Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 7th June 2011, 09:48   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: BEWARE: Stray Cattle On Mumbai-Pune Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalokg View Post
....The road that you see is actually the approach road to the IRB warehouse. Initially, even I used to think that its an road going to the Sinhagad Institute, but then I noticed that it just goes to the warehouse. But I have seen students waiting by the side of the road for buses going towards Bombay. They probably get there by jumping the institute boundary wall (??). ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
That road does lead to the Sinhgad institute. A friend's children study there and per him that road is regularly used by the institute's buses. Thank fully the politician (from the city with 12 brains) who owns the institute did not insist/ was not indulged or maybe better sense prevailed and a cut was not provided for buses coming from Lonavala to turn right towards the institute. For this they have access via a service road.
Thank you Alok, Khoj for the clarifications. However, should there be a road leading into / off the Expressway in this fashion?
  1. If you notice it joins the Expressway at a very dangerous place - a wide curve. I shudder to think of a speeding vehicle losing control at this point and ploughing into someone using this road.
  2. At all other points in the Expressway there are well indicated exits and entry points. This road has none.
  3. What are students doing on this road? It is scary enough seeing daredevils on motorcycles and on foot trying to cross the Expressway. What about these guys who will be burdened with bags etc.?

The Expressway has several accidents a month. Maybe several every week. What is the point of calling it an 'Express'way if we cannot use it in an Express fashion? And what is the point of the tolls that they charge if care cannot be taken to prevent wrongful entry? I am also noticing an inordinate amount of construction taking place besides this road. Is this one more facility we will want to ruin over time?
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 10:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

Since we are on the topic of the expressway.
There is a new sort of scam going on, my mom read it in the paper yesterday.
Late at night on the expressway. There is thins gang which operates to dupe motorists.
What they do first is throw camphor balls at you car, this sticks near your bonnet, and then it looks as if smoke is coming out from under the bonnet.
You stop on the side to investigate. and then this guy comes up to you claiming he is a mechanic and knowledgeable about what the problem might be and insists he take a look. You thank your lucky stars that someone like that is there available for you in the middle of the night. You open the bonnet for him to take a look. He quickly removes the spark plug without you noticing.
He then tries a couple of things and the car won't start.
So he says he knows of a garage nearby.
Then a couple of other guys who are part of this gang show up from the supposed garage nearby. and they put in the spark plug taken out earlier. Your car starts and everything seems fine. You are overjoyed that these angels were available to help you in the middle of nowhere in the wee hours. And in the end pay an exorbitant sum and drive off happily. oh yeah, The sum mentioned was 10 - 15 K

This was told to me while test driving the new Honda City by my mom. and being the Honda Loyalist that i am, i said MOM don't worry. with this car you get Honda RSA.

Ofcourse the two sales guys in the back pitched in. LOL!

Last edited by mdsaab : 7th June 2011 at 10:56.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 10:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
What they do first is throw camphor balls at you car, this sticks near your bonnet, and then it looks as if smoke is coming out from under the bonnet.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...c-robbers.html

Someone beat you to it

It is just disgusting to know the extent to which people can stoop to, to make a quick buck.
libranof1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 10:55   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...c-robbers.html

Someone beat you to it

It is just disgusting to know the extent to which people can stoop to, to make a quick buck.
and there you have it. you just can't beat the lightning speed of Team-BHP these days. Way to GO! It really is a horrible way to dupe people. SAD!
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 13:24   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
That road does lead to the Sinhgad institute. A friend's children study there and per him that road is regularly used by the institute's buses. Thank fully the politician (from the city with 12 brains) who owns the institute did not insist/ was not indulged or maybe better sense prevailed and a cut was not provided for buses coming from Lonavala to turn right towards the institute. For this they have access via a service road.
Thanks for the clarification. I checked again, yesterday on my way to Pune. There is indeed a proper road with light poles from the institute which connects to the service road about 50m from the main carriageway. If I am not wrong, this road from the institute is a recent development. I do not recollect seeing it about two years ago.

The free-way is getting busier and more dangerous day by day. Even the IRB water tankers which water the plants/trees in the median take illegal U turns directly into the fast lane of the incoming traffic.

At Khalapur, trucks coming from Pune/Lonavala are allowed to take a right turn (by cutting across about 6-8 lanes of traffic coming out of the toll booth) to get onto the Pen connector.

Aalok
aalokg is offline   Reply With Quote