Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2013, 10:37   #751
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I watched a family grow up, have kids and the kids becoming adults all the while waiting for the horrendous traffic to clear.
That is the fact mate.

To share my experience, I have resided all my life at S.V.Road, Malad West & the traffic situation at couple of junctions near my home remains the same since last 25 years.

While I was in school in 3rd standard sometime in 1984 / 1985 there used to be traffic jams & water logging at Mavre Road junction & Malad Subway. Exactly similar situation continues at the same places in monsoons even today when my daughter who in now in school in 1st standard.

The point I am trying to make is, the traffic situation is just not improving but getting worse day by day. I understand that there has been huge population growth, but same is the fact in every other country. But I do not see bad roads or dying public transport system in cities in developed countries.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2013, 18:33   #752
BHPian

Hormazd blasts Mumbai roads - https://twitter.com/hormazdsorabjee/...85234291478528

Mumbai Traffic-image3823802787.jpg
sa_kiran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 11:13   #753
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this new way of travelling in Chembur today morning at 7.30 am.

Mumbai Traffic-img_0271.jpg

Mumbai Traffic-img_0272.jpg

Last edited by amit : 17th August 2013 at 11:20.
amit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 12:00   #754
BHPian

Have come 'home' for the weekend

Surprisingly did not experience any crazy traffic as yet

Will go on the eastern express freeway today

Other plans include going to andheri/malad

Here's hoping a traffic free travel (fingers crossed)
Old 17th August 2013, 12:10   #755
Senior - BHPian

Thank god that we have Ganapati festival coming next month. So for 10 odd days, we can assume that the roads would be levelled and smoothened. If not for Ganapati festival, I doubt anyone would care for we tax payers.

I don't want to get flamed but, we care so much for our deities and gods but not so much for his servants (we)?
Old 17th August 2013, 12:54   #756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Spotted this new way of travelling in Chembur today morning at 7.30 am.

Attachment 1126012

Attachment 1126016
Sorry to say, but that's the sad state of these garbage dumpers atleast here in Mumbai. They regularly travel in this way. Reason, they need to pick up garbage and need to get down every 100mts to load it into the dumper. I have seen this very regularly, but that is only at city speeds of 10-20 kmph max. At highway speeds, disaster waiting to happen.
Old 17th August 2013, 13:03   #757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Sorry to say, but that's the sad state of these garbage dumpers atleast here in Mumbai. They regularly travel in this way. Reason, they need to pick up garbage and need to get down every 100mts to load it into the dumper. I have seen this very regularly, but that is only at city speeds of 10-20 kmph max. At highway speeds, disaster waiting to happen.
Agree with you on this. Not to mention, the ill effects of the stink that must be affecting their health. I seriously hope that our civic sense improves so that instead of throwing dump outside of bins, it is thrown inside. I havent seen anyone throwing any garbage on streets in Powai. Why can the same model be replicated? I know Hiranandani maintains the roads and utilities there but the same model can be replicated across societies and effective mechanisms can be made.

I know this is OT but when we are struck in traffic, the last thing that I want is a chicken or garbage truck next to me. We hope for a damsel and we get a dumper
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 13:15   #758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Thank god that we have Ganapati festival coming next month. So for 10 odd days, we can assume that the roads would be levelled and smoothened. If not for Ganapati festival, I doubt anyone would care for we tax payers.

I don't want to get flamed but, we care so much for our deities and gods but not so much for his servants (we)?
Absolutely right ! And another reason for road contractors and politicians to mint money thru new contracts for emergency road repairs !!!! Every year we go through the same rigmarole. Again and again and again. Its the votes that matter to them. Not yours or mine. The ryots. masses.
Old 17th August 2013, 13:17   #759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Sorry to say, but that's the sad state of these garbage dumpers atleast here in Mumbai. They regularly travel in this way. Reason, they need to pick up garbage and need to get down every 100mts to load it into the dumper.
I was following that truck for almost 2 kms and didn't see him stopping anywhere. Besides, that guy is pretty well dressed for someone who is going to get off and collect garbage. I guess the municipality is paying their staff really well!
Old 17th August 2013, 16:12   #760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I was following that truck for almost 2 kms and didn't see him stopping anywhere. Besides, that guy is pretty well dressed for someone who is going to get off and collect garbage. I guess the municipality is paying their staff really well!
From what I know, these guys are reasonably paid for their skills (or lack of it). From what i have heard, highest number of bribes are paid to get a job as a cleaner in BMC.
Old 19th August 2013, 14:44   #761
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday night, going towards Bandra from Goregaon, i experienced a bad traffic jam at 10:30PM. From Andheri Flyover on WEH till Domestic Airport, it was bumper to bumper traffic. Reason - some work being done before the airport.

Just when i thought i could avoid traffic and have a nice night drive, this happens.
Old 19th August 2013, 15:00   #762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Yesterday night, going towards Bandra from Goregaon, i experienced a bad traffic jam at 10:30PM. From Andheri Flyover on WEH till Domestic Airport, it was bumper to bumper traffic. Reason - some work being done before the airport.

Just when i thought i could avoid traffic and have a nice night drive, this happens.
The traffic in that area is always there. I was returning north via WEH at the very same time and did see a huge lineup on the opposite side.

While going south, the WEH was jammed all the way after JVLR flyover till the spot you mentioned. I was surprised to see the reason of the jam:
A couple of policemen standing in the middle of the highway and stopping the traffic. When I reached the end of the Andheri flyover, a couple of cars before me, I see a man in white traffic police uniform standing in the middle of the road and blocking the traffic over the bridge while the cars under the flyover zipping past by. We waited for the whole 20 minutes before we see a scorpio with red lights above it zip past and a couple of cars following it. Such a stupid reason to have the traffic standstill for 2 kms. This was the scene at around 5:00PM in the evening when I had expected a smooth drive over the WEH. Took 45 minutes to cross Andheri flyover yesterday.
Old 19th August 2013, 15:44   #763
BHPian

Mumbai traffic situation is really pathetic these days. And even on Sundays the authorities make it difficult for us to drive peacefully.
However I had had a drive around town yesterday in the night (left from Goregaon at 8.30 and came back from SoBo side at around 12.00). Fortunately at that time there were no road works going on, so had a nice ride.
Old 20th August 2013, 08:59   #764
BHPian

The dreaded trucks are back on the Thane-Belapur-Airoli bridge-Thane stretch. Last evening it took me a good 45 mins to pass through Airoli bridge and reach the flyover on EEH. Coupled with a really bad patch of road near the Octroi naka just after the toll booth, it made life miserable for motorists. That said there was a decorum most of the way making the overall experience less harrowing than what it could have been, given the stream of trucks and other vehicles all through the stretch!
Old 20th August 2013, 15:26   #765
Senior - BHPian

Its been a couple of weeks, me and my car needed some massage so we headed out via the Aarey Road . For 15 bucks it is real value for money.

On a serious note, continue avoiding Aarey Road. No effort seen to fill up the craters.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks