Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 3rd August 2011, 15:50   #16
BHPian

Default Re: When are we going to learn lane driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@Suess

i think the trouble starts even before that.

- first some decent guys uses the right most lane and positions his car to take the right turn
- Pea sized brain or brainless guy scowls at standing behind the guy in the right most lane and decides to use the second lane from the right and positions his car in front of the first car.
- Now slowly traffic starts building up in the last two lanes.
- Third moron feels why the heck he should wait for these two lanes to move and uses the third lane, slowly moves to the front of this waiting traffic and cuts them and parks them
- Other morons following our third guys just start blocking the third lane as well.

Personally its always the Auto walla or the cab drivers who create these new righ turn lanes everytime. Wish we could just throw them to the last with some tele power.
yes, these self made right/left turn lanes are norm here.(even if you are on single lane they make 2 or more lanes for going right/left). In Germany, one can see dust on lane markings before crossing and on the areas you are no supposed to cross(zig-zag lines) because no one even think to cross them and stay in their lane even if it is wrong one you ahve choosen, you will get the chance to make it right after crossing or you ahve to take u-turn where it is possible.
i think Traffic Police should book these guys who are in wrong lanes or creating lanes at their whim, instead of wasting money on advertising for lane driving with some super stars! Because people think these advertisements as part of their entertainment.

Last edited by Suess : 3rd August 2011 at 15:51.
Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:59   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
One lame reason given by the MTC drivers for using the left most lane is, to let people get down right at the corner, as a lot of people take the bus to reach Tiruvanmiyur MRTS station.
i guess MRTS Thiruvanmiyur is on left after you have made right trun from OMR. or isn't?

This "stoping/parking on corner"(for whatever reason) is also my biggest concern while driving on roads. you make left turn and you have to slammed on brakes because some cool guy is just chilling out there on the corner, droping Sir/Ma'am, picking Sir/ma'am, taking to someone, or just asking the way which he just realised was wrong after taking the trun.

Last edited by Suess : 3rd August 2011 at 16:04.
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suess View Post
i guess MRTS Thiruvanmiyur is on left after you have made right trun from OMR. or isn't?
Yes, it is. That junction is one of the worst for pedestrians and motorists alike. For pedestrians, there isn't a single usable interval when any of the roads can be crossed comfortably (read, without having to run for your dear life - risking getting hit by the imbecile two-wheelers who shoot off the signal even when the signal is red). And for motorists, there are quite a few suididal, educated nincompoops that jump across the median instead of using the foot over-bridge that leads directly to the MRTS station platform.

Quote:
This "stoping/parking on corner"(for whatever reason) is also my biggest concern while driving on roads. you make left turn and you have to slammed on brakes because soem cool guy is just chilling out there on the corner, droping Sir/Ma'am, picking Sir/ma'am, taking to someone, or just asking the way which he just realised was wrong after taking the trun.
Oh, and you will obviously find a 3-wheeled rattletrap coming in the wrong direction at break-neck speed, or a real-life dhanush/simbu/vijay/whatever-whoever-nutcase on two wheels, without a helmet and having tweetronic earphones plugged deep into the ear canals, and no headlights
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post
That signal has the worst traffic violations known to humanity.
Agree wholeheartedly. I was on extreme left lane on this signal wanting to go straight and was waiting for signal to turn green (could have used the service lane to bye-pass the signal and go join after TIDEL park but did not want to like other cabbies). A share auto comes on my left, squeezes himself between me and a barricade. As the signal turns greens, drives straight in my path as he wants to take a right turn
Then the scornful look from passengers inside his auto as if I was the one breaking the rule and was saved by the their auto driving hero completes the picture of the most violated traffic signal in South Chennai.
DWind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:52   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Agree wholeheartedly...(could have used the service lane to bye-pass the signal and go join after TIDEL park but did not want to like other cabbies). A share auto..
that's the thing these guys e.g. cabs, bikes, auto, and some so called white collar guys are doing to bypass signal. then they are in so much hurry to mearge on main road again and they do that without looking right as if it's their birth right and we are stupid as we were waiting on traffic light and driving in civialized way. i need a truck...dumping will be good!

Last edited by Suess : 3rd August 2011 at 17:04.
Old 3rd August 2011, 17:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
civialized way. i need a truck...dumping will be good!
Civilizied and dumping doesnt go well. So lets stick to civilized and be patient. As i said if we end up getting a beamer or a merc its our headache to be careful.

Only good way to atleast throw some fear is get an SUV, mount those huge crash bars, have two hella lights on the bumber, some strong horns and fearless mind to show them we dont bulge .

On action we just amble across them as they give space for us
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:03   #22
BHPian

I guess the answer to the title question is "We know lane driving. What we need are lanes". Seriously though. We need
1. Proper lane markings.
2. Road with same number of lanes for a reasonable distance. How many times have we see encroachments causing a sudden drop in number of lanes, leading to bottlenecks?
3. Hard separators separating right turn lanes at signals.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suess View Post
2-3 days ago, I had the opportunity to click a pic which tells about It was on the TIDEL Park crossing on OMR going towards Chennai, here you can take right towards ECR or make an u-turn. Always all the HMV by default steering extreme left to take a right n other vehicles even bikes follow the example like this Alto. He was in left most lane n then came cutting me in middle lane to go right!
Look again. The Alto is sporting TBhp stickers. Who is this TBhpian cutting across another team mate.

Last edited by rajeev k : 3rd August 2011 at 18:12.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:15   #24
BHPian

Nice thread. I have to cross this junction every day as well and have been annoyed no end by this lane crossing pain.

I hope the flyover at this junction (mentioned many times) comes up soon.
sjcherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:19   #25
BHPian

Also, in the signal just after this signal (towards Sholinganallur), there are a mad set of people (bikes, autos, shares and the occasional cars) who are hell bent on coming up the wrong side and getting on to the Lattice Bridge. And the police man posted there turns a blind eye to this. This leads to such confusion in the mornings, what with the MTC bus stop also put up near the same place (Why is there a bus stop so near to a signal?)

If we get stuck in front of them, we are looked on as if we were the one who are on the wrong side . 4,6,8 lanes are not going to help us ever until this mentaility is present

Rant Ends.
arvind71181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I forgot to mention the MEPZ signal. Till date i fear this signal and i always wish i follow someone when i am crossing this signal. Absolutely mismanaged signal/bustand and auto stand lately for those stupid share autos. Can someone knowing flash build me a game with mepz signal where i can shoot share autos?

Unless we have self discipline the lane discipline will never come into picture. If our mindset is such that, if fined i will follow rules, we will never change anything in this country.

As an individual if we follow the rules the rest will follow. I still hear honks everyday when i never move my car till i see a green light. I know they may cuss, they may fuss, but i know they cant do anything but wait till i move my car. Once everybody start doing it, the lane discipline comes into picture

Regarding penalty and fines, that system will work only when you know majority are sane and very few are insane. In this country majority are insane and have their own rules. So penalty rule will never work.

Cliche but true, be the change
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 19:32   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Cliche but true, be the change
It comes down to this and I totally agree.

My thoughts..
Everyone (ok, almost everyone) is the same. Be it an illiterate auto driver, king-of-the-road cab driver, highly educated white collar workers: no one has road discipline (including me, till 2 months back).

We neither have proper roads nor drivers. How many of you guys don't overtake from left? Or how many of you really check whether your brake lights are working? (most of the two wheelers I see don't even bother about headlights, let alone brake lights) If you say yes, for you. Not just overtaking from the left; using horn only when you need to, using low beams in city and the list goes.

I used to take my bike to my office daily and for the past two months I am not over taking anyone from the left side. I was a hypocrite; I take on all the cars from the left and I crib when someone does the same to me. But I'm not one anymore. First you'll feel bad when you see every other guy zooming past you whilst you wait for the guy before you to leave some space. But once you do that regularly you'll start appreciating it.

Also, instigate driving discipline to your kids (you ought to be disciplined, first). Never do things for which you'll feel bad, had that been done to you. Especially in front of your kids.

Next, comes our Government. No parking facilities, no wider roads, no proper exits/entries from/to highways, unmarked speed bumps, etc. But, the Govt. allows people to buy cars (30000 Altos a month, without any improvement on the road conditions/infrastructure). Whenever traffic worsens, they just erect a flyover (not to mention the crores they eat). Unless and until the Govt. do something about this, whatever we do to improve our driving habits it will be just like crying over spilt milk.

You can't turn things overnight; it will take time (maybe ages). But if each and everyone starts following some basic driving etiquette, I'm sure there won't be a need for this thread.
hdnivara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 01:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Look again. The Alto is sporting TBhp stickers. Who is this TBhpian cutting across another team mate.
I was just going to make that comment, but you beat me to it!

I agree its a real nuisance when rickshaws and buses go in the left most lane and turn right thereby blocking everybody. Even on roads where markings exist hardly anyone follows them. Today, I was driving on an open stretch of road on the highway and there was an S-class who was driving in between two lanes. He prevented cars in both lanes from overtaking him (by the way he was doing 40kmph). When the guy to my right honked at him for long and tried to overtake him, the S-class driver tried to push him into the dividers. As a result that guy had to jam his brakes. Seeing the attitude of the S-class driver, I decided to just follow him cooly rather than "challenge" him.

Later in the day, as I was waiting at a signal in the second left lane to go straight (there was no left turn) a bus comes extreme left and nearly ripped off my ORVM had I not folded it in immediately. And guess what? He proceeded to take a U-turn!!

I think in order to solve these issues, the guys at the RTO's should be trained themselves first about all the rules and then check that the driver follows all the rules before issuing a license. The problem is that too many licenses are being issued without most of them knowing absolutely any rules.
carfreak77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 09:30   #29
BHPian

Even more than the problem of badly marked roads or too many vehicles, I feel this is a problem of our mentality (as others have pointed out before).

As if it was not bad enough that there are a million cars on roads that were never designed to handle that traffic, all of us are short tempered and totally contemptuous of other people's right and our duties.

Nothing much can be done at this point except that don't lose your cool when you see something like this - follow the correct rules yourself and hope that the guy in front/back of you will do the same
singhsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 10:26   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

This signal looks like the Nagwara signal on ORR here in Bangalore. Coming from KR Puram side, you will find 6 lanes of vehicles on this road, with 5.5 lanes wanting to turn right. The .5 means that half the vehicles in the leftmost lane want to turn right. And there are also some poor souls unfamiliar with the signal who are in the second lane from left, wanting to go straight but are stuck behind people wanting to go right.
And then there are the trucks conveniently stuck in right most lane, wanting to go straight.
And that is not it. Immediately after the right on the intersection, people going to Manyata Tech Park want to take left onto the service lane and clash with people who want to go straightafter turning right. Are you confused yet? Come to this intersection, where everyone is confused.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote