Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 31st May 2011, 14:30   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Pedestrian-controlled signal crossings

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Just curious, which part of India?
Kerala, Wayanad, Sulthan Bathery. The one in front of Asumption Church.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 14:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Are the ones in Bangalore still functional? I don't think so. I would rather see Bangalore roads getting pedestrian overbridges or tunnels, than these kind of signals. There is no point in installing these signals without informing motorists and pedestrians about their use. Simply putting up boards is not enough to create awareness.
At-least the one near Garuda Mall, Magrath Road in Bangalore is still functional and comes very handy for us to cross roads.

Though still few drivers have to be disciplined. Just yesterday - I pressed the button, it turned red for the traffic & green for pedestrians) and few seconds after - I started moving - but a Swift fellow almost came extremely fast and stopped very close to me on zebra lane. When I said - "see the signal man" - i got few bad mouths from them saying it was not their fault!! Had to just move on.....that these morons will never change
maheshramaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 15:09   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I would rather see Bangalore roads getting pedestrian overbridges or tunnels, than these kind of signals.
Pedestrian overbridges don't work either coz our people are too lazy to walk up the steps.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 09:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

The problems are too many too ignore.

The amount of people and sheer number of cars on Mumbai's roads make this a failure even before it's implemented.

Here people cross roads under FOB meant for them and drivers skip signals like it's their birth right. So how is this going to work ?

Either the switches will be robbed / broken / rendered useless by people pressing it again and again just for kicks. Meanwhile the drivers after waiting for the 1st time might get pissed off (we are after all a nation in a hurry) and their skipping this might lead to accidents.

And pray tell me how many people do they expect will cross the road in 20 seconds ? Once people start crossing, it's a never ending stream :P
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 09:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Somewhere around 1995, I was working in a town called Uddevalla in Sweden & for a newly migrated Indian driver it was a pleasent surpsrise when one day, while crossing a busy lane, I could not see the pedestrain crossing light turning red. Waited for almost ten minutes, when an old couple came next to me & pressed a button on the traffic post. Green light flashed for few times & turned red. Almost all the car stopped instantly. The timer said we had another 10 seconds to cross the road.
Was more surprised when few weeks later I noticed that a pregnant lady stepped on the road for crossing (No lights here) & all the cars instantly stopped to give her way. Kudos to such traffic sense.

Raab Rakha.
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 10:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

These things work on roads where the traffic density is not high. In our cities, it would cause more problems creating traffic jams. Either the traffic should be less or the people crossing the roads should be less frequent.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 10:42   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

There is one such signal on Hosur road right opposite Total Mall. This is where the new traffic signal has been installed.

I tried it a couple of times but it seems to take a long time to turn green for pedestrians. This is probably due to the large number of vehicles on the road.

And of course, no one cares to stop for a pedestrian. Its easier for them to run him/her over than stop for a few seconds. I almost got run over by a govt. car once and didn't think twice to mouth expletives at the driver.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 14:16   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Kerala, Wayanad, Sulthan Bathery. The one in front of Asumption Church.
Thanks Dhanush, I did not know that we have these systems in Kerala. I am planning a trip to Wayanad in my next visit. Will look out for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
The amount of people and sheer number of cars on Mumbai's roads make this a failure even before it's implemented.

Here people cross roads under FOB meant for them and drivers skip signals like it's their birth right. So how is this going to work ?

Either the switches will be robbed / broken / rendered useless by people pressing it again and again just for kicks. Meanwhile the drivers after waiting for the 1st time might get pissed off (we are after all a nation in a hurry) and their skipping this might lead to accidents.
Well, these should not be reasons for not implementing these systems. If rules are made strict, after a while it will be become a habit to obey those. I have seen this working in cities with more traffic density than Mumbai.

Quote:
And pray tell me how many people do they expect will cross the road in 20 seconds ? Once people start crossing, it's a never ending stream :P
I guess, based on the traffic / pedestrain density, the time delay can be regulated.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 15:05   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
South Mumbai is in for mile long jams on marine drive
Whats new?

Seriously though, i don't think that is the case. (Ofcourse this depends on how the system is set up). In reality, it could mean a lot less of those pointless red-lights on marine drive late at night, where you're stopped there waiting for noone to cross.

From the article :
Quote:
Once pressed, the walk signal takes a few minutes to turn from red to green. A loud sound is emitted to indicate that pedestrians have the right of way. The green signal lasts for about 20 seconds before turning red again. The system is designed to reduce the ‘waiting time’ for pedestrians
My guess is that it would work like this :

Old System:
Current interval between red-signals (no button present) : Every 2mins, for 20seconds

New System:
If button is present and pressed, interval between reds : After 2mins since last red, for 20 seconds
If button is present and NOT pressed, interval between reds : Every 4mins, for 20 seconds

I've not seen these units, but the most frustrating thing about these (atleast abroad) is the lack of any feedback to the person who presses the button, leading them to believe that its not working - which will make them press it several more times or never bother to press it again. Frustrating. Studies say that in todays digital age, if feedback isn't received within 3 seconds of pressing a button, the user is much less likely to perceive a relation between a button press & the resultant action.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st June 2011 at 15:10.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 15:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

The bottom line here is -

Neither the drivers nor the pedestrians have any civic , walking or driving sense.

this system has to fail.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 15:36   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Whats new?

Seriously though, i don't think that is the case. (Ofcourse this depends on how the system is set up). In reality, it could mean a lot less of those pointless red-lights on marine drive late at night, where you're stopped there waiting for noone to cross.

From the article :

My guess is that it would work like this :

Old System:
Current interval between red-signals (no button present) : Every 2mins, for 20seconds

New System:
If button is present and pressed, interval between reds : After 2mins since last red, for 20 seconds
If button is present and NOT pressed, interval between reds : Every 4mins, for 20 seconds

I've not seen these units, but the most frustrating thing about these (atleast abroad) is the lack of any feedback to the person who presses the button, leading them to believe that its not working - which will make them press it several more times or never bother to press it again. Frustrating. Studies say that in todays digital age, if feedback isn't received within 3 seconds of pressing a button, the user is much less likely to perceive a relation between a button press & the resultant action.

cya
R
At least, in Germany, these button have feedback...like when press one..you will a tick-tock sound, which will continue till it turns green for you. i guess it is also there to assist Vision Impaired. I wish Bombay bringing something similar.
Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 15:43   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Pelican crossings (as they are called, as opposed to Zebra) are a very good idea. They will obviate the need for lights at some crossings. But in India where people will not give way for anything, how effective will they be is a moot point.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 16:22   #28
BHPian

Default Re: Pedestrian-controlled signal crossings

These were installed in Hyderabad long ago, but no one seemed to care for those. Even with the Stop light on, no one cared to stop for the pedestrains. I believe, it is more of usage of common sense by which these controlled crossings would succeeed, especially in Hyderabad. I seldom see people slowing down at Zeebra Crossings, even when people are crossing the road.
traveloholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 16:15   #29
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Pedestrian-controlled signal crossings

Came across one of these on Marine Drive this weekend. Sorry for the bad picture!

Name:  20110717 14.44.38.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  121.7 KB

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote