Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2014, 11:48   #16456
Senior - BHPian
 
wilful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: cochin
Posts: 1,120
Thanked: 862 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

At 200 kms per hour it is a surprise that there is anything left at all!
When will folks learn that one is not invulnerable sitting behind the steering wheel - whatever be the make of the car??
And what of the poor tree I wonder?
wilful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 12:04   #16457
Senior - BHPian
 
stanjohn123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TN 75
Posts: 1,063
Thanked: 392 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy View Post
Because it's overtaking traffic's job to overtake on the right-most lane. That's what the right-most lane is designated for.

Once you've completed the overtaking maneuver, in an ideal world, you'd merge back into the center lane.

This is sadly ignored by a fair few drivers, and is rather irritating, especially during highway driving.
Yes , I know the rules too but what I'm trying to say was , since the OP's left lane was empty he could have just taken it to let the impatient idiot pass by as he was flashing his lights.

Not everyone driving in our roads drive with sense and road manners. We can let go of our ego in some places to avoid serious mishaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
Holy Smoke!!! 200 Kms???#
In a BMW 200 is easily possible , what now our C segment cars getting close to such speeds. Also I have noticed an M badging on the 3rd photo , maybe this is the M3 model. Sad for all the terrible loss.

I was first speculating the Polices claims of 200 Kmph , but seeing a BMW in such condition I think they were going much faster than 200.
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 12:15   #16458
BHPian
 
Stiggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SIN/BOM
Posts: 86
Thanked: 73 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Yes , I know the rules too but what I'm trying to say was , since the OP's left lane was empty he could have just taken it to let the impatient idiot pass by as he was flashing his lights.

Not everyone driving in our roads drive with sense and road manners. We can let go of our ego in some places to avoid serious mishaps.
That's why you'd notice I said "in an ideal world".
Stiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 12:43   #16459
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,554 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
Some more pics of the BMW accident in ludhiana. As per the local police the car was being driven at speeds of 200 kmph when the driver lost control of the car & it hit a roadside tree & ended up into pieces. The car in question is said to be a BMW 320i.
it was not just the BMW that was shredded into pieces.
Body parts of those killed were found scattered all over the place near the crash site.
akshay4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 12:46   #16460
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,955
Thanked: 15,648 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

The speedometer of BMW was stuck at 120kmph.
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2014/20141027/ldh1.htm#1

I am guessing they were doing about 140-160, lost control and hit a tree.
200kmph? Nope.

That said, this road is narrow, and this stretch has speed breakers. Most probably they lost control after take off from a speed breaker.
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 12:55   #16461
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,936
Thanked: 1,159 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
it was not just the BMW that was shredded into pieces.
Body parts of those killed were found scattered all over the place near the crash site.
Cannot understand the logic as to why people have to go fast to reach their doom equally fast.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 13:04   #16462
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 73
Thanked: 75 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post

In a BMW 200 is easily possible , what now our C segment cars getting close to such speeds. Also I have noticed an M badging on the 3rd photo , maybe this is the M3 model. Sad for all the terrible loss.

I was first speculating the Polices claims of 200 Kmph , but seeing a BMW in such condition I think they were going much faster than 200.
it indeed looks like an M3 as the second pic shows the front fender of the car which has an M sticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
it was not just the BMW that was shredded into pieces.
Body parts of those killed were found scattered all over the place near the crash site.
yes i have a pic of the scattered body parts lying on the road but i think some may find it inappropriate if i post it. I still cant believe how even the body parts got cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The speedometer of BMW was stuck at 120kmph.
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2014/20141027/ldh1.htm#1

I am guessing they were doing about 140-160, lost control and hit a tree.
200kmph? Nope.

That said, this road is narrow, and this stretch has speed breakers. Most probably they lost control after take off from a speed breaker.
This road is narrow & dosent sees much traffic throughout the day. The speedbreakers are their but just before an intersection.
trinity0114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 13:17   #16463
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 2,203
Thanked: 2,957 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
it indeed looks like an M3 as the second pic shows the front fender of the car which has an M sticker
It's old Gen - 320-D as per information from my known , there is a curve on this stretch where it went off .
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 13:20   #16464
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,116
Thanked: 3,490 Times
Default

One needs to be utterly brainless to try those speeds anywhere except the YEW , and that too only because it's enclosed,not because it's legal. It doesn't take big cajunas to step on the gas and get to that speed in a car for which it's pedestrian pace.
I suppose the passengers peddled their brains too at the same pawn shop.
Ages ago, a friend bought an optra, our group's first "big" car, and he tried showing off the acceleration and speeds and all. The rest of us made him stop, and left him at India gate to walk to my home till pandara. Never tried that again, at least with us.

Inexcusable.
mayankk is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 14:40   #16465
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,848
Thanked: 7,257 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy View Post
Because it's overtaking traffic's job to overtake on the right-most lane. That's what the right-most lane is designated for.

Once you've completed the overtaking maneuver, in an ideal world, you'd merge back into the center lane.

This is sadly ignored by a fair few drivers, and is rather irritating, especially during highway driving.
Misunderstandings. If you remain in the middle lane and expect all overtakers to use the right-hand lane, then you are taking up 2/3rds of the road.

It is the job of overtaking traffic to move back to the left after overtaking. All the way. Unless it is occupied by other traffic , or dangerous in some way, the left-hand lane should be used.

If a person is leaving an empty, clear lane on their left they should not grumble if other traffic uses it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
Some more pics of the BMW accident in ludhiana. As per the local police the car was being driven at speeds of 200 kmph when the driver lost control of the car & it hit a roadside tree & ended up into pieces. The car in question is said to be a BMW 320i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
And what of the poor tree I wonder?
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 14:43   #16466
BHPian
 
Stiggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SIN/BOM
Posts: 86
Thanked: 73 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Misunderstandings. If you remain in the middle lane and expect all overtakers to use the right-hand lane, then you are taking up 2/3rds of the road.

It is the job of overtaking traffic to move back to the left after overtaking. All the way. Unless it is occupied by other traffic , or dangerous in some way, the left-hand lane should be used.

If a person is leaving an empty, clear lane on their left they should not grumble if other traffic uses it.






Isn't it such that the lane at the very left be used for entering/exiting the expressway/highway?

I know I wouldn't want to be doing expressway speeds on the very left lane, especially on Indian highways where on-ramps and off-ramps aren't marked, nor does merging traffic care to stop and look before joining the road.
Stiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 15:50   #16467
Senior - BHPian
 
sourabhzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 1,541
Thanked: 1,277 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Misunderstandings. If you remain in the middle lane and expect all overtakers to use the right-hand lane, then you are taking up 2/3rds of the road.

It is the job of overtaking traffic to move back to the left after overtaking. All the way. Unless it is occupied by other traffic , or dangerous in some way, the left-hand lane should be used.

If a person is leaving an empty, clear lane on their left they should not grumble if other traffic uses it.
In a 3 lane road we occupy 2/3rd of the road irrespective of the lane we are in. Expecting all to use right most lane to over take is a sensible and logical thing IMO.

I agree we should not grumble if other traffic is using left lane to overtake but the overtaking vehicle should give sufficient warning before doing that.

Also, we must allow a person to overtake from right if we are on the right most lane and someone is honking/flashing lights to overtake, provided there is space to move to middle/left lane.
sourabhzen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 17:31   #16468
Senior - BHPian
 
stanjohn123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TN 75
Posts: 1,063
Thanked: 392 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Cannot understand the logic as to why people have to go fast to reach their doom equally fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
When will folks learn that one is not invulnerable sitting behind the steering wheel - whatever be the make of the car??
And what of the poor tree I wonder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
Wonder what gets into minds of people who drive these high end cars - Attitude? that makes them drive at 200Kms...I would want to sit in a BMW one day and experience what it feels like....grrrrr!!
Ok guess we are going way off topic here but without a proper investigation we do not know who is at fault here. Being an old German car it could also have been a case of some electronic failure or unintended acceleration that could have caused this accident.

And even with a proper investigation I'm highly doubtful they will be able to find out anything wrong with the car (even if there was something wrong). So it's better we don't blame drivers in such kind of accidents.
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 18:44   #16469
Senior - BHPian
 
sourabhzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 1,541
Thanked: 1,277 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Ok guess we are going way off topic here but without a proper investigation we do not know who is at fault here. Being an old German car it could also have been a case of some electronic failure or unintended acceleration that could have caused this accident.

And even with a proper investigation I'm highly doubtful they will be able to find out anything wrong with the car (even if there was something wrong). So it's better we don't blame drivers in such kind of accidents.
'Proper investigation' is a remote possibility. Police is going to do the investigation as per the news reports. We do not have dedicated investigating agencies for road accidents.

Whatever it is, over speeding is definitely a reason here. The question is - what is the right age to realize that 'speed thrills but kills'?
sourabhzen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 18:55   #16470
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Toronto,Canada
Posts: 179
Thanked: 158 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Ok guess we are going way off topic here but without a proper investigation we do not know who is at fault here. Being an old German car it could also have been a case of some electronic failure or unintended acceleration that could have caused this accident.

And even with a proper investigation I'm highly doubtful they will be able to find out anything wrong with the car (even if there was something wrong). So it's better we don't blame drivers in such kind of accidents.
I agree with Sourabh...even if they car really had some fault, if they had gone with a controlled speed, I don't think they would have been in the news..
gabrielthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India tops global list of deaths in road accidents anujmishra The Indian Car Scene 84 19th November 2016 16:47
Road Accidents in Dubai - Pics Steeroid Shifting gears 143 28th April 2015 17:39
India to use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube to reduce fatal accidents mithun The Indian Car Scene 24 30th September 2009 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks