Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 4th August 2011, 10:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: When are we going to learn lane driving?

I am surprised that there was no mention of the Tbhp sticker till the 2nd page of the thread. I have mentioned this earlier and would not mind mentioning again we are creating a whole generation of people who are learning to drive without road sense irrespective of their upbringing. I dread the day when the next generation starts learning from the driving of the current generation, I hope to retire peacefully before that day dawns.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 11:55   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
I am surprised that there was no mention of the Tbhp sticker till the 2nd page of the thread....
i took that picture when i noticed those stickers (i think they come in set of 5, that Alto has all 5 of them sticked around, i guess, 3 you can see clearly), though i face these lane-insane people everyday twice. BUT, it is just to grab your attention and accentuate the point, we can never be sure if the guy driving the car is really on team-bhp. until unless he comes forward and tell us why he did/do that!

Last edited by Suess : 4th August 2011 at 11:58.
Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 11:57   #33
Senior - BHPian

Its the problem with self discipline.
Or rather the lack of it in public.

And being the herd animals we are - we tend get into any activity that someone starts.
Traffic conditions are never going to improve in India - because the only corrective action / hope - Traffic police is also from the same base population - lacking in self discipline.
alpha1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 12:06   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnivara View Post
It comes down to this and I totally agree.

My thoughts..
Everyone (ok, almost everyone) is the same. Be it an illiterate auto driver, king-of-the-road cab driver, highly educated white collar workers: no one has road discipline (including me, till 2 months back).
i really appreciate your honesty and honest opinion. you pretty much sum up what we as an individual should be doing. if we just follow lane discipline, life would be much safer and saner on our roads.

in words of Micheal J.Fox
"Discipline is just doing the same thing the right way whether anyone’s watching or not."
Old 4th August 2011, 13:16   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Another junction where buses create a similar bottleneck for other road-users is the place where the Kotturpuram road joins Sardar Patel road. Buses coming from Kotturpuram side and which need to take a right at this signal towards RajBahavan, will stay on the left-most lane, blocking those who want to go left. And I am pretty sure a bus can take that right by being on the lane adjacent to the median - no need to be even on middle lane. Sometimes I feel like stopping the car, getting on the bus and socking the driver.

BTW, though I have been using this road for 15+ years now, I never understood the correct procedure to follow at this left-turn. It is not a free-left (because there is no board indicating so), but most people treat it as a free-left. There is a signal which occasionally shows a blinking green-left, which is when we should be taking the left. But try stopping there when the green is not blinking for left-turn and you would have all the crowd honking you down. So currently, I take the turn by checking for pedestrians, vehicles from the left and the U-turn folks.

P.S.: BTW, the flyover at this junction would take the cake for being the most pointless of all flyovers in Chennai. The rest are also mostly useless (except the decades old Gemini flyover), but this one takes the cake - it does not even allow straight 2-way traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider
We need
1. Proper lane markings.
2. Road with same number of lanes for a reasonable distance. How many times have we see encroachments causing a sudden drop in number of lanes, leading to bottlenecks?
3. Hard separators separating right turn lanes at signals.
Yeah, while we drive badly, there is a lot that needs to be done on the road-infrastructure front. With most roads not having lanes marked, it is pointless to say people dont follow lanes. With footpaths occupied by shops, pedestrians spill out on the roads, causing motorists to swerve into other's paths - whom to blame. Unmarked speedbreakers pop-up suddenly causing cars to brake suddenly and the biker behind to rest on the car's boot. The list can go on...

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 4th August 2011 at 13:21.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 13:20   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Civilizied and dumping doesnt go well. So lets stick to civilized and be patient. As i said if we end up getting a beamer or a merc its our headache to be careful.

Only good way to atleast throw some fear is get an SUV, mount those huge crash bars, have two hella lights on the bumber, some strong horns and fearless mind to show them we dont bulge .

On action we just amble across them as they give space for us
yes, it know it doesn't go well together but i want something big like dumping truck becasue it creates fear of instant punishment in people mind and they just get self disciplined. (though i know this effect is not a lasting one!). because they don't see any reward in following rules, so let's use punishment!
Old 4th August 2011, 13:37   #37
BHPian

Angry Re: When are we going to learn lane driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
.... The list can go on...
ya, list goes on. i am also very much annoyed by bikers who can't wait for 30secs and keep overtaking you from left when you are just on the corner with your indicators on to go left. same goes with right turns. these guys are just causing so many avoidable accidents.
i am telling this example above becasue it has nothing to with lane marking. you just have to have little common sense and have little patient.

Why there are so many accidents even inside city let alone the highways? e.g. in terms of fatal accidents Anna Salai is just behind ECR. both are well lane marked and everything. speed limit on Anna Salai is 40kmph, while most of the time you can not drive even at 10kmph and other time people are travelling at 80kmph! and those guys driving at 80 you can just catch them up at next signal waiting and cutting lane to go ahead everybody. what is the race?

Last edited by Suess : 4th August 2011 at 13:57.
Old 4th August 2011, 13:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

It is a simple question of self discipline and some common sense. If all of us drive with both of these am sure half the traffic issues would be solved.

Over the last month or so I have tried to clear traffic jams 3/4 times at the same Jn. The last time around it was along with a couple of auto drivers from the stand right next to the Jn. When we asked a middle aged gentleman to wait for a few seconds so that traffic could let to pass from the other side, we were told to mind our own business. Another gentleman who took the extreme right all the way until he reached the head of the queue there by blocking any possibility of traffic moving in the opposite direction was unrepentant when we pointed his mistake. I have never volunteered again to waste my time trying to organize traffic for people who seem to forget their brains back at home every day morning before leaving for work.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2404223 (Traffic and life on the road in Chennai)
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 14:45   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

I do not think we will for the foreseeable future. The main reason is the highly disparate traffic sharing the same stretch of tarmac.

In towns the number of lanes at any point depends on the TSRs, Rickshaws, bikes, etc. It is an amorphous mess. Buses stop anywhere and everywhere.

On the highway Tempo's, Cycles, Bullock carts create the same chaos.

To add to the 'fun' we have the habit of signalling as we please. For example, right blinker for I am willing to be overtaken, over (or should it be under-)taking from the left with impunity ang hogging the right lane, flashing lights not as a 'come on' but get our of my way, and so on. We have forgotten the basic tenet that you signal your intention and not what you want the other chap to do.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 16:43   #40
Senior - BHPian

Who says we do not drive in lanes ?

Every single car/bus/auto/bike/tempo makes their lane on the road.

The autos make lanes between 2 already made lanes , the bikes make lanes on the footpath, pedestrians make lanes in the right most lane walking home and challenging death and disability to harm them, the cycles make lanes at 90 degrees to moving traffic..... I could go on and on.

the point is - there are lanes everywhere, we just have to open our eyes and see.
normally_crazy is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 12:24   #41
BHPian

today morning coming to my office, i was just about to take one photo of a Fiat Punto who didn't like me going 10kmph in office buliding compound and honked, overtook and run at 20-25kmph into a bend! in one moment he has voilated all 3 rules(no honking, no overtaking, speed limit 10kmph). And i am sure he is proud of his Punto and his drving abilities because he just had defeated a poor soul with underpowered i20 in hot pursuit.

i don't understand why we can't behave civilised behind wheels? it is lesser than 300mts of driveway. going at 10kmph, you will cover it in 108sec and at 20kmph, well you will cover it in 54 sec. you saved 1 min! is that 1min so important that you would prefer to violate all the laws/rules and manners on road? i think it is. but we can waste days in front of TV or gossiping in pentry, or later when some accident happens becasue of our no repect for laws or our racklessness, in arguing and fighting.

(incidently, i noticed when he was crusing away infornt of me into glory, it has too some team-bhp sticker on its back!!)

Last edited by Suess : 10th August 2011 at 12:31.
Old 10th August 2011, 14:14   #42
Senior - BHPian

I had a similar experience yesterday in my office basement parking. I've slowed down, turned left indicator on to turn into my parking slot. I have to go slightly wide to turn left exactly into my slot. Impatient idiot behind me squeezes and races past from my left as I'm turning in so he can move ahead and park in his slot thats 6 places down the line.

I mean, how retarded and impatient can one be !!!
Axe77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 15:54   #43
BHPian

There are reasons for the bus/cab drivers who take the extreme left lane for turning right on a signal or vice versa.

When one comes across such a signal, the experienced drives keeps to left, if he wants to turn right. And to right if he want to turn left! Reason? The vehicular queue is often the shortest in that lane, as most people would instinctively keep to the direction in which they want to head to. This is more so, if the bulk of the traffic on that signal is moving in a particular direction. This way, he will be able to exit the signal faster and to hell with rest of the traffic. That's not his responsibility! The traffic hawaldar is being paid for it!!

For the buses, there is an additional incentive for doing this, as it affords a larger turning radius and hence, faster turning manouvres. Now, this behaviour happens instinctively in experienced drivers, and who is more experienced than bus/cab drivers?!

Whether this is a desirable behaviour? The answer is yes and no. Yes, for the individual who is indulging in such a behaviour - he has nothing to lose! No, for the rest of miserable folks who have to face the resultant inconvenience, or even chaos.

As long as we do not develop systems that either disincentiveses such a behaviour (e.g. forcing lane driving by way of penalties) or creates systematized desired behaviour pattern (e.g. slip roads for left turns, advance road dividers for right turn, different lanes for different categories of vehicles / speed), this will merrily continue. So just (grin and bear with it!)
RadiantKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 16:16   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I had a similar experience yesterday in my office basement parking. I've slowed down, turned left indicator on to turn into my parking slot. I have to go slightly wide to turn left exactly into my slot. Impatient idiot behind me squeezes and races past from my left as I'm turning in so he can move ahead and park in his slot thats 6 places down the line.

I mean, how retarded and impatient can one be !!!
This happens all the time in my home basement parking lot. My parking slot is to my right and I have to park at 90 degrees to the lane, so I have to point the car to my left and reverse into my slot. Before I can turn slight left some idiot rushes past from the left even though I have indicated I am turning left !

There is one particular unruly zen driver who drives as if in a drag race once he enters the basement. One of these days he is going to get it from me.

Another thing that gets me all worked up is when people try and squeeze into gaps when you are reversing out on to the road. They expect the car reversing to wait for them to pass - some morons even speed up and try to pass you when you are half way through - auto drivers and bikers being prime offenders.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 10th August 2011 at 16:20.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 16:25   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
......So just (grin and bear with it!)
i am usually grinding instead of grining! yesterday, i was on Nungabakkam High Road and wanted to take a left to Anna Salai from huge round about/crossing under an overbridge. i have my indicators on for 100mts and wanted to go exterme left before i reach to the trun but as usual nobody was letting me do that(on that turn/crossing NH Road becomes 3 lanes from 2 lane or lets say, the left lane becomes a wide left lane). Just behind me was a Beige color Safari who was changing lane like a fish, just on the corner he overtook me from left(as shown in pic. Safari is yellow line, me in red color) and went ahead straight with his left indicator still ON! i was like just had a mild heart attack, in back seat my daughter was sitting on the left side. I wasn't prepared for this stupidity as i had made sure and seen him in rearview mirror that he has left indicator on so, my thinking was that he would turn to left behind me.
Attached Images

Last edited by Suess : 10th August 2011 at 16:28.