Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2015, 13:26   #16921
BHPian
 
E = mc˛'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Trivandrum/SG
Posts: 95
Thanked: 245 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Terrible loss, may his family and friends find strength to overcome it.

We have all been in that age - where adrenalin has the better of you - but the one thing fortunate people have is someone in the pack is sane and tells others to stop before it's too late.
In contrast, at occasions, having a mob of highly enthusiastic friends with you on your journey may intermittently invite more havoc than on a solo drive. Psyching up words from your pals to shrug off the limits and whiz past each digit of the speedometer is an alluring way of inviting disasters.

I happened to come across a rewarding quote by a fellow bhp'ian yesterday on some other thread, "Never fall into the encouraging words of your passengers and overstep your limit"
E = mc˛ is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 19:40   #16922
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,419
Thanked: 2,066 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Another crash on YEW on the year's first day. Some observations from various news reports -

- Joyride after a party - maybe intoxicated driver/pasengers
- 6 people in a 5 seater sedan. Looks like car in question is a Verna.
- Airbags/seatbelts saved *both* front occupants
- Rear passengers not belted up - 1 of them survived
- No fog factor

Name:  0c27edaa2a154a89babee1001d845605Wallpaper2.JPG
Views: 5348
Size:  82.3 KB

Name:  crashmain.jpg
Views: 5226
Size:  47.8 KB

Source/reports:
http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...s-on-new-year/
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle6747457.ece

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th January 2015 at 07:44.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 19:54   #16923
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,652
Thanked: 1,379 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

An accident involving Swift that rammed a parked truck :
http://www.gujaratsamachar.com/index...d-car-accident

The images are not for everybody, please take a note of that.

5 guys were going to Shirdi after their DJ party was successful. Speedometer was reportedly stuck at 120. All 5 died on the spot.

The way Spare wheel of truck came down, I am sure the rear under-run protection bar was absent. And 120 is way too high a speed for almost any car to rear end a stationary truck.

Image is taken from the link posted above.
Attached Images
 
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2015, 01:59   #16924
Senior - BHPian
 
myavu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi - Kochi
Posts: 1,063
Thanked: 554 Times
Angry re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
- Joyride after a party - maybe intoxicated driver/pasengers
- 6 people in a 5 seater hatch
- Airbags/seatbelts saved *both* front occupants
- Rear passengers not belted up - 1 of them survived
- No fog factor
4 ladies seated in the back seat of Hyundai Verna . Common sense inversely proportional to education
myavu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 12:32   #16925
BHPian
 
theredliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 479
Thanked: 787 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

After months of dodging dangers on the ORR, a lunatic(or 2) finally got me.

Today morning, when I was riding on ORR, a guy in an i20 overtook me from left at high speed, joined the lane I was in by cutting very close to me and hit the brakes suddenly. I had noticed a Chevy Spark tailgating me by now. So I tried to brake as soft as possible, but due to the ultra small gap created by the i20 guy, I had to go hard on the brakes to prevent collision. The guy in the Spark rear ended my bike at 35+ speed.

To my amazement, I didn't fall down. I didn't even lose balance. May be because I had anticipated the rear ending beforehand.
The Chevy was driven by the driver of a middle aged person. The owner came and apologized to me. I politely told him to teach his driver to maintain proper gaps and drive safe. The dumb driver didn't even have the courtesy to come out of the car. I noted down the number of Chevy but not posting it due to the owner.
I could not note down the number of i20. Anyway, what could I have done even if I had the number?

The thing I learned from this incident is, if you are driving in Indian cities, do not leave much gap between you and the vehicle in front. If you leave, morons will be there who will push themselves into that gap and make it dangerously small.

This sealed it for me. I will avoid ORR like plague from now on. I will leave home by 8 everyday and take interior roads.

PS The Chevy's bumper got a noticeable dent while only the reflector of my RTR's rear fender broke (Red circle in the reference pic below, taken from internet).

Name:  RTR.png
Views: 4636
Size:  211.9 KB

(Pic Source: http://www.dhakdhakgo.com/?p=597)

Last edited by theredliner : 5th January 2015 at 12:41.
theredliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 12:56   #16926
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,851
Thanked: 3,147 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
The thing I learned from this incident is, if you are driving in Indian cities, do not leave much gap between you and the vehicle in front. If you leave, morons will be there who will push themselves into that gap and make it dangerously small.
Your frustration is understandable, and I hope the quote above is just your frustration (and not your sane driving mind) talking. If you don't leave a good enough gap out in front, sooner or later you'll be looking at damage much more than a broken reflector. The solution to others making the gap dangerously small is not to make it so yourself. Patience is a rare commodity on Bangalore roads as is, please don't lose yours and join the gang you're trying to avoid.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th January 2015 at 12:58.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 13:11   #16927
BHPian
 
theredliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 479
Thanked: 787 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Your frustration is understandable, and I hope the quote above is just your frustration (and not your sane driving mind) talking. If you don't leave a good enough gap out in front, sooner or later you'll be looking at damage much more than a broken reflector. The solution to others making the gap dangerously small is not to make it so yourself. Patience is a rare commodity on Bangalore roads as is, please don't lose yours and join the gang you're trying to avoid.
Yes. I really wasn't serious about that statement. That post was a mixture of frustration and sarcasm
I was really shaken by that incident as this is the first time I got involved in an accident at a considerable speed.

This incident happened near the end of a curved underpass. Many BMTC buses and tempos give a stop right at the end of the underpass blocking the left and the middle lanes. Some people drive at high speeds in the blind curve only to see the blocked lanes and hit brakes at high speeds.

Unfortunately, the yellow boards are invisible to the authorities.

Off Topic: Recently, a Kannada news channel report showed a Volvo driver who was abused by a BMTC official when he reported about the brake malfunction that was reported by the MID. He was asked to continue driving that bus by that rude official. Such is the value given to the life of others on the street by the officials. I don't know what would have happened if it was one such malfunctioning Volvo which was behind me in the place of Spark.

Last edited by theredliner : 5th January 2015 at 13:16.
theredliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 10:25   #16928
Senior - BHPian
 
S2!!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,801
Thanked: 8,974 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

In a freak accident which took place in my building on Sunday, a tree took down two others and caused a lot of damage to property. Luckily no one was injured in the whole process.

This i20 was the most affected:
Pics: Accidents in India-img_20150106_090619.jpg

My car got a dent due to a branch of one of the trees:
Pics: Accidents in India-img_20150106_090509.jpg

Last edited by S2!!! : 6th January 2015 at 10:26.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 10:32   #16929
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 959
Thanked: 432 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
In a freak accident which took place in my building on Sunday, a tree took down two others and caused a lot of damage to property. Luckily no one was injured in the whole process.

This i20 was the most affected:
Attachment 1324717

My car got a dent due to a branch of one of the trees:
Attachment 1324718
Thank God no one was hurt. Just imagine what and how it would be, if someone was under that mammoth tree.
JoseVijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 10:51   #16930
BHPian
 
gurudutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 351
Thanked: 127 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
After months of dodging dangers on the ORR, a lunatic(or 2) finally got me.

Today morning, when I was riding on ORR, a guy in an i20 overtook me from left at high speed, joined the lane I was in by cutting very close to me and hit the brakes suddenly. I had noticed a Chevy Spark tailgating me by now. So I tried to brake as soft as possible, but due to the ultra small gap created by the i20 guy, I had to go hard on the brakes to prevent collision. The guy in the Spark rear ended my bike at 35+ speed.

To my amazement, I didn't fall down. I didn't even lose balance. May be because I had anticipated the rear ending beforehand.
The Chevy was driven by the driver of a middle aged person. The owner came and apologized to me. I politely told him to teach his driver to maintain proper gaps and drive safe. The dumb driver didn't even have the courtesy to come out of the car. I noted down the number of Chevy but not posting it due to the owner.
I could not note down the number of i20. Anyway, what could I have done even if I had the number?

The thing I learned from this incident is, if you are driving in Indian cities, do not leave much gap between you and the vehicle in front. If you leave, morons will be there who will push themselves into that gap and make it dangerously small.

This sealed it for me. I will avoid ORR like plague from now on. I will leave home by 8 everyday and take interior roads.

PS The Chevy's bumper got a noticeable dent while only the reflector of my RTR's rear fender broke (Red circle in the reference pic below, taken from internet).

Attachment 1324307

(Pic Source: http://www.dhakdhakgo.com/?p=597)

If you don't mind can i know on which lane you were and driving at what speeds. No offense to you here, but i used to drive on ORR regularly until recently (have started using the public transport now) and have noticed bikers riding at slow speeds on the right most or the middle lane and i have been forced to overtake them from the left at times after trying in vain to honk my way out.
gurudutt is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 11:19   #16931
BHPian
 
theredliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 479
Thanked: 787 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
If you don't mind can i know on which lane you were and driving at what speeds. No offense to you here, but i used to drive on ORR regularly until recently (have started using the public transport now) and have noticed bikers riding at slow speeds on the right most or the middle lane and i have been forced to overtake them from the left at times after trying in vain to honk my way out.
No offense taken.

I always ride in the left most lane if I'm riding <50. If I'm cruising around 50, I use left/middle lane depending on the traffic.

However, in this case, I was in the right lane for the following reasons,
1. At the end of the underpass, buses, tempos and cabs give a stop blocking the left and middle lane. Even if I take any of those two lanes, I need to come back to the right lane, creating an unwanted blockade.
2. Just ahead of the above mentioned stop point, there is a left turn which a lot of people use, which results in blockade of left and middle lanes again.

Due to the above two reasons, it is better for people going straight to use the right lane.

Also, I was doing somewhere in the 40-45 range, same as the car(not the i20) in front of me and I had maintained 2-3 car lengths of gap (before the i20 guy pushed himself in).
theredliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 15:01   #16932
BHPian
 
gurudutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 351
Thanked: 127 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
No offense taken.

I always ride in the left most lane if I'm riding <50. If I'm cruising around 50, I use left/middle lane depending on the traffic.

However, in this case, I was in the right lane for the following reasons,
1. At the end of the underpass, buses, tempos and cabs give a stop blocking the left and middle lane. Even if I take any of those two lanes, I need to come back to the right lane, creating an unwanted blockade.
2. Just ahead of the above mentioned stop point, there is a left turn which a lot of people use, which results in blockade of left and middle lanes again.

Due to the above two reasons, it is better for people going straight to use the right lane.

Also, I was doing somewhere in the 40-45 range, same as the car(not the i20) in front of me and I had maintained 2-3 car lengths of gap (before the i20 guy pushed himself in).
ORR has always been tricky for the following reasons.

1) Intermediate open stretches where people over speed, this specially is dangerous for 2 wheelers.
2) Traffic mix, all kinds of vehicles. I somehow feel some heavy vehicles still sneak in during peak hours. Lot more BMTC buses than any other road.
3) Menacing BMTC Volvos, road belongs to them attitude.
4) Long and unexpected traffic jams which makes people lose their cool and drive rash.
gurudutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 16:16   #16933
BHPian
 
venkyhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: hump city
Posts: 345
Thanked: 292 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
ORR has always been tricky for the following reasons.

1) Intermediate open stretches where people over speed, this specially is dangerous for 2 wheelers.
2) Traffic mix, all kinds of vehicles. I somehow feel some heavy vehicles still sneak in during peak hours. Lot more BMTC buses than any other road.
3) Menacing BMTC Volvos, road belongs to them attitude.
4) Long and unexpected traffic jams which makes people lose their cool and drive rash.
let me add one more :
5) bus stops exactly at the start and end of flyovers/underpasses => this is the most significant contributor to jams on the ORR. The original intent of the flyover is lost, we have bus stops exactly where traffic splits into two or joins as one.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 16:18   #16934
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,785
Thanked: 1,320 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Was witness to an accident on the Pen-Alibaug road on Sunday evening.

An i10 was behind a school/college bus, both moving at really slow speeds. The bus stops (not suddenly) due to some blockage in front of it. And from nowhere, this i10 goes vrooooooom and rear-ends the bus. The i10 was completely stuck under the rear bumper of the bus. The driver was trying to reverse the car, but all we could hear was the grinding noise of the engine.

Finally, the bus driver moved the bus ahead with some force and the car got detached from the bus. The i10 front was super damaged with all sorts of liquids leaking from the bonnet and all. Both the headlights had shattered and broken glass pieces were all over the road.

There were 2 ladies in the i10 who had started crying really loudly due to the sudden jerk their car received. Everyone could hear their cries. The passengers in the bus, mostly college boys, were really kind and considerate. All of them got down, made the driver pull over and helped the passengers of i10 come out. They gave them water and found a place for them to sit. I heard one chap asking the owner of the car regarding insurance number and all. So all in all, the help was there.
ajay_satpute is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 16:57   #16935
BHPian
 
mahesh_sn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 173
Thanked: 147 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Was witness to an accident on the Pen-Alibaug road on Sunday evening.

An i10 was behind a school/college bus, both moving at really slow speeds. The bus stops (not suddenly) due to some blockage in front of it. And from nowhere, this i10 goes vrooooooom and rear-ends the bus. The i10 was completely stuck under the rear bumper of the bus. The driver was trying to reverse the car, but all we could hear was the grinding noise of the engine.
By any chance, was one of the ladies was driving the i10? I had witnessed an accident where a lady driving her Brio rammed her car into another one when, in panic, she pressed accelarator instead of brake pedal to slow down/stop her car. Ladies were fortunate that this happened at slow speed and immediate help was available.
mahesh_sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India tops global list of deaths in road accidents anujmishra The Indian Car Scene 84 19th November 2016 16:47
Road Accidents in Dubai - Pics Steeroid Shifting gears 143 28th April 2015 17:39
India to use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube to reduce fatal accidents mithun The Indian Car Scene 24 30th September 2009 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:29.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks