Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2011, 19:54   #46
BHPian
 
carfreak77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 306
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: When are we going to learn lane driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suess View Post
i am usually grinding instead of grining! yesterday, i was on Nungabakkam High Road and wanted to take a left to Anna Salai from huge round about/crossing under an overbridge. i have my indicators on for 100mts and wanted to go exterme left before i reach to the trun but as usual nobody was letting me do that(on that turn/crossing NH Road becomes 3 lanes from 2 lane or lets say, the left lane becomes a wide left lane). Just behind me was a Beige color Safari who was changing lane like a fish, just on the corner he overtook me from left(as shown in pic. Safari is yellow line, me in red color) and went ahead straight with his left indicator still ON! i was like just had a mild heart attack, in back seat my daughter was sitting on the left side. I wasn't prepared for this stupidity as i had made sure and seen him in rearview mirror that he has left indicator on so, my thinking was that he would turn to left behind me.
This is becoming quite common on Bombay roads too. I think they do this so that others will think they want to go left and give them way. Once they get more space they just go straight. Its a trick they use to get more space and squeeze from the left side.
carfreak77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 13:25   #47
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 185
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: When are we going to learn lane driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak77 View Post
This is becoming quite common on Bombay roads too. I think they do this so that others will think they want to go left and give them way. Once they get more space they just go straight. Its a trick they use to get more space and squeeze from the left side.
What a trick! these people are gone completely nuts or what? if they just wait behind in their lane and let the people take turn it will be much smoother and safer(and i am sure i will make differnce of only some seconds). but it seems we don't have any respect for life and time of others. and we are proud of it!
Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 13:33   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
vasoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,031
Thanked: 207 Times
Default

The only way for drivers here to follow lane driving and for that matter any basic driving rules is to enforce them very strictly through policing and cameras and by including highway driving as part of the driving school curriculum and license tests. I remember Malaysia went through the same pain some years back when they built freeways across their country. After that they found accident rates has increased tremendously due to rash driving, drag racing, etc as most people were not aware of how to drive in such roads. They had to take cue from Singapore to see how that can be controled and now things have become more managed. It is going to be a long journey for us given the basic nature of "chalta hai" attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suess View Post
What a trick! these people are gone completely nuts or what? if they just wait behind in their lane and let the people take turn it will be much smoother and safer(and i am sure i will make differnce of only some seconds). but it seems we don't have any respect for life and time of others. and we are proud of it!
There is another "corollary" to this trick. That is when you have to take a right turn or U-turn in a divided road. The approach is to "not indicate that you are turning right" and appear as if you are going straight. Then once you cross the vehicles waiting on the right side of the road, just swerve right and take the turn wide making those who are waiting in the turn look like #$@#$. This is something I see Sarjapur road - Jail road junction every day and almost all of these are "educated" IT professionals working in Electronics City.

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th August 2011 at 00:34.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 13:40   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,304 Times
Default Re: When are we going to learn lane driving?

going by Bangalore daily drive standards, we probably will never learn lane discipline!
we are like crabs - always scrambling to get there first and pulling others down in our urgency to be "first" at all times. same reason why Indians are simply incapable of following civilized systems like queuing, waiting for the traffic signals to change, and using zebra crossings to cross the roads, giving way to women, children, elderly people etc. Its always push push push to be the first in line and in everything else. Horrible state of affairs!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 14:17   #50
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 185
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: When are we going to learn lane driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
.. The approach is to "not indicate that you are turning right" and appear as if you are going straight. Then once you cross the vehicles waiting on the right side of the road, just swerve right and take the turn wide ...and almost all of these are "educated" IT professionals working in Electronics City.
that's everywhere in Chennai at least, i haven't driven much in delhi but has experienced more or less the same lane-insane people there too. they use indicators to indicate end of their turn and accomplishment, i guess. once i was riding scooter and was in middle lane to go straight, the guy in car on my left has swerved right even without looking, let alone the indicating as soon as it was green for both of us, crassing front wheel of scooter with crash bars on back and i was thanking my stars!i still do thanks them.

Last edited by Suess : 11th August 2011 at 14:18.
Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 14:19   #51
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Home
Posts: 179
Thanked: 104 Times
Thumbs down Re: When are we going to learn lane driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
There is another "corollary" to this trick. That is when you have to take a right turn or U-turn in a divided road. The approach is to "not indicate that you are turning right" and appear as if you are going straight. Then once you cross the vehicles waiting on the right side of the road, just swerve right and take the turn wide making those who are waiting in the turn look like #$@#$.
Absolutely. This happens at almost every major signal, the MG Road-JDP signal, while taking the right at Windsor Manor towards the Ashok, at the Trinity circle signal...

Whats worse is that the people going straight are held up as well. It is appalling that road users have lost respect for others on road. We all know the buses do this(exempted as they have to because of their turning radius, but a real pain nonetheless), the ricks, the cabs, the two wheelers and the 'educated' IT folk too.
Recompose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 14:29   #52
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 185
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
going by Bangalore daily drive standards, we probably will never learn lane discipline!
we are like crabs - always scrambling to get there first and pulling others down in our urgency to be "first" at all times. same reason why Indians are simply incapable of following civilized systems like queuing, waiting for the traffic signals to change, and using zebra crossings to cross the roads, giving way to women, children, elderly people etc. Its always push push push to be the first in line and in everything else. Horrible state of affairs!
it's sad state of affairs indeed. we were in Germany for 11yrs, just moved back. in 11yrs, i haven't experience any "push" from anyone, be it on road, be it in a queue, be it on a traffic signal and be it in a traffic jam. there they will wait for green even at 3O'clock in night when there null traffic on cross road/zebra crossing. on highways, in city, even if there is a 20kms of traffic jam you will still find right lane free, and of course service lane is always free! untill unless, traffic police comes and put a sign which allows you to use right lane to ease the jam. here we won't mind going even in opposite lane in case of traffic jam and also jam that lane.

i need not to say that Germans are most punctual while we in india see being late as sign of prestige. still we push and rush to reach somewhere late and in process are ready to put own life and other's life on stake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECOMPOSE View Post
.. We all know the buses do this(exempted as they have to because of their turning radius, but a real pain nonetheless), the ricks, the cabs, the two wheelers and the 'educated' IT folk too.
that's where problems arise. we make exemption for those who violating the law instead of punishing them and make them do right thing. other's just follow for one excuse or other. examples of this are in every wake of life. take Corruption for example, someone has guts to say to make bribe legal, and legalise thug/agents/dalal working at RTOs and at other government offices!! we are ready to accept anything as long as it doesn't interfere with our comfort zone.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th August 2011 at 00:33. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 19:42   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,304 Times
Default Re: When are we going to learn lane driving?

yield to traffic on the right side (in right hand drive countries like UK) - In India have you seen the way people barge in wanting to make their turn before the other guy completes his turn from the opposite direction?
man - this is absolutely mad! this typically causes a traffic jam by creating a solid metallic wedge of traffic which is compounded by idiot 2 wheelers and autos! horrible.
i fell into the trap on a recent trip to the UK on holiday - blithely went to the counter without realizing there was a queue behind me! Of course the moment I realized I apologised profusely because I simply wasnt thinking when I went off to the counter. Then went straight back to the end of the queue with the accompaniment of many smiles from the 2-3 people who were already in queue.
I think this is because we are kind of genetically programmed to push our way into the front, something like salmon on the run or human sp*rm where the fastest one fertilizes the egg! I really feel quite ashamed of this to tell you the truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suess View Post
it's sad state of affairs indeed. we were in Germany for 11yrs, just moved back. in 11yrs, i haven't experience any "push" from anyone, be it on road, be it in a queue, be it on a traffic signal and be it in a traffic jam. there they will wait for green even at 3O'clock in night when there null traffic on cross road/zebra crossing. on highways, in city, even if there is a 20kms of traffic jam you will still find right lane free, and of course service lane is always free! untill unless, traffic police comes and put a sign which allows you to use right lane to ease the jam. here we won't mind going even in opposite lane in case of traffic jam and also jam that lane.

i need not to say that Germans are most punctual while we in india see being late as sign of prestige. still we push and rush to reach somewhere late and in process are ready to put own life and other's life on stake.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 21:49   #54
BHPian
 
Gandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 980
Thanked: 199 Times
Default Re: When are we going to learn lane driving?

This happens all the time on Bangalore roads. People don't respect fellow citizens anymore. And everyone is included when I use the term People, not only auto drivers and cab drivers.

Just to quote an incident here (not exactly lane driving), we have two parking spots in office right in front of lift lobby which are reserved for handicapped. These spots are almost always empty. One day I see one dude park his new Fiesta in the spot, I didn't find any disabilities in him. So I go and tell him that you can't park here as it is for handicapped drivers. He gives me an angry look and tells me to mind my own business. If we so called educated lot don't care a hoot about others around us, what can we expect from rest of the population.

I had read a study paper on a website (can't find it now) that Indians prefer self convenience over a better organized society in contrast to other countries who enjoy better organized system even at cost of their own discomfort.

I have lost hopes about organized infrastructure in India. I guess it's more to do with culture and how we grow up observing others doing the same thing.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 11:37   #55
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 318
Thanked: 166 Times
Default Re: When are we going to learn lane driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suess View Post
...we were in Germany for 11yrs, just moved back.
Explains your anguish better! Hey, not meant as an offence, mate! I'm fully with you on this.

Everytime I'm back from an overseas trip, I get a shock on seeing comparative utter disregard for civic sense. Earlier I would crib. No longer. No point in punishing myself by getting unhappy over these things. And if you really look at it, there is no end to it. On the road, it's not only not following lane driving. There is that incessant honking (at least 99% of it is in not required at all, IMHO), driving in wrong direction just to avoid a little detour, driving with high beams, pedestrians not using zebra crossing - not even waiting for the signal to turn red for the oncoming traffic,.. And the malaise is all-pervading. Off the road too, whither civic sense?! You have people crowding the escalators instead of keeping to the left to let others pass, people peeing on the open roads right beside a well-maintained and free public urinal... One can go on ad nauseam.

I think this kind of immediate self-gratification oriented behaviour is borne out of, apart from ignorance about the civic behaviour in certain cases, deep-rooted sense of unhappiness/dissatisfaction with the self. This leads to continual anxiety and compulsive competitiveness making one to always feel rushed with a need to reach the destination asap instead of performing the journey in a relaxed manner, need to do better than the other person... And when it is so pervasive, it would require massive awareness and efforts on the part of the enforcement machinery to effect a real change.

Any way out? I hope that with increasing development, people will gradually get exposed to and be inculcated with greater civic sense. Government machinery would also hopefully get gradually more resources to enforce the rules. In the meantime, people like us, who are fortunate enough to have been exposed to better life, can try to be the guiding light, with a smile on the face, to the extent we can, for the rest of the people, rather than losing patience. And I also decide to feel happy that I am endowed with better sense of wisdom not to indulge in such demeaning behaviour.

Amen!

Last edited by RadiantKarma : 12th August 2011 at 11:41.
RadiantKarma is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 12:01   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,304 Times
Default Re: When are we going to learn lane driving?

well said indeed. couldnt agree more!
this kind of self gratification is ultimately self destructive as it destroys society around one, which in turn causes self destruction.
sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
Explains your anguish better! Hey, not meant as an offence, mate! I'm fully with you on this.

Everytime I'm back from an overseas trip, I get a shock on seeing comparative utter disregard for civic sense. Earlier I would crib. No longer. No point in punishing myself by getting unhappy over these things. And if you really look at it, there is no end to it. On the road, it's not only not following lane driving. There is that incessant honking (at least 99% of it is in not required at all, IMHO), driving in wrong direction just to avoid a little detour, driving with high beams, pedestrians not using zebra crossing - not even waiting for the signal to turn red for the oncoming traffic,.. And the malaise is all-pervading. Off the road too, whither civic sense?! You have people crowding the escalators instead of keeping to the left to let others pass, people peeing on the open roads right beside a well-maintained and free public urinal... One can go on ad nauseam.

I think this kind of immediate self-gratification oriented behaviour is borne out of, apart from ignorance about the civic behaviour in certain cases, deep-rooted sense of unhappiness/dissatisfaction with the self. This leads to continual anxiety and compulsive competitiveness making one to always feel rushed with a need to reach the destination asap instead of performing the journey in a relaxed manner, need to do better than the other person... And when it is so pervasive, it would require massive awareness and efforts on the part of the enforcement machinery to effect a real change.

Any way out? I hope that with increasing development, people will gradually get exposed to and be inculcated with greater civic sense. Government machinery would also hopefully get gradually more resources to enforce the rules. In the meantime, people like us, who are fortunate enough to have been exposed to better life, can try to be the guiding light, with a smile on the face, to the extent we can, for the rest of the people, rather than losing patience. And I also decide to feel happy that I am endowed with better sense of wisdom not to indulge in such demeaning behaviour.

Amen!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 13:29   #57
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,852
Thanked: 15,406 Times
Default Re: When are we going to learn lane driving?

Lane driving? what lane driving?
Have you seen a war movie? Do those soldiers walk in lanes? If they did, the enemy would just plummet them.
I also go through a war every day.
I take out my spaceship on the road.
Suddenly, a Hero Honda active warfare drone tries to clip my proximity sensors which jut out considerably from the ship. I have to take evasive action.
And then suddenly, there is this Rick-stabber, armed with sharp armour piercing blades, waiting to cut through the hull, and again, next evasive action.
Surviving two enemy hit attempts, I juggle through the next obstacle, a Vikram class missile, carrying sharpnel designed to destroy battleships. As it comes at an acute angle to the road, from the wrong direction, I try to juggle to the left lane, and then the enemy launches its Deathstar, the Big huge Green Tata CNG Class destroyer frigate, capable of plummeting the biggest meanest ships to oblivion.
So in a battlefield, how do you do lane drive, pray tell?
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 14:14   #58
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 318
Thanked: 166 Times
Default Re: When are we going to learn lane driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Lane driving? what lane driving?
Have you seen a war movie? Do those soldiers walk in lanes? If they did, the enemy would just plummet them.
I also go through a war every day.
.................................................. ..
.................................................. ..
Hey tsk, that's one hilarious viewpoint. I don't say I agree with you. But you made my day. Folks around me are wondering what I am laughing at all alone!
RadiantKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 14:49   #59
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 185
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: When are we going to learn lane driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
Explains your anguish better! Hey, not meant as an offence, mate! I'm fully with you on this.
....
...
Any way out? I hope that with increasing development, people will gradually get exposed to and be inculcated with greater civic sense. Government machinery would also hopefully get gradually more resources to enforce the rules. In the meantime, people like us, who are fortunate enough to have been exposed to better life, can try to be the guiding light, with a smile on the face, to the extent we can, for the rest of the people, rather than losing patience. And I also decide to feel happy that I am endowed with better sense of wisdom not to indulge in such demeaning behaviour.

Amen!
couldn't agree more. i just do what is right to do and don't care if someone honking or cutting lanes. let them do what they like. i just pray that i wouldn't become a victim of road rage someday, though i know when someone get really angry becasue of my adherence to rule/laws. BTW this post rightly match to your name "RadiantKarma"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Lane driving? what lane driving?
Have you seen a war movie? Do those soldiers walk in lanes? If they did, the enemy would just plummet them.
I also go through a war every day.
I take out my spaceship on the road.
Suddenly, a Hero Honda active warfare drone tries to clip my proximity sensors which jut out considerably from the ship. I have to take evasive action.
And then suddenly, there is this Rick-stabber, armed with sharp armour piercing blades, waiting to cut through the hull, and again, next evasive action.
Surviving two enemy hit attempts, I juggle through the next obstacle, a Vikram class missile, carrying sharpnel designed to destroy battleships. As it comes at an acute angle to the road, from the wrong direction, I try to juggle to the left lane, and then the enemy launches its Deathstar, the Big huge Green Tata CNG Class destroyer frigate, capable of plummeting the biggest meanest ships to oblivion.
So in a battlefield, how do you do lane drive, pray tell?
it is a good satire. in game of war, i would still do that what i mentioned above though i know "everything allowed in love and war"!

Last edited by Suess : 12th August 2011 at 14:50.
Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 15:29   #60
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 185
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: When are we going to learn lane driving?

i also see a big difference between Delhi/North India traffic and Chennai traffic, which, kind of, relief. people in Chennai, take care and concern that they don't scratch you car, even more carefull if it's new! so, i would say very considerate people and i think that comes from humbleness. in North, we are just pompous and arrogant bunch of people and more happy in others misery than we are happy in our happiness.

though, traffic (un)discipline is same be it north, south, east or west.
Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much time it takes to learn perfect driving? Keralite The Indian Car Scene 73 28th June 2016 11:51
Heavy Traffic: Left lane goes fastest, Right lane moves slowest joybhowmik Street Experiences 17 5th September 2013 16:21
Night driving on single lane highways ad75 Route / Travel Queries 63 22nd April 2012 22:29
learn driving kutlee Shifting gears 30 26th August 2009 12:01
M5 having tons of issues, when are the germans going to learn?? 1Day The International Automotive Scene 13 26th September 2006 21:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks