Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 29th November 2015, 23:45   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Pitiful state of Mahatma Gandhi Setu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Patna-Bakhtiyarpur now is a excellent 4 lane toll road. Should not take more than 45 minutes.
Thanks mate. Though I did not have a stopwatch to count the travel time, I may safely say that it possibly took even a few minutes less.
Quote:
While going towards Hajipur, you can minimize the bridge crossing time by travelling to Patna city, instead of sticking to the bypass road to bridge. Join back on bridge at beginning of the bridge as if you are coming from Patna city. Today is the beginning of Sonpur Fair and expect the bridge to be crowded.
Sorry I did not do it. But you will be surprised to know that the bridge was almost clear of traffic, when I reached there. It was on 26th of this month, at around 11-00 Hrs. May be that the traffic on the bridge was monitored by the traffic cell due to the ongoing Sonepur mela. Took me just half an hour, approximately. Lots of police on the bridge. Unfortunately the next 5-6 KM after clearing the bridge, just to reach the Gandak river bridge the road was like hell and took me over 90 minutes to travel.
Quote:
As the Patna-Bakhtiyapur is really good, there is no point taking Mokamah Bridge. Rajendra Setu at Mokamah is in no good shape either plus you need to travel extra kms.
Thanks a lot again for your suggestion. It is due to your advice that I did not take that route.

Last edited by rahul4640 : 29th November 2015 at 23:48.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 22:42   #32
BHPian

Had gone to Patna for some work and came back yesterday. The condition of bridge is still the same, although the traffic management is better now. Uploading a few snaps and videos from last trip. Please ignore the audio in clips.

In this video, you can see the way the spans move. The movements have increased since last few years.

In this video, the damaged superstructure is on the left side.

The images show the traffic jam on the Patna side with all heavy vehicles waiting to enter onto the bridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Pitiful state of Mahatma Gandhi Setu-ts_d0047.jpg  

Pitiful state of Mahatma Gandhi Setu-ts_d0048.jpg  

BoneCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 18:26   #33
BHPian

Unaware today, I came to Patna for some work and then I saw in news that one of the pillars has sunk in. Checked and found that a span has sunk and not the pillar. Attaching a link of the news. Please DO NOT translate into English as it'll be hilariously bad!

http://m.jagran.com/bihar/patna-city...-14141372.html
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2016, 11:01   #34
BHPian

Earlier news reports were as usual full of unconfirmed news. There is no damage to the span or pillar but the expansion joint had caved in leading to total chaos. More details here -

http://www.telegraphindia.com/116061...p#.V1zq96BX7qA

I hope we get an early resolution as this bridge is the sole link between North Bihar and Patna. If traffic is stopped on this, the next route will be too long, via Barauni. Total distance would be then 99KMS from Muzaffarpur to Barauni and another 122KMS from Barauni to Patna, a total of 221 kms. Regular route via Gandhi setu is about 75 KMS.

I'll post more details when I cross it again today, hopefully should not take much time.
Attached Thumbnails
Pitiful state of Mahatma Gandhi Setu-screenshot_20160612105538.png  

Pitiful state of Mahatma Gandhi Setu-screenshot_20160612105600.png  

Last edited by BoneCollector : 12th June 2016 at 11:03.
Old 18th March 2017, 14:11   #35
BHPian

The recent news is that a Pontoon bridge has been started parallel to the main bridge to ease the traffic. It might lead to lessening of traffic on the bridge but its too early to comment. The pontoon bridge might not be available during the monsoons as the Ganges is too wide during it.

Pitiful state of Mahatma Gandhi Setu-1-1.jpg

Pitiful state of Mahatma Gandhi Setu-1-2.jpg

Pitiful state of Mahatma Gandhi Setu-1-3.jpg

Pitiful state of Mahatma Gandhi Setu-1-4.jpg

Iron girders have been fixed to attach the barricades as the bridge is in process of renovation - dismantling and laying of steel super-structure.
Pitiful state of Mahatma Gandhi Setu-gs.jpg
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 18:35   #36
BHPian

Just had a first hand experience of the pontoon bridge. Thankfully not as scary as I had thought. Will upload more snaps and video once I get back home.
Attached Thumbnails
Pitiful state of Mahatma Gandhi Setu-img_20170428_183158.jpg  

Old 28th April 2017, 19:21   #37
BHPian

Is it not a bit too much that this thread was started way back in 2011 and we are in 2017 and the bridge is still not repaired. Does it take 6 years to repair one span of a bridge
Dieseltuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 19:50   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Is it not a bit too much that this thread was started way back in 2011 and we are in 2017 and the bridge is still not repaired. Does it take 6 years to repair one span of a bridge
Well, now it's not one span but the whole superstructure has to be dismantled and redone. The new proposal is to replace it with steel superstructure. The work may start after the commissioning of two new bridges in June, the Arrah-Chhapra road bridge and the Digha-Sonepur rail road bridge (rail part is already functional). Let's see when this becomes fully functional again.

This thread did start in 2011 but repair work has been going on since more than 10 years.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote