Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 15th January 2013, 14:29   #211
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
But surprisingly Western Express Highway was jammed packed right from Malad to Jogeshwari & beyond. According to my colleagues it was jammed till Airport fly-over. Anybody know the reason for this jam on Western Express Highway today?
There was a truck which had broken down on Vakola flyover causing a huge pile up of traffic! It was smooth sailing after that thankfully.

I have been avoiding the WEH in the morning since many years now. It takes me about 45 mins to 1 hr just to reach the WEH at Oberoi mall from my home in Malad.
Instead every morning i take the Link Road & then onto S.V.Road at Jogeshwari & then take the Andheri subway & emerge onto the WEH !
PPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 14:46   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
There was a truck which had broken down on Vakola flyover causing a huge pile up of traffic! Instead every morning i take the Link Road & then onto S.V.Road at Jogeshwari & then take the Andheri subway & emerge onto the WEH !
Hello PPS,

Yes in mornings the stretch from Times of India Flyover to Aarey Flyover is generally very slow moving. Similarly in evenings the stretch from Hub Mall to Dindoshi Flyover is dead slow for sure. Even on bike I take more than 30 minutes to reach JVLR Junction from my home at S.V.Road, Malad West. The main culprit is Aarey flyover & authorities have also accepted that this flyover has become useless within couple of years of construction (refer to my post # 59 in this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...traffic-4.html (Mumbai Traffic))

Regarding S.V.Road, one thing I have noted is once you cross Goregoan (Vijay Sales / City Mall), traffic is very free flowing till Andheri Subway. Infact next week I am scheduled to go to Malabar Hill Area in morning & I will definitely think of taking Link Road / S.V.Road till Andheri. Thank you for the information.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 15:02   #213
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Similarly in evenings the stretch from Hub Mall to Dindoshi Flyover is dead slow for sure.
In the past couple of days there has been light traffic after Hub Mall even at 6pm. As of today i will be leaving Fort at 6pm & most probably i will be reaching home at 9pm!

Quote:
Regarding S.V.Road, one thing I have noted is once you cross Goregoan (Vijay Sales / City Mall), traffic is very free flowing till Andheri Subway. Infact next week I am scheduled to go to Malabar Hill Area in morning & I will definitely think of taking Link Road / S.V.Road till Andheri. Thank you for the information.
About 2-3 days in a month in the mornings there is traffic at Malcolm Baug,Jogeshwari S.V. Road.
The general notion among people from what i have noticed is 'if its S.V.Road it has to be crowded so avoid it'. Maybe that's the reason light traffic could surprise you on certain days. I'm only talking about Malad-Goregaon belt & not beyond Andheri as i don't frequent that side much.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 18:06   #214
BHPian

Post Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Today morning on the Cadbury flyover in Thane, there was a mini jam. A truck had swerved on to the divider and hence blocked one lane going towards EE highway. Balance two lanes were jammed by the onlookers sitting in their vehicles. Drivers slowed down, commented, laughed and then proceeded. . Took 15 mins to cross the stretch which should have taken 2 minutes.
Seems to happen on an alarming regularity each morning (during rush hour) on the Santacruz flyover on the southbound side. Usually the errant entity is either a cab or a heavy vehicle that gets stalled or swervs on to the divider completely blocking off one lane in the process. Then all hell breaks loose as motorists try to squeeze into the remaining 2 lanes generally making the overall discipline collapse. You'll see drivers falling over each other to get into what they think is the "fast-moving" lane. Oftentimes a helpless cop is seen either arguing with the owner of the vehicle or trying his best to mitigate the traffic situation with enough and more onlookers getting their day's entertainment high out of the situation.

From then on, this pile-up builds steadily, and at times extends all the way to Vile Parle/Andheri. On bad days, I have taken up to an hour to get through such jams.
Omtoatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 23:20   #215
BHPian

Today the problem was coupled with a BEST bus which had broken down on Andheri flyover.

Had heard on the radio that the dumper on Vakola flyover had broken down since 5:00 in the morning. Am sure that if the authorities had swept into action quickly then the situation would have been very different. Unfortunately we just abuse them silently and don't do anything. Sad that cops will not waste a moment in catching motorists but will take ages to move a dumper. Such a criminal way of wasting precious fuel.

Don't know how many have noticed but there's a small board just before Vakola flyover which says heavy vehicles are not allowed. But who obeys and there's no one to get it implemented either. The only time I see cops stopping heavy vehicles on the flyover is during VIP visit. This shows that even they know that the problem exists but simply keep mum.

Sad.... Very sad situation in Mumbai.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 23:46   #216
BHPian

I agree completely with Maverick1977. I had crossed this broken down dumper on the Vakola flyover at 8 in the morning and the jam had just started to build up at that time due to this blocked lane. Just a kilometer ahead at the kalanagar signal, a posse of cops was posted at the signal and were engaged in manning and enforcing the signal. If they had taken timely action by sending in their tow truck then the situation could have been avoided. In fact a tow truck and driver should be positioned at every key flyover on the western express highway during the morning and evening rush hours. The government at least owes us this for all the taxes we pay.
Rajeev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 09:28   #217
Senior - BHPian

Today and Tomorrow will be jam packed at the JVLR junction on the WEH since there is a huge Chemical Expo at the NSE grounds.

But the good thing is that one lane has already been cemented and the left most one should be done ina couple of days. Then they have to be watered for a few days for the cement to set in correctly. My only issue is how good in quality is the work done since it is done in record time I think...
normally_crazy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 10:06   #218
Senior - BHPian

Planning to go through Juhu-Vikhroli Link Road from Vikhroli to Juhu tomorrow morning. (will hit JVLR at 8:30 am may be). Is the construction still going on - will there be problems?
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 11:37   #219
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Planning to go through Juhu-Vikhroli Link Road from Vikhroli to Juhu tomorrow morning. (will hit JVLR at 8:30 am may be). Is the construction still going on - will there be problems?
Here's the traffic pattern for JVLR Thursday mornings 8:30am.
Mumbai Traffic-jvlr-thu.png

Looks like except from the Gandhinagar Flyover till IIT-Powai gate, rest of the stretch should be moving decently well (Yellow/Orange).
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 11:42   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Sad that cops will not waste a moment in catching motorists but will take ages to move a dumper. Sad.... Very sad situation in Mumbai.
Hello Maverick1977,

Sad but this fact is true in Mumbai. Even I have seen Traffic police catching Two Wheelers riders for petty offences while at the same time public transport drivers (read Best Buses) break traffic rules with pride. Infact recently I saw a Best Driver who jumped a red signal openly challenging the person protesting to note down his number & file a complaint with Best Authorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
I had crossed this broken down dumper on the Vakola flyover at 8 in the morning and the jam had just started to build up at that time due to this blocked lane.
Hello Rajeev1,

Lucky you passed the stretch at 8 am. By 10:45 am the traffic had already piled up till Malad. It is really surprising to see just one broken down dumper causing 10 km traffic jam at peak office hours. As right said by you all that was need was to tow away the Dumper before peak hour traffic starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Hello Carboy,

At 8:30 am at Jogeshwari-Vikroli Link Road the traffic is normally free flowing especially of you are entering from Vikroli side. There will be normal traffic at signals, but shall not experience a major Traffic Jam.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 11:59   #221
Senior - BHPian

I dread even going towards JVLR. It anyway takes me around 30 mins from Link Road, Goregaon west till WE Highway. If I head towards JVLR, then it eats away a lot of time.
Because of this, I had started using aarey. Most people don't want to pay the 15 rupees toll so its pretty empty during afternoon time. Roads are better than before. People looking to cross over from western to central or vice versa should look at this route to save time.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 08:55   #222
Senior - BHPian

A Dumper has crashed into divider resulting in a massive wreck between Ghatkopar and Chembur turn on the EE highway. The truck has been cleared to one side, but clearing the oil spill has resulted in a jam early in the morning. No idea of casualties, but looked really bad with Police van and a Fire brigade on stand by.

How much do we tolerate??
Why dont these dumpers have speed governors?
Maverick5490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 09:08   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Maverick1977,

Hello Rajeev1,

Lucky you passed the stretch at 8 am. By 10:45 am the traffic had already piled up till Malad. It is really surprising to see just one broken down dumper causing 10 km traffic jam at peak office hours. As right said by you all that was need was to tow away the Dumper before peak hour traffic starts.

Thanks,
Again the same scenario today (17th January) morning. A truck had overturned just before the Vakola flyover. However the police have been active and i could see them clearing the wreck at 8:20 am. Hopefully the traffic - which was just starting to build up into a jam would be cleared before peak hour. Kudos to the Mumbai traffic police for acting in time.
Rajeev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 09:08   #224
BHPian

Experienced very heavy south bound traffic on W.E. Highway near Vakola flyover. A Tata winger or Ace had skidded on account of a tyre burst. This was just on the turn going towards Vakola (Santacruz) flyover. Nearly two lanes were blocked and the police using cranes were conducting salvage operations. Took nearly 20 min to pass the area from Airport to Santacruz flyover. This was at 7:50 in the morning today.
arup.misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 09:17   #225
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
A Dumper has crashed into divider resulting in a massive wreck between Ghatkopar and Chembur turn on the EE highway. Why dont these dumpers have speed governors?
I guess it was the case of rash driving which caused the accident. RTO has relelased an ultimatum that all trucks, dumpers, trailers and heavy vehicles should get the speed governors installed before the end of the February 28, 2013 deadline.

Attached is the circular issued by Maharashtra transport dept.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote