Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2011, 11:28   #16
BHPian
 
quickdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 979
Thanked: 1,202 Times
Default re: Head Unit Theft, commonplace in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista_qjd View Post
Expensive audio is a liability in any country i guess. I had mine stolen twice in US. The third time i replaced with an OEM and for peace of mind. The worst part was that the window glass replacement which was more expensive than the stereo itself.

This is one big reason why I always prefer an OEM stereo. Because it is not in as much demand in the after market. Moreover its a big pain to detach the headset and carry with you every time you park the car someplace.
Its quite the opposite for me, the stereo was worth way more then the glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Even if we have motion sensors, does the circuit gets cut off if the thief cuts the wires from side indicators?

This was the modus operandi for most Scorpio/Bolero thefts which has been discussed in other threads.

IMO if we have a security system, we should ensure it does not include side indicators in the circuit.

I think we all should have a fake plain cover which we can fit over existing units so that the thief feels there is no system in the car.

I dont know how it can be done, but the sight of a good system attracts thieves.
Yes I've seen some ways to do that, I am still without a head unit. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
There is also a provision in new car security systems to protect the audio system. The HU's ground is connected through the security system - if anybody removes the connection the alarm goes off. My 5 year old Autocop had it. Almost all security systems in the range of 4-5K have interior motion sensor and audio protection - check it.
The auto-parts guy says the motion sensor's sensitivity is too absurd it goes off if there is a fly inside the car, is that true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Nice!! You do understand that the depreciation on the insured amount would possibly get you 2 such music systems.

Yeah very similar to someone who would buy a high end system, not insure it and to top it use a cheap security system and leave it for all to see in a city where the music system thefts are so common the police don't even record them anymore. Oh wait!!!!
Thats against the point, you mentioned about car-theft it would be much less agonizing for me. Then this which has happened twice already.

I didn't know that we can insure car stereo's honestly. Also I don't consider a 3k security system cheap by any means, I was not aware that it doesn't work in this specific predicament. Like I didn't know about the side indicator wiring thing which was mentioned.

Also everyone I just received this from a friend today, his and around 5 other cars got broken into. He lives in Oshiwara.

Name:  x2_6c4ac21.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  37.8 KB

Exact same thing, car parked outside building. Watchman was right there and says he didn't hear anything.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 11:41   #17
BHPian
 
fuel_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 691
Thanked: 111 Times
Default re: Head Unit Theft, commonplace in Mumbai

That looks really bad. I can understand your plight. I thought car stereo thefts were on the wane but Oshiwara/Lokhandwala area is an exception. Have heard stories about both car and stereo thefts there. The watchmen as always feign ignorance. I wonder if they work hand-in-glove with the thieves.

High end non-detachable systems are really a liability. The simpler detachable ones give you some piece of mind since you can just remove the HU everytime you park. I am one of them.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 12:12   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,607
Thanked: 1,855 Times
Default re: Head Unit Theft, commonplace in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I didn't know that we can insure car stereo's honestly. Also I don't consider a 3k security system cheap by any means, I was not aware that it doesn't work in this specific predicament. Like I didn't know about the side indicator wiring thing which was mentioned.
+1 to that quickdraw. It is unfortunate that you have had to learn this lesson through such an incident. I am sure some of us (I am one) dont know that the security system can be bypassed to commit thefts in such a manner. perhaps you can take solace in the fact that you have brought this out on tbhp and some of us could now take preventive action based on your experience.

It seems that they use some sort of cutter device to break/ shatter the glass with minimal noise. IMHO, it is quite possible that the watchmen did not hear this; most of them are not so alert at a lot of times. If there are multiple watchmen, they are anyway busy chatting with each other or listening to the radio. I am not discounting the conspiracy theory; just saying that the thugs may be smart enough to keep it quiet.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 13:29   #19
BHPian
 
archat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 669
Thanked: 182 Times
Default re: Head Unit Theft, commonplace in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post

The auto-parts guy says the motion sensor's sensitivity is too absurd it goes off if there is a fly inside the car, is that true?
Yes that's true - but you can adjust the sensitivity of the sensor. Although I think the best bet would be to buy a HU with detachable faceplate. While parking in a isolated / unsafe spot just remove the faceplate and take it with you.

And yes, you CAN insure your car audio equipments - just add those next time you renew your car insurance policy. I have seen that provision in the forms but I've never used it.
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 14:52   #20
BHPian
 
quickdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 979
Thanked: 1,202 Times
Default re: Head Unit Theft, commonplace in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
+1 to that quickdraw. It is unfortunate that you have had to learn this lesson through such an incident. I am sure some of us (I am one) dont know that the security system can be bypassed to commit thefts in such a manner. perhaps you can take solace in the fact that you have brought this out on tbhp and some of us could now take preventive action based on your experience.

It seems that they use some sort of cutter device to break/ shatter the glass with minimal noise. IMHO, it is quite possible that the watchmen did not hear this; most of them are not so alert at a lot of times. If there are multiple watchmen, they are anyway busy chatting with each other or listening to the radio. I am not discounting the conspiracy theory; just saying that the thugs may be smart enough to keep it quiet.
Thanks for the positive comments, I feel we should ask everyone to come and contribute to the thread so the fact of how omnipresent this problem is comes out in the open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Yes that's true - but you can adjust the sensitivity of the sensor. Although I think the best bet would be to buy a HU with detachable faceplate. While parking in a isolated / unsafe spot just remove the faceplate and take it with you.

And yes, you CAN insure your car audio equipments - just add those next time you renew your car insurance policy. I have seen that provision in the forms but I've never used it.
I will be insuring mine, and understand its usually when car is parked on the road so will never do that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
That looks really bad. I can understand your plight. I thought car stereo thefts were on the wane but Oshiwara/Lokhandwala area is an exception. Have heard stories about both car and stereo thefts there. The watchmen as always feign ignorance. I wonder if they work hand-in-glove with the thieves.

High end non-detachable systems are really a liability. The simpler detachable ones give you some piece of mind since you can just remove the HU everytime you park. I am one of them.
But the detachable ones are usually low-end. I really need a touch-screen for my iPhone/Addressbook/Music/Bluetooth
Attached Images
  
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 00:25   #21
BHPian
 
Ad1tya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 49
Thanked: 2 Times
Default re: Head Unit Theft, commonplace in Mumbai

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post edited. Abusive language whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics is STRICTLY prohibited.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.




This happened to my Innova at Breach Candy.. A building away from mine where we had parked the car.

We have 3 cars and only 2 garages, so one has to be parked outside.

Head Unit Theft, commonplace in Mumbai-img_5654.jpg

Head Unit Theft, commonplace in Mumbai-img_5656.jpg

Head Unit Theft, commonplace in Mumbai-img_5659.jpg

Head Unit Theft, commonplace in Mumbai-img_5660.jpg

Head Unit Theft, commonplace in Mumbai-img_5662.jpg

Head Unit Theft, commonplace in Mumbai-img_5666.jpg

Head Unit Theft, commonplace in Mumbai-img_5667.jpg

Head Unit Theft, commonplace in Mumbai-img_5671.jpg

Filed and FIR, yadda yadda. There was no reason to even bother with Insurance because the Glass cost us like 1600 (from Shinrai) and the HU wasn't insured plus it was a Grey Pioneer 3150UB.
We usually remove the HU Panel, but this time my mother forgot to and this happened the same night. Unbelievable eh?

At this location, there is a security guard in the building and over 4 guards for the various buildings opposite.

None of them knew anything. Definitely inside jobs. Meh.
Ad1tya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 10:33   #22
BHPian
 
quickdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 979
Thanked: 1,202 Times
Default re: Head Unit Theft, commonplace in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad1tya View Post
Filed and FIR, yadda yadda. There was no reason to even bother with Insurance because the Glass cost us like 1600 (from Shinrai) and the HU wasn't insured plus it was a Grey Pioneer 3150UB.
We usually remove the HU Panel, but this time my mother forgot to and this happened the same night. Unbelievable eh?

At this location, there is a security guard in the building and over 4 guards for the various buildings opposite.

None of them knew anything. Definitely inside jobs. Meh.
Hey Ad1tya feel really sorry to see these pictures, and the fact the thread is a cold turkey makes me feel that not many people are concerned about this in Mumbai. I mean this is just 4 incidents in the last month that I've brought across here, and we're all acquaintances I cant imagine how many of these must happen daily.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 10:43   #23
BHPian
 
Ad1tya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 49
Thanked: 2 Times
Default re: Head Unit Theft, commonplace in Mumbai

Same night this happened to my car, it happened at my friends place at Nepean Sea road as well. HU stolen from his Swift.
Ad1tya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 10:57   #24
BHPian
 
nick17s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 528
Thanked: 86 Times
Default re: Head Unit Theft, commonplace in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Boss, very simple give one or two tight ones to your security on his face, make big noise for who was on duty that night in front of others who you say totally a dozen of them that night, catch hold of him and thraeten him of taking him to police , he will speak up , thats my experience when similar thing happened in our society few years back.Actually that is the language these guys understand.

thats the correct way, a brand new (1 week old) Pioneer HU was stolen from my dad's M 800, and the guard on duty was involved in it..thieves literally cut off the dashboard with a blade and took away the HU without damaging the wires, they took off tape from the wires..speakers were not stolen though..
nick17s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 13:45   #25
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Head Unit Theft, commonplace in Mumbai

The same thing has happened to me around this time this year. The left front window was broken into and surprisingly only the detachable front panel of the music system was taken away. This happened at Juhu near ISKCON, with the security guards.

Why one would want to remove only the front panel is beyond me. I was told by the cops that this is a common occurrence in this area. apparently happens during the rainy season.

I have begun taking the detachable panel home with me now.
axon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 15:19   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BOM
Posts: 1,593
Thanked: 1,166 Times
Default re: Head Unit Theft, commonplace in Mumbai

Guys,
Is the thefts happening only to the aftermarket ICEs? Or cars with OEM stock players also getting ripped off? Asking as I have to park outside when I am in Mumbai.

Also most of the thefts seem to be happening on the western line, correct me if I'm wrong. Is the police making any headways? Not that I have any expectations from them, but Mumbai police are generally better off than the other cities, or so I have heard.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 15:47   #27
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,005
Thanked: 6,160 Times
Default re: Head Unit Theft, commonplace in Mumbai

Stealing HU's from cars was the in thing for robbers back then, I remember. And just like retro-fashion, it's back!

It's disheartening to see such things happen. But some things are inevitable I guess. And what's worse. The Ac vents are missing too! How cheap can some people get, really?

I'm sorry Quickdraw. Only you will know the pain, especially after this incident being the second time.

Oh, I'd like to say that these Watchmen are very much hand-in-glove with the whole operation. I'm sure they get a cut. Thing is, you've gotta strike a deal with them, before the thieves do. But even then, you may not be lucky.

Why hand-in-glove, I say? Well, think about it, if you were 5 meters away, wouldn't you hear a glass being smashed? I've heard a glass-window being smashed, and let me tell you one thing, it's LOUD. almost like an explosion. It would wake up Kumbakarna, even!

So don't buy what these security chaps tell you.

I have a detachable HU in my Santro, and I take it with me whenever I park the car on the street, if I have to. I've heard of several incidents in Bangalore too, and some of them have happened in broad-daylight! Beat that! A friend's Swift was broken into, right outside College premises, and the thieves not only stole the HU, but also the 4 speakers, 2 tweeters the amp and the Sub as well!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 12:34   #28
BHPian
 
aayushnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 132
Thanked: 346 Times
Default Theives Broke My Car Window - Can't park cars even on the Main Road Now?

Hi Guys,

As if the Sun Film Ban wasn't enough, like already said by so many on this and other forums - our basic needs: safety & comfort is not what the government of this country is concerned about.

I am one of those who have been directly impacted by this, just 'cause i'm one of those who thought that following a "stupid, discriminatory, inexplicable so called law" was better than having to pay Rs.100/- for not following it every-time some cop doing his bit to save the planet stops me.

I'm going to stop ranting and come to the point - this Thursday i had parked my Skoda Fabia on the Juhu Gulmohar road (in a parking zone) right on the main road to visit my sister who's hospitalized.
She was parked at 15:00 and I returned at 17:00 to notice that the rear window (LHS) wasn't reflecting as it would in the midday sun. I ran towards the car to see that the window glass was smashed in (or cut) and my belongings including a bag, a phone, some cash, drivers license & other small items were stolen.

I was in complete shock for a few minutes as i just couldnt believe this happened, right on the main road in broad day-light and other cars parked close by with some drivers inside too.
The car player was intact, there were a few other items in glove box but they too weren't out of place.
This was the job of novices or someone from the road construction party, cuz they didnt even know how to unlock the music system.

I know leaving behind a bag with these items inside my car was probably a mistake, but it is my car - and i parked in place which is far from being isolated.

The only reason i feel that this even happened was cause of the thieves getting a clear view into the car - the so called law.

Where does the "aam aadmi" go - we're supposed to counter the sun's blazing heat and it's effects on our skin and now these criminals - just cause some idiot thinks this will stop rapes in our country.

I went and registered an FIR at the Juhu Police Station - they were helpful and noted down all the details. Let's see if they're able to find these creeps or my phone.

Anyway - I had to park the car overnight in my building with a paper covering the broken window and a car cover on the car.
The next day I went to Skoda to have the glass replaced - they didnt have it in stock (lucky) - cause they quoted a good 4.5k for the glass plus labor.
I went to an automotive car glass replacement center and they had an OEM skoda (Saint Gobain - Sekurit) glass available for 1.5K with fitting.

The replacement glass was the same brand and type thats fitted by Skoda, so I was happy that atleast i got the same type for 1/3 the price.

Bringing me back to the same point I raised earlier - what about our Constitutional rights (the right to privacy, safety and comfort) well no body cares.

Cheers,
Aayush.
aayushnair is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 09:43   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,945
Thanked: 1,879 Times
Default Re: Theives Broke My Car Window - Can't park cars even on the Main Road Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayushnair View Post
As if the Sun Film Ban wasn't enough, like already said by so many on this and other forums - our basic needs: safety & comfort is not what the government of this country is concerned about.

She was parked at 15:00 and I returned at 17:00 to notice that the rear window (LHS) wasn't reflecting as it would in the midday sun. I ran towards the car to see that the window glass was smashed in (or cut) and my belongings including a bag, a phone, some cash, drivers license & other small items were stolen.

Bringing me back to the same point I raised earlier - what about our Constitutional rights (the right to privacy, safety and comfort) well no body cares. Aayush.
I am very sorry for your loss, especially of your licence, believe me its good you filed an FIR, its so easy to use legal documents for shady business.
However, how can you blame your loss on the no sunfilm rule? It is you who kept your belongings in the car, parked on a street side. Its the most fundamental mistake, enough to attract thieves anywhere in the world.
Sunfilm or not, one must never leave belongings in a locked/parked car. Items like phones, cash, laptops, licence etc can be easily carried in a small backpack. Bulky items can be hidden in the boot, or under the parcel tray of a hatchback. Else always park in a secured parking close to the security.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 20:26   #30
BHPian
 
aayushnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 132
Thanked: 346 Times
Default Re: Theives Broke My Car Window - Can't park cars even on the Main Road Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I am very sorry for your loss, especially of your licence, believe me its good you filed an FIR, its so easy to use legal documents for shady business.
However, how can you blame your loss on the no sunfilm rule? It is you who kept your belongings in the car, parked on a street side. Its the most fundamental mistake, enough to attract thieves anywhere in the world.
Sunfilm or not, one must never leave belongings in a locked/parked car. Items like phones, cash, laptops, licence etc can be easily carried in a small backpack. Bulky items can be hidden in the boot, or under the parcel tray of a hatchback. Else always park in a secured parking close to the security.
Thanks buddy!
I understand that it's my fault leaving behind my bag in the car; the reason why i'm blaming the sunfilm rule is cause the film acts as a deterrent in such situations as things inside the car are not so easily seen. I had the reflective type film (legal variant - atleast before the law).
But now because of me being used to something i've always done, i've paid the price!

But this is a good reminder to avoid such occurrences by not leaving things behind.

Cheers,
Aayush
aayushnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JVC Head Unit Problem. revtech In-Car Entertainment 13 5th October 2015 12:05
reading on head unit amit_sound In-Car Entertainment 5 15th May 2006 12:49
Can it happen?? - Replacing a 2 DIN Head Unit SRK In-Car Entertainment 9 8th May 2006 11:37
Need a DVD head-unit Sahil In-Car Entertainment 1 24th June 2005 13:43
Pioneer 5750 Head Unit neverclever In-Car Entertainment 4 14th June 2005 07:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks