Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 3rd June 2011, 07:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: A mob saved me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I am sorry to say that I disagree with this suggestion. Avoiding eye-contact is like accepting that you are wrong when it is not really true.
Dot,

Right or Wrong doesn't matter. Safety is the most important thing, and it becomes even more important when we are dealing with thugs who have nothing to lose. God save INDIA. A quick exit in all kind of conflict situations is of utmost importance if you yourself are not a local thug.
F150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 08:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that it all ended well for you.

One thing about Hyderabad is the old timers still believe in humanity and do help people on the road in need!
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:19   #18
BHPian

@esteem: sorry for not translating!

@ukderebail: hats off to you sir! i was interested only in protecting me and my vehicle (if possible). you were protecting someone else's life.

@noopster: I don't know! Different areas of Hyderabad are very different, local language there could be Telugu or Urdu depending on where you are. I was in a Urdu speaking area, and as self-drive said the stars were in my favour. I was lucky I could get my word in first, and I don't even know if the other guy understood Hindi/Urdu.

About AP-registered cars, last year during my visits there I was actually scared to drive my Hyderabad registered car in Hyderabad!! Junta wanted to paint my board "TG" (for Telengana)! I got stopped at Another incident, again from last year. I started at 12 am from Hyderabad and was driving through the night. There were pro and anti Telengana bandhs going on so wanted to cross Bagepalli (KA-AP border on NH7) by 6 am. However the road wasn't fully ready then so ended up reaching Bagepalli at 6.45 AM. The local MLA had organised a anti-Telengana blockade of NH7, and everyone was stuck. The situation was tense so I took a u-turn to take the dharmavaram-puttaparthi-bagepalli route. Tyres were being burnt on tis road. I nearly was through when I ran into a small group blocking the road. My Hyderabad registered car was actually not a good thing in that area. They said "where are you from?". I replied "I don't know much Telugu (which is true!). I am from Bangalore". They let me go.

About Bangalore, I haven't seen a more benign place for out-station vehicles. Not from mobs, but from the police and RTO. Here is an experiment: stand at Kundalahalli gate for 10 minutes and count the number of out-station vehicles and the local ones. The % can be as high as 30%. Do the same at the Cyber Towers signal in Hyderabad (or maybe before that since a flyover has come up!) and you will see it is less than 10 %.

I had a driver for a month here, and he was caught twice. Once for parking near manipal hospital, and once for taking the u-turn at Kundalahalli gate. The driver and my family spoke in Kannada to the cops. That made it pleasant, but we still paid the fine both times!

About this language thing, my dream is to drive in Chennai with a KA registered car, and when a cop stops me to talk to him in Hindi. Wicked!
carZest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:00   #19
BHPian

sir
hyderabad doesnt have a patent on rude behaviour. Its the noveau rich, wherever that create such a scene. Recently a friend of mine was hit by a lady driver in a red santro when he slowed down to avoid running over a school kid and got tailgated as a result. Her hignness wore a designer blouse that left little to the imagination. Enough diamonds to dazzle you in the miday sun.....and a foulmouth that would put the gutters to shame
She tackled the whole mob that gatheredand zipped away while my friend gaped at her audacity. So much for empowerment of Women!
maverick56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 14:56   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post

Well said. We do tend to forget this sometimes.
I think that more than forgetting it, its the rush of enthusiasm and passion for automobiles that takes over.

Jokes apart, I feel that if its always in the back of our mind, there would be a few less accidents on road. All the young boys who die in bike / car road accidents have no idea what a parent goes through seeing their son dead. Whenever i see a someone driving like hell, i just hope he never gets there.
SX4LOVER is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post
I think that more than forgetting it, its the rush of enthusiasm and passion for automobiles that takes over.

Jokes apart, I feel that if its always in the back of our mind, there would be a few less accidents on road. All the young boys who die in bike / car road accidents have no idea what a parent goes through seeing their son dead. Whenever i see a someone driving like hell, i just hope he never gets there.
so rightly put sir! there was a time when I used to think "hope the guy has a bad accident, for the kind of antics he is pulling on his bike". that was a long time ago. now its what you said "hope nothing happens to him".

@maverick: Totally agree with you on the nouveau riche part.
One of the reasons why I experienced more vehicles rear-ending me in Hyderabad is actually because of a positive trait - most roads there are so much wider that average speeds tend to be much more than in b'lore. As a result sudden braking creates such issues.
carZest is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote