Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 20th June 2011, 00:27   #1
BHPian

Post Your biggest fear while riding / driving

I remember being asked a very basic question by a friend of mine. "What do you fear the most while riding/driving?"

At that moment I couldn't answer him. Started thinking about this question and gradually realised I am cautious/expectant/fear so many things while driving/riding without my knowledge.

Posting the same question to my fellow BHPians. Please pour in your thoughts!
Added_flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 11:14   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Your Biggest fear while riding/driving.

I fear the fearless idiot who roams the streets and highways, these guys seem to have told their loved ones that "mera intezaar mat karna, shayad mai aaj wapis nahi aayega" (dont keep waiting on me, may be I wont return today). These guys are not limited to just stray jaywalkers, but cyclists, TVS50'ists, motorcyclists, tractor drivers and virtually any thing that can help them to get on the highway!

The only other thing that I dread in Karnataka and especially Bengaluru is the unpainted and unsuspicious speed and suspension breakers. When you think you've got them all covered, there will be a surprise waiting for you ahead
amolpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 11:34   #3
BHPian

I am worried and very watchful when i am driving on the highways and see guys standing on the medians and making unpredictable moves.
Night_Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 11:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

getting to meet an overnight-developed, suspension-shattering, underbody-scraping pothole/bump, on any road that i use regularly.....ouch!
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 11:43   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post

The only other thing that I dread in Karnataka and especially Bengaluru is the unpainted and unsuspicious speed and suspension breakers. When you think you've got them all covered, there will be a surprise waiting for you ahead
Totally agree with this! I've observed in Bangalore-Mysore road, whenever a couple of accidents happen in (say) the same spot, a new speed breaker comes up overnight. In most cases the locals are responsible for these unpainted speed breakers with absolutely no indication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I am most worried about scratches / dents in crowded traffic.
This is sad but invariable in today's traffic scenario. Two-wheelers touching ORVMs or inflicting scratches on front/rear bumpers are literally unavoidable. What more, we can't even get hold of them as they sneak through out of sight before we can even get out of the car!

One of my biggest fears is these trucks laden with protruding metal rods or sheets! Sometimes these are completely invisible (especially after dark). Just the thought that if I can't brake on time or I don't see these rods, they get in straight through the windshield and onto my face! Scares me !!!
Added_flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 11:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Oh, I could just go on about this :

1) small kids running around on the narrow bylanes.
2) pigeons, hens, chickens on the street (it might sound funny but run over one and you'll know how much it can set you back by)
3) animals on the road
4) clowns who drive on the wrong side, tractors on highways
5) those tiny scratches that might come during rush hour traffic.

and most importantly,

6) having people who don't care as much about you do, in your car. (you can't say anything to them!)
7) the disapproving look from people who care just as much about cars as I do, about any imperfection in my cars. Eg. One mud-flap was dangling and I prayed no T-BHPian would point it out; if anyone did, I'd lose some respect for myself. PS : It is fixed now
8) making a mistake and a car-lover saying, "it's ok, mistakes happen". No, they don't!

I feel all of them are my biggest fears!
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 12:17   #7
BHPian

I am a time conscious person. Whenever there is an appointment or scheduled meeting with group of friends, my fear would be reaching late. I fret out while driving, hoping there is no traffic, and make sure i reach the place on time, only to find out that I was the only person who was on time and the rest coolly make it late and don't even care about being late.

Last edited by crossroads : 20th June 2011 at 12:18.
crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 12:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Considering my fear of sharp objects, it has to be the fear of iron rods/ bamboo poles/ anything dangling out of the rear of a truck. The problem is that my eyes shut immediately or I have to look elsewhere as I think it is a risk/ will pierce someone.

Another pet peeve is against certain floral smells. I feel pukish when I have smells such as the mogra (whatever they sell at traffic signals these days) within the car. Fortunately my wife is sympathetic to this idiosyncracy and doesnt bring any in the car or anywhere near me. I have had to stop travelling in/ driving the inlaws car as the MIL buys these at some shops/ signals and keeps them in their car. On second thoughts, maybe I dont miss that so much though

I also feared that my son will remove his seatbelt while I was driving. Funnily enough I had this fear till he learnt how to remove the seatbelt. Now that he knows how to operate it and remove it, I dont have this fear anymore.

A weird one is about people smashing any car door shut. Technically this isnt while driving, but I still cannot take it when anyone slams the door too much

Last edited by selfdrive : 20th June 2011 at 12:25.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 12:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Tyre burst at max speed 80-100kmph on a highway(don't know this speed is enough for that to happen even though you are not overloaded).
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 12:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Your Biggest fear while riding/driving.

My biggest worries when driving are
1) Trailing behind the BEST buses/BMC dumpers -you dont know when they will brake or change lanes
2) Moronic two wheelers & 3 wheelers who will try to squeeze between spaces at signal or in a bumper to bumper traffic
3) Rear passengers unlocking the doors in my car.

Other related worries - Whether my car is safe when parked either in open or in mall. I pray that I dont see any surprise scratches.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 12:46   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

My biggest fear?

Potholes and non-reflective pedestrians(children) at night, in the highway. With a truck focusing all of its 4x130 wrath upon you, its really difficult to spot a rim bending pothole or worse, an innocent child running across the road, especially when I'm in an unfamiliar territory.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 13:12   #12
BHPian

City driving: Kids. I can't understand why people walk with children on the traffic side instead of curb side!

Highway driving: I generally drive at night, so spared of the pesky local goods vehicles and villagers riding/driving on the wrong side. My biggest fear is the trucks pulling out while being overtaken. Second, rocks and other debris left behind on the road.
bullinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 13:17   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

A few I can think of at this moment Some worries while driving on our roads:
  1. Trucks with single headlight ON coming in the opposite way (have encountered quite a few of these in the past few years).
  2. Those colorful private buses in Kerala. They are always in the lookout to kill someone. Looking at the way Louis Hamilton is driving this season, I feel he took some lessons from them during the season break.
  3. Regular potholes due to road erosion are quite manageable, but there are some, which is like a piece of the tarmac is taken away. Last year I got into one next to a fly-over somewhere around K.R.Pura Bangalore (not sure of the exact location), and next day I was in Metro Ford to do a wheel correction. Quite scary!
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 14:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Flooded roads is what I fear most, specially if I don't know how deep that pool of water can be.. It's probably related to my fear of drowning, I basically hate to go near deep water. Other then that I can't think of anything else that I'm scared of while on the road. Before I knew driving I used to fear the mountain/hill roads a lot but after I started driving myself I just felt at home while on mountains..
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 14:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

My biggest fear is overconfidence - the moment I am over confidence about my abilities, I am sure I am extending an open invitation to accidents.
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote