Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 9th September 2016, 19:16   #241
BHPian

Default Re: Scam/ Corruption in Toll Plaza

Recently did few trips to mumbai, Bangalore and goa. Covered the states, Telangana, AP, Maharashtra, Karnataka & Goa.

At few toll booths where the fee was like 53/85, the operator did ask if i had change and when i said no, they promptly returned change. One guy even gave a discount of Rs. 3 when i said no change. And on the return trip i promptly gave the change back to the toll operators. Surprising as this is the first time i had the entire trip going smooth without chocolates, wafers etc. I am glad things are getting better.

I have applied for the FASTAG and hopefully that should make things even better.
sunishsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 11:14   #242
Senior - BHPian

Karnataka doctor's card swiped for Rs 4 lakh instead of Rs 40 at toll booth.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/57622466.cms
sandeepmdas is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 11:55   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/57622466.cms
The lethargy of the toll booth operators has once again come to the fore. Good that the doctor received the message from bank about the debit from his account instantly. Few banks still lag in their transaction messaging services.

But why did the doctor pressed on to receive the money back in physical cash? Is he planning to color them black?
rohiT Nonu is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 12:46   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohiT Nonu View Post
But why did the doctor pressed on to receive the money back in physical cash? Is he planning to color them black?
I would have done the same. What if the cheque gets delayed or bounced. Who will run around these toll booth operators to claim compensation? They have lot of cash anyway with them on a daily basis, so it makes sense to take the cash and deposit back to the bank. The Dr. could have set a daily transaction limit on Debit Cards. Most banks offer these as optional. Such incidents should be an eye opener for anyone holding cards to set reasonable limits on the card usage.
sukhoi30 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 12:52   #245
BHPian

Quote:
...But why did the doctor pressed on to receive the money back in physical cash? Is he planning to color them black?
Would say that he wanted to avoid another fiasco of a bounced cheque and a court case. After ~6 hours (10:30 PM - 4 AM) of arguing, I would probably do the same.
varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 13:05   #246
BHPian

Quote:
. You found the correct thread to post this. Mine went into the wrong one this morning.

Using cards to pay toll isn't anyway a good idea, specially those with high credit limit/balance. Think of what would have happened had the doctor not received the message immediately. He was fortunate that his mobile network was working and that he read the message on the spot.

Also, look at the temerity of the toll guys in not accepting their mistake until the arrival of the policeman. Being vigilant is no longer a choice but a dire necessity.

Whether the doctor was right in demanding cash refund is debatable. However, what amuses me is that even after being harassed for the whole night, he had to pay the toll of ₹40 and got back only ₹3,99,960/-.

Last edited by noopster : 14th March 2017 at 14:12. Reason: Removed URL to avoid confusion :)
dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 13:08   #247
Team-BHP Support

In all these point of sale swipe machines, until the settlement is done at the end of the day the transaction can be cancelled. Wonder why he didn't make them do that?
Akshay1234 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 13:14   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
I would have done the same. What if the cheque gets delayed or bounced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
Would say that he wanted to avoid another fiasco of a bounced cheque and a court case. After ~6 hours (10:30 PM - 4 AM) of arguing, I would probably do the same.
I too am surprised at two decisions the doctor made:
  1. To demand cash, especially in this age where cash is treated like an illegal substance in such high values. The charitable view is what has been outlined above - the tool plaza has a lot of cash on hand, which was the quickest solution. Two side points:
    • I'd be curious to see how the good doctor handles it in case he's been given any fake notes in that.
    • Now he's got a 4-lakh charge on his card (but hey, think of the reward points that would earn - at least 4000 rupees worth!), and will be probably paying it in a large chunk of cash which might also need explaining away.
  2. Not engaging with the bank that issued his credit card. This is credit card 101. I have always found my CC-issuing bank very helpful in cases of double swipes, and other such mistakes (and they've often been proactive about it too). A quick call to the bank, they identify the swiping place is a toll plaza and a 4-lakh swipe will immediately seem absurd. So once he got the policeman back to the toll plaza whereupon the mistake was admitted to and accepted, this would have been the quickest and cleanest solution.

Edit: beaten to it by Akshay in the time I drafted this response!

Last edited by arunphilip : 14th March 2017 at 13:28.
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote