Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 20th May 2011, 19:20   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Swift ZXi met an accident!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooldudedelhi View Post
.... By the way by seeing the quality of work that has been done on my car till now I am quite satisfied that it won't give me much problem when it will hit the road. ...
kooldudedelhi, Its not about just seeing the car, dynamics are much different than just looks.

However, as you have got it repaired, I would suggest you to drive around for a couple of months, and closely observer the differences. If you are satisfied then carry on, if not, sell it off.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 01:25   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooldudedelhi View Post
The IDV of my car is 4.21 L and the repair estimate comes out to be around 1.5L so by going through 75% of the IDV formula (for calculation of total loss) I don't think this case was eligible for total loss claim.

The driver said that in order to avoid some cow on the road he hit a tree. It was also raining heavily at that time and he was doing some 30ish! I didn't ask him if he was wearing a seatbelt but I presume (from his habit) that he didn't.

I went to the workshop today in Bangalore to check out the condition of repair work and it gave me some satisfaction to see my car in better shape. They did the paint job and other work nicely. Moreover the guy who is handling my case seems to be nice and holds a silver belt or whatever in Maruti's internal training.

Did I forget to inform you guys that my car holds a UP registration?! So how much do you people think my car will fetch when it will go in the secondary market here in Bangalore or for that matter Mysore? Or should I send it to UP (Varanasi) to sell it off? Is it wise to sell it off without informing the future buyer about the history of this car. By the way by seeing the quality of work that has been done on my car till now I am quite satisfied that it won't give me much problem when it will hit the road. They are going to crank the engine in a day or two.

Will post some pics in a couple of days.

Here I want to thank all of you for giving excellent suggestions and also for lightening some of the burden off my chest.

Selling a UP car in KA will get you less $$$ so it would be wise to sell it in UP itself.
I have no idea whether you should tell the new owner of the history or not. Maybe some others can suggest on this. Try selling it to the maruti dealer only. They may buy it.
StrangeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 02:23   #18
BHPian

Couple of things.

1- AFAIK, airbags will be deployed even if the seat belt isn't worn. In your case, you need to find out why it hasn't deployed and quite definitely sue Maruti for the same. When you're buying a top model, you expect these features to work, not to be told there's some fault in the system. If there was a fault, the SRS light ought to have told you the same.

On a side note, if the airbag had deployed and your driving wasn't wearing a seatbelt, he would have probably injured himself rather badly.

2- Please don't sell the vehicle without informing the buyer about the accident. I understand that you'll lose money but that isn't the primary concern, is it ?
Think about two things.
(a) how would you feel if someone sold you a vehicle involved in a bad accident ?
(b) how would you feel if you found out later that someone had been injured because they didn't know about the possible limitations of your vehicle.

I would also request you not to sell the vehicle to a dealer, they'd pass it on to an unsuspecting customer,that's all.

I think you should continue to use the vehicle,atleast for a short duration and see how it works out. If things seem fine then continue using it and if they don't, then sell it but do let the person know

Best of luck and please do fight about this airbag issue.
I don't mean to be rude and I hope you take it rightly.

Last edited by sukrit7 : 21st May 2011 at 02:26.
sukrit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 11:13   #19
BHPian

Here are a few pics of my car before the repair work started. I didn't take any pic when I went to see my car yesterday as I was in real hurry to go to another place. Have a look and give me your perception on the extent of damage..
Attached Images

kooldudedelhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 11:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Going by the pics - the damage is quite severe. I won't blame the airbags for not opening as the sensors are behind / below the headlamps for most of the cars, and crashes like this where the car hits a tree / post are clearly excepted in the manual.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 12:54   #21
BHPian

@kooldude, sorry to hear the incident and I share the same sorrow.

How many days they have taken to repair the car? Which insurance company it was? Also do you have any details about how they have changed the aprons?
rajswiftvdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 13:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Though the accident damages is not minor, it definitely can be made perfectly alright with the state of art body/chassis dimensionally accurate alignment / repair system available at the dealerships.
However, you can take a decision later on after assessing the car's performance for some months.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 15:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

By no means, this is a crash at 30 kmph. Your driver quite knows to bluff it seems.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 17:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajswiftvdi View Post
@kooldude, sorry to hear the incident and I share the same sorrow.

How many days they have taken to repair the car? Which insurance company it was? Also do you have any details about how they have changed the aprons?
Its still in the process and its been almost a month since the accident and the repair work started. It was one of the government promoted insurance company (not sure if it would be wise to reveal all the detail at this point of time) and I don't have any detail how they changed the aprons.

Still waiting to get a call from the workshop telling me about cranking the engine!
kooldudedelhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 21:49   #25
BHPian

Hey the damage seems quite severe. The accident seems to have taken place at a higher speed and not 30kmph, maybe 50-60kmph.
I suggest you to take the car to UP and then sell it off because even though how nicely they may have repaired it, the car is bound to have issues.
I suggest you to sell it to some maruti dealer only so that maybe they can use it as a demo/TD car.

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 23rd May 2011 at 21:52.
Old 23rd May 2011, 22:10   #26
Team-BHP Support

Actually damage is not very severe. All that mangled parts are meant to mangle like that, if your engine is intact i see front 2 members replacement the only weld job. Rest are all bolt on, even the aprons looks kinda intact?
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 22:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Actually damage is not very severe. All that mangled parts are meant to mangle like that, if your engine is intact i see front 2 members replacement the only weld job. Rest are all bolt on, even the aprons looks kinda intact?
Quite agree to that.

The engine bay has taken a hit right in the centre; and looking at the rest of the engine bay, doesn't look like the aprons would have been damaged.

PS : If aprons are replaced; not necessarily when the earlier ones were damaged, does it mean the car will still be structurally compromised?
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 08:51   #28
BHPian

I think the rigidity of the front part of the structure would have been damaged because it is clearly bent in the pic
Attached Images

Old 24th May 2011, 11:03   #29
Team-BHP Support

That whole piece you marked is a bolt on piece and straight replacement. The next piece towards apron is welded and that also does not affect integrity, rigidity or strength of the chassis.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 11:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
That whole piece you marked is a bolt on piece and straight replacement. The next piece towards apron is welded and that also does not affect integrity, rigidity or strength of the chassis.
+1.

Both the top & bottom will be replaced and hence should be no cause of worry.

Keep riding your car more often and try to see how it feels after the repairs. Even if you had any small doubt, take it to the center and get it cleared.

I guess initial 4-5K and then things will be ok.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote