go with a warning to the cab driver to behave himself. In the middle of all this, the cab driver took my mobile and left. I had to call him and then the employee in the cab finally convinced the driver to give it to me. So I drove to the ORR Hyundai showroom and then got it from him.

Then i noticed that the tire was flat. So I got around to the Tyre World place right by the junction where he helped me put on the spare.

I am livid that the guy who started all this escaped and I am here trying to get things in order. If I may request for a few things

1. I remember that the ending number of the fleeing car is 8054 (I am not totally sure) and its a Hyundai i10 and its red in color. That much I know. If any of you come across a car who's got a front right side crash thats recent and is a red car, can you please inform me?

2. May I please know approximate costs for the following? a) rear wheel, b) rear tire c) rear bumper

Thank you for helping out a fellow T-Bhpian. Please don't go out of your way for any of these requests. Just inform me please. Who knows what kinda crackhead is driving that car.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 23:33   #2
BHPian

Default Re: My Spark got into a hit-and-run accident .. :(

Mad Max, Really sad to hear this and thank god that the accident was minor and nothing happened to the little one and your wife. The guy who drove the hyundai must be immature to flee the accident site with out even bothering to enquire. I am also happy to hear you getting back your mobile. Your caution to the community is highly appreciated and worth the attempt to trace the culprit. Do keep us posted and sure will keep an eye on the "I". Take care.
Indian Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 23:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Ranger View Post
Mad Max, Really sad to hear this and thank god that the accident was minor and nothing happened to the little one and your wife. The guy who drove the hyundai must be immature to flee the accident site with out even bothering to enquire. I am also happy to hear you getting back your mobile. Your caution to the community is highly appreciated and worth the attempt to trace the culprit. Do keep us posted and sure will keep an eye on the "I". Take care.
Mad max.sorry for the freak accident.hope your family is alright.why dont you lodge a complaint with police.I am sure with the info you have they will be able to identify the driver of the hit and run car
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 23:59   #4
BHPian

Hey, so sorry to hear about your incident. Isn't there an option to look up the car number online?

Edit: I guess this (Karnataka RTO - sms RTO to get Vehicle details) works only if you have the complete regn. no.

Last edited by MA5K : 24th April 2011 at 00:01.
MA5K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 00:03   #5
Team-BHP Support

Mad Max, Please invest in a good car seat for your kid.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 00:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

2. May I please know approximate costs for the following? a) rear wheel, b) rear tire c) rear bumper
Hi madmax, sorry to hear about the accident. Thankfully nothing happened to you and your family. Forget about that i10 guy, disappointingly it is common all across the country especially here in NCR. You may claim insurance to cover up all replacement charges to some extent. Drive Safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA5K View Post
Hey, so sorry to hear about your incident. Isn't there an option to look up the car number online?
Sadly this type of system is not available in India as per my information but it is there in other foreign countries.
bluevolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 00:08   #7
BHPian

Mad Max - sorry to hear about that, the rains were bad, I was out driving with the family too, terrible!! Glad that everyone is safe.

I dont seem to have a pm option to reach you and I dont want to give out my email address/number on a Forum for spammers/telesales or other such forms of potential misuse on the net, so, how does one reach you?

Not sure how I can help but if you are serious about tracking these guys, I know a few people on the force who may help, and dont worry about the car parts, if the damage is minor then half a day is all it will take to set you on your way smiling!

Dont let it dent it get you down, as they say, bad things happen and we find all kinds on the road! Luck was still on your side. Cheers!

Last edited by Vid6639 : 24th April 2011 at 00:20. Reason: **** = foul language indirectly.
DevilsOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 00:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Sadly this type of system is not available in India as per my information but it is there in other foreign countries.
Its available for kerala
.: Kerala Motor Vehicles Department :. REGISTRATION DETAILS
bullboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 00:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Really sorry about the accident. Did you register an FIR with the police? I suggest you do it just to be safe.

About finding the numbers online, it is possible in many of the states these days (KL and KA links already posted above). The problem is, this could very well be a PY, KL, TN vehicle plying in Bangalore, we can't be sure!

Btw, shouldn't this be in the Street and Travel experiences section?
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 01:49   #10
BHPian

Madmax - Sorry to hear about the incident. I guess you should take it up depending on your repair expense. If it's not too high then it might be better to just forget about the issue.
ajman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 02:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Mad Max, for a self proclaimed sober driver, you have one hell of a nick name. Jokes apart, try to come to live in reality. If someone bashes you and flees and an occupant inside your car is hurt, the most prudent thing to do would be to attend to the injured and not try to vent your anger by chasing a fleeing car. You could have endangered not only yourself or your family, some innocent pedestrians too, not just yourself, but the sumo guy too. It is always wise to wait and take a few breaths before you decide what you have to do in these situations.

P.S. Forget about the i10, get it out of your system.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 06:34   #12
BHPian

IMHO you should do the following:

1. Please give an intimation to the police and lodge a FIR. This would not only keep a tab on the i 10 but also protect you from further issues as the Sumo owner may also take up the matter with the police.

2. Make an assessment of your losses and find out whether you would gain by not claiming insurance as the "No Claim Bonus" would exceed the repair costs.

3. As advised by bblost immediately buy a car seat for your kid.

Last edited by Gautam Misra : 24th April 2011 at 06:35.
Gautam Misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 06:56   #13
BHPian

Sorry to hear this incident MadMax.
As suggested by BBlost go for a kid car seat ASAP
Also, you can use those "Baby on Board" cards

Launching an FIR (if you seriously want to get into guys head) but a long process. Moreover, you need to keep your car as it is after the hit till the Police work is over.
nomadabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 08:47   #14
BHPian

MadMax: Sorry to hear about the incident but be glad that no serious injury happened.
Instead of chasing, if you had just stayed and noticed the regn no, it could've been better. But it's very difficult to act sensibly in such situations.
But car(baby seat) is as important as the engine when you have a kid (from my own experience).
ch.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 10:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

sorry to hear about your incident.
That really was a roller coaster ride, one thing leading to another.
As mentioned earlier do invest in a car seat for your kid, it's the best gift you can give your child.
hope you get your car issues sorted out at the earliest
Drive Safe!
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote