Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 13:15   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Four-year dream run comes to an end - Laura L&K accident

My Skoda Laura would have completed 4 years on 26-June-2011 and I was planning to write an ownership reivew, but unfortunately it met with a major accident and is currently camping at A.S.S.

Photos take at the workshop: (Dropped it yesterday, so it will take a couple of days to complete estimation and it's fate)
Four-year dream run comes to an end - Laura L&K accident-photo0190_fl.jpg
Four-year dream run comes to an end - Laura L&K accident-photo0191_fl.jpg
Four-year dream run comes to an end - Laura L&K accident-photo0192_fl.jpg

The vehicle at the police station (I was not there at the site of the accident and the vehicle was already at police station by the time I reached)
Four-year dream run comes to an end - Laura L&K accident-photo0171_fl.jpg
Four-year dream run comes to an end - Laura L&K accident-photo0172_fl.jpg
Four-year dream run comes to an end - Laura L&K accident-photo0173_fl.jpg
Four-year dream run comes to an end - Laura L&K accident-photo0174_fl.jpg
Four-year dream run comes to an end - Laura L&K accident-photo0175_fl.jpg
Four-year dream run comes to an end - Laura L&K accident-photo0176_fl.jpg

I tried to pull some photos from my photo archives just to remind myself how the car looked before:
In Jan-2011 (latest I have):
Four-year dream run comes to an end - Laura L&K accident-photo0032_fl.jpg
Four-year dream run comes to an end - Laura L&K accident-photo0036_2_fl.jpg
Few older pics:
Four-year dream run comes to an end - Laura L&K accident-chickmnglrlaura_fl.jpg
Four-year dream run comes to an end - Laura L&K accident-chiklaura2.jpg
Four-year dream run comes to an end - Laura L&K accident-coorglaura_fl.jpg

My parents were traveling towards Hyd from Bangalore (NH-07) and around 5KM after chikballapur town there was an auto in the left lane that took a sudden righ turn (i guess he saw a gap in the median and wanted to take U-turn and didn't bother to see what's in the right lane). Our driver swerved right and hit the median - and my guess is he hit the median at full speed either without braking or insufficient braking.

The concrete median chopped off everything that is below the fog-lamp level and the median barrier has smashed into the front-left fender. Green coolant was all over the bottom broken plastics and few 'guts/wires' where dangling from the bottom (pics don't show). The "turing" auto hit the left rear passenger door.

Front two airbags deployed and all the three (mom, dad, driver) seat-belt pretensioners were also activated. All were wearing seat-belts so they were all safe (my parents were later recounting the story and told me that they thought "this was it!"). Auto driver fell from the auto and he sustained injuries (hospitalized) - we were later told he was alright but under treatment.

The scene after the accident was tense what with all the people gathering on the highway and the beginning of a mob-action. Luckily some of the locals supported us saying we saved that moron's life by damaging our car. When my parents called me I told all of them to go to the police station (chikballapur) asap and forget the car. When the driver told me the airbags deployed, I pretty much lost hope on the car and I was hoping that the auto driver is out of danger (for conscience sake and to skip future complications)

This happened on a saturday, so we could finish the FIR formalities on Saturday itself. We needed to complete RTO+Police paperwork to get the car to the workshop which we could do only on Monday. Apparently the auto does not have proper documents and the driver does not have a DL, so no one came to the police station to lodge a complaint, etc. during the last four days.

I will receive the detailed evaluation from A.S.S in a day or two. Even though the car looks to be in OK shape, the repairs costs are massive and it might not be worth doing it. Rough estimate 6-7 Lacs:
1. Airbags 250K
2. 5-seat belts (with pretensioners) 50K
3. two xenon headlamp units (they are intact, but the harness is broken): 40K
4. Compressor: 50K
5. bumper, fogs, flat tyre etc: ??
5. Lot more damage underneath ??

Hopefully I will have the information on cost to repair, insurance coverage, etc. by this weekend and I will take a call. Repair will typically take 45 days it seems!

When the dust settles, I would like to describe the procedure/tips for dealing with such an accident.

I am usually not attached to 'things' but before I went to bed on Saturday there was a lump in my throat - all the memories of this car flashed before me (kids, parents, school, office, vacation, friends everything!)

This car always felt so solid and so safe - I used to jokingly tell my passengers (parents, wife, friends, etc.) that if you wear seat-belts, all the hell may break loose but you will not die in this car. Little exaggeration, but thats how I always felt in this car. And if it was not for this car, when my driver called me to tell they met with a serious accident, I would have been super scared for my parents (I know they wear seat-belts all the time)

Well.. let us see how the story unfolds and see how bad skoda a.s.s and ICICI Lombard can get!!

Btw, the car is at Vinayaka a.s.s and I have been very happy with them so far, so I am hoping they will do their bit this time also.

Last edited by androdev : 15th June 2011 at 13:42.
androdev is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 14:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Four-year dream run comes to an end - Laura L&K accident

Thats one nasty incident but i am glad that no one was hurt. The build quality on the Skoda is excellent and has managed to keep the occupants safe.

Good that everyone was belted up. Hope the insurance guys dont hassle you during the claim process.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 14:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Oh man, thats bad! Luckily no one was injured and glad that every occupant in the car is safe. This does prove the build quality in a way though.

However, the damage expenses mentioned are WAY TOO HIGH! 6-7 lacs? You could get another car in that amount.

A few questions that do arise in my mind are:
Why would the seat belts need to be changed? Cant they be repaired?
Once the airbags are deployed, do they need to be changed?
What amount of the total expenditure would be covered by Insurance? If 0dep is in place, wouldnt all be taken care of?

Hope things turn out for the best for you. Do keep us updated.
Old 15th June 2011, 14:26   #4
BHPian

That's a really bad shunt.
The silver lining is that no one was injured and there was no mob-attack.
Auto/2 wheelers taking these unplanned cuts/u turns is currently the biggest problem on our highways.

Hoping you see your car back in action hale and hearty.

Edit:
Swanand: Air bags are one time use. They have to be changed if deployed. Don't know about seat belts. If I recollect right, zero% dep is for the first three years and this car was going to celebrate its 4th birthday, hence might be outside the gambit of that.

Last edited by f1fan : 15th June 2011 at 14:40.
f1fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 14:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Oh man, thats bad! Luckily no one was injured and glad that every occupant in the car is safe. This does prove the build quality in a way though.

However, the damage expenses mentioned are WAY TOO HIGH! 6-7 lacs? You could get another car in that amount.
It is high, I can easily see it adding up to this amount. Thats the way with these cars. Parts are expensive.

Quote:
A few questions that do arise in my mind are:
Why would the seat belts need to be changed? Cant they be repaired?
Once the airbags are deployed, do they need to be changed?
What amount of the total expenditure would be covered by Insurance? If 0dep is in place, wouldnt all be taken care of?

Hope things turn out for the best for you. Do keep us updated.
Seat belts have "pretensioners" which are some kind of explosives similar to airbags (google for pretensioners) so they need replacement.

Not only airbags, but also the airbag controller needs replacement and of course the dash that was ripped open by the airbag.

I don't have 0 depreciation insurance, just the regular one. Ironically I have already paid for 0 depreciation insurance for the next policy period which starts on 26th of this month. I have never claimed insurance before so I have to see how the experience goes.
Old 15th June 2011, 14:37   #6
BHPian

I can feel what you are going through @androdev. Looking at the brighter side, it's great that everybody was belted up and also airbags and seat belts did what they are supposed to.

Just trying to picturize the scene, how big/tall was the median? Was it tall enough to stop the car from jumping over to the opposite side or in the worst case scenario, topple over? This could have been a possibility as you say the driver swerved to the right at high speeds hitting the median.
Old 15th June 2011, 14:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Androdev,
Sorry for such a bad loss and glad that no-one was injured in the accident.
But 2.5Lakhs for a airbag? Are they so expensive.
And what adds to the cost of Air bags? the air bag controller ?
Will look out google for pretensioners,as I also don't have much info. about it.
Please do update about the estimated cost of repair.
Old 15th June 2011, 14:58   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Accidents are always scary esp the ones on the highway at high speeds. Glad that the nobody was seriously injured. Autos on highways are just disasters waiting to happen. These guys rarely come out on the highway and drive as they would in the city, without realising the speeds that today's cars are capable of. The worst part is the mob behaviour after the accident. You and parents can consider yourselves very lucky that the mob gave you credit for saving the Autodriver's life. My uncle was once was forced to withdraw and pay 40k from the nearby ATM when he brushed a drunk two wheeler on NH4.
Old 15th June 2011, 14:59   #9
BHPian

Used to see your car everyday, Feel sad to look at the car in this condition.

First thing I want to tell out of experience is, please ensure that you get a note from the police or mention in the FIR that the auto driver is absconding or is not interested in pressing any charges. I am saying this because, i too had a similar accident once and the other guy came all bandaged up after 3 days to the police station says that it was a hit and run! And i ended up fighting a case for 3 years for such a small oversight.

If your FIR mentions an Auto and along with the driver details (like name, fathers name, no DL etc) then its fine. Else anyone else will show up claiming to be the driver of the auto to make some quick buck.

If you need any help regarding claiming insurance, do give me a buzz. Have PM'ed you my number.
mac187 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 15:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

@androdev

OMG, Thats real bad. I was just comparing the before and after looks of the car and thats where it hurt me a lot. I was relieved that the occupants were unhurt and shows the build quality of the car.

The estimates is eye popping. The Airbags replacement being the major chunk of the repairs is one hell of a costly item, 2.5L. No wonder the models with airbags are that expensive. My heart goes out to you.I hope the A.S.S comes out with a justifiable cost. What was the IDV on the Insurance?
Old 15th June 2011, 15:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
4. Compressor: 50K
Sorry to hear about the accident, good that everyone is safe. What compressor is this costing 50K?

Spike
Old 15th June 2011, 15:17   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the incident. Glad that all passengers were wearing seat belts, and came out without a scratch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
But 2.5Lakhs for a airbag? Are they so expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The Airbags replacement being the major chunk of the repairs is one hell of a costly item, 2.5L.
You guys should hear the quote for replacing these in Mercs and beemers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Not only airbags, but also the airbag controller needs replacement and of course the dash that was ripped open by the airbag.
Unlike regular airbag set up, the Figo dash is designed in a way that only a panel, not the entire dash need to be replaced in the even of airbag popping out. A very sensible design to save repair costs.

Just thought that, its a point worth mentioning.

And arnt the airbags covered only 50% by the insurance?.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 15:23   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Used to see your car everyday, Feel sad to look at the car in this condition.
Really? where/how come?! I'm curious ;-)

Quote:
First thing I want to tell out of experience is, please ensure that you get a note from the police or mention in the FIR that the auto driver is absconding or is not interested in pressing any charges. I am saying this because, i too had a similar accident once and the other guy came all bandaged up after 3 days to the police station says that it was a hit and run! And i ended up fighting a case for 3 years for such a small oversight.

If your FIR mentions an Auto and along with the driver details (like name, fathers name, no DL etc) then its fine. Else anyone else will show up claiming to be the driver of the auto to make some quick buck.

If you need any help regarding claiming insurance, do give me a buzz. Have PM'ed you my number.
Yes the FIR mentioned the auto reg no and the driver's name, etc. Sadly, I do not know kannada and did not follow most of the proceedings and as a result the complaint was registered on *my* driver IPC-279 (rash driving), IPC-337 (causing minor injuries). I had a person with me to "handle" it, but I realized much later that an advocate is a must in these cases. Because the accident took place outside of Bangalore, I was not that resourceful. Because the police kept insisting that "no matter what, the case will always be registered against the driver of the bigger-CC vehicle" and most people I spoke to assured me that 279 and 337 are very routine cases and not to be worried about. But somehow I don't feel it went well.

I am going to post the insurance details once the story progresses to that stage. Can't do without fellow members help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@androdev

OMG, Thats real bad. I was just comparing the before and after looks of the car and thats where it hurt me a lot. I was relieved that the occupants were unhurt and shows the build quality of the car.

The estimates is eye popping. The Airbags replacement being the major chunk of the repairs is one hell of a costly item, 2.5L. No wonder the models with airbags are that expensive. My heart goes out to you.I hope the A.S.S comes out with a justifiable cost. What was the IDV on the Insurance?
Airbags: two airbags + dashboard + airbag controller. Internet forums suggest that airbag controller can be reused but it is semi-illegal. Also I have come across 250K figure for airbag replacement in other threads on the tbhp. IDV is 966K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Sorry to hear about the accident, good that everyone is safe. What compressor is this costing 50K?

Spike
Haven't you been reading about Laura A/C problems on the forum? I have heard such costs :-)

skoda compressor site:team-bhp.com - Google Search
Old 15th June 2011, 15:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the accident, androdev. Anyway glad that everyone is safe.
Old 15th June 2011, 15:42   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
I can feel what you are going through @androdev. Looking at the brighter side, it's great that everybody was belted up and also airbags and seat belts did what they are supposed to.

Just trying to picturize the scene, how big/tall was the median? Was it tall enough to stop the car from jumping over to the opposite side or in the worst case scenario, topple over? This could have been a possibility as you say the driver swerved to the right at high speeds hitting the median.
The median concrete portion is at the fog-lamp level (maybe 3/4th of foot?) and it pretty much chopped off anything that is at the fogs and below. But the median also had a steel barrier which hit the left fender. The car could not have gone to the other side for sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks