Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 25th December 2011, 21:30   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Neighbour doesn't know how to drive. Buys new car, promptly crashes it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post

Learn it in an amby and you will know what it takes. After the amby, the PP was a piece of cake and a much more rev friendly car.
Absolutely sir, Amby is much more difficult to drive , the easier amongst column mounted cars which are Non-powerassited , and have drum brakes is Padmini, hence the suggestion.

The angle at which pedals are placed in a Amby is really weird IMO as compared to a Padmini.

Since both these cars have a fantastic view allround , they are easier to learn driving on.
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 23:35   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Neighbour doesn't know how to drive. Buys new car, promptly crashes it!

Some posters were mentioning the age factor in a few posts. I agree that the reflexes will not be so sharp and instantaneous. Does it mean anybody who aspires to learn car driving after 40's should not learn? No way! I too learnt after 40 only. The reflexes business was felt by my driving school instructor also who never allowed me to go to 3rd gear in first 10days, but allowed a college goer to go to 4th gear on the 2nd day! (4 people get crammed in a single session of 90 minutes in a car and each gets 12 to 15 minutes of driving) .

Even after getting my licence, I got one driver who works on contract basis to teach me in my car (4th hand Zen) for 2 stretches of 4 days each before I took the car on my own.

Probably if the OP's neighbour waited a bit more time in driving in deserted area, it might not have happened
srikanthns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 10:01   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Learning to drive after 40 is a very difficult task. The reflexes that one can build up in their teenage and 20's is unmatched during the 40's. Thus, it is always safe to hire a driver for your needs.
Very true. Got Estilo considering my father who is in his 60s. He took proper lessons too but still used to get concious at certain times.
But he gave up driving car after an incident he saw.

On a right turn, a bike came in from wrong side and dashed to one of the car taking turn. Fault was of the Biker, still the biker had guts to come over with bamboo stick to thrash on windscreen of that car with all foul words.

Seeing this my father gave up the thought of driving again.

Last edited by nomadabhi : 26th December 2011 at 10:06. Reason: Verbal
nomadabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 10:51   #49
BHPian

morons are everywhere, I have seen the so called "safe drivers" - "Read:Ladies" drive as if there is no tomorrow. Mostly young girls in their teens and early 20s drive like maniacs. Yesterday, I was at KNK - CCD (Nungambakkam), there is this almost blind turn, a girl driving an i10 almost rammed into an on-coming swift. Looked absolutely harrowing. Traffic police have to implement sterner punishment for offenders to make sure people (irrespective of the sex) follow the rules and respect other fellow drivers.
MutantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 11:12   #50
BHPian

My father-in-law learned car driving after retirement, though he used to ride scooter before! He is a safe driver & quite confident too!!

Not age, but Self confidence & Presence of mind must be the factors, I guess!
Abes is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 11:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

^^I agree. So far as I have seen, people making a transition from bike to car, even in their late fifties, do much better than people learning to drive for the first time.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 11:54   #52
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes View Post
My father-in-law learned car driving after retirement, though he used to ride scooter before! He is a safe driver & quite confident too!!

Not age, but Self confidence & Presence of mind must be the factors, I guess!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^I agree. So far as I have seen, people making a transition from bike to car, even in their late fifties, do much better than people learning to drive for the first time.
2-wheeler riding experience in itself should not matter much. It would make the transition faster may be.

In my opinion, what matters is whether you are a educated and good driver or not. If you are a good driver, are aware of your & your vehicle's capabilities, drive defensively, are aware of your surrounding, maintain your vehicle well. And then while moving from a 2-wheeler to a 4-wheeler, you would carry over these good traits and be a good driver.

On the other hand, if someone has learnt all the bad things during his 2-wheeler riding experience (zig-zagging through traffic, not using the mirrors, not using turn-indicators, tailgating etc) then even after multiple years of riding experience, most likely he would drive with all those bad habits even when he moves to a 4-wheeler.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 12:50   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartin View Post
It was sad looking at the faces of my neighbor, his wife and their two kids.
Felt very sad for the family reading the above line.
A 45 year old man who bought a Santro to fulfill their dream of owning a car and the story ending like this felt really bad.

Never learn driving on a new car.
One's ability to learn new things, adapt to new situations decreases with age. I feel youngsters learn to drive quickly than an elder person.
He should have learnt driving before buying or taking his new car out.
bharatbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2011, 16:37   #54
Senior - BHPian

My experience with such types: My neighbour a gentleman in his early 40's who bought his santro zing on 7 year EMIs, first bought the car then learnt to drive. Now our newly learned driver, decided one fine Saturday evening to take his entire family (wife, kids, father, mother) on a long drive.

He then decided to 'teach' his wife how to drive on the main road, the result is she turned the steering wheel fully right and promptly crashed into a car (Alto) driving down the opposite side of the single laned road!!!.

Now the best part!!, the Santro's wheel broke off from the front right axle and the alto's front right mud guard had a severe dent. The Alto owner was livid and promptly got down to fight. It turned out that my neighbour didnt bother to purchase insurance on his new ride, his wife had no licence and he had a damaged car plus had damaged the other vehicle. So he had no choice but to go with the alto owner to the workshop to pay and fix the alto. It so turns out the damages on the Alto was about Rs 10k (local garage denting and painting) and his own car required about Rs 15k to repair.
After paying off the Alto owner, my neighbour promptly got his car pushed to the front of his house and for the next two months took the bus to office, since he didnt have cash to spare to repair his ride!!!!

It turns out that my neighbour earns about Rs 25k per month and with the Santro's EMI's and fuel bills and other expenses has nothing to spare at the end of each month..

I fail to realise what kind of people are these...
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:18   #55
BHPian

In my case he didn't crash it.He bought a SX4 and in two years it has covered an astonishing 284Kms.
Yes, you read it correct 284Kms.

He does regular maintenance on his car though and most of the Kms is clocked by service guys, who pick and drop the car for service.
ecenandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 14:22   #56
BHPian

I am 50 and decided to buy and start driving a car 3 months ago. I had to learn driving and I had to be sure I would feel comfortable driving on Delhi roads. I engaged one guy to come and teach me for 30 minutes everyday for 15 days for Rs. 1500. He would come to my workplace around lunch time in his CNG powered dilapidated looking Maruti 800. But he had spare controls on his side too. When I pointed out that various schools in the vicinity break at around the same time, he told me to leave that to him. He landed up the first day and asked me to take the driver's seat. I had done my homework at the Team-BHP and some other sites and knew, in theory, the things to be done. I started driving and first thing we did was to stop at one school and pick up his kid. This boosted my confidence. Thus my training continued for 14 days over a period of a month (on account of holidays and weekends etc.). After every drive my throat would be completely dry and would reach for a glass of water first thing finishing driving. By the end of this training I was driving in third gear through brief stretches of a main road near my office.

I ignored the advice of majority of friends to go for a second hand car and booked Liva Diesel (this story would hopefully shared on some other thread some day). Didn't mind driving a used car. It was just that didn't want to go through the process of buying, selling, buying again. After this period, I was traveling and the car (Liva that I had booked) also arrived sooner than expected. My nephew brought the car and parked it in my apartment. In the evening I noticed deep scratches on the corner of rear bumper gifted by some fellow apartment car owner. It had been one month since I had finished my driving lesson and hadn't touched a car. I decided to move the car to a different position. Started the car and lost my head. It happens sometimes to new drivers when the mind stops functioning. Backed the car without disengaging the hand brake. Didn't switch on the lights (it was somewhat dark) and tried to take it past another car through a narrow gap. Scraped the other car. Came to my senses and requested one young guy who offered to help to park the car in a safe location.

Went out traveling for four days. Came back, got my learner's driving license, engaged driver on a daily basis. Frustration had been building up in me at not being able to drive the new car. 3 kilometers before my office, I asked the driver to let me drive. There were two other colleagues in the back seat. Drove slowly and cautiously to the office. This was exactly one month ago (4th December 2011). After one week I was driving to my office (13 kilometres - 3-4 kilometres of slow and rest relatively fast moving traffic) in the morning with a driver at my side. After another one week, started driving in the evening (it is dark at 6 in winters) back to my home. Since then I have driven around Delhi to various places including airport, Toyota service station etc (odo reads 1500+). Sometimes in the afternoon my senior colleague asks me to drive through small stretches which he considers difficult. This has helped. I never go over 60-65 kmph. But till now I have always had a driver at my side. Waiting to get my Driving license now that I have completed one month of learner's license. Then I will begin to drive on my own.

Parking is a challenge in my apartment and I once gave a mild brush against a car but without any damage. Apart from this my car has not touched another vehicle. If I am able to drive today, I attribute it to first fifteen days of training on M800 in very slow driving through crowded streets, my study to learn driving tips from various sources and to learn from all the 3-4 drivers I have engaged on a daily basis to drive with me, and of course willingness to learn. Next learning agenda - highway driving.

I had my doubts about learning to drive at such an age. I think it can be done. But the task should not be taken lightly. In fact, everyone has to realise that driving is serious business and requires serious learning effort.
jhaji is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 20:59   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Learning to drive after 40 is a very difficult task. The reflexes that one can build up in their teenage and 20's is unmatched during the 40's. Thus, it is always safe to hire a driver for your needs.
That is one thing I'm proud about my Dad. He started taking his driving lessons when he was 56 and now he drives very well, even through the city traffic.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 22:43   #58
BHPian

Well, this scene goes back to 2000s when the Alto VXi 1.1 was still in Production.

A friend who used to stay in the same building bought a Silver Alto VXi, which was driven home by a driver. The very next day we folks were playing football and we hear a huge bang . Rushed to the sight and notice a day old Alto banged up against an iron gate at the entrance.

On speaking to my friend, got to know, that his dad had never ever driven before and accidentally pressed the accelerator instead of the brakes when the gate approached.

Fortunately, haven't seen any other new car getting mangled as in the above instance.

Last edited by MetalBuff : 28th December 2012 at 22:46.
MetalBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 23:24   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
In my case he didn't crash it.He bought a SX4 and in two years it has covered an astonishing 284Kms.
That's amazing indeed !
I remember how my mother had clocked only 500Kms in her new Alto in a year!

I fail to understand why people insist on learning with brand new cars and tainting the mechanicals.
amitwiz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 01:03   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post

He does regular maintenance on his car though and most of the Kms is clocked by service guys, who pick and drop the car for service.
Bro, if you could check his latest ODO reading for me. I am willing to buy this car next year (at depreciated value of course )

I learned driving on open roads (under construction so both sides blocked with small gap to get car in) and on an open ground.
My sister learned from this stupid place in Viman Nagar, Pune. The chap didnt even teach her how to park the car. One fine day, I took her to a large open ground where incidentally they had this mela, being morning there wasnt a soul in sight. They had put up some poles for lighting and stuff. For the next 3 hours we drove on this ground with me instructing her and also keeping the parking brake handy. At the end of it my sister did a reverse slalom through the obstacle course!

She is now an excellently confident driver.

Last edited by torquecurve : 29th December 2012 at 01:26.
torquecurve is offline   Reply With Quote