Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2011, 03:52   #46
BHPian

Re: Four-year dream run comes to an end - Laura L&K accident

Good to see everyone are ok, thats the most important thing, excellent job done by the car's safety system.
Old 16th June 2011, 06:23   #47
BHPian

Sad to see the state of the car, but glad no one got hurt.

It would be better to write off the car should the repair bills be so high. You can invest the insurance money into a new car.

Cheers,
Old 16th June 2011, 06:43   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
The zero depreciation insurance products relatively new. So I didnt have one, but my next insurance policy which I bought a week back is zero-dep policy. Got it from Bajaj Allianz even though my car is 4 yrs old.
Thanks for sharing this information. So the < 3yrs old clause in only applicable in case of TATA AIG. I have also checked the Bajaj Allianz drive assure zero depreciation policy. It doesn't have any conditions about the age of the car, insurance company will pay you 90% of the claim value for two times in a year.
The vehicle would be considered a total loss, if the repair of the vehicle should exceed 75% of the IDV of the vehicle with ICICI LOMBARD, BAJAJ ALLIANZ.
What was the IDV of your vehicle ?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bajaj Allianz - Drive Assure- Benifit & conditions.pdf (173.5 KB, 970 views)

Last edited by F150 : 16th June 2011 at 06:56.
Old 16th June 2011, 06:48   #49
Senior - BHPian

I am glad that the occupants are safe. It's sad to see the state of the vehicle. Take Care.
Old 16th June 2011, 06:56   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlakhanpal View Post
@androdev: Nice to read that everybody is fine, and hope the absolute "shock" of the collision has settled.

Sad to see the cars condition, but relieved that the safety features proved their worth.

Sadly, the insurance covers only depreciated values and not the cost of replacement. As it is, I doubt if many people will opt for such plans (insurance claim to serve need for replacement) for cars in India.

I do have a question on the side though - how much do you think the "airbags" contributed in saving everybody from injury? Do you believe the seat-belts were the differentiators? If yes, do you (and other fellow BHPians) feel that airbags are being imposed on the consumers when ABS, EBD, and Seat belts suffice to save you in such situations?

Mods: Please vet if my queries are OT. I did not see any specific discussion questioning the bundling on Airbags with ABS.
My parents were sitting in the rear and they did not benefit from airbags. If it was a side impact, curtain airbags would have deployed. Front passenger seat was empty, but still the passenger airbag deployed. I guess the newer cars are equipped with sensors that will trigger the airbag only if the seat is occupied. Driver definitely benefitted from the airbag. Airbags are effective in preventing "head injuries" and head injuries can be fatal even if minor. If you are not convinced of airbags, you should watch crash-tests on youtube, esp pay attention to the bleeding on the dummy's head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Thanks for sharing this information. So the < 3yrs old clause in only applicable in case of TATA AIG. I have also checked the Bajaj Allianz drive assure zero depreciation policy. It doesn't have any conditions about the age of the car, insurance company will pay you 90% of the claim value for two times in a year.
The vehicle would be considered a total loss, if the repair of the vehicle should exceed 75% of the IDV of the vehicle both incase of TATA AIG and BAJAJ ALLIANZ
Check the quote I got from Bajaj Allianz for this car which I actually purchased as my next policy (which I need to cancel now):
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2362278

Last edited by androdev : 16th June 2011 at 06:58.
Old 16th June 2011, 07:06   #51
Senior - BHPian

Ok I checked the quote from Bajaj Allianz the IDV is given as Rs 805800, this is taken when the car is 4yrs OLD. The IDV given in ICICI Lombard should be more than this. Since the car is 4yrs old, depreciation for calculation of IDV is 50%. So the original price of the car was Rs 16L. IDV of ICICI Lombard when the car was 3yrs OLD would be Rs 16L*0.6 = Rs 9,60,000.

So far a total loss, the repair value should be greater than 75% of Rs 9,60,000 = Rs 7,20,000

I suggest you should push for total loss. You need the help of your supposedly friendly service adviser, as we are almost there as per the initial estimate of 6-7L

Last edited by F150 : 16th June 2011 at 07:08.
Old 16th June 2011, 07:24   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ok I checked the quote from Bajaj Allianz the IDV is given as Rs 805800, this is taken when the car is 4yrs OLD. The IDV given in ICICI Lombard should be more than this. Since the car is 4yrs old, depreciation for calculation of IDV is 50%. So the original price of the car was Rs 16L. IDV of ICICI Lombard when the car was 3yrs OLD would be Rs 16L*0.6 = Rs 9,60,000.

So far a total loss, the repair value should be greater than 75% of Rs 9,60,000 = Rs 7,20,000

I suggest you should push for total loss. You need the help of your supposedly friendly service adviser, as we are almost there as per the initial estimate of 6-7L
Currently I do not have zero-dep policy. (My next policy starting from 26-June is, but that is not relevant now). So in my case, insurance liability of repair value should be more than 75% of IDV. Which means repair value should be much more than IDV (960K) and 600-700K repair will not qualify for total loss.

Btw, will the original IDV be ex-showroom price or on-road-price? The OTR price for this car was nearly 20L, while the ex-showroom price was 16-ish.
Old 16th June 2011, 07:28   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Currently I do not have zero-dep policy. (My next policy starting from 26-June is, but that is not relevant now). So in my case, insurance liability of repair value should be more than 75% of IDV. Which means repair value should be much more than IDV (960K) and 600-700K repair will not qualify for total loss.

Btw, will the original IDV be ex-showroom price or on-road-price? The OTR price for this car was nearly 20L, while the ex-showroom price was 16-ish.
Repair cost should be more than 75% of the IDV. What is the IDV mentioned in your current policy(ICICI LOMBARD). ?
Old 16th June 2011, 07:43   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Repair cost should be more than 75% of the IDV. What is the IDV mentioned in your current policy(ICICI LOMBARD). ?
My current IDV as per ICICI policy is 960K. Are you sure if my repair value is say 8 Lakhs and insurance is liable to pay 5 lakhs, I will be given total loss? I doubt it.
Old 16th June 2011, 07:54   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My current IDV as per ICICI policy is 960K. Are you sure if my repair value is say 8 Lakhs and insurance is liable to pay 5 lakhs, I will be given total loss? I doubt it.
Oh boy, insurance is a mystery. We would need expert guidance from our fellow forum member RJVORA
Old 16th June 2011, 08:22   #56
BHPian

Thank God for keeping all the occupants safe and sound. I am sure you will get over this soon.

What are the complications if the accident involves a vehicle from outside the state where the incident takes place ?

I know folks who have vehicles from other states but still have not re-registered, NOC'ed etc. Would the owner require to prove the tenure of his vehicle's stay in this state ?
Old 16th June 2011, 08:42   #57
Senior - BHPian

Structural damage?

My Laura has been dubbed "Le Tank" for its strength (proved after it took down a milestone on a TBHP drive) and for its unflappable nature displayed on our AP to AP drive. Your accident reinforces the image of a car that does its job well.

From the pictures and from the estimates, I see that there is no structural damage i.e. nothing has happened to the cross members or chassis. It might be worth it to get the car repaired. Just make sure the engine and gear-box have suffered no damage before embarking on the repair job.

All the best.
Old 16th June 2011, 11:25   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the FIR mentioned the auto reg no and the driver's name, etc. Sadly, I do not know kannada and did not follow most of the proceedings and as a result the complaint was registered on *my* driver IPC-279 (rash driving), IPC-337 (causing minor injuries). I had a person with me to "handle" it, but I realized much later that an advocate is a must in these cases. Because the accident took place outside of Bangalore, I was not that resourceful. Because the police kept insisting that "no matter what, the case will always be registered against the driver of the bigger-CC vehicle" and most people I spoke to assured me that 279 and 337 are very routine cases and not to be worried about. But somehow I don't feel it went well.
You should insist on getting a copy of the FIR in either Hindi (slim chance in a South Indian state) or in English. Make a written request to the police station for the same and get their response in writing too. In case they fudged up the FIR in Kannada without you knowing it, you can claim innocence in the court if you had requested an English translation and they didn't provide it.

The police cannot register a case against your driver unless they have 'evidence' indicating he was at fault. There is no law which says the bigger vehicle's driver should be booked. In the event there's no complaint, or there's no evidence indicating your driver was at fault, they should simply register the accident.

If the auto driver didn't have a driving license and the auto didn't have valid papers/permit, get the same verified and documented as it may prove useful in the court. Try to keep the communication in writing and obtain acknowledgements whenever you are sending applications or requests for information to various departments/agencies.

Not to mention photographs of the place where the incident occurred, preferably right after the accident, photographs of the damaged auto as well as your vehicle should be obtained and preserved as they can prove how the accident occurred.
Old 16th June 2011, 12:39   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The IDV for the car is basically calculated based on the ex showroom cost of the car for the current year. Most of the times for the total loss the cost of repairs should be more than 75% of the IDV however some of the Insurers also have 80% as the benchmark.

My guess in order to avoid the total loss and the Insurance co having to pay you the IDV amount, the workshop may revise the estimate and quote you much below the 75% value.
Old 16th June 2011, 13:05   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
If I may pitch in - airbags are an absolute must if you want to drive your car being totally safe. No argument over this one.

How would you know beforehand whether you are going to have a fender bender (which still may activate the airbags) which can be managed by the seatbelts or a bad high speed collision/roll/flip in case of which airbags (front and curtain) , coupled with crumple zones, collapsible steering and auto unlocking doors can form the difference between life and death?

IMO - airbags+ABS requirement should be imposed by the government, as countries in which human life is valued have already done so.
Yes, and this thread is a great reference point for those who claim that ‘I am a good driver, and never does anything fancy with my car, and hence I don’t need any additional safety options’.

If not for the airbag, I am sure the driver would have suffered badly in this accident.

Most Viewed