Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2011, 16:11   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 600 Times
Default Re: Extortion at my parking space that too near home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
A businessman buys a residential flat and is extorted by locals and he succumbs just because he has to stay there with his family. Whatever, the businessman does in his trade will most likely not even be known to these locals. I hope i have made myself clear this time.
I understand what you are saying and I have seen similar situations.

But having seen and taken the right steps I know these things are not something a group of rowdies and local representative can carry on forever. It just needs one person to stand-up.

Unless you are saying this is now turned into the erstwhile Chambal Valley. Then I have no argument.

Anarchy is not a system.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 17:06   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,414
Thanked: 1,676 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Extortion at my parking space that too near home.

I still say you should file a compliant about the threat he made. You should not have paid him. If possible visit the local police station and narrate the incident.
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 17:25   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,607
Thanked: 1,855 Times
Default Re: Extortion at my parking space that too near home.

^^ I agree with VW2010. In fact, your concern for your family and your car should ensure that you file a complaint with the cops. Especially as you are not a local (I presume?) you should tell this guy about the complaint in an off handed way. In fact you could also pass on any dents/ scratches you have to him.

Moreover, you should ensure that you never pay anyone any money henceforth else you would risk branding yourself as a soft target. News does travel you know..
selfdrive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 08:00   #34
BHPian
 
arpanjha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 165
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Well that sums it all up.
Before any further advice flows on how arpan could have managed to deal with the situation differently, i would like to inform all my friends here that Howrah is notorious for extortion, racketeering and even the local administrative bodies are being controlled by groups with questionable backgrounds to put it very mildly. The law and order situation is accordingly in total anarchy, and i'm not sure whether lodging complaints or calling in the Police would have eased or aggravated the situation for Arpan.
Ya, you are correct. There are positions, situations and places where you seem to be so helpless. Nevertheless, I have registered a GD with the police here and now if he comes to do any more damage, he will learn the rules of the game from me. Because its not that only he can do the "dadagiri". Situations have changed in Bengal, the police needs to perform now, things are changing fast, these sort of things wont conitnue for long I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Howrah or no Howrah, I wouldnt agree with the solution.

Arpan & Mi2n. I have lived in that same place for 10 years. We have run a factory of 6000 workers in the same area, without any issues from any shady/dark/grey personality. So, lets not abuse a place just for the sake of it.

When the great neighbour said that he cant claim insurance, why couldnt you just say that you'll get it claimed against ur insurance and for that get the FIR from the PS.
9/10 times, that person would make a u-turn hearing about the PS. If its Golabari PS, it'll be 10/10.
What he said was that he wouldnt be responsible for any damage to your car. But he said it in front of the entire crowd. You have all the evidence to go to the PS and complain. You tell him directly that the fact he's made such a declaration in public can go against him as a formal threat and you will speak to the cops about it.
At the worst, instead of paying 1500 to the guy to repair his damaged vehicle, I'd rather pay the cops 1000 to teach him a lesson!
A area is defined by the people who live.
Yes, you are pretty correct about this. Although its not Golabari, it is Bally PS. I have lodged my GD and I have options of getting the cops rough up this guy, maybe I am waiting to speak to this guy about what I can do and what not. I too have some contacts here which I did not want to explore. We also run a small factory in howrah, so we too need to keep contacts handy, but just because of the fact that I need to stay here with my family, I didnt want to take any harsh steps, which might further aggrevate the situation and it will become a regular drama outside my house. Lets see what can be done. I think I need to inform this guy about my police GD. what do you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
^^ I agree with VW2010. In fact, your concern for your family and your car should ensure that you file a complaint with the cops. Especially as you are not a local (I presume?) you should tell this guy about the complaint in an off handed way. In fact you could also pass on any dents/ scratches you have to him.

Moreover, you should ensure that you never pay anyone any money henceforth else you would risk branding yourself as a soft target. News does travel you know..
Ya, I will meet this guy and tell him about my course of action soon. That too, this time I wont be alone, I have some so called "brothers" who if stand infront of him, he wont resist pissing in his pants.

Last edited by bblost : 26th May 2011 at 10:05. Reason: Please use multi quote instead of back 2 back posts. Thanks.
arpanjha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 10:00   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,607
Thanked: 1,855 Times
Default Re: Extortion at my parking space that too near home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
Ya, I will meet this guy and tell him about my course of action soon. That too, this time I wont be alone, I have some so called "brothers" who if stand infront of him, he wont resist pissing in his pants.
then perhaps you should try to get your money back :lol
Jokes apart, if I were in your shoes I would ensure that the issue is not escalated further while standing my ground.
I wish you well in your endeavours
selfdrive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 10:07   #36
BHPian
 
mmxylorider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 653
Thanked: 176 Times
Default Re: Extortion at my parking space that too near home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
Ya, I will meet this guy and tell him about my course of action soon. That too, this time I wont be alone, I have some so called "brothers" who if stand infront of him, he wont resist pissing in his pants.
Ego is a very interesting animal, my friend. What if he gets his 'brothers' and wants to meet you? Pretty soon it's blown out of proportion. I still believe a conversation with the person and why you paid him that time to avoid mob outrage could be fruitful. Iam not an 'ahimsavadi' but maintain reserving your trump card for the last. All the best!
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 10:45   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,884
Thanked: 2,044 Times
Default Re: Extortion at my parking space that too near home.

This is not acceptable at all. I know you paid the money to get out of these cheap things. But this is not the way, someday someone will demand your car or even more money. You should have called the police and then let those people decide after filing FIR.

Anyhow very sad to hear and I know how does it feel after such incidents.

But now I will suggest you to avoid the person since everything is solved. Move on!

Last edited by bluevolt : 26th May 2011 at 10:47.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 10:51   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,414
Thanked: 1,676 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Extortion at my parking space that too near home.

Quote:
Ya, I will meet this guy and tell him about my course of action soon. That too, this time I wont be alone, I have some so called "brothers" who if stand infront of him, he wont resist pissing in his pants.
How is this different from what he did?. Just take the legal route and have yourself covered. The police will definitely check with the other guy and you dont have to put yourself through any trouble.
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 12:42   #39
BHPian
 
aqualeo2040's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Back 2 Bangy
Posts: 407
Thanked: 230 Times
Default Re: Extortion at my parking space that too near home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post


Yes, you are pretty correct about this. Although its not Golabari, it is Bally PS. I have lodged my GD and I have options of getting the cops rough up this guy, maybe I am waiting to speak to this guy about what I can do and what not. I too have some contacts here which I did not want to explore. We also run a small factory in howrah, so we too need to keep contacts handy, but just because of the fact that I need to stay here with my family, I didnt want to take any harsh steps, which might further aggrevate the situation and it will become a regular drama outside my house. Lets see what can be done. I think I need to inform this guy about my police GD. what do you say?

.
Aah. Arpan, if its Bally, do let me know if you need any help.

The factory I mentioned is Bally Jute Mills. So, you know where I am coming from. Let me know if you need any help. I can easily send a few folks from the factory to clear the air with your nice neighbour. I am sure he wont disturb you for the rest of his life.
aqualeo2040 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 12:46   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,550
Thanked: 2,483 Times
Default Re: Extortion at my parking space that too near home.

I think the moment you start "proving" your innocence, the rowdy knows he can pull something off you.

Just because there is no evidence doesn't mean that you did it or that you didn't do it.

Agree the prospect of your car being damaged is unpleasant but then there cannot be a stop to what extent he'll go the next time.

Try to salvage whatever you can in this situation and move on. Atleast have this incident registered with the cops so the next time he tries to do something, you have something to back you up.

Good luck!
libranof1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 16:43   #41
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 48
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Extortion at my parking space that too near home.

Hi Arpan. Since you are staying in Howrah, and yo mentioned about your folks at home, I doubt that you are an "outsider" (what a parochial concept: sadly applies to most of India). Having stayed in Howrah and later Kolkata for twenty four years, I'm a bit perturbed by the incident. In my opinion, if the crowd reaction was neutral, you should have simply stood your ground and brought the "sadharon manush-er saather gundamo korchen" dialogue into play.

Trust me, nothing gets the average Bengali more riled up than a sense of perceived injustice! The extortionist would have had somewhat more to chew on then!
lordavenger is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 19:50   #42
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 97
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Extortion at my parking space that too near home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
then perhaps you should try to get your money back :lol
Jokes apart, if I were in your shoes I would ensure that the issue is not escalated further while standing my ground.
I wish you well in your endeavours
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
How is this different from what he did?. Just take the legal route and have yourself covered. The police will definitely check with the other guy and you dont have to put yourself through any trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Ego is a very interesting animal, my friend. What if he gets his 'brothers' and wants to meet you? Pretty soon it's blown out of proportion. I still believe a conversation with the person and why you paid him that time to avoid mob outrage could be fruitful. Iam not an 'ahimsavadi' but maintain reserving your trump card for the last. All the best!

+1 to the above comments. You need not volunteer to resort to such a stunt. If he comes again, you can show your might.
KumaravelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 07:22   #43
BHPian
 
arpanjha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 165
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Extortion at my parking space that too near home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Aah. Arpan, if its Bally, do let me know if you need any help.

The factory I mentioned is Bally Jute Mills. So, you know where I am coming from. Let me know if you need any help. I can easily send a few folks from the factory to clear the air with your nice neighbour. I am sure he wont disturb you for the rest of his life.
Thanks a lot bro for this. I will certainly let you know if I need any assistance at all.
arpanjha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Victim of Road Rage + Extortion! suhaas307 Street Experiences 91 23rd November 2012 14:51
New extortion racket on highways vnabhi Street Experiences 35 20th February 2012 08:21
My car finally got a parking space at T-BHP. Hi to all friends from GOA. hulkonline Introduce yourself 3 5th November 2009 20:42
Parking Space Required In Central Mumbai adheesh Shifting gears 5 10th August 2009 11:15
Swift is finally in my parking space cheatingdeath Shifting gears 11 14th September 2005 10:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:02.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks