Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 29th August 2011, 11:50   #16
BHPian

Default Re: HElping fellow BHPians stranded on road.

Nice Suggestion.

It could also be a simple text message, If getting an SMS gateway is possible. I think Google has a service for sending SMS.

It could work like this. A T-Bhp'ian subscribes to the SMS service/number, and from then on he/she receives SMS's sent to that number by anyone else. Some one in need of help has to send a text message to the number about their location and type of help needed. The message gets sent to all who are subscribed and the people nearest to the location can respond by calling them.

This way there wouldnt be a need for an app and also will work in areas and mobiles which do not have GPRS enabled.
Statement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 12:32   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statement View Post
Nice Suggestion.

It could also be a simple text message, If getting an SMS gateway is possible. I think Google has a service for sending SMS.

It could work like this. A T-Bhp'ian subscribes to the SMS service/number, and from then on he/she receives SMS's sent to that number by anyone else. Some one in need of help has to send a text message to the number about their location and type of help needed. The message gets sent to all who are subscribed and the people nearest to the location can respond by calling them.

This way there wouldnt be a need for an app and also will work in areas and mobiles which do not have GPRS enabled.

I think twitter can do this job pretty well. Is there a feature of limited group tweets in Twitter ?

Also, you can integrate it with your phone. A simple sms sent from your mobile to the twitter number gets broadcast to the entire group. Your work is done in 1 Rupee.

EDIT : On preliminary search on Google, I can understand that limited group tweets or private group tweets can easily be configured. We can set up groups for each city, and get ourselves subscribed to the group. This can be done in no time. Infact we can use this group for sending out traffic updates and team bhp meet alerts as well, apart from distress calls.

Last edited by PuntoMania : 29th August 2011 at 12:36.
PuntoMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 12:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

This is something which I have been thinking about for a long time. Let me add my two bits.

Stage 1: Building a database of volunteers who would try to help out other tbhpians in case of any emergency. Now obviously I cannot help out some one who is stranded in Corbett National Park, so one at the time of volunteering can opt to select areas as well say for e.g - NH4 Chennai - Ranipet stetch, NH45 Chennai - Villupuram stretch, Chennai city etc. The Volunteer's mobile number needs to be stored in the database.

Stage 2 : Create a database of people who would like to use this Tbhp assisted service during times of emergency. The way I see it is we should have some sort of way to send a SMS to join the database. When we are in need of help we need to send an sms to the number with our location. To prevent spamming may be we could get this facility available only to members who have contributed on the forum to a certain extent, may be link it the same way privileges are available to members as Bhpian, Senior Bhpians etc.

Stage 3: The emergency SMS has been sent to TBhp which in turn has forwarded the request to the volunteers based on location. If any volunteer decides to help out he has to send a confirmation message to TBHP based on which the mobile number of the affected party is messaged to the volunteer who can call and help the person out. This would ensure safety of our mobile numbers and prevent unnecessary spam as well.

I am not an IT guy though I feel what I have suggested is certainly doable, not sure about the costs involved though.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 23:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Helping fellow BHPians stranded on road.

If you don't have the high way assistance number stored, Immediately take your Insurance paper and call your call center and ask for suggestion.The next one is if you have a GPRS internet enabled phone browse the nearest help center.Please be thorough with your dos and don'ts before moving your vehicle out of the scene. Better immediately call your manufacturers or authorized service center from your user manual and ask suggestions. I will post my experiences after my car accident later.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote