Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 31st May 2011, 13:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Experience on the way to Mysore

AstonMartin, while I appreciate your good deed, you must also realize it wouldn't take much to turn this experience into a nightmare. Specially with ladies and babies, I would have to advise you refrain from such incidents.

Some alternatives:

1. You could offer to drive one of the occupants to the nearest town/tyre shop so he could get a mechanic back with a spare.
2. Follow them at a safe distance till they reach a tyre shop, with them in front and you behind them.
3. Telephone breakdown assistance service.

I don't like that we are becoming suspicious, but I prefer that to be duped and be sorry later. I also think now that we should have some kind of a standard operating procedure to ensure that while we do help other genuinely stranded travellers, we also stay out of harm's way.

Last edited by honeybee : 31st May 2011 at 13:53.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 13:52   #17
BHPian

Great Stuff @AstonMartin, and totally agree with your point of "What goes around comes around" !
Zoomsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 17:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

I appreciate your commendable efforts. I would never help any stranger. I am paranoic of helping strangers. In India Definetly NO. There are so many threads on Mugging on NICE Road, Bangalore Roads etc. I would not take my chances
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 23:21   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I appreciate your commendable efforts. I would never help any stranger. I am paranoic of helping strangers. In India Definetly NO. There are so many threads on Mugging on NICE Road, Bangalore Roads etc. I would not take my chances
[OT] I have the dubious distinction of being mugged in 3 different continents. So let us not single out India here. [/OT]

I really do not know which way to swing here. I was driving back from Hubli, when I noticed this stranded family on the Tumkur bypass, with a flat and no spare. It was drizzling to make it worse and they were all standing on the roadside, getting wet. So I offered to take their driver with the spare wheel to a repair shop in Tumkur. I dropped him off there and went my way. Sure it feel good, inspite of the guy leaving wet mud all over my leather seats.

OTOH, my brother was driving to Mysore, when he had a flat and no spare. Two guys on a motorcycle stopped and helpfully pointed out to a repair shop on the other side of the road about 100 mts back. My brother promptly left with the tyre and the guys on the bike made off with my sister-in-laws gold chain.
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 19:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

PatchyBoy, sorry to hear about the chain incident. Goes to show we have to exercise caution even when trying to help others, or when others seem to offer help. Which is why the need for a standard operating procedure both when offering help and when receiving it.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote