Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 9th May 2011, 00:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Do you follow "Parking Etiquette" ?

There are very few people who have parking sense. I always believe the second most important thing that the driving schools should teach a new driver is parking sense, I wonder if a sense can be taught, it should be there.

Parking at a public place and complaining is one thing, but when i park my car in my designated covered parking slot in my apartment and I find that another very sensitive soul has actually locked my car in that slot by parking his car right behind me is very very irritating. It is always a visitor to the colony. Which door should I knock to find out the owner of this car ?

Or the other way around, I come back from office and I find a car which totally blocks my reserved slot, I honk and honk, now which door should I knock to find out the owner of this car ? It has happened many many times.

Now, when the latter happens, what I do is just park and block the way of this senseless driver. But they easily find out where I live and come knocking on my door at 11.30 or 12.00 in the night and offer a stupid apology a sheepish grin. Believe me guys, I have been facing this for the last 8 years and i do not have a solution for this.

This is like getting yourself locked in or locked out of your own house.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 13:50   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Do you follow "Parking Etiquette" ?

When I park in a slot, I try as far as possible to reverse into it, so the front of my car is pointing outwards. I have found people are less likely to block your way out since some realise they would be parking directly in front of the car.

Doesn't work always. But I have found my way blocked by bikes who park behind me more often after I've driven straight into a parking slot and not reversed into it.
straightdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 17:42   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The car which was earlier in the front/rear moves out and another clown comes in and feels it is moral duty to ensure not an inch of the road goes waste. End result : I have no place to move out my car!
While it is not possible all the times, I try and anticipate a bad move by another motorist and I am sometimes careful not to leave a gap that can be "over exploited" by another rickshaw or biker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
I had to wait patiently for next 15 odd minutes when the driver of the Fusion turned up and guess what... it was a lady (late 30s, formal attire etc) ;-). I waved my hand asking her if this was the right way of parking one's car. Only thing that I was expecting from her was an apologetic look but... what I got in return was a finger.

I was left speechless by her act. Don't know how to react to such incidences.
It has always amazed me how people feel affronted by every and any indication of less than perfect behavior on their part - rather than feel sheepish/apologetic about it in a friendly way. This particular behavior is an indicator of a demand for narcissistic adoration. You are "screwed" if you don't oblige the other persons desire for blind adoration and ego inflation. In another thread related to TV viewing habits I had mentioned that our society suffers from a hidden epidemic where a large population is infected with malignant form of narcissism. To me this is yet another example of the case.

Being on the road is a co-operative venture where we need to look out and watch out for others as much as ourselves.

OT but thinking out aloud, I sometimes wonder where we fail as a society ... methods of Schooling? Families and Parenting?

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 9th May 2011 at 17:44.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 17:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
But folding ORVM also has another effect, it reduces the effective distance even more and the car next to you parks even closer!!
Which is why I never fold ORVMs when parking in my office parking. ORVMs would (1) somewhat increase the width of the car (2) take the impact of the door of the other car when the moron slams it open (3) repaint would be less costly & less obvious in case of scratches

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
When I park in a slot, I try as far as possible to reverse into it, so the front of my car is pointing outwards. I have found people are less likely to block your way out since some realise they would be parking directly in front of the car.
This had backfired in my experience and had to get the right fender dented/re-painted (have a thread on this also). You are right when it comes to bikers as they wouldn't park in front of a vehicle facing towards them (though a lot of morons still do) however if there are cars parked on either side of you and you have a hatchback they are more likely to oversteer due to the reduced height of your car's front. Basically they fail to estimate the length of the car due to reduced height (which is less visible than a car's rear in case of hatchback). God help those who have sedans. Not everyone might buy this theory but its debatable. May be because someone's not hit my car's rear yet I believe in it.

Oh and just to add, all dents/scratches (3 on 3 fenders, 1 on front door, several on front bumper in the last 1 year) on my car till date are thanks to the office parking only (not even public ). I actually wanted to start a thread when I got my latest dent (last week) on how to avoid scratches/dent in parking but realized that the ultimate answer to all is to have an SUV that has plastic cladding up till the level of other car's bumpers and bull bars front & rear which is why my next car has to be an SUV. Other obvious solutions are to not pay heed to any fresh dents/scratches on the car (the state which I guess I'll achieve in no time now, thanks to Delhi traffic) and have one less thing to worry about on your 'Things that stress me' list.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 19:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
On a lighter note,You should probably start learning those moves from the movie Shaolin Soccer Might help you not only in getting the car out but parking them in, as well.
You don't need to be a shaolin master to move cars. The driver had forgotten to engage the parking brake. I was able to push the nano away

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
Coming to the point. I had parked my car in between 2 cars. There was around 1-1.5 feet distance on either sides of my car. I came back after some time to see that the entire left side of my car(front & rear door) was dented, scratched and that black thingy(I call it beading) was lying on the ground.
Man, similar thing happened to me last November. Car was parked opposite my building. I happened to look out the window & see the car cover was lying on the ground. On closer look, there seemed to be a large whitish mark on the side of the car. I quickly ran downstairs to find my car had been scraped, dented, bruised from rear bumper to front bumper, involving both my doors. The driver's door handle was hanging by a wire! Total cost to the insurance company, a measly Rs.50000 & a lot of inconvenience during my exams, including trips to the police station

Name:  P1010809.JPG
Views: 442
Size:  191.3 KB

Name:  P1010810.JPG
Views: 443
Size:  179.2 KB

Name:  P1010811.JPG
Views: 471
Size:  171.7 KB

Name:  P1010816.JPG
Views: 481
Size:  165.2 KB

Got a spot assigned to me in my building compound as soon as the car came back from repairs. The hazards of bombay parking!! What's worse was that noone claims to have seen who or what caused the damage!
Musicmaker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 20:45   #21
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicmaker23 View Post

Man, similar thing happened to me last November.

I quickly ran downstairs to find my car had been scraped, dented, bruised from rear bumper to front bumper, involving both my doors. The driver's door handle was hanging by a wire

What's worse was that noone claims to have seen who or what caused the damage!
Terrible! Felt really terrible after hearing your experience and watching the pictures. Even though the incident is about six months old, you feel terrible, specially when no one owned up the accident.

I have come to this realization that we should feel lucky to comeback to our parked cars and find it in the shape we had left it.

Last edited by dot : 9th May 2011 at 20:47.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 15:53   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicmaker23 View Post
Man, similar thing happened to me last November... What's worse was that none claims to have seen who or what caused the damage!
I can imagine your feelings on finding your car in such a shape. As is the case with such incidents in general, there were no culprits to be found also.

I follow parking etiquette, even if it inconveniences me ( sometimes resulting in complaints from those who travel with me). But, I find that even people who drive sensibly on the road, behave atrociously when it comes to parking. Many seems to be only intent on getting their car into the available space, with least consideration to others. Makes me wonder whether we should have a 'parking test' in addition to 'driving test' before licences are granted.
vkumars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 22:41   #23
BHPian

Angry Re: Do you follow "Parking Etiquette" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreepy View Post
I always ensure that I use optimal space for parking my car. I don't want to create a hindrance to others, but very few people on the road are of the same opinion. I really lose my cool when I see bikes parked behind my car leaving absolutely no space to get out of the parking.
Marked parking bays may provide a solution. They might induce a little "Parking Etiquette".
Here is a story which tells an incident similar to yours.
Recently we were in puducherry n parked our car to take a stroll along Doubert Avenue. When we came to our car (it was parked parallel to road)after 2hrs or so,someone has parked his bike just behind our car leaving no space to take our car out. So we tried to move away the bike..it took us quite some time to move the bike in a position which could allow us to move our car. n here comes the shocking surprise which made angty n also made us laugh. A guy who was sitting there on footpath n watching us struggeling, came forward n ride away on the bike like nothing happened.
Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 13:07   #24
BHPian

Leave parking on public roads, I face the same problems in my office car parking with security guards all around. The parking spots are marked with yellow lines so that maximum vehicles can be parked. Most of the times I see atleast two or three cars parked over the yellow lines instead of between two lines. A space between two pillars where four cars can be parked, one guy parks over the line taking two spaces and in effect a few cars always have to be parked outside.

On public roads I make sure I parallel park as close to the kerb leaving just enough space for me to open the door and squeeze through such that there is no obstruction to traffic and I leave enough space between the vehicle in the front and back so that they can also take their vehicles. After some time I see that there are two wheelers parked in those small spaces such that noone can take their vehicles and most of the time the two wheeler would be actually touching one of the cars.
nithin_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 20:39   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

These are pictures from Central Kolkata. I found the parking etiquette amusing!

Name:  DSC07209.JPG
Views: 349
Size:  131.4 KB
The Lancer's alloy is just touching the footpath rock. The driver appears to be highly skilled!
Name:  DSC07210.JPG
Views: 326
Size:  133.1 KB
The same Lancer with another car behind the Nano. How will the Nano move out?
Name:  DSC07211.JPG
Views: 314
Size:  129.3 KB
Bumper to bumper
Name:  DSC07212.JPG
Views: 307
Size:  130.0 KB
More MUV's,SUV's parked-this one shows some better sense on the day I clicked these. Here on this street these are parked bumper to bumper on a regular basis.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote