Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 2nd September 2011, 12:31   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: When are we going to learn lane driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Gentlemen,
I may be a little off-topic here but I was just reading today's news in one of the e-paper of Bangladesh, one of our neighbouring country. Their motor vehicle laws even require a written test to acquire a driving license and their High Court has made it compulsory.
No driving licence without written test: HC | PRIYO
Is there any such system in India where one should require to pass a written test? May be that will ensure that the drivers in India are at least not illiterate?
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Not a written test, but in Kerala there is a sort of on-line test which can be taken in Malayalam, Hindi, English (even in Tamil in Palakkad). It is a multiple choice test, with around 25 or 30 questions on the basic road rules. You take the test individually on a PC at the RTO and you are automatically passed or failed and a print-out of your status is given. There is no way you can cheat on this (ie if the candidate himself is taking the test)
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 12:05   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Not a written test, but in Kerala there is a sort of on-line test which can be taken in Malayalam, Hindi, English (even in Tamil in Palakkad). It is a multiple choice test, with around 25 or 30 questions on the basic road rules. You take the test individually on a PC at the RTO and you are automatically passed or failed and a print-out of your status is given. There is no way you can cheat on this (ie if the candidate himself is taking the test)
This has been in force for over 5 years. Pretty innovative, i must say. But the catch is, the RTOs usually have a kiosk kind of thing, to do mock-tests. Almost all questions are provided there, and two tests would cover all the questions asked for the Learners' test (I found it out AFTER I cleared my test - spotted it in one corner, and tried a few times - there are just 15-20 questions in all, in their question bank, which are chosen at random).
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 18:26   #93
Team-BHP Support

It would be very hard to control traffic with a lane-system in a city like Bangalore. There are many reasons for that:

- Lack of driving and riding etiquette.

- Lack of uniformity of roads, in terms of width and length.

- Narrow roads.

- By-lanes that flow into main roads that don't have a definite exit. (eg. Richmond Road stretch between Vellara Junction and Richmond Circle Flyover)

What the authorities should do, is insert bus-lanes. The biggest nuisance on the roads, IMO, are buses, and the way they switch lanes. They behave like they're riding two-wheelers. The bus-lanes must be marked correctly and must skirt the left side of the road ONLY. And the rule must be enforced. I don't see any point in the bus-lane system, otherwise.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote