Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 21st May 2011, 15:21   #1
BHPian

Talking Experience on the way to Mysore

This is a funny experience I had few months back. I was driving my Alto to Kerala. It was the usual early morning start. Few KMs before Mysore, we parked on the road side to prepare milk and feed the baby. After switching the engine off, I opened to bonnet to check on various fluid levels and left it open till the baby was fed.

I opened the boot and started preparing the milk taking water from the flask. As I was doing this, suddenly a black Alto slowed down and stopped few meters ahead of us. I initially thought maybe they stopped seeing my car's bonnet open. When I saw two youngsters coming towards my car, I became suspicious. I was ready to use the hot water in the flask if anything went wrong.

One of the youngsters came up and said he needed help as his car tyre has developed bubbles and he slammed into the median once as he is not able to control the car. He said he didn't have a spare tyre. He wanted to borrow my spare tyre till we found a tyre repair shop in Mysore. I didn't think much and agreed to provide the tyre. I had to help them to use the jack as they didnt know how to use it. They were trying the place it inside near the shocks.

Once the baby was fed and the tyre change done, I started following the black Alto. We reached Mysore and luckily found a tyre shop. I got my tyre back and we proceeded on our way. What was in store for me?

I was scolded by my wife, parents, in laws and everyone I narrated this incident to. A few souls appreciated too. Tell me guys, will you lend your spare tyre to some stranger on a highway. I don't know whether I did the right thing because they could have sped away with the tyre.

But if I needed that kind of help. What then? I believe in "what goes around comes around".

Keep those revs high.
AstonMartin is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 15:53   #2
BHPian

I think I would lend a helping hand in such a scenario if time was not a concern. Also I would not do I during the evening or night or in an unknown place due to security concerns.
deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 16:01   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Experience on the way to Mysore

Its a question of " Good Vs Good " and is a real ethical dilemma. Its good to say we cant, given the early hours and the baby and is good to help someone in distress. I would have politely declined and moved on at such a circumstance, purely due to the timing, the small baby, not sure if those guys are really in trouble etc..etc..
jkrishnakj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 19:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Like @jkrishnakj said, it's a dilemma. The desire to help vs the need for safety of your family. Esp with your wife & the baby with you.

The feedback from your family was kind of justified.

On the other hand, if one thinks of himself in a problematic situation, he does wish that he was helped by a stranger. But in this situation, if you were not too far from Mysore, you could have suggested to the guys in the Alto that they drive slowly to the city and get their tyre checked.

Nothing personal towards/against them, though.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 22:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey AstonMartin, karma points dude. A huge stack of them in your favor.

We have become too much of a doubting society. Good to know folks like you are still around. I feel that much more safe.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 07:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

@Aston Martin: First of all

Reiterated what has already been stated by Spitfire, we have become too much of a doubting society. But a few souls like you still make the world a livable place. Hats off to you Sir!

Keep the good work going!

P.S: I feel one can always sense (may be 6th sense) a genuine and a fake (someone trying to con you) emergency.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 10:39   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartin View Post
I believe in "what goes around comes around".
Absolutely. Appreciate your help towards strangers even though you had your wife and baby stranded in the car.

Hope if we all think in this way.
akas_chauhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 12:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

That is a good deed you did there.

For whatever reasons, justifiable or not, we are turning into quite a cynical society.

To say "what goes around, comes around" is one thing but to practice the "go" part, completely another.

Instances like these and whether you should stop for someone in distress at night/give someone a lift, however, are such that you can take a decision only when you're in that situation and you've evaluated it for risks etc.

PS : Keep up the good work; but next time, at least note the reg. no. and guys name.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 13:21   #9
BHPian

Thanks for the above comments from my fellow BHPians.

From the above comments, I understand that "Compassion" and "Bit of Cynicism" should go hand in hand.

"libranof19787" - thanks for the suggestion of noting the reg. no. Good idea.

I think generating goodwill amongst fellow human beings is something we all should look forward to. Small acts of kindness and thoughtfulness will make our roads better place to drive.
AstonMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 14:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the above comments from my fellow BHPians.

From the above comments, I understand that "Compassion" and "Bit of Cynicism" should go hand in hand.

"libranof19787" - thanks for the suggestion of noting the reg. no. Good idea.

I think generating goodwill amongst fellow human beings is something we all should look forward to. Small acts of kindness and thoughtfulness will make our roads better place to drive.
We all would like to be good and help and i appreciate you did that

But in present circumstances with the kind of mugging that happens in Bangalore, we need to be suspicious with unknown people. Everything went off well in your case which is good. What would have happenned if those guys had sped away with your spare tyre or would have tried to do some mischief or mug you etc?

This is the dillemma. I would rather err on the right side!!
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 14:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
We have become too much of a doubting society.
The moment I saw this title "Oh, should be someones bad experience on the road towards Mysore, let me get into that & learn how to not get into that trap"..
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 15:21   #12
BHPian

You did a very noble thing undoubtedly. I think depending on the driveability of those people's car, you could have offered to follow them as they drove slowly to the city. Did you see where the bubbles on the tyre were? We may have become a cynical society allright but that's not without a reason. You had no way of knowing if a foul misdeed was not in the offing for you that day and still acted good. Kudos man.
Delta Wing is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 13:21   #13
AJo
BHPian

Quote:
This is a funny experience I had few months back. I was driving my Alto to Kerala.
Good deed indeed!
I had also faced a similar dilemma (good deed vs driving away) a few years back on an early morning (5am) drive from Pune to Nasik in my Maruti Van.

A Maruti van was stalled beside the road with couple of guys trying to flag down vehicles. Apparently their spare wheel as well the front tyre had a puncture. (They did not stop to repair the 1st puncture (since early morning) & now had a 2nd puncture!). I stopped & was asked for the loan of my spare wheel till the nearest puncture walah. I was very leery about having to part with my wheel & all kinds of suspicions were racing through my mind. (One option was that one of them accompanies me till we find the nearest puncture walah - but I was not too keen to have a stranger traveling with me).

Ultimately, decided that I should help with some conditions. I asked the guy for his driving license & car papers (Originals! Those were the days of having torn / dirty booklets as Car Papers / license - no smart cards). Told them that I would return these the moment my wheel was given back to me. They were taken aback but I said "This is the deal - take it or leave it". They agreed & it was an uneventful drive to the puncture walah.

Felt good to help!
AJo (Incidentally this is my first post on Team BHP!)

Last edited by benbsb29 : 31st May 2011 at 13:37. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
AJo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 13:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to you my friend!! May your tribe increase. Rest everything is said by the others already.

@libran - Very good idea to note down the regn. number and name of the person whom we are helping. Better would be take the mobile number and also test if its working!!
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 13:44   #15
BHPian

@Delta_Wing - Thanks. Yes, I saw the bulge on the tyre as well as several deep scratches on the steel rim.
@AJo - Welcome to team-BHP. It is so reassuring that there are people who feel the same way and who will do the same thing for a stranger.
@abhinav.s - Thanks.
There is a definite helplessness one feels when one is in such a situation.
AstonMartin is offline   Reply With Quote