Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 1st August 2011, 01:20   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Your Biggest fear while riding/driving.

While driving on highway, I have this strange creepy fear, that chills my spine for a moment or two. When I overtake the multiaxel vehicle transport trucks, the possibility of it overturning and falling over me sends shudders. I make sure I overtake them only on straight lines, never venture close to them when a slight hint of a curve is approaching.

This is a new fear I have developed more recently. May be the perception is the culprit here. I have seen couple of images of overturned trucks, this might have got etched into my brain cells.
doxinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 09:27   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

City - Cyclists, rickshaw, motorcyclist and autos wanting to get cosy and friendly with my car. My car just snubs them, though lets see how long can these leeches keep their dirty hands away from my beauty.

The other thing I dread is, whenever I am going to an unknown place, I always inquire multiple times about the scenario above.

Most of these issue is sorted out in the Safari and because I don't like driving the SUV much, the driver takes over.

Bad roads, kilometers long.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 12:21   #63

When overtaking trucks on multi-lane highway i fear that trucks changing lanes to my lane suddenly. I have gone through this experience couple of times and developed the habit honking whenever i overtake a truck.

When slowing down for humps on highway i fear being read ending.

During late nights i fear crossing junctions even if lights are greens.
vbnadgir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 20:00   #64
BHPian

Default Whats your biggest fear while driving on highway and city?

Hello all driving enthusiasts!

We all have safety as our first priority while driving, especially if we are with our loved ones. Please share what your biggest fear is while driving? You can classify your fear based on highway/city and day/night. Also please post how you overcome your fear or suggest antidotes to others fears.

I am a spirited and aggressive driver (but I am considerate towards other vehicles on the road too) and these are my fears.

Biggest fear on highway:
On 4 lane highway, I always have this fear that a pedestrian or a negligent vehicle may cross the road, especially when intersections cant be spotted from a distance.

In city:
I have phobia of 2 wheelers zigzagging into my lane or me hitting them from behind.
chevyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 21:24   #65

Default Re: Whats your biggest fear while driving on highway and city?

Hi chevyman! I am a spirited driver but rarely aggressive.

On highway:
On the highways, I have this fear that animals like dogs or cattle may stray across the road, especially after a blind curve ahead.
Only way to tackle it for me is I slow down a bit before negotiating the curve.

In city:
In a car- Worried about someone rear ending me when coming to sudden stop.
In a bike- Worried about negligent pedestrian crossing roads at unlight or poorly lit roads .
All I do about it is, i reduce in-city speeds and be extracareful on those unlit roads

Other than that I try to maintain my vehicle's in top shape with regular maintenance and buckle up/ use my riding gear.
stormy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 21:29   #66
Senior - BHPian

Lots of fears.

Mostly related to stray humans, errant traffic near villages, people's usage of the wrong side of the road while taking shortcuts and of course, sadly, stray animals.

Another fear that is becoming increasingly apparent is possible muggings and thievery.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 21:38   #67
BHPian

When on highways, wrong side road usage, people crossing carelessly by foot or on two wheelers and the worst - people using mobiles and overtaking me.

In city, fear of bumping two wheelers when I drive, or someone hitting me from behind when I am on a two Wheeler.

Last edited by GTO : 27th November 2014 at 15:27. Reason: Typos
smrtdvl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 21:48   #68
BHPian

A few months ago I was driving from Hyderabad to Nellore - and was on Ongole bypass stretch when I saw an RTC bus right in front of me on the right most lane coming in the wrong direction!

I almost did a double take - slammed the brakes - swerved to the left and managed to cut just in time ahead of the truck in the left lane. That RTC bus continued as if nothing happened there!

Before you ask me, no - the other side had not been closed for traffic. This guy just got lazy and was driving on the wrong side because the intersection was nearer this way.

Even in cases where the other side is blocked for traffic and oncoming traffic is routed to this side, there are normally no warning messages for drivers coming in the right direction that they now have to share the lanes with oncoming traffic. This is a huge risk - given how nice our highways are - When you are driving at 100kmph and suddenly encounter "officially sanctioned" oncoming traffic.

Also, jaywalkers. I am terrified of them. Had a bad incident some years ago and spent three days in Malar hospitals ICU thanks to a jaywalker. There goes two days of my life that I will never get back (2 days memory wiped off)

It would be really great if the road works department puts in a warning message on both sides of the road when such blocks are put in place.

Last edited by venuvedam : 25th November 2014 at 21:49. Reason: Put in more details
venuvedam is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 21:52   #69
BHPian

3 situations rank as the biggest fears in my mind while driving on the highways:
1. Cattle/livestock/Humans emerging from the bushes on the median and idiots cutting across the highway suddenly at intersections.
2. Fear of finding a broken-down vehicle just after exiting a blind curve and morons driving in the wrong direction on the overtaking lane.
3. Biggest fear is a Tyre blowout, I'm in fact so freaked out that I check the tyre pressure twice before a long drive.

In the city my biggest fear is sideswiping a two wheeler and also road rage, these days everyone loses their cool in a matter of microseconds in traffic.

Last edited by Shanksta : 25th November 2014 at 21:55.
Shanksta is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 22:00   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
A few months ago I was driving from Hyderabad to Nellore - and was on Ongole bypass stretch when I saw an RTC bus right in front of me on the right most lane coming in the wrong direction!
=========
It would be really great if the road works department puts in a warning message on both sides of the road when such blocks are put in place.
Can understand what you went through when you saw the RTC bus converging on you. Presence of mind saved you. This is why one of my rules is "never trust the road", even if its the road you have traveled umpteen times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
3 situations rank as the biggest fears in my mind while driving on the highways:
1. Cattle/livestock/Humans emerging from the bushes on the median and idiots cutting across the highway suddenly at intersections.
2. Fear of finding a broken-down vehicle just after exiting a blind curve and morons driving in the wrong direction on the overtaking lane.
3. Biggest fear is a Tyre blowout, I'm in fact so freaked out that I check the tyre pressure twice before a long drive.

In the city my biggest fear is sideswiping a two wheeler and also road rage, these days everyone loses their cool in a matter of microseconds in traffic.
This is how I manage tyre blowout fear:
I use Bridgestone tubeless tyres, right now done 5000KM odd so in good condition but I still check all the tyres for any cuts or bruises before a long journey along with tyre pressure. I use Nitrogen. I dont think there is anything else we can do to minimize the blowout threat.

Plus I keep playing the worst case scenario in my mind and check myself if I am ready to handle it. I may sound paranoid but its good to be 200% sure than regret later, especially if you have your loved ones with you.

I was highly susceptible to road rage earlier but now I have mellowed down and almost dont care about anyone overtaking me.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 26th November 2014 at 08:18. Reason: Back to back posts.
chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 22:14   #71
BHPian

Biggest fear is I not being able to avoid an accident/incident no matter whose mistake it is, and some one looses his life, or worse is crippled for life.

I am a firm believer that I can be responsible only for my half of the driving, the other half is in the other guys hands. If he makes a mistake, I hope to be in a position to give both of us the best chance.

I guess this defines me being a sedate driver.
PVPal is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 22:33   #72
D C
BHPian

On Highways - The toughest challenge are the jaywalkers, two wheelers and anyone who drives wrong way

On City - I am extra careful with all types of taxis, includes Autos
D C is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 00:11   #73
BHPian

Default Whats your biggest fear while driving on highway and city?

On Highway

A vehicle coming from the opposite direction, jumping the divider (due to over-speeding, tyre blow out, etc) and landing on me or in my path.

In City

Multiple pile-ups.
Bubby is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 00:30   #74
BHPian

Hi everybody
Great thread to start Chevyman.
There are so many problems on Indian roads that you have to constantly look out for other's mistake.And that is what I do. It is immaterial if you are in the right or in the wrong.
My biggest fear is getting stuck on a highway and as I travel alone finding help means that I have to leave the car unattended with luggage.
Another fear is not reaching a hotel before sunset. I cant drive after it.
My biggest fear was when I drove to Leh, alone and at the age of 67 years, that if I had a problem my family will have a herculean task to come to my aid.Touch wood the trip went smoothly and except for one instance where I lost my nerve after seeing the steep downwards incline near the end of the pass which goes above the Zozila pass.
Regards
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 00:55   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

On the highway
1. Tyre burst (had it once on Allahabad expressway)
2. Mechanical failure like drive shaft failing
3. Sudden loss of power while overtaking on a single lane highway (had it once on my rx135 while overtaking a truck)

The only way to minimize the chances of the above are to take care of the vehicle, but at the end of the day it is a machine and can fail

In the city
1. Being rear ended
2. Jaywalkers
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote