Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2014, 16:04   #16426
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,253 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

IMHO the seat belt / airbag deployment are not related at all except that if one is not wearing a seat belt then the airbag will not be as effective as it could be. Infact it could be dangerous if driver/passenger was too close to the airbag as it deployed(controlled explosion) Even when belted many people suffer air bag burns.


The option to switch off the bag is usually for the passenger bag and this is available in quite a few vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
The airbag trigger is based on the driver seat belt. If the driver is not wearing seat belt then both the airbags will not deploy. If driver seat belt is ON then both the airbag gets deployed.

Not sure if this differs for other cars. There is also an option to turn off the airbag in Linea/Punto.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 16:27   #16427
Senior - BHPian
 
arnabchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MH-04
Posts: 1,317
Thanked: 1,076 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv26 View Post
Attachment 1301105

Excuse the telugu write up. This seems near Kurnool, Bangalore-Hyderabad highway.

It seems the car is Duster with airbags (based on alloys), or may not, and all passengers dead.

No wonder, Duster got 3 star safety rating in Europe. The news is from eenadu/hyderabad edition (today). so sad..
Surprising that occupants are dead:

1) Car is equipped with airbags. Did it not inflate or were the occupants not belted?

2) From the pic, the passenger cabin looks intact.

Last edited by arnabchak : 21st October 2014 at 16:28.
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 18:29   #16428
Senior - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,251
Thanked: 4,036 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I am not sure if this is true, anyway, a lot of people of shut the seat belt warning sign off, strap the belt around the seat and sit on the belt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
IMHO the seat belt / airbag deployment are not related at all except that if one is not wearing a seat belt then the airbag will not be as effective as it could be. Infact it could be dangerous if driver/passenger was too close to the airbag as it deployed(controlled explosion) Even when belted many people suffer air bag burns.
Airbag/Seat belt link is discussed in the below thread as well,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post772673 (Airbags don't activate if you aren't wearing a seatbelt?)

Here is a quote from this thread,
Quote:
An airbag is a Secondary Restraint System.
It will deploy when the primary system i.e. the seatbelt is being used.
Also, earlier this year when I met with an accident, I was alone but both the airbags got deployed. When I checked with MASS they said that both the airbag triggers are initiated from the driver seat belt.
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 22:14   #16429
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,736
Thanked: 6,959 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
IMHO the seat belt / airbag deployment are not related at all except that if one is not wearing a seat belt then the airbag will not be as effective as it could be. Infact it could be dangerous if driver/passenger was too close to the airbag as it deployed(controlled explosion) Even when belted many people suffer air bag burns.
I learned from a friend that it is no fun being smashed in the face by an airbag --- but it is a great deal better than the alternative.
Quote:
The option to switch off the bag is usually for the passenger bag and this is available in quite a few vehicles.
This is specifically to accommodate child seats and rear-facing baby seats, in which case airbags can be lethal. It is not really for giving passengers the right to smash themselves to pieces on the dashboard and windscreen.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 23:31   #16430
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,253 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Just because a thread says so, I am not going to go and agree with the same especially when I know what is correct. Additionally in the same thread there are posts validating my stand point.

Airbags initially were offered as a replacement for seat belts but it was soon realised that they worked best only if used along with the seat belts. However their deployment was never linked to seat belts being used. They are deployed only when the impact sensors mounted right behind the front grill get hit with a force exceeding their trigger limits.

Sorry to hear about your accident and It is heartening to note that you benefitted from the presence of airbags in your car. The passenger airbag in the maruti deployed because neither weight sensors in the passenger seats nor the option to switch off the passenger side air bag are offered in Maruti cars in our country.


Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Airbag/Seat belt link is discussed in the below thread as well,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post772673 (Airbags don't activate if you aren't wearing a seatbelt?)

Here is a quote from this thread,
Also, earlier this year when I met with an accident, I was alone but both the airbags got deployed. When I checked with MASS they said that both the airbag triggers are initiated from the driver seat belt.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 13:14   #16431
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 95
Thanked: 54 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

This is what an idiot driving Innova did to me in a 6 lane highway yesterday night while i was driving with my wife and two kids. I was on the middle lane doing 80 and this Innova came behind and started flashing headlights. The lanes on my left and right was empty and no other vehicles in vicinity. I thought he would take the right or left lane and hence i stuck to my lane. There he comes and hits me around my cars left front wheel and merrily goes without stopping. Luckily the hit was not very severe otherwise we would have lost control and may even have jumped the median. I gave a chase and caught him after 2 kms. I flashed my lights and honked but he did not stop. This chasing continued for 2 kms after which it started raining and i thought its not wise to chase him with my family in car and the time being past 9:30pm. We have noted his number. He took a left and vanished. At one point i was driving parallel with him honking and shouting to stop. The driver did not even turn. There was a passenger in the last row and he didnt even bother to look back while i flashed my lights. Now i need to spend from my pocket for no mistake of mine. Any use in complaining in any Chennai traffic police site? What would be the approximate cost to fix the damage in a body shop?
Pics: Accidents in India-img_20141023_123416.jpg

Last edited by pisthpeeps : 23rd October 2014 at 13:15.
pisthpeeps is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 13:26   #16432
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,736
Thanked: 6,959 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

That must have been a very frightening experience. The damage to the car is bad enough, but the fear to you and your family must be worse.

If law was serious, the guy would be prosecuted.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 13:45   #16433
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Toronto,Canada
Posts: 179
Thanked: 158 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisthpeeps View Post
This is what an idiot driving Innova did to me in a 6 lane highway yesterday night while i was driving with my wife and two kids. I was on the middle lane doing 80 and this Innova came behind and started flashing headlights. The lanes on my left and right was empty and no other vehicles in vicinity. I thought he would take the right or left lane and hence i stuck to my lane. There he comes and hits me around my cars left front wheel and merrily goes without stopping. Luckily the hit was not very severe otherwise we would have lost control and may even have jumped the median. I gave a chase and caught him after 2 kms. I flashed my lights and honked but he did not stop. This chasing continued for 2 kms after which it started raining and i thought its not wise to chase him with my family in car and the time being past 9:30pm. We have noted his number. He took a left and vanished. At one point i was driving parallel with him honking and shouting to stop. The driver did not even turn. There was a passenger in the last row and he didnt even bother to look back while i flashed my lights. Now i need to spend from my pocket for no mistake of mine. Any use in complaining in any Chennai traffic police site? What would be the approximate cost to fix the damage in a body shop?
Attachment 1301907
"Idiot" is not the word to be used for this guy who had done this on purpose. These guys are really scum-bags...
gabrielthomas is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 21:38   #16434
Senior - BHPian
 
longhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,151
Thanked: 285 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

@pisthpeeps - better file a hit and run complaint at your nearest police station. Since you have the vehicle's registration no, things should be easier. Since you mentioned six lane highway I'm guessing its a toll road, so the cops should be able to pull out proof the offending vehicle was in your vincinity from the toll records.
longhorn is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2014, 07:41   #16435
BHPian
 
sjcherian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 432
Thanked: 333 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisthpeeps View Post
This is what an idiot driving Innova did to me in a 6 lane highway yesterday night while i was driving with my wife and two kids. I was on the middle lane doing 80 and this Innova came behind and started flashing headlights. The lanes on my left and right was empty and no other vehicles in vicinity. I thought he would take the right or left lane and hence i stuck to my lane. There he comes and hits me around my cars left front wheel and merrily goes without stopping. Luckily the hit was not very severe otherwise we would have lost control and may even have jumped the median. I gave a chase and caught him after 2 kms. I flashed my lights and honked but he did not stop. This chasing continued for 2 kms after which it started raining and i thought its not wise to chase him with my family in car and the time being past 9:30pm. We have noted his number. He took a left and vanished. At one point i was driving parallel with him honking and shouting to stop. The driver did not even turn. There was a passenger in the last row and he didnt even bother to look back while i flashed my lights. Now i need to spend from my pocket for no mistake of mine. Any use in complaining in any Chennai traffic police site? What would be the approximate cost to fix the damage in a body shop?
Attachment 1301907
Sorry to hear about this. The fastest course of action would be to talk to your ASS about getting it fixed under insurance. (Usually they will not ask for any FIR from the police for hit and run - you can say you couldn't see the number as it was raining and the vehicle took off). Even if you try going to the police station cops will ask you to file a claim with insurance.

Someone who can brazenly hit another vehicle and drive away without stopping will not be the type who will pay for your cars repairs and with a few calls to the cops can easily turn things around so that you are at fault where you have to pay for the damages to his vehicle as well.

Such accidents are the reasons to have front and rear DVR system and cameras installed. Maybe with video proof something could have been done.
I hate saying this (am all for going after the culprit but as of right now it is your+familys word against his) but best would be to get the car fixed through insurance and not spend time on any other wild goose chase. Its a loss to you but luckily you and family are unhurt.
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2014, 08:47   #16436
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,580
Thanked: 3,325 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Sorry to hear about this. The fastest course of action would be to talk to your ASS about getting it fixed under insurance. (Usually they will not ask for any FIR from the police for hit and run - you can say you couldn't see the number as it was raining and the vehicle took off). Even if you try going to the police station cops will ask you to file a claim with insurance.

Someone who can brazenly hit another vehicle and drive away without stopping will not be the type who will pay for your cars repairs and with a few calls to the cops can easily turn things around so that you are at fault where you have to pay for the damages to his vehicle as well.

Such accidents are the reasons to have front and rear DVR system and cameras installed. Maybe with video proof something could have been done.
I hate saying this (am all for going after the culprit but as of right now it is your+familys word against his) but best would be to get the car fixed through insurance and not spend time on any other wild goose chase. Its a loss to you but luckily you and family are unhurt.
Spot on. You can't prove anything now, and the only certain outcome is a colossal waste of time.

PTP,

IMHO you should thank your stars. Such idiots are unpredictable. For a collision with an Innova while at 80 kph, this is a mild scratch, things could've been much much worse.

Fenders are replaceable, the family is irreplaceable.

Having said that, the extent of the damage indicates that maybe his intention was to squeeze past you and nothing more. This seems like a high speed maneuver gone bad. A collision with an Innova can wreak much more damage. Just my opinion.
phamilyman is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2014, 09:01   #16437
BHPian
 
::CMS::'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 568
Thanked: 458 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

If the OP is ready to dedicate some time in the court, he can make the other guy to understand how serious is a hit and run offence. OP should have filed the FIR immediately after the incident and proceed with a case.
::CMS:: is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2014, 09:05   #16438
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,918
Thanked: 1,143 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisthpeeps View Post
This is what an idiot driving Innova did to me in a 6 lane highway yesterday night while i was driving with my wife and two kids. I was on the middle lane doing 80 and this Innova came behind and started flashing headlights. The lanes on my left and right was empty and no other vehicles in vicinity. I thought he would take the right or left lane and hence i stuck to my lane. There he comes and hits me around my cars left front wheel and merrily goes without stopping. Luckily the hit was not very severe otherwise we would have lost control and may even have jumped the median. I gave a chase and caught him after 2 kms. I flashed my lights and honked but he did not stop. This chasing continued for 2 kms after which it started raining and i thought its not wise to chase him with my family in car and the time being past 9:30pm. We have noted his number. He took a left and vanished. At one point i was driving parallel with him honking and shouting to stop. The driver did not even turn. There was a passenger in the last row and he didnt even bother to look back while i flashed my lights. Now i need to spend from my pocket for no mistake of mine. Any use in complaining in any Chennai traffic police site? What would be the approximate cost to fix the damage in a body shop?
My suggestion is not to file a FIR. Instead go through insurance directly and rectify the damage at your earliest. Looks like the innova guy is some influential person. Despite repeated honking if that guy did not bother to stop, it shows that guy's mentality. What if he had stopped and attacked you and your family.
Agreed damage to car is one aspect which can be rectified but any harm to u and your family members will be a painful one.
Unfortunately we have to live in this society where one particular section called MORORNS rule the roost.
suresh_gs is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2014, 09:20   #16439
BHPian
 
flipsyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 636
Thanked: 58 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Out of personal experience let me tell you the best thing to do is claim insurance and move on. I had been in a similar situation about two years back. The cops aren't interested in filing FIR unless the damage is substantial or there has been injury or fatality due to the accident.

DVR is going to help either. Unless you have a lot of time on your hands and you are willing to go thru the ordeal its not worth the trouble. FIR requires you to leave the car at the police station for a day or two for inspection.
flipsyde is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2014, 10:28   #16440
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 138
Thanked: 84 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Did you get his registration number? It may be better to preempt him and file a FIR.
hajaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India tops global list of deaths in road accidents anujmishra The Indian Car Scene 84 19th November 2016 16:47
Road Accidents in Dubai - Pics Steeroid Shifting gears 143 28th April 2015 17:39
India to use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube to reduce fatal accidents mithun The Indian Car Scene 24 30th September 2009 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks