Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 22nd July 2013, 16:16   #631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
PS: I think it is hightime for Western Express Highway's name changing ceremony. I feel somehow the words "Express" & "Highway" does not suit given the road & traffic condition.
I think "western mail highway" is a more apt name. Sort of in the lines of express and mail trains.
Or,
"Why am I called a highway?"

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 14:21   #632
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai Traffic

Hello All,

Just travelled from Malad West to SEEPZ & it is really raining hard. Traffic on Western Express Highway is free flowing while on JVLR it is slow moving on both sides.

As high tide is scheduled from 12:30 pm today, it seems flooding in most low lying areas is definite possibility. Friends please plan your return travel time & route accodingly. I will not suggest car / bike owners to leave offices early, but please make a prudent decision. It is definitely better to remain in comforts of office rather than getting struck on roads / floods.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 14:26   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello All,

Just travelled from Malad West to SEEPZ & it is really raining hard. Traffic on Western Express Highway is free flowing while on JVLR it is slow moving on both sides.
Thanks for the info Jignesh. On eastern side also, there is the usual flooding at Kings circle. Hopefully the flooding is subsided by now. The heavy rains have stopped in these parts now.

Last edited by mobike008 : 23rd July 2013 at 16:14. Reason: Please avoid quote entire posts. Thanks
yogibear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 15:34   #634
Senior - BHPian

Aarey Road has a river crossing now . Go check it out if you dont believe it. Just after you cross the Picnic Spot and head towards Powai you will find it there. Water gushing across from one side of the road to the other. I missed clicking a pic.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 18:12   #635
BHPian

For those traveling to Eastern suburbs via Gandhi Nagar - there is an accident a little before the Gandhi Nagar flyover. This will cause a bottleneck, as this takes up almost a lane.

Name:  image2472174388.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  487.2 KB

Fortunately, policemen were at the scene, may have managed to tow away the tempo.
sa_kiran is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 18:26   #636
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
For those traveling to Eastern suburbs via Gandhi Nagar - there is an accident a little before the Gandhi Nagar flyover. This will cause a bottleneck, as this takes up almost a lane.

Attachment 1115633

Fortunately, policemen were at the scene, may have managed to tow away the tempo.
Saw the same when I travelled back early today ~5:15pm.

Its not going to be easy to get this mess sorted. The tempo is stuck on the divider. Would most likely need a crane. That section of the road hardly ever has a jam, so should be OK I guess. My worry is somebody zooming from the IIT main gate signal and realizing this obstacle very late.

Last edited by SDP : 23rd July 2013 at 18:28.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 09:47   #637
Senior - BHPian

Massive Heavy Vehicle traffic from Korum Flyover in Thane upto Airoli. Heard that there has been a landslide at Mumbra and as a result all the truck traffic is diverted to Airoli via Thane, fortunately had a colleague travelling ahead of me who warned me in time and took the internal roads for LBS and came out via Kanjurmarg for the EE highway.

Looks like the WE Highway bug has hit the EE Highway as well.
Maverick5490 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 09:54   #638
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Massive Heavy Vehicle traffic from Korum Flyover in Thane upto Airoli. Heard that there has been a landslide at Mumbra and as a result all the truck traffic is diverted to Airoli via Thane, fortunately had a colleague travelling ahead of me who warned me in time and took the internal roads for LBS and came out via Kanjurmarg for the EE highway.

Looks like the WE Highway bug has hit the EE Highway as well.
There is indeed unusally high truck traffic on Eastern Express highway right from morning. Did not understand the reason then. If the Mumbra landslide news is true, it makes sense. Thanks for the information.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 10:56   #639
BHPian

Why is it that travelling from Inorbit Mall to JVLR junction in the morning and back in the evening is such a pain everyday (~30-45 minutes), but a breeze when its pouring cats and dogs. Took only 25 min yesterday evening at 6 pm, and 25 min today morning at 9.45 am. Not that I am complaining one bit (and i can see traffic build up on WEH now!)

By the way, the only thing that gave me confidence to get the car out today was Traffline showing 25-30 minute commute. Any other day looking at the rain and the prospect of traffic at a standstill would not have given me the courage to do so I am becoming a big fan of this app everyday!

On another topic, does anyone have first hand experience with the pot hole website, where BMC is supposed to respond to each and every complaint? Some of the internal roads in Malad have only potholes now and no road.
BertieWoosert is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 11:04   #640
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

I travelled from Malad West to SEEPZ sometime back & noted the following:

1. Malad subway was absolutely fine with very little water logging. Hats off to BMC for this because right since my childhood days, I have seen Malad subway flooded with water after couple of hours of rains.

2. Smooth traffic on Western Express Highway till start of JVLR flyover. Also traffic on JVLR is surprisingly smooth.

3. At most of the busy junctions, traffic police attendents are present regulating the traffic. Once again hats off to authorities for this arrangements.

Couple of updates over Traffic on Eastern Express Highway:
1. Due to VIP movement, truck traffic on Ghodbunder road was held back betweem 6 am to 7 am, which is now released.
2. Due to road damage at Mumbra bypass, trucks are passing through Eastern Express Highway to reach Airoli.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 11:36   #641
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Mumbai Traffic

I was stuck in the traffic jam after the Korum Mall for about 40 mins at 7 am in the morning. Huge truck traffic. Somehow wriggled back to the service road and returned back home. So its working from home today (didnt have any major meeting in office either).

I could have made my way to the office, but the evening trip back to Thane prompted me to give the office a skip today. Since there are heavy rains expected in the afternoon-evening period, those who made it to office need to make the plans before time.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 12:10   #642
BHPian

Came across what I hope I or any other person should never have to witness.

Going to work, I encountered heavy truck traffic starting from Thane Check Naka, going towards Thane. Having had a glance at this thread in the morning, I knew the situation due to the Mumbra landslide and settled down for a slow commute. While climbing the Teen Hath Naka flyover, I see a couple of cops standing by, some on the phone. A little ahead, a mangled up bike and just behind it, a body, face covered by a cloth, and stained red. One person, apparently the other person on the bike, was hitting the bike ( considering it the bike's fault ) and a couple of guys trying to restrain him. I still get shivers remembering that scene.

For all my biker buddies, slippery roads and two less rubber patches for grip makes two wheelers very unsafe in the monsoons. Please put a helmet on, and request your passenger to do so as well. For all my four wheeled buddies, please give the two wheelers an extra wide berth in the monsoons.

Going ahead a bit, there was a truck accident on the Korum flyover as well. Front of the truck damaged, looked like either a head on accident or the truck couldn't stop in time and rammed something in front of it. Didn't really want to stop and click any photos.

Drive Safe.
SuperBee.
SuperBee is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 12:43   #643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
A little ahead, a mangled up bike and just behind it, a body, face covered by a cloth, and stained red. For all my biker buddies, slippery roads and two less rubber patches for grip makes two wheelers very unsafe in the monsoons.
Hello Superbee,

Just got a update from another forum, the biker your saw is dead - confirmed.
Your advise to bikers is very true, but most of the time, I see bikers riding very dangerously. They cut lanes without checking the vehicles on either sides.

For me luckily there is an infection in my toenail & I have to travel by car during these days of heavy rains. But being a biker myself, frankly speaking once you get used to bikes in Mumbai, it is very difficult to upgrade to Car. I myself have both a bike & car & on normal days (days without rains) I will definitely prefer bike over car due to traffic situation.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 14:55   #644
Senior - BHPian

[quote=BertieWoosert;3187706]
By the way, the only thing that gave me confidence to get the car out today was Traffline showing 25-30 minute commute. Any other day looking at the rain and the prospect of traffic at a standstill would not have given me the courage to do so I am becoming a big fan of this app everyday!
quote]

What app is that. How does it help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
Came across what I hope I or any other person should never have to witness.

For all my biker buddies, slippery roads and two less rubber patches for grip makes two wheelers very unsafe in the monsoons. Please put a helmet on, and request your passenger to do so as well. For all my four wheeled buddies, please give the two wheelers an extra wide berth in the monsoons.
Drive Safe.
SuperBee.
I leave the left most part of the road for bikers and always try to anticipate their move because one slight touch will send them flying and god knows what all will get broken. However bikers in general are a least bothered lot. No Helmets, One hand riding with the other holding the phone and also tucking the phone inside the helmet while riding, all these never help.

One big advise for bikers. Do Not try to wriggle out your phones while riding to check. If you want to, then please stop at the leftmost side and then check and then resume your travel.

I never bother picking up the phone while driving. Not worth it.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 15:03   #645
BHPian

Desmosedici - Traffline is a website as well as a smartphone app (available for free ), which shows the current traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. It is similar to Google maps traffic, but on a number of occasions, I have found traffline to be far more accurate than Google Maps. Only very rarely, the actual travel time has been different from the Traffline estimate by more than 10% margin.

Today morning, looking at the dark skies, pouring rains (~ 8 am), and the rain-related news on TV, felt like it was going to be another 1-1.5 hour crawl to the office. But checked Traffline an hour later, 25-30 minutes was the estimate, and so felt bold enough to venture out with the car. For the record, the actual time taken was 24 minutes.
BertieWoosert is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote