Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 15th June 2017, 11:30   #1981
BHPian

Default Re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
So whenever it rains, our beloved city immediately transforms into a spiderweb of red.
Luckily, I learned from past mistakes and was able to get out of office just when the rain started. Crossed the Viman nagar stretch of Nagar road with full flooding but less traffic.

Why do people turn their hazard lights in rain? Do they prefer to celebrate Christmas in heavy rain or they just anticipate that their car will anyhow stall in the water puddles?
PetrolRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 11:43   #1982
BHPian

Default Re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Why do people turn their hazard lights in rain?
Logic I got told is that it increases visibility a lot more in rains. The same is the case with people entering tunnels on the Eway. Many of them switch on the hazard lamps. I never do so either in rains or tunnels. At best, I just switch on the fog lamps
centaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 12:12   #1983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Logic I got told is that it increases visibility a lot more in rains. The same is the case with people entering tunnels on the Eway. Many of them switch on the hazard lamps. I never do so either in rains or tunnels. At best, I just switch on the fog lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Why do people turn their hazard lights in rain? Do they prefer to celebrate Christmas in heavy rain or they just anticipate that their car will anyhow stall in the water puddles?

That's what happens when knowledge is transferred to normal folks by truck drivers and auto wallahs. This is few of the many idiotic things that happen on our roads. Hazard lights increase visibility of your car in such situations. Yes, but it also blinds the other parts apart from your car because of the massive reflections that happen in rain and fog with that orange light. No one cares. Then there are people who have one side indicator on to warn the incoming traffic of their extreme car edge. Not realizing that indicators are also meant to give direction of turn.
I often feel we are the most intelligent species on earth, who can even differentiate between indicator for edge detection vs turn. So much for autonomous cars in the world. That's AI of next level.
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 13:11   #1984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Isn't the hazard lights are there to notify a hazard, meaning the vehicle is immobile or very close to that?

A simple working parking light (if the car doesn't have a fog light) and working reflectors do the visibility part pretty well. By putting on hazard lights one confuses the other road travelers and also restrict communication regarding one's intent to turn or change lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
That's what happens when knowledge is transferred to normal folks by truck drivers and auto wallahs. This is few of the many idiotic things that happen on our roads. Hazard lights increase visibility of your car in such situations. Yes, but it also blinds the other parts apart from your car because of the massive reflections that happen in rain and fog with that orange light. No one cares. Then there are people who have one side indicator on to warn the incoming traffic of their extreme car edge. Not realizing that indicators are also meant to give direction of turn.
I often feel we are the most intelligent species on earth, who can even differentiate between indicator for edge detection vs turn. So much for autonomous cars in the world. That's AI of next level.
Cant agree more to this. I even seen people with suits in their Merc doing the same here. It is high time, the way it is mandatory now to buy helmet with 2 wheeler, it should be made mandatory to pass a road general knowledge quiz before buying cars.
PetrolRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2017, 16:23   #1985
BHPian

Admins if you think , the post is not suitable here please remove

Recently saw a tweet by the elected MP from Pune showing the map of 3 level flyover which will be constructed at Chandani Chowk. Looking at the map and the way construction proceeds, there will be major traffic snarls
Attached Thumbnails
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants.-c-chowk-plan.jpeg  

mm403 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote