Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 27th August 2011, 21:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default How to deal with the adolescent driver/ rider.

Today I had a perplexed situation, I was on my way to ECR.
Then there comes a boy who is rashly driving his two wheeler. It was I guess a TVS Champ, but the guy was riding it very rudely, he was criss crossing in front of my car.
I ignored him for sometime, but later he slowed, and later my honking also did not help. I overtook him and thought I will give him a piece of my mind.

I was shocked the boy should have been only some 12-14 yr old.

I had to leave him alone, because of one reason. I did not know how to handle him, I know if I start scolding him people will come to his support and shout at me.

So here is the question, how do you handle young adolescent drivers / riders. Other than of course leaving them alone.
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 21:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: How to deal with the adolescent driver/ rider.

If he was underage people would not take his support. Believe me on that. You should have just scolded him, and scared him a bit. A member here Tejas@periompl knows how to teach kids a lesson
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 23:02   #3
BHPian

Give them a wide berth and avoid any confrontation, it's not worth it. There are so many kids who come to the school in Pulsar's these days do you they all have licence. The Police and School authorities turn a blind eye.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 00:57   #4
BHPian

Adding to the one you said , I have another situation

I was standing at this Mahindra showroom, a Scorpio was being delivered. This guy who purchased the vehicle passed on the keys to his young kid and told him to understand the features from sales person while he grabbed a rajnigandha from his pocket.
The sales guy hesitatingly asked this guy who was standing next to me that how big is the kid and this 'proud' father said " he is 12 right now, studying in 8th class. he will drive from here (noida) to rewari, he is an excellent driver"

I felt like giving this fella a piece of my mind but had to withdraw myself as he was the father!!
kaks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 05:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

I agree with @Durango Dude, i think you should just forget it and move on. Getting into some advising may turn out to be a bigger problem as it all depends on how the guy takes an unknown elders advise. Some folks don't like it one bit and sometimes don't even know how to talk properly with respect when someone unknown is advising them for their own good.

Hopefully he will get his lesson someday and stop doing this.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 09:11   #6
BHPian

yep, such idiots on road are better left to learn themselves.

May be we should discuss situations where one is forced to travel with young (but of age) over enthusiastic drivers. With others in the car, any words on his moves would be seen indifferent. Those are times i'm a caged dog :-(

Last edited by Rennjit : 28th August 2011 at 09:13.
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 13:07   #7
Team-BHP Support

They should be dealt with as anyone else driving badly is to be handled. Additionally, ask them for their parents' phone number and if they refuse to hand it over, tell them gently but firmly that what they are doing is illegal and could cost them their life.

I think parents are to blame for this nonsense.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 13:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy Re: How to deal with the adolescent driver/ rider.

+1 to what Noopster said. They should be treated in the same way as any rash driver needs to be treated. Afterall even if the driver is under age, the other traffic is still at risk. One way of treating these rash underage drivers is to catch hold of their parents of the mistakes their children do.

I have seen many a such carefree school going students drive thier bikes(mostly) and race on the open roads, trying to zigzah through heavy traffic in the process many a times scratching the 4 wheelers. I have seen many in their school uniforms too, what do the school authorities have to say about this?
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 15:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaks15 View Post
Adding to the one you said , I have another situation

I was standing at this Mahindra showroom, a Scorpio was being delivered. This guy who purchased the vehicle passed on the keys to his young kid and told him to understand the features from sales person while he grabbed a rajnigandha from his pocket.
The sales guy hesitatingly asked this guy who was standing next to me that how big is the kid and this 'proud' father said " he is 12 right now, studying in 8th class. he will drive from here (noida) to rewari, he is an excellent driver"

I felt like giving this fella a piece of my mind but had to withdraw myself as he was the father!!
What!!! Shocking news. So finally did the 12 year old actually drive the car out? It is the parents who are to blame for encouraging underage drivers.
I agree with noopster on how they are to be treated. Need to scare them initially and then talk to them calmly explaining the damage that could be caused.
carfreak77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 15:59   #10
BHPian

@kaks15, I would take a picture / video of the kid driving the Scorpio with his father beside him, and then post the pic / vid with all relevant details at the Delhi Traffic Police FB site ... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Delhi...1573308?ref=ts

@xingamazon, I would do the same thing, and post at the Chennai City Traffic Police FB site ... https://www.facebook.com/search.php?...police?sk=wall

Imo, it is the right thing to do ...

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
FourWheelDrift is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 22:43   #11
BHPian

@carfreak77 yup he did. Actually his parents needed to be scared
@fourwheeldrift nice idea !
kaks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 00:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
There are so many kids who come to the school in Pulsar's these days do you they all have licence.
For the record, my batchmate aged ~16.5 rides his Royal Enfield, Bajaj Pulsar 220 and what not, to the school everyday. This guy had even hit a pedestrian at an intersection, few months back. No brownie points for making out the fact that he walked away, bribing the policemen

At the end of the day, I look silly being a BHPian and watching all these stuff!

PS: I'm a Class XII Biology student.
Klub Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 00:58   #13
Team-BHP Support

I'm 22, and my parents were very adamant about not letting me drive until I got my licence. In fact, even after I got my licence, I started driving on a regular basis not long ago.

You see, it boils down to the up-bringing of the child.

Today, one generally spots a two-wheeler ridden by some middle-aged guy, and a 5 year old sitting on the tank. More often than not, they will be riding on the wrong side of the road, without adequate protection, and in all probability, no insurance. When such things happen on a regular basis, how can we expect our kids to behave correctly?

There is only one way to deal with adolescents. Speak their language. And I don't mean Hindi or Kannada. I mean, speak like the way they like to be spoken to. We all know that adolescents are at an age where they are very impressionable and sensitive.

Speaking to them harshly is not going to yield anything. They might just rebel, for all you know, just to tick you off. So one must stoop down to their level in order to communicate and get anything across to them.

Be firm, yet gentle. And don't try and impose. That will just ignite the fuel in them.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th August 2011 at 01:05.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 10:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Knowing myself to flare up fast,I have been following the "ignore ignore ignore" formula wherever possible - 'coz conflicts are better avoided than resolved.

But preaching is easier than practising ; I did get out of the car once to charge at a juvenile on an Activa who came in my way at a crossing when he had no business to ; he sped away sensing trouble
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 18:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
If he was underage people would not take his support. Believe me on that. You should have just scolded him, and scared him a bit. A member here Tejas@periompl knows how to teach kids a lesson
IIRC, the one incident where Tejas made the boys do sit ups in the road, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I'm 22, and my parents were very adamant about not letting me drive until I got my licence. In fact, even after I got my licence, I started driving on a regular basis not long ago.
. I too am 22. I never was allowed to ride,driving was out of Q. In fact, got my license when I turned 19. Bike at 20, car at 21.
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote