Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 12th July 2013, 19:22   #601
BHPian

Ohhhh, can it get worse than this for Thaneites? A similar looking dumper has broken down on the railway overbridge, exactly on the other side where there was breakdown in the morning. Fortunately for me, I passed the place before major traffic pile up.
sa_kiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 06:28   #602
BHPian

Wondering how the sion panvel road in navi mumbai is missed here. The road between LP junction, nerul and Uran junction belapur is in the worst condition or you could say almost non-existent. Roads in ladakh could be much better than here.

Its so frustrating to see this even after we pay a good amount of road toll tax. Guess all hope/trust is lost on the authorities.
rahulk2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 11:03   #603
BHPian

Has anyone been on the Elphinstone bridge lately? It's a contiguous crater with bits of minor pothole on the middle, held together with ₹5 worth of feviquick. Seriously, I remember them retarring this road only a few months ago. Thinking of filing an rti. Anyone know how to go about it?
djpeesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 11:20   #604
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulk2510 View Post
Wondering how the sion panvel road in navi mumbai is missed here. The road between LP junction, nerul and Uran junction belapur is in the worst condition or you could say almost non-existent. Roads in ladakh could be much better than here.

Its so frustrating to see this even after we pay a good amount of road toll tax. Guess all hope/trust is lost on the authorities.
Some patches are in terrible shape on the Sion Panvel Road. Just after the toll naka at Vashi, again after palm beach road where from 4 lanes in becomes 2 lanes due to construction. Not just potholes but loads of stones everywhere, and some of them were sharp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Has anyone been on the Elphinstone bridge lately? It's a contiguous crater with bits of minor pothole on the middle, held together with ₹5 worth of feviquick. Seriously, I remember them retarring this road only a few months ago. Thinking of filing an rti. Anyone know how to go about it?
Elphinstone hasn't been resurfaced in a long time, its in terrible shape. Hope something is done about it asap.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 19:04   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

Some patches are in terrible shape on the Sion Panvel Road. Just after the toll naka at Vashi, again after palm beach road where from 4 lanes in becomes 2 lanes due to construction. Not just potholes but loads of stones everywhere, and some of them were sharp.

Elphinstone hasn't been resurfaced in a long time, its in terrible shape. Hope something is done about it asap.
The trouble is that in Bombay, people in the bmc can get away with platitudes. So instead of fixing up roads and pining accountability on people responsible for their failure, they argue about Bal Thackeray theme parks and renaming Malabar Hill, apart from the continued promise of a Shivaji statue in the sea.

Just drove from pedder road to the airport and was shocked to see the daylight robbery in the garb of road repair.

Until the people demand answers, nothing will change apart from the roads becoming crappier and crappier every year. It's a shame that all the money in the world can't build one decent road. Why can't a road be built to the same standards as say palm Beach road?

On a side note, since the bmc can't tackle potholes, they should consider naming them. It'll keep the janta happy and there will be such an abundance that everyone and his pet cat will have one named after them.
djpeesh is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 19:17   #606
BHPian

Anybody travelled to Pune lately ?? The great Panvel road has been completely messed up with major portion taken for concretization and the remaining small patch potholed with so many craters that you can call it a pothole stretch rather than a highway stretch. Don't know which great personality thought of taking up the concretization of such a long stretch in a single go and that too so near the monsoons. It takes at least one & half hours to reach start of the Pune E-way now from Thane. Not to mention if you happen to be back on the same stretch around 6 pm to 10 pm while coming back, it'll take you ages to come out of those traffic snarls.
yogibear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 09:33   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibear007 View Post
Anybody travelled to Pune lately ?? The great Panvel road has been completely messed up with major portion taken for concretization and the remaining small patch potholed with so many craters that you can call it a pothole stretch rather than a highway stretch. Don't know which great personality thought of taking up the concretization of such a long stretch in a single go and that too so near the monsoons. It takes at least one & half hours to reach start of the Pune E-way now from Thane. Not to mention if you happen to be back on the same stretch around 6 pm to 10 pm while coming back, it'll take you ages to come out of those traffic snarls.
Traveling from Expressway end towards Vashi is a nightmare. That is worst planned road work I have ever seen. It is better to take JNPT road from Kalamboli and join the Palm Beach road.
Dodge_Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 10:46   #608
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Traveling from Expressway end towards Vashi is a nightmare. That is worst planned road work I have ever seen. It is better to take JNPT road from Kalamboli and join the Palm Beach road.
How is the condition of the JNPT road, and then the Uran road till Palm beach? I suppose there aren't any huge potholes or stones all over the place?
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 10:50   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
How is the condition of the JNPT road, and then the Uran road till Palm beach? I suppose there aren't any huge potholes or stones all over the place?
It is much better. Atleast there are no potholes. Only thing is once you take the right from Panvel-JNPT road and go towards Palm Beach, there are those godzilla size speedbreakers and rumblers. Sedans with low ground clearance might face some problems. Rest it's ok if negotiated properly.
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 14:42   #610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibear007 View Post
I did travel to Pune last month and to Lonavala - Kamshet over the weekend. There is no road at all near Panvel. I left early to avoid the traffic pileup. Its an absolute mess. Sedans will definitely hit the underbody while navigating these craters.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 22:47   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post

I did travel to Pune last month and to Lonavala - Kamshet over the weekend. There is no road at all near Panvel. I left early to avoid the traffic pileup. Its an absolute mess. Sedans will definitely hit the underbody while navigating these craters.
Be careful on NH 4A (Panvel Uran) road. Saw a head on collision between an Alto and a truck when the Alto decided to drive into traffic rather than wait in traffic. Luckily the guy got away by his whiskers as the truck that hit him was driving slowly.

Also, at the turn towards Bombay, be careful. It's unpaved and you can bust your oil sump if you aren't careful. I did many moons ago when the zen was what everyone drove (as did i). The road looks even more pathetic these days so don't say no one warned you.

And finally, those speed hills will scrape your underbody unless you go pretty slowly but not so slow that you get stuck as some rockstars have managed to do.
djpeesh is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 14:53   #612
Senior - BHPian

Aarey Update I guess i am the only one who uses the road for daily commute.

The craters were being filled with stones over the weekend. Not sure if these will be filled with Tar or whether its just a stop gap arrangement.

They think stones are better to fill up the craters and these same stones go flying in every angle after vehicles go over them.

God bless our authorities with some good quality brains.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 09:45   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Went to Pune again yesterday. Seems some patching work has been done on the Panvel stretch. Yesterday, it was 'relatively' smooth while going towards Pune. Also, while coming back, a small strip of around 350 meters of new concrete road has been thrown open just before the Nerul flyover if you are coming towards Mumbai. But the rest of the road is as earlier, horrible.
Old 17th July 2013, 14:22   #614
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai Motorists beware of Paver Blocks that temporarily fill pot holes:
Source: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/newrep...te=1&p=3180819

As Government firms cannot afford new technology and materials to fix potholes they are filling the pot holes with paver blocks. Engineering experts believe that this is just a temporary solution & paver blocks will come off in two / three days.

A quote from above article:
An independent expert who works closely with the government said, "Paver blocks are a makeshift arrangement during heavy showers. Only if the repair team maintains them every other day, can this temporary arrangement work. If they come loose, mishaps are likely; they are even more dangerous for bikers." The one benefit, he said, is that paver blocks help stop a pothole from widening.
Unquote.

Strange it seems are ways of authorities in this Country. Just because they cannot afford new technology, pot holes are filled with paver blocks, leaving roads more dangerous to morotists & bikers.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 10:54   #615
BHPian

Everybody knows the paver blocks will come off in a few days from the pot holes. In fact carefully done paver blocking with long term intentions also acquire wavy structure of it's own in a few days time when they are thrown open to the traffic. Recent example is paver blocks done at Suman nagar square in front of RCF office on eastern express way. I guess the inclination towards paver block technology is that it allows very good and consistent opportunities of siphoning money doing such work. There are very good technologies available but then, they will offer long term solutions and year on year jobs will vanish for the contractors and off course the concerned BMC employees.