Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 29th June 2011, 11:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Monsoon Blues : Delhi - Gurgaon Expressway flooded on 27/06/11

On Monday the 27th June, 2011, Delhi/NCR was hit by some moderate to heavy pre-monsoon showers. Inspite of the tall claims by the Municipality two drops from the heaven and it is chaos all around. Serpentine ques of vehicles, roads turned into small lakes, stranded & stalled vehicles and what not.

But all of this normally was witenssed on the city roads & bylanes. But on the Expressway? No way..!

But this is what happened to the famed Delhi - Gurgaon Expressway, more popularly called the NH8.

Bolero

Monsoon Blues : Delhi - Gurgaon Expressway flooded on 27/06/11-nh8.jpg

Scorpio

Name:  nh8c.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  399.9 KB

NH 8

Monsoon Blues : Delhi - Gurgaon Expressway flooded on 27/06/11-nh8b.jpg

Monsoon Blues : Delhi - Gurgaon Expressway flooded on 27/06/11-nh8a.jpg

Monsoon Blues : Delhi - Gurgaon Expressway flooded on 27/06/11-nh8e.jpg

Monsoon Blues : Delhi - Gurgaon Expressway flooded on 27/06/11-nh8d.jpg

What will happen once the skies open up fully..?

Last edited by gd1418 : 29th June 2011 at 11:48.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 16:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Monsoon Blues : Delhi - Gurgaon Expressway flooded on 27/06/11

This is the situation on the Delhi - Gurgaon expressway; very soon we'll have the same images from Gurgaon city.

During last year's torrential rains, I made the mistake of going to Vyapar Kendra (Sushant Lok - 1) to get some work done on the car just when it was overcast. It soon started raining and in 2 hours time, every approach road to South City - 2 had knee deep water.

Unfortunately, in Gurgaon, there is just no accountability for the civic authorities. Come to South City 2 and you'll find about a km. of road filled with just sewage (from County Nirvana). When they don't have brains to provide drainage for houses, rain water comes way too late.

The best thing to do when it rains in Gurgaon - stay at home, stick your hand outta the window to "feel" the rain and sit pretty watching TV.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 17:20   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The best thing to do when it rains in Gurgaon - stay at home, stick your hand outta the window to "feel" the rain and sit pretty watching TV.
Poor souls who have Tata Sky/DishTV/some other DTH can't even do that!
vineetmanghani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 17:37   #4
BHPian

Hero Honda Chowk is the biggest sore point of the entire Expressway - whether it rains or not. One should try navigating that stretch with a canoe when it rains.

Entire Gurgaon has serious waterlogging issues when it rains. Even areas like Golf Course road (supposed to be a posh areas) had more than 2 feet standing water yesterday. One of my friends crossed a 500m stretch on that road in more than 90 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Absolutely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetmanghani View Post
You said it
Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 18:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thank god I am on leave for past few days.

But this situation is definitely not acceptable if it happens with every other rainfall. They charge high toll IMO and this is what a commuter gets in return. Leave Gurgaon or NH8, any NCR resident would know what happens to Delhi's main artery road i.e. Ring road. Be it an underpass or a flyover condition is same at every place.

OT- I am calling Delhi jal board to fix a choked manhole near my house for last seven days and no one has yet come to see what the issue is. What you can expect from Gurgaon when condition is even severe in Delhi. No one is ready to listen in administration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetmanghani View Post
, Seriously mate, very well said!

Last edited by bluevolt : 29th June 2011 at 18:58.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 18:50   #6
BHPian

Thumbs down Re: Monsoon Blues : Delhi - Gurgaon Expressway flooded on 27/06/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
On Monday the 27th June, 2011, Delhi/NCR was hit by some moderate to heavy pre-monsoon showers. Inspite of the tall claims by the Municipality two drops from the heaven and it is chaos all around. Serpentine ques of vehicles, roads turned into small lakes, stranded & stalled vehicles and what not.........
What will happen once the skies open up fully..?

NCR and this is the situation, Mumbai, Bangalore will soon compete to make sure they are not left behind.

I would love to take a swing at our civic authorities, for their absolute lack of planning, by doing some bare essentials such as; banking roads so that water runs off into able sized drains. etc...

But I would love to take a swing at our manners as well !!! It is deplorable of us, to treat streets as a dumpyard. Even if we had European style drains I think this problem may not be solved.

If we keep dumping garbage into our drain holes imagine the state of our bathrooms in our houses. I think even small things such as cigg butts, small plastic tea cups, small plastic covers in sizeable numbers can plug drains.
vshetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 22:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

The problem is for those coming on NH8 from Jaipur towards Delhi or from north of Delhi towards Jaipur, they will be caught totally unawares. And alternatives like the Rewari-Panipat route are not great either. Looks like those going from West/ South India to Punjab/Kashmir side may be better off taking the Kishnagarh-Bhatinda-Amritsar route?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 12:03   #8
BHPian

I was reading somewhere that one of the prime reasons for waterlogging is that the garbage removed during de-silting operations is dumped right next to the drains itself. During the first heavy rainfall all of it ends back in the storm drains and voila! More waterlogging.
If this is true then we can only draw two conclusions - either the contractor carrying out the job is ....well.. not very smart or the concept of planned obsolescence comes in (read repeat contracts at fat prices with appropriate "chap-paani" allocations)
singhsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 12:28   #9
BHPian

>>>

Let us do a quick comparison between what happens when it rains ( torrential downpour) for say two hours ( I am not sure about the quantity of water but it must be in the 100 - 300 mm range; the 26th July 2005 cloudburst over Bombay gave us 950 mm rain, if memory serves me correctly) in say South Delhi/Gurgaon vis-avis New Delhi ( Lutyens' Delhi).

Some rain will stand for a limited amount of time before the drainage system drains the water away.

However, if Lutyens' Delhi is able to recover quickly and if South Delhi/Gurgaon isn't, it implies a thumbs up to the planners-engineers of a bygone era when people tried to solve problems in a straightforward manner without looking over one's shoulder for inputs from our political masters. This is when all things are equal, including population distribution & density, vehicle density and similar factors.

Bring on the old fashioned planning & work ethic; slogans on Shanghai as the ideal are not working.

Regards, drive (swim/boat?) safe
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 12:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshetty View Post
NCR and this is the situation, Mumbai, Bangalore will soon compete to make sure they are not left behind.

I would love to take a swing at our civic authorities, for their absolute lack of planning, by doing some bare essentials such as; banking roads so that water runs off into able sized drains. etc...

But I would love to take a swing at our manners as well !!! It is deplorable of us, to treat streets as a dumpyard. Even if we had European style drains I think this problem may not be solved.

If we keep dumping garbage into our drain holes imagine the state of our bathrooms in our houses. I think even small things such as cigg butts, small plastic tea cups, small plastic covers in sizeable numbers can plug drains.
wish it were so simple so as to keep the streets clean.not saying that we should not do this bit.

Unfortunately, there is no drainage system in gurgaon.
the authorities say there were a couple of nullahs to divert water away from the town, but one, the expressway is not connected to them, and two, they have already been inundated with filth and contruction(which are sometimes the same).
try this, fill up a sink with water, and throw some lego bricks on the drain, see how fast the sink empties.

What is even more deplorable is what this town started picking speed in what, '79?
the MCG() or whatever municipal body existed in that period, floated RFPs for end to end drainage systems LAST YEAR!!
wednedsay thursday friday??

basically, the authorities have been mooching away on the corporate influx for last 30 odd years.
So blind/incompetent that they did not understand that the swanky office complexes are being built of durable materials, and will be long lasting, requiring a basic level of service, for a similar period of time.

sickening!
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote