Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 24th August 2011, 15:35   #76
BHPian

Default Re: When are we going to learn lane driving?

Well, now its my share.
After driving 4 wheelers in cities like Delhi/NCR, Mumbai, Pune, Ahmedabad, Surat, Chennai, Banglore and Hyderabad in last 5 years, I would like to rate Mumbai as the Best in following lane discipline.
Worst is Delhi/ NCR followed by Ahmedabad and Surat.
I managed to drive in the most busy roads in the evening times from 5.00pm to 9.00pm, in these cities on working days.

With or without demarcation on the roads, I feel people in Mumbai( esp with Mumbai registered vehicle nos) are more used to stick to their lanes.
Maverick79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 16:50   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
...With or without demarcation on the roads, I feel people in Mumbai( esp with Mumbai registered vehicle nos) are more used to stick to their lanes.
that's the point. people keep giving excueses but the truth is that we need to follow some rule/s. traffic on roads is a system and it has to have some rules if not chaos will follow. that's what we see on roads in our towns, cities.
Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 17:07   #78
Senior - BHPian

The sad answer to this question is "NEVER".
I feel that this is an extension of Indian mentality which runs deep down to mutual distrust among us. I have interacted with people from other countries and their first behavior is based on trust. They keep things simple. And consider other person as trust worthy unless proved otherwise. Story is different with us Indians. We always look at other person with suspicion. We try to think on lines that "I got to stay careful of that guy or else he is going to fool me in someway".

This behavior spills on roads with the zig-zaggers we see. To them everyone on road is a combatant and he/she has to win the battle by zig-zagging them out.

That's my theory.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 17:24   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
The sad answer to this question is "NEVER".
I feel that this is an extension of Indian mentality which runs deep down to mutual distrust among us. I have interacted with people from other countries and their first behavior is based on trust. They keep things simple. And consider other person as trust worthy unless proved otherwise. Story is different with us Indians. We always look at other person with suspicion. We try to think on lines that "I got to stay careful of that guy or else he is going to fool me in someway".

This behavior spills on roads with the zig-zaggers we see. To them everyone on road is a combatant and he/she has to win the battle by zig-zagging them out.

That's my theory.
Great observation indeed. in fact when i think about my experiences now, they also, to some extent, boils down to this. my father is used to say that "purane time me, jab raat ko kahi jate the to hume daar lagta tha ki koi bhediya ya koi aur jaanvar na mil jaye. ab hame daar lagta hai ki kahi koi aadmi na mil jaye!" :-(
roughly translate to "in older time we were afraid of animals like Jackal etc. while travelling in night, now-a-days we get afraid if we see some human being in night!"

Last edited by Suess : 24th August 2011 at 17:26.
Old 24th August 2011, 18:03   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilupadhya View Post
1 vehicle = 1 suv = 7 seater. how many are travelling? just 2. period of travel = peak hours. Route taken = roads with high density traffic. i dont think i have to compare the space taken by a SUV as against a two wheeler. what is more idiotic?
In a world where people starve to death don't we all eat healthy nutritious food, 3 complete meals a day, that's your answer right there!

If someone wants to travel to work comfortably, even if it means that he doesn't want the bike helmet ruin his or his spouse's hair then its totally fine. Its fine till the time the argument doesn't begin from how he's having 3 meals a day when people can't get one, or the argument is about how he's wearing D&G when people die of cold/heat storke, or how he's living in a huge villa when people don't have a roof over their head...

I think those talks are at priority before we talk about who's driving a 7-8 seater and who's riding a bike. On second thoughts, why not cycle to work? What may not be practical to you could be practical to me and vice versa.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 18:59   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
In a world where people starve to death don't we all eat healthy nutritious food, 3 complete meals a day, that's your answer right there!

If someone wants to travel to work comfortably, even if it means that he doesn't want the bike helmet ruin his or his spouse's hair then its totally fine. Its fine till the time the argument doesn't begin from how he's having 3 meals a day when people can't get one, or the argument is about how he's wearing D&G when people die of cold/heat storke, or how he's living in a huge villa when people don't have a roof over their head...

I think those talks are at priority before we talk about who's driving a 7-8 seater and who's riding a bike. On second thoughts, why not cycle to work? What may not be practical to you could be practical to me and vice versa.
couldn't agree more. i tried to explain that too but you did better:-). and anyways it's not about what you are riding/driving, it was about lane discipline. but of course if we don't have infrastructure somethings will only prove to be burden.
Old 24th August 2011, 19:18   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

Not sure where this is going.

Taking your examples. Should a person who starves to death complain, or a person who has his/her 3 meals a day? Should a person who has nothing to wear complain, or a person who wears D&G? Should a person who has no roof over his head complain or a person living in a huge villa?

Practicality does not mean it favors to an individual's comfort.

Just because we have the money, does not mean that we have the right to all the comforts in this world while others suffer.

I don't see our current infrastructure capable of supporting so many vehicles entering onto the streets everyday. We have to make changes to ourselves and adapt to the changes. If we continue to live in the past, then it will be difficult to change the future.

By the way, I cycle atleast 1 day in a week to work. Its only for my convenience. But then again, I am doing my bit to ease the current scenario.
anilupadhya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 09:07   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
Nowadays, everyone wants to be on the right most lane irrespective of speed. They must be doing about 80kmph and you signal them for pass, but they wouldn't budge. We have to drive around them. I'm forced to honk repeatedly.

Even Volvo's would go at 100kmph on the right most lane and would not budge, when you need to pass them. Just do not understand this new found fascination to sticking to Right most lane come what may.
It could be due to the way we were taught driving by the driving schools or by elders in the families or by the drivers in the family.

If you were learning to drive a car, the 1st tip would be right mein chalao....guess that's where we found our love for the right lane.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 19:24   #84
BHPian

Gentlemen,
I may be a little off-topic here but I was just reading today's news in one of the e-paper of Bangladesh, one of our neighbouring country. Their motor vehicle laws even require a written test to acquire a driving license and their High Court has made it compulsory.
No driving licence without written test: HC | PRIYO
Is there any such system in India where one should require to pass a written test? May be that will ensure that the drivers in India are at least not illiterate?
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
rahul4640 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 21:37   #85
Senior - BHPian

put it this way - it is a fine idea.
but what good is any idea without proper execution and in this case, enforcement?
we can have any number of rules, regulations and strictures. But all comes to nought since no one follows any of them and the authorities are too lazy, venal and uncaring to even bother to enforce them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Gentlemen,
I may be a little off-topic here but I was just reading today's news in one of the e-paper of Bangladesh, one of our neighbouring country. Their motor vehicle laws even require a written test to acquire a driving license and their High Court has made it compulsory.
No driving licence without written test: HC | PRIYO
Is there any such system in India where one should require to pass a written test? May be that will ensure that the drivers in India are at least not illiterate?
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 12:41   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
It could be due to the way we were taught driving by the driving schools or by elders in the families or by the drivers in the family.

If you were learning to drive a car, the 1st tip would be right mein chalao....guess that's where we found our love for the right lane.
In that case it is even more worrisome, but at least they should know that if someone wants to over take give side. Otherwise just to overtake you need to go around them which could be dangerous as it requires 2 lane changes.

BTW, recently near Mankhurd flyover there was a sign board saying
"Heavy vehicles keep Left" . Additionally, they can have sign board saying "Slow Vehicles, Keep Left". At least they should put these boards all over the place and hope it increases awareness.
mkpiyengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 15:22   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilupadhya View Post
Not sure where this is going.

Practicality does not mean it favors to an individual's comfort.

Just because we have the money, does not mean that we have the right to all the comforts in this world while others suffer.

I don't see our current infrastructure capable of supporting so many vehicles entering onto the streets everyday. We have to make changes to ourselves and adapt to the changes. If we continue to live in the past, then it will be difficult to change the future.

By the way, I cycle atleast 1 day in a week to work. Its only for my convenience. But then again, I am doing my bit to ease the current scenario.
First of all kudos to you for cycling to work. But with all due respect Sir atleast in Delhi you cannot do that. We Indians sweat. I sweat. How on earth do I cycle to work? Unless ofcourse I want to stink by the time I reach my work place. May be bangalore's weather suits it and your office must be very close. Otherwise I don't see any way how this can be carried out.

Regarding your other point about SUVs I again fail to see any logic in it. Small car is better then big car, smaller car is better then small car, bike is better then smaller car, buses are better then bikes, cycling is better then buses and maybe the person who is walking will tell you that your cycle occupies too much space so please walk. Where are we heading with this discussion? Agreed that our roads cannot handle so much traffic. But SUVs are not the culprits here. They hardly make 5% of the traffic.
This is a very dangerous arguement. In the end I can see us proclaiming that anyone wanting to drive a car should have a Nano and nothing bigger.

Quote:
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
We have systems in place. Infact we do need to write a test before applying for licence right, however poor is the level of questions. But hardly anyone gives it or takes it seriously. And thats the reason most people never understand the concept of driving in a lane, using low beams, not honking just because its free.
Literacy has nothing to do with it. Awareness does!!
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 20:07   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Regarding your other point about SUVs I again fail to see any logic in it. Small car is better then big car, smaller car is better then small car, bike is better then smaller car, buses are better then bikes, cycling is better then buses and maybe the person who is walking will tell you that your cycle occupies too much space so please walk. Where are we heading with this discussion? Agreed that our roads cannot handle so much traffic. But SUVs are not the culprits here. They hardly make 5% of the traffic.
This is a very dangerous arguement. In the end I can see us proclaiming that anyone wanting to drive a car should have a Nano and nothing bigger.
I dont see how this argument is dangerous. Just dont get offended cuz you drive one. just sit back relax and think logically.

First things First :- I am not targeting the SUV's alone. I have an issue with all private vehicles which can seat 4 or more passengers being driven with just 1 person in the vehicle. Especially when they are driven during peak hours on high density roads.

It just isn't efficient.

Why do you think the phrase 'Car Pooling' is gaining importance now a days. Because people see the inefficiency everywhere on the road.
I am not saying don't ever use your big cars on the road. Use your SUV's, Use your cars. But use them for what they are designed to Carry more people. Use it during off peak hours.

Secondly, As mentioned earlier, my comment was in reaction to Mr Shankar's remark calling all two wheelers idiotic. I know that my argument does not directly correlate to the discussions on this thread. But it ticked me off when Shankar made that remark. (But then again, after reading some other comments made by him on other threads, I thought its useless arguing with him)

Agreed that we need to learn lane driving, and SUV's have nothing to do with people learning how to drive in a lane. But since the people are not willing to change and the infrastructure isnt gonna change either, we need to learn how to become efficient with what we have. Let me know if i am wrong.
anilupadhya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 00:11   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post
That signal has the worst traffic violations known to humanity.
Pooh! Just come to Noida and see how the UP bhaiyyas drive. Not even a specific signal - you're free to try any signal in the city at random.

Let me present some of the more egregious happenings:
  1. The idiots on the left lane will be waiting to turn right. Behind them the fellows wanting to actually make the free left turn will be honking like crazy.
  2. Invariably some morons will, when they see a line of vehicles waiting at the signal, jump the lane and approach the signal from the wrong side of the road, selfishly reducing the lane space available for the people legitimately coming from the opposite side.
  3. Of course, since the fellows coming from the other side are equally selfish morons there will be people there also who have pulled the same stunt. So now artificially increased lanes of traffic will all try to squeeze into artificially reduced lanes of traffic, creating a hideous snarl.
  4. Not only is orange light is an invitation to speed up and beat the signal. In fact even after the light has just turned red some impatient drivers will try to race across the signal.
  5. Unfortunately, other equally impatient drivers will start crossing the signal even before it changes from red to green (majority of the signals have timers, so once the 5-4-3-2-1 countdown starts they'll start moving) so that makes for some hair-raising maneuvers in the middle of the signal.
  6. Once it is around 9:30 at night people become colour blind simply stop obeying the signal altogether, so it becomes a huge free for all.
  7. At night nearly everyone drives with main beams on. Some people even have main beams on when they are parked and waiting.
  8. It is dangerous to take a free left at anything more than crawling speed because invariably there will be some kamikaze coming up the wrong lane directly into your path. Cycle rickshaws, cycles, bikes, and autos are the worst in this, but very often cars will do this too. Even in the so-called "posh" sectors where supposedly disciplined ex-officers live, you will see cars merrily going down the wrong side with "ARMY" or "NAVY" proudly marked on them.
Apologies for the long rant. But the kind of jungle raj that passes for traffic sense on the roads of our country is downright appalling. What will it take to learn lane discipline and basic courtesy for others on the road?

Even during the Anna Hazare fast recently, I saw so-called supporters racing around town recklessly, waving flags, blocking intersections randomly, speeding up and down wrong lanes and one-ways... and these were the supposedly enlightened folk supporting the anti-corruption crusading Gandhian. If these are supposedly the people who will set right the ills of society, I fear for our society.

Last person around please turn off the lights.
Pacifica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 00:21   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
My previous driver had been working as a driver for 28 years when I discovered that the fellow simply could not read even Hindi. There we were in Delhi, with a huge board in front of us (in English and Hindi), with directions to Pragati Maidan and he stops an auto to ask for directions. Some questioning elicited an admission that he didn't know how to read and just ignored the traffic signage.

Leave alone how he got the license in the first place, after all everyone knows the RTOs are paragons of honesty.

Leave alone the fact that he'd been driving around Delhi for 20+ years simply by memorizing the routes he traveled.

Suppose he was driving my family somewhere and there was a traffic board warning of some danger ahead? And he continues with his kamikaze policy of ignoring road signs? Or the car MID gives some critical alarm and he simply ignores that too?

I fired him shortly after.
Pacifica is offline   Reply With Quote