Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2011, 22:54   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
rajeev k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Emerging Metro
Posts: 3,296
Thanked: 1,689 Times
Default Re: Are horns becoming irrelevant in India

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 20th June 2011 at 15:34.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 19th June 2011, 23:08   #17
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,406
Thanked: 3,930 Times
Default Re: Are horns becoming irrelevant in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
No one can scare away an elephant with horn. If the person is lucky the elephant will walk away in disgust.
=========
Do not ever use a horn on an animal. When anyone encounters wild animals, the best approach is to stop and wait for them to cross and go away.
Well, actually, loud horns and bright lights are what forest jeeps use to move elephants from their track. This method works, and I do not know if its cause the animal is scared or disgusted.

What you have mentioned is right, "Do not ever use a horn on an animal.", but then, loud horns and bright lights are used only when they come at you, and not when they are silently trying to pass.

----------------------

Coming to the topic, for someone to honk at me, I should be at the wrong place at the wrong time, or doing wrong and dangerous antics. If you make sure you do not do these, then there is no reason why someone should honk at you. Apart from curves, where I should be expecting to hear it, and not drive with loud music Or am I missing something?.

As for when you have to use the horn, make sure you are using it ONLY when someone tries any antics or is at a wrong place at the wrong time. Use it ONLY to warn someone, and not force them to give way, especially pedestrians.

P.S - Make sure you are not the one people are honking at.

Last edited by dhanushs : 19th June 2011 at 23:11.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 07:48   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,581
Thanked: 3,481 Times
Default Re: Are horns becoming irrelevant in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Well here are some reasons why I am saying this:
  • Reduced NVH levels in cars: in recent cars the NVH levels are so less that horns outside are becoming unhearable, even if case some light music is being played in the car.
  • Immunity to horns: Frankly I am guessing with the growing number of cars blowing horns, frankly no one cares any longer about anyone blowing horns behind one's vehicle. In other countries, horns are a medium to say someone is not happy with driving, but in India horns are used uselessly. This makes one rather immune to any horns.
  • Prolonged AC: before the AC days there were open windows but nowadays no one I doubt if anyone bothers about the environment outside.
  • Music system:With good music systems and most of them people playing music I am doubting if they bother about horns.
Valid reasons, but still only applicable to a minority (private cars). I guess we are still a long way to do away with horns. I can comment on based on the cities I experienced recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Coming to the topic, for someone to honk at me, I should be at the wrong place at the wrong time, or doing wrong and dangerous antics. If you make sure you do not do these, then there is no reason why someone should honk at you. Apart from curves, where I should be expecting to hear it, and not drive with loud music Or am I missing something?.

As for when you have to use the horn, make sure you are using it ONLY when someone tries any antics or is at a wrong place at the wrong time. Use it ONLY to warn someone, and not force them to give way, especially pedestrians.

P.S - Make sure you are not the one people are honking at.
Yes and No!
Yes, in developed countries where horn usage is kept to minimum, but not in India (or at least in Kerala).
Some examples: (1) what you can do with those private buses that use the horn like ambulance siren. They are honking at you because they’re in a hurry, and not because you are at fault (2) What about those numerous cars and auto-rickshaws using the horn at you in traffic signals, because you have left a bit of space from the vehicle in front of you. At least in cities like Thrissur and Cochin, it’s an expression of emotions
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 08:33   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: raipur
Posts: 105
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Are horns becoming irrelevant in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I know at the outset one might wonder why I am saying that the horns are becoming irrelevant in Indian car scene.

Well here are some reasons why I am saying this:
  • Immunity to horns: Frankly I am guessing with the growing number of cars blowing horns, frankly no one cares any longer about anyone blowing horns behind one's vehicle. In other countries, horns are a medium to say someone is not happy with driving, but in India horns are used uselessly. This makes one rather immune to any horns.
Let me know if you feel the same in India. Is there a way to improve this?
People have grown their immunity to Horns so much so that they dont bother to even give a reaction to it. Let alone the people who get their home delivery of their driving license without knowing how to drive and think horn is the best way to be safe.
jasmeetsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 10:30   #20
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,234
Thanked: 3,644 Times
Default Re: Are horns becoming irrelevant in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
[/list]Yes, in developed countries where horn usage is kept to minimum,
It is not only developed countries that limit the use of horns. Even in relatively undeveloped countries like Thailand the use of horns is not as prevalent. I was surprised at this myself. Bangkok for example has traffic jams that can easily rival Mumbai but you dont hear so many blaring horns.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 11:13   #21
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,581
Thanked: 3,481 Times
Default Re: Are horns becoming irrelevant in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
It is not only developed countries that limit the use of horns. Even in relatively undeveloped countries like Thailand the use of horns is not as prevalent. I was surprised at this myself. Bangkok for example has traffic jams that can easily rival Mumbai but you dont hear so many blaring horns.
Very true! I have lived in Bangkok for two years, and completely agree with what you said. I stand corrected – instead of saying developed countries, I should have mentioned developed auto markets
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 12:13   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,607
Thanked: 1,855 Times
Default Re: Are horns becoming irrelevant in India

I have become quite immune to honking too. However, I think honking as on our city streets today (especially the two hoot one) is mostly to let other drivers and pedestrians know your relevant position on the street.

Just to tell them I am here (to your left/ right/ wherever). So the other guys on the street are forewarned to look in the ORVMs (if open)/ left/ right/ wherever before attempting any lane changes/ abrupt speeding or braking or running across the street etc.

Edit: how much do I wish that I become immune to high beams too!
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 12:19   #23
BHPian
 
Gooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 347
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: Are horns becoming irrelevant in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post

Well here are some reasons why I am saying this:
  • Reduced NVH levels in cars: in recent cars the NVH levels are so less that horns outside are becoming unhearable, even if case some light music is being played in the car.
Advances in NVH reduction techniques and technology DO NOT mean that outside noise is totally cut off. In fact, the main objective of vehicle acoustics is to cut off Noise Vibration and Harshness OF the vehicle and not insulate the driver totally from ambient sound. You need to stay connected to outside audible events to drive efficiently. Good vehicle acoustics will always make, say for example, the hum of a V6 or a drone of a 2 stroke motorcycle that passes by audible to the driver with the AC on. A horn should be definitely heard.
  • Immunity to horns: Frankly I am guessing with the growing number of cars blowing horns, frankly no one cares any longer about anyone blowing horns behind one's vehicle. In other countries, horns are a medium to say someone is not happy with driving, but in India horns are used uselessly. This makes one rather immune to any horns.
This is a valid point you have made. Sad, but true. We have abused the vehicle horn so much that we have almost become immune to it. We forget that the horn is one of the most potent active safety device in a vehicle. This reminds me of an article a foreigner wrote on the meanings of the way a horn is sounded in India. He was so surprised and fascinated by the casual use of horns he actually ended up writing the satirical on it. Will try to dig it up.
  • Music system:With good music systems and most of them people playing music I am doubting if they bother about horns.
The moment the music inside your car interfers with your capacity to hear the horns of other vehicles, it is time you turned down the volume of the in-car music sytem.

Has anyone felt this way, using horns is no longer uselful in India. I mean cars dont care about it, lorries / buses never bother about it.
The only option of really using it is when a lone pedestrian comes in front of car. Other than that its of no use. In fact even "No Horn" areas end up being noisy. To be frank I rarely hear the horns myself sometimes, when someone is horning behind me.

Let me know if you feel the same in India. Is there a way to improve this?
Well, I do not think horns have become totally redundant. I mean, when you are in bumper to bumper traffic and you say you cannot hear the horn, I'd say what is the use of honking in choc-a-block traffic. You will only move when the jam clears. And it won't be surprising if you do not hear a horn in such a din. Use a horn when required - to coax a stray cow out of the way, warn pedestrian when they try to play superman, warn other vehicles when you want to overtake (during day time) or take a turn, when backing out your car fom the garage / compound into a road. Expecting horns to clear a road block or turn the traffic signal green is wishful thinking.
Gooney is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 12:36   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 146
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Are horns becoming irrelevant in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Horns will never become irrelevant here in India because, every driver has to honk when the vehicle in front slows down, be it be due to someone crossing the road abruptly or if there is any kind of obstruction warranting the car in front to slow down or stop.
Very true, indeed. But, horn and our thumbs are like, 'made for each other'

One classic epitome: Volkswagen Polo's horn is tailored for India, a bit louder.

So, its not irrelevant and never will be; at least to warn pedestrians/two wheelers on the highways. Its a different story in cities, the way I see it - horn doesn't move a thing!
hdnivara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 12:54   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,406
Thanked: 3,930 Times
Default Re: Are horns becoming irrelevant in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
(1) what you can do with those private buses that use the horn like ambulance siren. They are honking at you because they’re in a hurry, and not because you are at fault (2) What about those numerous cars and auto-rickshaws using the horn at you in traffic signals, because you have left a bit of space from the vehicle in front of you.
How true Sir!. There is nothing at all, that we can do to silence these civilized fellow drivers.

But then, when I'm in the mood, I do make sure that the irrelevantly honking fellow drivers get what they want. Don't ask me how & what, as it might be non-actionable in tbhp.

Actually, those m****s make it difficult for us to differentiate between a vehicle in genuine emergency and one who is honking irrelevantly.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 14:10   #26
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,626
Thanked: 9,100 Times
Default Re: Are horns becoming irrelevant in India

The premise of the orignal post is pretty far-out, if you'll forgive me. Horns are anything but irrelevant to a safe driver. You ignore a horn at your peril. I can't think of anything stupdier to do that ignore another driver honking at you just because some of us admittedly over-use them!

I hardly use my horn at all while driving, much to the annoyance of my co-passengers. But yes- there are times when I need to use the horn and I certainly don't hesitate then.

Honking at people crossing, a vehicle waiting in front of you (not illegally I mean) etc. is just silly and I think all of us at least on the forums are smart enough to realise that. And hoking at poor dumb animals just ends up scaring them- the last thing I want to incite on a city road or highway is a buffalo stampede!

@navin- why Thailand? Even colleagues from even-more underdeveloped Kenya find it alarming the way Indian drivers "hoot" while driving. According to them, hooting at someone over there is the ultimate insult and very rarely indulged in. It's shameful that we as a country have a log way to go in getting basic on-street etiquette in place!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 14:17   #27
BHPian
 
aqualeo2040's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Back 2 Bangy
Posts: 407
Thanked: 230 Times
Default Re: Are horns becoming irrelevant in India

Even before we ponder on the relevance of Horn in India, I have a question. Why do we need horns?
Its not that the road is filled with people with sensory irregularities. Almost all people on the street can see, hear, feel etc as expected of a specimen of the Homo Sapiens species. Sometimes, some of them are absent minded and hence need to be reminded of their current location.
However, most others consider themselves to be mavericks and indulge in massive multi-tasking, thus using their primary senses for doing something other than whats expected of them.These multi-taskers are also referred to as 'idiots' (The CEAT ad helps with some live examples).
Now, to get the attention of these so called idiots, we use the contraption called HORN. With their ipod/cellphones stuck to their ears, I dont think most of them can hear a thing. Unfortunately, the designer of the automobile horn could not possibly conceive that Sony would come up with something(walkman) that can render this horn useless.
Generally, this horn is used to express displeasure. In that case, we Indians are the most upset lot of people around the world.
As a alternative, we have international standards for usage of headlights, which I personally find less obstrusive and annoying as that noise source.
Which brings me to another topic: No Horn Zones.
Almost all of us are so engrossed in our 'bajaana' that we tend to shed some of our civic senses, specially in and around hospitals/schools.
I dont recall when I used my horn last. I believe that the driver in front of me is smart enough to see that the signal requests him to move ahead, smart enough to indicate before a turn because he/she doesnt want his vehicle to get damaged, smart enough to stop/slow down/brake if there are potholes/stones/roadkill (i hate driving over roadkills), and smart enough to check his RVMs and understand that I have dipped my headlight requesting for space to go ahead. However, since there are always idiots on road, I also maintain a safe distance to take evasive/emergency actions just in case the driver in front of me is not very smart.
Personally, I do not like these people who feel that they can honk their way out of everything, including overtaking ambulances!
aqualeo2040 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 14:17   #28
BHPian
 
JoeMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore , DE
Posts: 119
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Are horns becoming irrelevant in India

Well I dont think horning is becoming irrelevant - yes its probably the most over abused part of a car..but still if honlking can save me from scratches by an absent minded rickshaw guy cutting lanes ,or a zig zagging two wheeler or even while overtaking a city bus and most importantly help me in avoiding a day dreaming jay walking pedestrain- Then I'm more than happy to blare a loud horn.
JoeMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 14:30   #29
BHPian
 
sa_kiran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thane
Posts: 513
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Honking is a form of utter contempt for any laid out rules. A lot of people derive thrill in breaking rules, not only on roads.

I was parking in a multi storied parking lot yesterday, which has clearly marked entry and exit lanes. People were honking (in a closed environment) and also randomly going into wrong lanes. This is nothing but utter contempt of rules. Another problem is that most of the drivers are unfit to drive, they know nothing but honking!

Growing immune to honking is very easy (at least for me) at home, I live next to a highway. But growing immune while driving is impossible, as we are witness to the madness first hand.
sa_kiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 16:39   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cochin
Posts: 334
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Are horns becoming irrelevant in India

Horns may be irrevelant in some of the developed countries of the world. But in india it is quiet a different story

Reason
We blow Horn
1. To 'give way' because most of them dont obey or are ignorant on lane discipline.

2. To alert the reckless pedestrians who are on a fast busy road trying to cross the road or a zebra crossing( There's no question of none slowing down)

3.To show our lack of patience in a traffic jam.

4. To shoo away cattles on the road.

5. To alert a driver infornt whose doors are not shut properly or any other scenario where the vehicle is running dangerously.

6. To irritately overtake a vehicle on a single lane .

These are some of the reasons i can point out now but i'm sure there are many more.
kphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiat studying feasibility of India becoming export hub for Chrysler Redline6800 The Indian Car Scene 1 14th May 2013 13:24
India becoming a global hub for fake auto parts mithun The Indian Car Scene 1 20th September 2007 17:04
India is fast becoming a hub for diabetes ECM Shifting gears 3 8th January 2007 13:32
Will the Air Horns last as longer as Electric Horns ? mithun Modifications & Accessories 4 15th June 2006 11:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:05.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks