Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2011, 12:45   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 413
Thanked: 161 Times
Angry If they can't, we can. Filling potholes in Bangalore.

Back in July I read this article about one rickshaw-wallah who fills potholes in Mumbai.

An autowallah who fills potholes at top speed, News - City - Mumbai Mirror

About a week I was returning (on my activa) back from office at about 8 o' clock.Now, there's this H-U-G-E pothole in Indiranagar, near 17th main garden, which is almost 8 inches deep. I could not slow down before I hit the pothole and ended up aggravating my pack and knee pain (had a major fall back in May).

I was boiling with anger. I actually wanted to do some serious damage, but my friends asked me to cool down.

I've tried mailing the BBMP officials, but the mails bounced back. Call their office and they say they'll look into it. BBMP Comminsioner Saddiah said he'll fill some 9000 potholes in the month of Sept., but that hasn't happened either. (Source: Pothole promises: BBMP fails to meet deadlines - southindia - Bangalore - ibnlive)

In UK or US you can sue your city council, but in India we can't. So I retraced this above mentioned article and though wait a mintue, why can't we BHPians do that too?

I mean we all can take out 3-4 hours during the weekend and fill any major potholes within 1-2 kms radius from where we live. Or maybe we can do a big drive. Pool in money, hire a truck, get come concrete or sand or cement and fill it ourselves, during night time. If this old man can do that, why can't we?

Is it possible? Any BHPians from Bangalore think the same? Any legal actions we can face for doing this? Let's start discussing about it.
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 12:55   #2
BHPian
 
Durango Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 656
Thanked: 503 Times
Default Re: If they can't, we can. Filling potholes in Bangalore.

I paid the guys who dig the road for cables Rs.100 so he doesn't dig through the ramp of my newly built residence complex in Chennai. I think if we are able to keep these guys off our ramps I think it will be great, one good thing that happened was they laid concrete slabs for pavement and pushed all the cables beneath so no "Digger Dan" is going to come and dig my side of the road. I think doing a 'Anna Hazare' isn't any good for your health. God and Corruption, in India, are 'omnipotent'.
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 13:05   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 413
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: If they can't, we can. Filling potholes in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I paid the guys who dig the road for cables Rs.100 so he doesn't dig through the ramp of my newly built residence complex in Chennai. I think if we are able to keep these guys off our ramps I think it will be great, one good thing that happened was they laid concrete slabs for pavement and pushed all the cables beneath so no "Digger Dan" is going to come and dig my side of the road. I think doing a 'Anna Hazare' isn't any good for your health. God and Corruption, in India, are 'omnipotent'.
If something like this was happening around my house, I would have made sure it's done properly too. I have seen people falling because of these damn potholes. I can't even begin to digest the fact that because of these potholes, someone might lose someone close to them someday. Or might see someone ending up in a hospital. I assume, it might have happened already.

And I'm not going to do this Hazaregiri alone. I'm hoping the BHPians will come forward and do something about it. If the government can't set a benchmark, maybe its citizens can. Just like that rickshaw-wallah did. If one can't do it all alone, maybe a dozen of people can.

Can't lose faith. Sorry.

Even if I don't get any support, I'll at least fill that one pothole up.

Last edited by creative420 : 29th September 2011 at 13:05. Reason: correction
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 13:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,136
Thanked: 1,563 Times
Default Re: If they can't, we can. Filling potholes in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420
I mean we all can take out 3-4 hours during the weekend and fill any major potholes within 1-2 kms radius from where we live. Or maybe we can do a big drive. Pool in money, hire a truck, get come concrete or sand or cement and fill it ourselves, during night time. If this old man can do that, why can't we?
Given the way things work here, this seems to be the only alternative. I remember reading about a group (Ugly Indian???) in Blore who clean up the filth in certain areas of the city, to make the city cleaner.

Regarding filling up potholes, I once attempted to fill up the pothole outside our home in Kerala with blue-metal and clayish soil, but with one rain the soil was gone and the vehicles dispersed the blue-metal all around. So what could work is either of the 2 options :

1) Fill the potholes with bitumen/tar - but this needs equipment and is tough to execute.
2) Filling up with concrete is easier - but it needs time to set. And not sure how we can avoid vehicles going over them before it sets.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 13:20   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 413
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: If they can't, we can. Filling potholes in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Given the way things work here, this seems to be the only alternative. I remember reading about a group (Ugly Indian???) in Blore who clean up the filth in certain areas of the city, to make the city cleaner.

Regarding filling up potholes, I once attempted to fill up the pothole outside our home in Kerala with blue-metal and clayish soil, but with one rain the soil was gone and the vehicles dispersed the blue-metal all around. So what could work is either of the 2 options :

1) Fill the potholes with bitumen/tar - but this needs equipment and is tough to execute.
2) Filling up with concrete is easier - but it needs time to set. And not sure how we can avoid vehicles going over them before it sets.
Thanks! Just spoke to my brother who actually is into road construction. He gave me a few pointers. Concrete won't bind with tar road and takes longer to set. Best (and the cheapest) way out is malma (brick powder) with black soil. Soil binds the mix together and regular watering, along with adequate sunlight sets it like a rock.
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 13:24   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
sajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,527
Thanked: 730 Times
Default Re: If they can't, we can. Filling potholes in Bangalore.

Pune Residents did that a while ago. Not that it goaded PMC into action.

link.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 13:28   #7
BHPian
 
anonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NCR
Posts: 564
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: If they can't, we can. Filling potholes in Bangalore.

I remember reading this news that someone sued PWD or MCD when his car got damaged due to potholes and consumer court directed the body to pay full payment of the damage. In their verdict, they clearly told that people are paying various taxes to these bodies so they are like customers and these bodies providing services, so they are liable to provide good service and if they fail to do it, they should be fined.
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 14:00   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli/Gurgao
Posts: 2,603
Thanked: 1,121 Times
Default Re: If they can't, we can. Filling potholes in Bangalore.

It's not correct to say you cannot sue the municipal authorities for the bad roads. Only we don't, not that we can't.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 14:14   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,924
Thanked: 1,912 Times
Smile Re: If they can't, we can. Filling potholes in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
It's not correct to say you cannot sue the municipal authorities for the bad roads. Only we don't, not that we can't.
We dont because the entire process is so time consuming that a couple of monsoons might have passed by till the verdict is announced. Till recently the road leading to the complex where I stay in Thane was riddles with pot holes. All I did was click a few snaps (with young child, senior citizens, ladies etc) and send them regularly to the Municipal commissioner's e-mail id. I used to do this once every week. I guess the officials monitoring the mail id must have got frustrated with my mails, they fixed the entire road. The whole episode took 8 months. Patience sometimes helps, not always.
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 15:03   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,552
Thanked: 2,494 Times
Default Re: If they can't, we can. Filling potholes in Bangalore.

So we pay road tax, we pay corporation tax, we pay property tax; but in the end, it is us ourselves who'll have to fill potholes - out of seer desperation due to the civic bodys' inaction. What a world we live in!

I'm sure nobody's daddy will have the guts to take legal action against citizens for filling potholes.

If someone plans something like this, I'll definitely turn up. And I'd like to give BBMP a piece of my mind. I think the word "Commissioner" has got a completely diff. meaning in B'lore : one just barks and the other goes about banning parties and letting corruption become blatantly rampant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Best (and the cheapest) way out is malma (brick powder) with black soil. Soil binds the mix together and regular watering, along with adequate sunlight sets it like a rock.
The problem is - one bout of rainfall and it'll all become a bigger mess.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 15:30   #11
BHPian
 
Jedi.Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore / Pune
Posts: 39
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: If they can't, we can. Filling potholes in Bangalore.

Something on the lines of "The Ugly Indian".
The Ugly Indian
They have done some amazing projects in Bangalore. One can check out their videos on YouTube.
Jedi.Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 16:26   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 413
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: If they can't, we can. Filling potholes in Bangalore.

Quote:
Pune Residents did that a while ago. Not that it goaded PMC into action.
Thanks for sharing the link sajo. Inspirational!

Quote:
I remember reading this news that someone sued PWD or MCD when his car got damaged due to potholes and consumer court directed the body to pay full payment of the damage. In their verdict, they clearly told that people are paying various taxes to these bodies so they are like customers and these bodies providing services, so they are liable to provide good service and if they fail to do it, they should be fined.
Good for that guy. My back is better now, so I'd rather use it to fill the pots than to fight with babus.

Quote:
It's not correct to say you cannot sue the municipal authorities for the bad roads. Only we don't, not that we can't.
ghodlur has made my point.

Quote:
The whole episode took 8 months. Patience sometimes helps, not always.
Bravo! I'm new in the area where I'm staying. Slowly getting to know the people around. But super thing you did there man!

Quote:
If someone plans something like this, I'll definitely turn up. And I'd like to give BBMP a piece of my mind.
Once we have enough people, we'll march forward!

Quote:
The problem is - one bout of rainfall and it'll all become a bigger mess.
Whenever I do this, I'll check the weather forecast. It hasn't been raining for some time now.

Quote:
They have done some amazing projects in Bangalore. One can check out their videos on YouTube.
Yup! They're absolutely
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 11:42   #13
BHPian
 
kirantp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 384
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: If they can't, we can. Filling potholes in Bangalore.

Bangalore tops the list of pothole cities in India. Not only that, whenever the government tar the road, next day either the watermen or the telecom people dig up the newly tarred roads for their work. I wonder what they will be doing all the while before the road is tarred and what makes them dig it up later.

Fed up of their attitude and blame game and guess there is no end to it anytime soon.
kirantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 15:33   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,124
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: If they can't, we can. Filling potholes in Bangalore.

I think the way things are managed its nothing but chaos! road maintenance is part of it!

last week corporation started to dig the road to lay pipes, the speed they are working even a snail will be faster. this thing started to creat huge jams a road which was 20feet was made in to 5feet, absolutly no planning and hapazard way of working...

they lay 2pipes in 3days and vanished, now the road is mesy and area is dusty and to top they cut some bsnl lines so these bsnl guys land up dig again and added to the mess, when asked them to cover up the dug up area properly they told its not thier business...

added to this they put all the mud to the drain while digging and left..

sometimes i pitty myself to be born as a "common man"
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 18:51   #15
Oxy
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 157
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: If they can't, we can. Filling potholes in Bangalore.

creative420 - This is a good thought and a noble initiative. Please count me in, hopefully we'd have sufficient people to achieve this.

Many would think it's not their job since they pay their taxes. But this is about making our city a better place to live. If the BBMP is busy dozing off, someone has to do their job.

Reminds me of the movie "A Wednesday" where a common man sets off to respond to terrorism in his own way.
Oxy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Facelifts" - Do they strike a chord? Do they make THE difference? libranof1987 The Indian Car Scene 24 21st November 2011 15:23
Potholes that I love. A summer trip to Kukdi River Potholes at Nighoj, Ahmadnagar. pjbiju Travelogues 21 29th April 2011 10:28
Power valves - What are they / how do they work? chetanhanda Technical Stuff 10 9th June 2009 16:51
Economic Bubbles - Why they form and why they burst ? DCEite Shifting gears 49 20th October 2008 16:04
Interesting article about Bangalore potholes Ashok The Indian Car Scene 2 21st February 2006 22:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:22.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks