Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2015, 14:30   #18586
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,434
Thanked: 780 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm certainly not asking anybody to to go through 18,000-plus posts before adding to this thread, but I have an idea: when people notice a repeat, perhaps it could be reported to the mods who might take the decision to delete it?

Just an idea.
In this case, the repeat has new photo - front view of the accident.
msdivy is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 16:46   #18587
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,471
Thanked: 4,052 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Street racing and biker stunts claims another victim in Bangalore.

Biker-doing-a-wheelie-kills-70-year-old

I would not be sad if the biker had died instead of the innocent victim.
These bikers are an absolute nuisance and are a danger on our already pathetic roads.
This is becoming a menace across Bangalore. Lunatics have no sense when they perform such stupid things on road endangering others' lives as they have no respect for their own lives or others.

Some harsh (real harsh to hit them where it hurts) punishment should be introduced to cut this menace.
nkrishnap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 17:23   #18588
BHPian
 
Divya Sharan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore, BKSC
Posts: 336
Thanked: 531 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Street racing and biker stunts claims another victim in Bangalore.

Biker-doing-a-wheelie-kills-70-year-old

I would not be sad if the biker had died instead of the innocent victim.
These bikers are an absolute nuisance and are a danger on our already pathetic roads.
Really sad state of affairs. But what I don't understand is why would the police reject residents' claims of the offenders stunting!

From the source link:
Police officers rejected claims by residents that the bikers were wheeling. They said the speeding biker suddenly braked in front of the victim and collided into him.
Divya Sharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 18:04   #18589
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 256
Thanked: 155 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

One thing is for sure, these guys who do this stunt have a pattern of performing these acts on the roads. If I were a cop, I will know it in my veins, the issue is about the will to apprehend these goons and the issue of sensitivity associated with it on various lines.
mazda4life is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 18:25   #18590
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 2,152
Thanked: 1,180 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Amazed that our 'responsible' media has not once mentioned that community elders can play a carrot and stick role and influence these behaviours. How much can the police do?
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 21:25   #18591
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 35
Thanked: 76 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR-06 View Post
Came across these pics on FB. Judging from the upload date, the accident seems to have taken place in the month of march:

Attachment 1410349

Attachment 1410351

Attachment 1410352
I think the law is the biggest culprit of rising accident death trend in India since
  • Bull bars and reflectors are seen on very few heavy vehicles
  • People drive carelessly, that is, they do not follow speed limits and
  • roads are not properly planned and built

This in turn is a major cause of loss of lives of innocent people

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th September 2015 at 08:22. Reason: Removing unwanted spacing.
technicalytuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2015, 22:41   #18592
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,250 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

I think you meant "under run protection bars"
Bull bars, on their own are capable of turning simple mishaps into major ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicalytuned View Post
I think the law is the biggest culprit of rising accident death trend in India since[list]
[*]Bull bars and reflectors are seen on very few heavy vehicles

This in turn is a major cause of loss of lives of innocent people
khoj is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2015, 23:56   #18593
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 35
Thanked: 76 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I think you meant "under run protection bars"
Bull bars, on their own are capable of turning simple mishaps into major ones.
Yes I meant "under run protection bar" and got a little confused with it. Thank You for correcting me.
technicalytuned is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 05:57   #18594
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sudev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,447
Thanked: 1,979 Times
Default

The bus had proper reflective tapes. But they would come into play if the accident was at night AND driver was alert. In early morning (dawn) scenario a combination of tiredness and low efficacy of reflective tapes is problem scenario.
Old drivers would always say dawn and dusk are periods to slow down. Even if you are alert vision has low depth of field recognition and colour contrast becomes poor.

Last edited by sudev : 6th September 2015 at 06:04.
sudev is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 09:59   #18595
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,505
Thanked: 3,522 Times
Default

Ok, this is not an accident picture, but rather an accident waiting to happen. Let me explain: couple of us went for a breakfast ride via Hoskote to IPC this morning and while we were waiting for our orders to arrive, saw this bunch of kids (and some not so kids) standing around and cheering two nincompoops racing on the HYD highway on their Dukes. Later they all gathered around to take a group picture. Look where the photographers are standing - on the highway! Just waiting to get run over!

Pics: Accidents in India-imageuploadedbyteambhp1441513695.137804.jpg

Pics: Accidents in India-imageuploadedbyteambhp1441513718.137612.jpg

They called themselves Team GTB (Goldtown Bikers).
IronH4WK is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 11:01   #18596
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sudev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,447
Thanked: 1,979 Times
Default

.....and that looks like a cop in mid foreground in the first picture!!!
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 11:07   #18597
Senior - BHPian
 
Soumyajit9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 10010
Posts: 1,509
Thanked: 1,653 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
.....and that looks like a cop in mid foreground in the first picture!!!
That is the regular security guy hired by the outlet. He is no cop and doesn't have any right to police people. He can only request people to be careful.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 11:37   #18598
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli/Gurgao
Posts: 2,625
Thanked: 1,169 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
^^ My god, this is a scary. The strange part is, I do not see any tyre marks indicating hard braking, which means the driver must have slept and gone straight into the bus at a very high speed ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
If that is the case, may be there would have been side impact. This is a perfect case of tailgating at very high speeds...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
...Looks like driver was sleeping behind the wheel.

I do not see any brakes marks. Looking at the depth "penetration" this is most likely cause.

Could ABS be the cause for this absence of brake marks even when driver applied brakes? Even if so I would have expected some angle to impact alignment as the driver tried steering "away" to save.
Pics: Accidents in India-img20150323wa0008.jpg

Pics: Accidents in India-img20150323wa0009.jpg

If not tyre marks, what are these patches? They do look like tyre marks to me.

Have you ever been in a situation where you are blissfully driving in the right lane (even within the prescribed speed limits of 60-80 kmph on major roads/highways), and a bus or a truck in the left lane decides to ignore your presence and your signals and your honks and decides to occupy the right lane for their own perverse reasons? We do not reduce speed till the last moment trying to discourage the heavy vehicle driver from entering the right lane - in most cases the driver backs off. Where he decides to be obstinate, this is what could happen. The bus is clearly at an angle to the right-most kerb, which indicates it may not have been going straight ahead of the car. It could be moving from the left lane to the right one and could have disregarded the warnings of the car driver. The car driver might not have anticipated this and carried on without braking, only to realize at the very end that the bus driver didn't intend to back off, and rammed into the bus. This is another possibility as against the driver having dozed off.

Once again, an appeal to all: We weren't there, we do not "know" what happened. Please desist from making comments such as "clear case of xyz" when we are only looking at photos of what happened. Some may claim that reconstructing an accident is an exact science but I am sure none of us practise it or can practise it without access to eyewitnesses, victims and other forensic data.


Quote:
Originally Posted by architkarpe View Post
... People taking a car for a wash in the beach. Trying to drive through water without knowing the depth. These are some of the picture i was able to capture. Seeing them happening is a different scene altogether...
I chuckled to see those photos, although the owners surely haven't! Can you explain the burning car, by the way? It seems just a bit weird to see a vehicle burning right by the sea shore.
honeybee is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 13:06   #18599
Senior - BHPian
 
carwatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bardez, Goa
Posts: 1,185
Thanked: 996 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Police have to deal with various reactions towards the Superbikers which definitely affects their morale.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3734231 (Chennai Riders stripped to underpants in Police Station)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
Really sad state of affairs. But what I don't understand is why would the police reject residents' claims of the offenders stunting!

From the source link:
Police officers rejected claims by residents that the bikers were wheeling. They said the speeding biker suddenly braked in front of the victim and collided into him.
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 13:39   #18600
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,688
Thanked: 6,838 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Have you ever been in a situation where you are blissfully driving in the right lane (even within the prescribed speed limits of 60-80 kmph on major roads/highways), and a bus or a truck in the left lane decides to ignore your presence and your signals and your honks and decides to occupy the right lane for their own perverse reasons? We do not reduce speed till the last moment trying to discourage the heavy vehicle driver from entering the right lane
Doesn't sound very blissful to me!

Quote:
- in most cases the driver backs off. Where he decides to be obstinate, this is what could happen. The bus is clearly at an angle to the right-most kerb, which indicates it may not have been going straight ahead of the car. It could be moving from the left lane to the right one and could have disregarded the warnings of the car driver. The car driver might not have anticipated this and carried on without braking ...
Is that a junction just ahead? The bus might have been turning right. Why is the car driver approaching the junction, at speed, in the right-hand lane?

Quote:
Once again, an appeal to all: We weren't there, we do not "know" what happened. Please desist from making comments such as "clear case of xyz" when we are only looking at photos of what happened. Some may claim that reconstructing an accident is an exact science but I am sure none of us practise it or can practise it without access to eyewitnesses, victims and other forensic data.
It is, indeed all guesswork, although some cases, even from the photos, are more clear-cut than others.

I do agree that this thread sometimes becomes a thread where everybody has to air their own pet theory, and it is just wasted space of hot-air speculation. Maybe I, too, just did that!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India tops global list of deaths in road accidents anujmishra The Indian Car Scene 84 19th November 2016 16:47
Road Accidents in Dubai - Pics Steeroid Shifting gears 143 28th April 2015 17:39
India to use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube to reduce fatal accidents mithun The Indian Car Scene 24 30th September 2009 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks