Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2016, 09:55   #196
BHPian
 
gm_arun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 53
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: Scam/ Corruption in Toll Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post

So the routine goes like this: The attendant returns me the change & a chocolate(s). I give the whole lot back to him, handover a few chocolates from my stock and demand that he return me the original money and use chocolates for the toll. Thereafter, so far, all of them have returned me the full change albeit grumpily.

:

Want to find the person who introduced this technique.

I was also rejected when I gave two 50 paise for a rupee. The toll guy told 50 paise is not valid. I waited for few minutes arguing with him and then gave 1 rupee after getting it from my wife's wallet.

[OT] The same happened last time when I went to watch movie in luxe. "Sir 50 paise not valid".
gm_arun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 10:26   #197
Senior - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,216
Thanked: 3,939 Times
Default Re: Scam/ Corruption in Toll Plaza

So, just like any other department, scam/corruption is here as well. Nothing to be surprised. And, I'm not sure what is stopping the officials to implement Fast Tag initiative across all toll roads. Can't imagine the amount of fuel that will be saved and amount of time that will be saved. I feel bad for these loaded truck guys at tolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm_arun View Post
Now a days they started giving ₹1 chocolate instead of real money. Don't know what is the logic in giving chocolate instead of money.
Once on the Krishnagiri-Chennai route, they tried to push a biscuit packet for 5Rs change. I resisted and then he immediately gives me the change. And he was having a big carton of biscuit packets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
So the routine goes like this: The attendant returns me the change & a chocolate(s). I give the whole lot back to him, handover a few chocolates from my stock and demand that he return me the original money and use chocolates for the toll. Thereafter, so far, all of them have returned me the full change albeit grumpily.
I have returned their chocolate once for a two rupee change and they accepted it as well. NICE road tolls are known for giving chocolate against changes.

And when my kids are there, they become alert if its NICE road toll because of these chocolate changes.
arun_josie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 10:36   #198
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,417
Thanked: 860 Times
Default Re: Scam/ Corruption in Toll Plaza

If we have to pay a toll on all highways, what is the lifetime road tax for? Let them do away with it.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 14:20   #199
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 466
Thanked: 413 Times
Default Re: Scam/ Corruption in Toll Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm_arun View Post
Want to find the person who introduced this technique.
Until someone comes along , I will claim the right to inventing the idea - of paying them in the same coin.. err chocos

Btw, I have a stash of coins too, just in case the "choco" idea falls flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I have returned their chocolate once for a two rupee change and they accepted it as well. NICE road tolls are known for giving chocolate against changes.
I had used this "return-feature" long back on the tolls between Bangalore-Pune. Gave the chocolates from the previous toll to the next one. No complaints or even a whimper. I guess this was the seed to the current idea.
And no objection meant that all of them were in the nexus. And it was some new toffee at the time which was not available in the open market so freely and hence had to go with their valuation (as in 2 chocolates = 5 Rs etc).

Last edited by vinjosep : 12th February 2016 at 14:28.
vinjosep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 00:00   #200
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,506
Thanked: 1,852 Times
Default Re: Scam/ Corruption in Toll Plaza

A New scam?

Scam/ Corruption in Toll Plaza-img_8424.jpg

Its blank on both the sides and very light as well.
I got this today from Vashi toll plaza, And its the second time! First time was approximately a month back to which i ignored believing it to be a honest mistake, But the same thing when happened today ringed a bell for me, The coin is of the exact size of a 2 Rupees coin, But its surely lighter than the original! I also recollect during both this time it was during the night i was crossing the toll.

It isn't about the 2 rupees, But how they are finding new ways to con people right in front of their eyes, From Handing them chocolates instead of the change, By giving extremely poor and torn 5 rupee notes and also at times just not giving the total change return. Imagine how much extra money they collect every day by doing such things.

A piece of advice, It would take 5 seconds to check the change when you take it back from any toll plaza, Please do check it before moving forward.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 10:06   #201
BHPian
 
JohnyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 105
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Scam/ Corruption in Toll Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
A New scam?

Its blank on both the sides and very light as well.
I got this today from Vashi toll plaza, And its the second time! First time was approximately a month back to which i ignored believing it to be a honest mistake, But the same thing when happened today ringed a bell for me, The coin is of the exact size of a 2 Rupees coin, But its surely lighter than the original! I also recollect during both this time it was during the night i was crossing the toll.
...
I think it's honest mistake. The cost of making fake coin is almost same as the value of the coin. Making fake notes is more economical - higher value than manufacturing cost, ease of carrying around etc. Coins, mmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
...
It isn't about the 2 rupees, But how they are finding new ways to con people right in front of their eyes, From Handing them chocolates instead of the change, ....
...
They are giving you chocolate not to save/cheat money. It's because of lack of supply of coins. How much money can they save from giving you a 2 rupees chocolate instead of 2 rupees coin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
...
By giving extremely poor and torn 5 rupee notes ...
...
Torn 5 rupee notes has the same value as a new 5 rupee note - 5 rupees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
...
Iand also at times just not giving the total change return. Imagine how much extra money they collect every day by doing such things.
...
Yes, not giving whole change in return is cheating. Agree with you.
JohnyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 11:32   #202
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,506
Thanked: 1,852 Times
Default Re: Scam/ Corruption in Toll Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
I think it's honest mistake. The cost of making fake coin is almost same as the value of the coin. Making fake notes is more economical - higher value than manufacturing cost, ease of carrying around etc. Coins, mmm.
First time honest mistake, Second time, Okay well lets wait for the third time.

Quote:
They are giving you chocolate not to save/cheat money. It's because of lack of supply of coins. How much money can they save from giving you a 2 rupees chocolate instead of 2 rupees coin?
Lets not try and get an approximate number on how much would they make, You'll be surprised trust me. Also the chocolates are not branded and are locally made with the most poorest packing, Name etc, I have had it once and promised never to have or offer it to someone else! Well taste, Name, Quality isn't the point here. I have seen while waiting in the queue that many people get angry when such things are offered instead of the change, And then the change is provided. What annoying is they don't bother to ask if we would like to have a couple of chocolates instead of the change since they are running low on coins maybe? They directly hand it to you, And if you refuse to take it they do give you back the total change.

Quote:
Torn 5 rupee notes has the same value as a new 5 rupee note - 5 rupees.
Try giving the same 5 rupee note to the next upcoming toll, You'll be surprised to hear things like, It won't work, Its torn, Its damaged. The heck even the beggers don't accept such notes now saying they won't be able to use it to buy anything since nobody would accept it.

Educated people like you and me understand 5 rupee note has a value of 5 rupee only, But not everyone.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 23:32   #203
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 20
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Scam/ Corruption in Toll Plaza

This is my experience while going to Shahapur.
On Mumbai Nashik highway, on the first toll while coming from Kalyan, I was asked for Rs. 100 Toll. I did not know till which location toll was valid.
So I just asked that guy, I want to go till Shahapur and not all the way till Nashik or beyond.
But he kept insisting to pay the full toll but when I refuse to pay as I was not at all going to use the road beyond Shahapur, he asked me to pay Rs. 30 and said no receipt for this.
And to my surprise, while returning I was not stopped to pay toll
Has anyone else experienced this?
Orange GTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 11:21   #204
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,025
Thanked: 4,456 Times
Default Re: Scam/ Corruption in Toll Plaza

Gave a 1000 rupee note and got a change in the form of 10 rupee notes, mostly torn & mutilated.

Karma is bitch, exhausted most of them in giving back tolls
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 12:23   #205
Senior - BHPian
 
arnabchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MH-04
Posts: 1,310
Thanked: 1,054 Times
Default Re: Scam/ Corruption in Toll Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange GTX View Post
This is my experience while going to Shahapur.
On Mumbai Nashik highway, on the first toll while coming from Kalyan, I was asked for Rs. 100 Toll. I did not know till which location toll was valid.
So I just asked that guy, I want to go till Shahapur and not all the way till Nashik or beyond.
But he kept insisting to pay the full toll but when I refuse to pay as I was not at all going to use the road beyond Shahapur, he asked me to pay Rs. 30 and said no receipt for this.
And to my surprise, while returning I was not stopped to pay toll
Has anyone else experienced this?
They have always charged me Rs. 100/- and even if I take a drive to Igatpuri and back, I pay this toll.

Infact, in some cases, I had to even pay the return Rs. 100/-.
Nowadays, I stay firm that I have not come all the way from Nasik and wont pay the Rs. 100/- again.

The Rs. 30/- is unheard of.
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 13:26   #206
BHPian
 
Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 555
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: Scam/ Corruption in Toll Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
They are giving you chocolate not to save/cheat money. It's because of lack of supply of coins. How much money can they save from giving you a 2 rupees chocolate instead of 2 rupees coin?
If they can stock chocolates, they can very well stock up on coins too can't they? So there is definitely some benefit behind this.

The landing cost to the local shopkeeper for a box of 100 Rs.1 chocolates cost about Rs.50. Since these are no-name brand chocolates, the cost price will be even lesser. On top of it, the chocolates are sold without bill. So they save on tax as well. If we do the math, it will add up to some big number.

Along with implementing fast tag, govt should change the toll rates to multiples of 5 or 10 to put an end to these corruptions.
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 20:12   #207
BHPian
 
couswheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 215
Thanked: 143 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
If they can stock chocolates, they can very well stock up on coins too can't they? So there is definitely some benefit.

Once it happened to me on NH4 in Karnataka where they gave a five rupee five star against the change. Told them that they have to take back the same on my return. Suddenly five rupee coin came out. Post that most of the time have carried sufficient change. This also helps in avoiding wait time at the tolls. The other reason was got a 5 rupee srilankan coin once as change which I did not notice immediately.
couswheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 20:29   #208
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,506
Thanked: 1,852 Times
Default Re: Scam/ Corruption in Toll Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Gave a 1000 rupee note and got a change in the form of 10 rupee notes, mostly torn & mutilated.

Karma is bitch, exhausted most of them in giving back tolls
Haha! I do the same, I always keep the torn and spoilt notes in the car and use them at toll i come across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
They have always charged me Rs. 100/- and even if I take a drive to Igatpuri and back, I pay this toll.

Infact, in some cases, I had to even pay the return Rs. 100/-.
Nowadays, I stay firm that I have not come all the way from Nasik and wont pay the Rs. 100/- again.

The Rs. 30/- is unheard of.
I had no idea about the 30/- I have always paid 100/- both sides even if i was returning from igatpuri, They even just have a board which shows 100/- And no information about the 30/- toll is provided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
If they can stock chocolates, they can very well stock up on coins too can't they? So there is definitely some benefit behind this.

The landing cost to the local shopkeeper for a box of 100 Rs.1 chocolates cost about Rs.50. Since these are no-name brand chocolates, the cost price will be even lesser. On top of it, the chocolates are sold without bill. So they save on tax as well. If we do the math, it will add up to some big number.

Along with implementing fast tag, govt should change the toll rates to multiples of 5 or 10 to put an end to these corruptions.
Seriously! The numbers would be huge! Along with collecting toll it becomes a side business of selling chocolates and getting good amount of profit from it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by couswheels View Post
Once it happened to me on NH4 in Karnataka where they gave a five rupee five star against the change. Told them that they have to take back the same on my return. Suddenly five rupee coin came out. Post that most of the time have carried sufficient change. This also helps in avoiding wait time at the tolls. The other reason was got a 5 rupee srilankan coin once as change which I did not notice immediately.
Most of the times when i have asked them to take the chocolate back and give me exact change they would simply say, "Chutta nahi hai", (We don't have change) And then your supposed to give them exact change and if you don't have it, Take the chocolate or leave that as well.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2016, 13:42   #209
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 20
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Scam/ Corruption in Toll Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
They have always charged me Rs. 100/- and even if I take a drive to Igatpuri and back, I pay this toll.

Infact, in some cases, I had to even pay the return Rs. 100/-.
Nowadays, I stay firm that I have not come all the way from Nasik and wont pay the Rs. 100/- again.

The Rs. 30/- is unheard of.
Thanks for the reply.
Next time, do ask the toll guy about Rs. 30. You will come to know.
Orange GTX is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 15:20   #210
Senior - BHPian
 
arnabchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MH-04
Posts: 1,310
Thanked: 1,054 Times
Default Re: Scam/ Corruption in Toll Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange GTX View Post
Thanks for the reply.
Next time, do ask the toll guy about Rs. 30. You will come to know.
Thanks Orange.

Will check the next time around.
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Protecting highways using toll : How weight-based toll works for large vehicles sudev Commercial Vehicles 26 3rd November 2015 16:34
NHAI: Nationwide Toll Plaza Data now online! moralfibre Street Experiences 39 24th November 2014 21:39
Quick Guide to KM24 Toll Plaza (Delhi-Gurgaon border) suman Shifting gears 141 29th September 2012 08:05
Time spent in toll Plaza blorebuddy Street Experiences 39 12th January 2011 07:52
List of A1 Plaza on Kolkata - Bangalore Route akroy Route / Travel Queries 2 24th December 2009 16:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks