Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 19th February 2006, 05:45   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos
Sahil, NC is speaking the truth. He actually drives very casually and slowly these days. Believe me, I have seen it.
I'll take your word for it
NC floor it sometimes, it is fun without being too 'dangerous'
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2006, 10:10   #77
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm ....

I lose my temper. There are times I have wanted to 'take out' whoever it is in front of me - idiotic pedestrian, moron biker, nasty truckwallah and crappy taxi/autowallah. Sometimes even that respectable Merc driver who cuts me off very discourteously. I need to buy more FPS games I think, to take out the frustration.

Overtaking from the left? Well, I may do that on the highways when I am in a hurry and there is a very slow truck involved. Otherwise in the city I am not that bad - almost 99% of the times I overtake from the right only.

I hate it when I honk. But kya karein? In the US where I learnt how to drive in traffic, honking is frowned upon. But here you canot do without it. :(

In city speeding? Well if you call 100 kmph on third on the EEH, sometimes, as speeding, then yes. Naah, I dont think this is one of my faults.

Cannot think of anything else right now. And no, I have not bribed cops etc ..

Last edited by typeOnegative : 19th February 2006 at 10:11.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2006, 11:31   #78
BHPian

ahem...
1. Overtaking from left -- occasionally ( but its a must sometimes when morons dont move to left lane to allow overtaking from right )
2. Losing my cool.. used to happen almost everytime i drove but now i have started controlling..
3. Honking like mad at people who stop in the middle of the road to talk on a cellphone - above all they even say that - dekh nahi sakte ? ruk ke toh baat karne do !!!
4. No jumping signals.. have seen one guy die on the spot after doing it.
5. Seatbelts - i forget this a lotta times but am making a habit of wearing it

Talk about losing temper - i have stopped a Bus ( PMT - yeah... took a big risk.. i know ) thrice to just tell the driver that he's drivin carelessly and reported him to traffic hawaldar, Autorickshaw wala - countless - have beaten 1 of them to pulp for banging into an elderly woman's car and above that - abusing and slapping her.. and i have lost count on the cycle riders - but the ones who go zig-zaggin in the traffic are my prime targets

pune cyclists -- beware
hkanitkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2006, 11:34   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
NC floor it sometimes, it is fun without being too 'dangerous'
i would love too but - there is no space or road left where you can floor it with complete peace of mind - there are those double parked idiot taxi guys or the zig zagging bikers or the blind turn taking tempo/truck/auto and not to forget the best buses . all these are constantly at the back of ur mind - and to top it you have jaywalking pedestrians. its very very very risky speeding in the city.

so the expressway is the only road where i can floor it - but am so used to driving sedately that i cant get myself to floor it. except in rare cases like coming back from the daman drive
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2006, 14:12   #80
SLK
Senior - BHPian

1. I overtake from the left a lot, mostly when there is slow moving traffic on the right lane who don't give a damn and stay there crawling
2. Honk like crazy at times when the guy in front doesnt give me way and this only when he/she can definitely move to the side and let me pass
3. I do overspeed withint the city just for the kicks (I think I do the right thing crossing 50km/h is no crime)
4. Driving towards people who are coming with high beams, or putting on high beam myself for such people
5. Sometimes am not courteous to pedestrains with traffic breathing down my neck

Also these are the general driving things.... but specific incidents would make more sense.
I have driven on the MG Read (Delhi).. at insane speeds late night ... in my wagonR -- a Palio GTX started racing with me (he just overtook me as if I was doing nothing!)... but in the next 30secs the poor fellow backed off, As this uneven road is not the right place to do 130+ even for a GTX. (i regret these kind of drives)

Last edited by SLK : 19th February 2006 at 14:16.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2006, 12:15   #81
BHPian

Well more from me

We have formed a Auto Beater club, ,dedicated to beat the crap of auto wallahs if they commit a mistake, its a past time on saturday nites on Bangalore roads given the oneways find a lot of auto's coming on the wrong side of the one way. One Esteem guy got it from us for telling no one way rule after 11 pm D'uh, accidents are caused by these dumb imbeciles.
Race with every biker, car who try to rev hard at signals
Never jump signals though no matter what the time, have seen many a accidents due to jumping signals
anarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2006, 12:19   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos
Sahil, NC is speaking the truth. He actually drives very casually and slowly these days. Believe me, I have seen it.

yeah i know how he drives ...forget small cars ...he cannot see a bigg truck ahead of him till he is about to ram it ...at the last moment NC will swerve ...i think there is something wrong with his sight ...not his driving
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2006, 21:05   #83
Senior - BHPian

Overtaking from the left. (Frequently on my bike, almost never in my car).
Not wearing helmet sometimes.
Road rage. Rash driving if I am pissed off about something/somebody.
Indulge in unspoken races with other riders on the road (Never in the car).
Dont wear seatbelts sometimes.
Overspeeding, but again, only on my bike. Rarely in the car (could be due to the fact that I drive a carb 800 ).
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2006, 21:29   #84
Senior - BHPian

While on honking - here's what i've noticed:
On the bike, at least, the horn's conked off a couple of times. I've ridden a couple of weeks before getting it fixed - and have become a much better rider during that phase. Didn't lose time or speed or temper, mostly! So the honking beng necessary is a bit of a myth, and probably adds to frayed nerves.
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2006, 10:14   #85
BHPian

1. I overtake from the left a lot, mostly when there is slow moving traffic on the right lane who don't give a damn and stay there crawling Sometimes
2. Shout at every biker, auto walla, other vehicles who come to the wrong side of the road - road rage personified I don't spare the rickshaw wallas
3. Honk at times when the guy in front doesnt give me way and this only when he/she can definitely move to the side and let me pass...Definitely yes.
4. Don't encourage beggars (especially kids) and at-the-signal vendors.. Sure
5. I do overspeed withint the city just for the kicks..Very rarely and even then my wife scolds me
6. Don't wear my seatbelt at times..Nope.. I wear it all the time..
7. Flash my high beams at anyone who's on high beams coming in the opp. side..Sure. Helps in getting out my frustration.
8. Sometimes am not courteous to pedestrains with traffic breathing down my neck..Thats very rare

Sush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2006, 16:08   #86
BHPian

Default i agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx
While on honking - here's what i've noticed:
On the bike, at least, the horn's conked off a couple of times. I've ridden a couple of weeks before getting it fixed - and have become a much better rider during that phase. Didn't lose time or speed or temper, mostly! So the honking beng necessary is a bit of a myth, and probably adds to frayed nerves.
I agree wholeheartedly with this .. i've noticed the same thing for quite a while now .. the horn works on one of my bikes and does'nt work on the other and i've realised that when u know u can't honk u automatically don't feel the need to .. i never miss the horn and ride more calmly and with a lot more patience .. and here's the best part .. i manage to ride just as fast if not faster .. and when on the other bike i tend to use the horn to vent my anger .. (that's almost all i ever use the horn for anyway) .. i have'nt had a working horn on that bike for at least 3 years now and still don't miss it at all ..
The car is another story altogether ........
revvhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 19:37   #87
BHPian

well well well...overtake from the left alot of times...

2-jump traffic lights sometimes if im in a hurry...

3-park in no parking zones..sometimes

4-step on the pedal on empty stretches...phew its heaven

5-use beamer quite often..lol

6-honk like crazy if the guy infront of me has no intentions of reachin his destination..

7-talk on the cell phone sometimes while drivin

8-...eat while drivin...

9-drink while drvin!.....lol...only water...
nos_nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 19:52   #88
Senior - BHPian

GUILTY OF MOST OF THER ABOVE... Pet Hates - Autorikshaws and PPl who wont dip their lights!!.. Want to get myself one of those hand-held COP-CAr kind of lights, put in a millon candlepower bulb.. and let em' have it!!
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2006, 17:35   #89

Well here is mine!!

1. I overtake from the left a lot, mostly when there is slow moving traffic on the right lane who don't give a damn and stay there crawling - Rarely
2. Shout at every biker, auto walla, other vehicles who come to the wrong side of the road - road rage personified --Always
3. Honk at times when the guy in front doesnt give me way and this only when he/she can definitely move to the side and let me pass--Always
4. Don't encourage beggars (especially kids) and at-the-signal vendors--Always
5. Flash my high beams at anyone who's on high beams coming in the opp. side ---I Luv To do that to those 'You know Who!'
6. Look like I'm in a hurry when travelling long distances, I do say I am a careful driver and dont take too many risks but am reckless at times---Me too

Great thread Guys!!
Lotusking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2006, 17:21   #90
BHPian

Hey guys got only 50 odd Bhpians outta the whopping 4.5k+ members coming forward to confess on their on-road behaviours, well come on confess you guys, none of you are saints on the roads, that I am definitely sure .....
don't tell me you aint got the B*&^s to confess
anarchist is offline   Reply With Quote