Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2012, 22:41   #871
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants.

I witnessed a weird incident today afternoon. A Yeti was going over mud, rocks and ditches at very fast speed, next to the range hill road. And that too in circles. Maybe a couple of mad people trying to test drive the 4*4. It was funny and scary.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 23:31   #872
BHPian
 
Monaro CV8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 557
Thanked: 463 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot
I witnessed a weird incident today afternoon. A Yeti was going over mud, rocks and ditches at very fast speed, next to the range hill road. And that too in circles. Maybe a couple of mad people trying to test drive the 4*4. It was funny and scary.
What time was this? I happened to pass through that area around 2pm.
Must have missed the mayhem..
BTW, when are they going to finish the roadworks on start of range hill road, while coming from Esquare ? Today I almost drove in that lower ditch section of that half finish road..
Monaro CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 00:07   #873
BHPian
 
subodh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 211
Thanked: 130 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot
I witnessed a weird incident today afternoon. A Yeti was going over mud, rocks and ditches at very fast speed, next to the range hill road. And that too in circles. Maybe a couple of mad people trying to test drive the 4*4. It was funny and scary.
Wow that does sound crazy. Why was it scary? Were they driving fast? People in pune should really particle safe driving with so much traffic and people jumping on the road when you least expect them.
subodh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 09:38   #874
BHPian
 
subodh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 211
Thanked: 130 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8

What time was this? I happened to pass through that area around 2pm.
Must have missed the mayhem..
BTW, when are they going to finish the roadworks on start of range hill road, while coming from Esquare ? Today I almost drove in that lower ditch section of that half finish road..
Yeah that road is a mess as of now. These are the kind of roads which require 4x4 vehicles. Imagine by mistake you drive into that ditch; you will need a 4x4 vehicle or a crane to get you out of there. Those yeti guys should have put the car in the ditch to prove the potential of a 4x4 vehicle
subodh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 09:44   #875
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
What time was this? I happened to pass through that area around 2pm.
Wow, we were very close in time and space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh View Post
Wow that does sound crazy. Why was it scary? Were they driving fast?
It looked like the vehicle would topple over anytime. I think they were trying to time their speed in that road condition. What were the drivers thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh View Post
Those yeti guys should have put the car in the ditch to prove the potential of a 4x4 vehicle
You know, I was musing of the same thing. The only unfortunate part would have been that one end of the dug up road was blocked by a JCB.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 18:55   #876
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants.

The new road I was talking about a few pages back, is almost ready. It connects the new Sangamwadi Road junction to the Golf Course Road. Though the entrance of the road is currently blocked by stones, a narrow portion has been opened by locals and two/three wheelers are using it already. We took a chance and entered from the Deccan College side, and to our great surprise found that there were no blocks on the way. It is a divided road with walls on both sides.

So if someone from city/deccan side wishes to go to Airport, instead of taking the Yerawada bridge and Gunjan Theater junctions, they can use this alternate route which will hopefully have much less traffic. The following map illustrates the route in red and the new road in red+green. Yerawada bridge and Gunjan Theater junctions are marked in black circles.

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants.-path.png

Last edited by dot : 26th January 2012 at 18:57.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 19:10   #877
BHPian
 
Monaro CV8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 557
Thanked: 463 Times
Default

Is it just me or has anybody else noticed this..
I've been pottering around town today - deccan, camp, padmavati, maldhakka chk, etc.
I've been observing the road manners of these PMT buses today. And these fellas are sedately driving now. Couple of times I saw them showing hand signals while changing lanes..!
Giving way to oncoming traffic at unmanned crossings.
Is this the effect of the recent incident with the ST bus?

Thanks for the map @Dot.

OT: please welcome our newest MOD from Pune on the forum ! noopster..

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 26th January 2012 at 19:12.
Monaro CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 19:13   #878
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
I've been observing the road manners of these PMT buses today. And these fellas are sedately driving now. Couple of times I saw them showing hand signals while changing lanes..!
Giving way to oncoming traffic at unmanned crossings.
Yes, I also noticed a difference in their road manners.
We found that when the buses were stopping at bus stands, they were actually parking close to the kerb, leaving the road free.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 19:57   #879
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 138
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants.

Didn't observe any change in attitude of bus drivers. These guys tried to push me divider twice (different bus drivers).
Adi_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 13:25   #880
Senior - BHPian
 
AutoIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PCMC, Pune-MH14
Posts: 3,120
Thanked: 3,818 Times
Default Re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants.

While coming to office @ 12:30 pm, I was stuck up in a jam near the Hadapsar flyover (Pune-Solapur Rd). Somehow I managed to reached the flyover, & then it was a breeze over the flyover. Does anyone has an idea why there was a jam?
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 21:41   #881
Senior - BHPian
 
sajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,556
Thanked: 817 Times
Default Re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
While coming to office @ 12:30 pm, I was stuck up in a jam near the Hadapsar flyover (Pune-Solapur Rd). Somehow I managed to reached the flyover, & then it was a breeze over the flyover. Does anyone has an idea why there was a jam?

I heard that there was a "show of strength" (shakti pradarshan) rally by a large political party.
Late monday morning, me and my dad were driving in Pashan when we saw another (different party) Show of strength rally. About a hundred bikes and dozens of four wheelers and some open Jeeps as well. Ofcourse we pulled to the side of the road until they were past us, partly because they were occupying the entire road. My dad began noting down the numbers of some of those passing 4 wheelers, betting that those sloganeering supporters would surely be a part of some other party's rally tomorrow. The women of the rally were just as "loud" in their sloganeering , if not louder, as their male counterparts.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 09:35   #882
BHPian
 
rahul_sinha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 265
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I heard that there was a "show of strength" (shakti pradarshan) rally by a large political party.
Late monday morning, me and my dad were driving in Pashan when we saw another (different party) Show of strength rally. About a hundred bikes and dozens of four wheelers and some open Jeeps as well. Ofcourse we pulled to the side of the road until they were past us, partly because they were occupying the entire road. My dad began noting down the numbers of some of those passing 4 wheelers, betting that those sloganeering supporters would surely be a part of some other party's rally tomorrow. The women of the rally were just as "loud" in their sloganeering , if not louder, as their male counterparts.
Yep, I too witnessed the jam, while going to Aundh from Balewadi, during late afternoon. Too many bikes and SUVs and cars (all white) with flags of who-cares and a moron standing atop one of the gypsies waving towards the irritated people in the jam. Not sure its the best strategies to garner votes.
rahul_sinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 10:38   #883
Senior - BHPian
 
Swanand Inamdar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,648
Thanked: 573 Times
Default Re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants.

Anyone read about the tiff between the Army guys and police guys in Alka chowk?

Apparently, 2 CME guys were on a bike on Lakdi Bridge. The cops seemed to have pulled them over, and then began a show of strength between the cops and the army.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 10:50   #884
Senior - BHPian
 
AutoIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PCMC, Pune-MH14
Posts: 3,120
Thanked: 3,818 Times
Default Re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Anyone read about the tiff between the Army guys and police guys in Alka chowk?

Apparently, 2 CME guys were on a bike on Lakdi Bridge. The cops seemed to have pulled them over, and then began a show of strength between the cops and the army.
Yes, I read it in the newspaper & saw the clippings on TV as well. I believe it was the CME guys' fault who entered into a "No Entry" road for 2-wheelers (Lakdi Pul), when they should have taken the "Z" bridge. Apparently when the cops pulled them over & demanded the fine, they called up their friends/ colleagues & a mob of 40 gathered at the site & the ruckus between the army & the cops started. Had the 2 guys paid the fine for traffic violation & carried over, such a scene could have been avoided.

Sometimes I really wonder what has happened to the public driving on Pune roads. Have we become so intolerant that we pull out all the weapons from our arsenal at the slightest instigation. Hope good traffic sense would prevail on Pune roads.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 10:55   #885
Senior - BHPian
 
sajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,556
Thanked: 817 Times
Default Re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants.

^^ My memory and observations is really foggy, but I think the signs banning two wheelers are not very prominently displayed , either at Alka side or Deccan side.
I dont know the current scenario, but a few years ago, a Tamil friend of mine was fined because he couldnt read the sign saying so at the start of Lakdi Pul , because it was in Marathi.
It should be prominently displayed everywhere , along with graphical representation and in English.

PS : I am not supporting the Army guys, especially the unncessary show of strength.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation M77 Street Experiences 15128 17th December 2017 09:16
First Long Trip - Bangalore to Vijayawada - Route Query and other related queries Newpunter Route / Travel Queries 6 13th December 2010 15:09
Need help on Road / other conditions on Mumbai to Raigarh (Chhatisgarh) Route Anuj_Mumbai Route / Travel Queries 0 7th July 2010 23:52
Assorted Pictures & Brief Travelogue of my various Journeys! iraghava Travelogues 13 1st August 2006 19:34
Sale - Turbo and assorted bits killjoy Shifting gears 9 6th January 2006 17:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks