Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2016, 11:17   #20221
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,000
Thanked: 2,012 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
There is now a ruling saying that anyone who photographs an accident without offering help to the victims, is subject to legal proceedings.
Good law, high time too!!! Should put an end to the idiots who click selfies with accident victims, crashed vehicles and dying people or animals in the background.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2016, 12:44   #20222
Newbie
 
bugatti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: bangalore
Posts: 21
Thanked: 2 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Coming towards city on kanakpura road(the divider section a few km before Metro) today morning around 3.45am, saw an accident that had occurred a few minutes earlier. Sorry, no pictures. A black chevrolet optra had crossed over the divider and hit a tipper truck(possibly parked). A few people were carrying a girl over and a guy was lying next to the car. Enough people had stopped to handle the situation.

Returned half hour later, the car had been pushed to the side of the road, the scene was cleared. Was told the guy(driver) was dead. No idea about the girl. Checking the number plate on the RTO site, the car was registered to an Iranian.
bugatti is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2016, 14:25   #20223
BHPian
 
shady_lawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 158
Thanked: 287 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_GHY View Post
Updates on the case:
One question here. Can a Driving License for LMV vehicles be issued to a person below 18 years in India? In none of the earlier cases, he has been charged with driving without license but merely over speeding or a parking ticket.
The ToI (Delhi Edition-Dated 10/04/2016) reports that the driver of the vehicle was found in possession of a forged Delhi University ID Card declaring his age to be 19 years. It is therefore entirely within the realm of possibility that a fake/forged drivers license might have been procured. We should await the outcome of the police investigation. In another update the father of the driver was sent to 1 day police custody by the Court today.
shady_lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2016, 14:55   #20224
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,000
Thanked: 2,012 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_lawyer View Post
The ToI (Delhi Edition-Dated 10/04/2016) reports that the driver of the vehicle was found in possession of a forged Delhi University ID Card declaring his age to be 19 years. It is therefore entirely within the realm of possibility that a fake/forged drivers license might have been procured. We should await the outcome of the police investigation. In another update the father of the driver was sent to 1 day police custody by the Court today.
Aah!! Nice. Now government should arrest the driver and try him as an adult. He is 19 is he not? Let the crook dad run pillar and post to prove his son is underage. If he proves, promptly arrest the dad and jail him for wantonly breaking the law, and murder...
Let the nation watch some father son love and sacrifice..
apachelongbow is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 07:24   #20225
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,925
Thanked: 1,151 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
I was there at the spot in the morning. These guys tried to cross the twin tracks and climb the hillock to take pictures of the sholey hills in the background. However the 4x4 was stuck on the first track due to loose rocks. Such a marvelous jeep knocked out by the slow moving train. The railway station is very near to the accident spot, that is the reason the train slowed down.
Nowadays stupidity has no bounds: Taking Selfies, Parking vehicles on tracks for photo shoot, making kids sit on the lap of the driver while in car.. and the list goes on.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 07:54   #20226
Distinguished - BHPian
 
hemanth.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,136
Thanked: 5,815 Times
Default

just now saw an accident on NECE road near Bhannerghatta road junction.
it involved 3 cars-A figo, A chevy and a etios taxi.
Looked like the Figo has hit the Enjoy from behind and went inside the centre median/drain. Figo had suffered major frontal damage and the Chevy had a big rear damage
The etios had minimal damages on the driver side front fender. May be he was the third car and just missed avoiding a collision.
Or may be the collision of etios and to the figo would've pushed the figo into the median.
High speed, tailgating and bad surface may be the obvious reasons behind the accident.
couple of ambulances were arriving when we saw.
couple of people in the vehicles who were in shock were attended to by army personnel who were passing by in the army trucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Accidents in India-1460341411202.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-1460341429947.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-1460341445156.jpg  

hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 08:26   #20227
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 2,273
Thanked: 2,673 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Regarding the vintage jeep that was hit by the train.

In most of these cases, the people in the car panic. There is nothing more intimidating than a train approaching and your on its track. I don't think it was stuck due to loose stones unless it had crossed the track where there was no path made to cross at all.
Looks like the owner waited for the train to get closer to get the shot and then panicked when he had seen the train closer. In a situation like that, coordination goes out of the window.
Also the loco pilot seems to have started braking when he saw the Jeep on the tracks, otherwise that jeep's parts would have been hanging off the trees nearby.

Either ways he could have still got a good shot by just parking the Jeep much before the tracks, selfie or whatever.

With the advancement of technology, the human mind has taken equal steps backwards.

Last edited by tharian : 11th April 2016 at 08:27.
tharian is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 08:32   #20228
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: London
Posts: 417
Thanked: 482 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
High speed, tailgating and bad surface may be the obvious reasons behind the accident.
The speed limit on the NICE road has been increased to 120 KMPH. As you said, NICE road now has very bad surface, tailgating, truck changing lanes suddenly at very low speed, cars zigzagging, couples, photos enthusiast parking haphazardly and racers. All these people make NICE road a nightmare to manage some times.

Took NICE road 6 times in last 10 days and saw 4 accidents. Its not at all a safe road anymore. Its best to drive very carefully on the NICE Road.

Regards
chandrda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 09:15   #20229
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,217
Thanked: 4,856 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Looked like the Figo has hit the Enjoy from behind and went inside the centre median/drain. Figo had suffered major frontal damage and the Chevy had a big rear damage
The etios had minimal damages on the driver side front fender. May be he was the third car and just missed avoiding a collision.
Or may be the collision of etios and to the figo would've pushed the figo into the median.
Shocked to see how the Enjoy has been damaged. The damage has reached all the way to the B-Pillar. If a Figo has the ability to cause so much damage, I wonder how safe occupants in the middle and last row are in this car. I see these enjoys being driven like crazy shuttling company employees.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 09:54   #20230
BHPian
 
virgopal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore,Mysore
Posts: 185
Thanked: 78 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

11 killed in road accident in Vizag dt.
VISAKHAPATNAM, April 11, 2016
Eleven persons, including nine of two closely-related families, were killed on the spot when the car they were travelling in rammed into a heavy-duty trailer coming in the opposite direction in the other lane, near Vedullapalem Junction of Nakkapalli mandal in Visakhapatnam district on Sunday.

The deceased were identified as Edalaru Sreenu (40), his wife Devi (30), mother-in-law Venkatlakshmi (65), eldest son Sai (10), second son Pavan (8), daughter Durga Aparna (6), Kadiyam Padma (35), sister-in-law of Sreenu, her eldest son Kumar (19) and daughter Sai (17). The other two persons who died and were not part of the family were D. Chiranjeevi Raju (40) and his son Sagar Varma (10).

According to Yellamanchili CI K. Venkat Rao, the nine members of the families were travelling from their residence at Gopalapatnam in Visakhapatnam to Talupullamma Talli temple in Lova in East Godavari district.

At about 10 a.m. the front right tyre of the car burst suddenly, and unable to control, Sreenu, who was driving the car, shot over the divider and rammed into mid-section of the heavy duty trailer that was coming from the East Godavari side to Visakhapatnam, in the other lane. All the nine died on the spot and it took about two hours for the police team to lift the trailer and clear the debris.

The father and son duo was riding a scooter behind the trailer. They rammed into the trailer as the driver of the trailer applied emergency brakes and swerved to the left to avoid hitting the car.

While Sagar Varma died on the spot, his father Chiranjeevi died on the way to hospital. Chiranjeevi is an employee of Hetero Drugs and is a resident of Nakkapalli.

The family of Sreenu, who are carpenters, had acquired the car a few weeks ago and were on their way to the temple to fulfil a vow.

District Collector of Visakhapatnam N. Yuvaraj told The Hindu that the Chief Minister had asked him to file a report. Compensation would be announced soon.

The Collector and Commissioner of Police Amit Garg visited the bereaved family.
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle8459299.ece
...Tyre burst incidents are ever increasing on highways.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by virgopal : 11th April 2016 at 10:09.
virgopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 09:56   #20231
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,153
Thanked: 10,207 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
couple of people in the vehicles who were in shock were attended to by army personnel who were passing by in the army trucks.
As I was reading your post early morning, a colleague who takes NICE to work came to my desk to meet me for Breakfast and said there was an accident and I showed him this post and he was like !!

So, that was indeed super quick update from you.

Then we went to the Maruti ASC and met the Works Manager who also spoke about the accident as he too takes NICE every day to their EC workshop and said that this convoy is a regular affair as they travel from Karwar to some location in TN (Not sure) and he also mentioned that KA30 Registered enjoy was hence part of the convoy and escorting these Army trucks.

Not sure how much of that information is true.

However, NICE/NECE remains one of the most dangerous roads and you have already posted 2 accidents in a week's time!
paragsachania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 12:15   #20232
BHPian
 
DWind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 774
Thanked: 168 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Regarding the vintage jeep that was hit by the train.
Was the jeep owner trying to cross the track where there was no level crossing. If so, then he should also be charged for damage to railway property. In their attempt to cross the tracks, I am sure they would have damaged the ballast packaging (even if he was successful to cross the tracks) thereby increasing the shock-waves sent to the ground and can also cause potential damage to permanent way.
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 12:25   #20233
Distinguished - BHPian
 
hemanth.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,136
Thanked: 5,815 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
The speed limit on the NICE road has been increased to 120 KMPH. As you said, NICE road now has very bad surface, tailgating, truck changing lanes suddenly at very low speed, cars zigzagging, couples, photos enthusiast parking haphazardly and racers. All these people make NICE road a nightmare to manage some times.
Yes, it is not at all capable of handling vehicle speeds of 120Kmph.
I drive on the NECE road mostly 1 or 2 days a week. Rest of the times, I take my company cab.
For the first two weeks after the speed limit was revised, I tried cruising at 120Kmph.
Although my car was comfortable, It was a risky speed. After that, whenever I have driven, I've cruised at 100Kmph.
Earlier when the limit was 80Kmph, most of the times I used to cruise at 100Kmph.
Even though it was a safe speed, there was some guilt involved. Now its guilt-free and safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Shocked to see how the Enjoy has been damaged. The damage has reached all the way to the B-Pillar. If a Figo has the ability to cause so much damage, I wonder how safe occupants in the middle and last row are in this car. I see these enjoys being driven like crazy shuttling company employees.
Yes, Enjoy doesn't look safe to me at all-from these pictures at least.
But who knows what were the speeds an dynamics involved in the collision.

All said and done, I agree that just the sheet metal thickness is not a measure of how safe the car is, but majority of the current generation cars with thin sheet metal bodies just don't give me enough confidence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
As I was reading your post early morning, a colleague who takes NICE to work came to my desk to meet me for Breakfast and said there was an accident and I showed him this post and he was like !!

So, that was indeed super quick update from you.
I had the same experience in my office during breakfast
That's the advantage of travelling in the company cab. I took the photo and started typing on my phone and before reaching office, it was on TBHP!

When I'm driving myself, I rarely take pictures.
In cases where I get an opportunity of taking pictures, I do not get time to type a message. So, they hardly come up on TBHP

Quote:
Then we went to the Maruti ASC and met the Works Manager who also spoke about the accident as he too takes NICE every day to their EC workshop and said that this convoy is a regular affair as they travel from Karwar to some location in TN (Not sure) and he also mentioned that KA30 Registered enjoy was hence part of the convoy and escorting these Army trucks.

Not sure how much of that information is true.
May be true, because one other colleague of mine told me that he saw a red flag on one of the three vehicles.

True or false, I have seen that this army convoy moves in the fast lane (Right most lane) at 20Kmph!
The first time I saw that, I was shocked, I had expected better driving discipline form the armed forces.
But then, we are all Indians-So I just added this to my "Watch-out-for" list


Quote:
However, NICE/NECE remains one of the most dangerous roads and you have already posted 2 accidents in a week's time!
A couple more of the usual 'sleeping truck' incidents have gone un-posted
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 13:15   #20234
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 138
Thanked: 34 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
True or false, I have seen that this army convoy moves in the fast lane (Right most lane) at 20Kmph!
The first time I saw that, I was shocked, I had expected better driving discipline form the armed forces.
But then, we are all Indians-So I just added this to my "Watch-out-for" list
Army convoy has the right of way, as they cannot move in and out of the fast lane. Also, weaving in and out due to vehicles slower than the convoys only impede the regular movement of the traffic. And they have to be on alert at all times, keeping in sight of each others.

Having said about that, I once gave a lift to a policeman who was rushing to Hosur to escort a huge convoy of (40 nos) trucks carrying spirits. Sad part is, it is being escorted by just 2 cops without any advanced surveillance or protection systems. The theft of such loaded vehicles are very high, and hence the state cops give protection (on paper at least) from border to border.

Now you can imagine why they don't want to lose sight of vehicles.

Let's just share the road.
sgmitr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 13:38   #20235
BHPian
 
n_naik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 155
Thanked: 118 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
and said that this convoy is a regular affair as they travel from Karwar to some location in TN (Not sure) and he also mentioned that KA30 Registered enjoy was hence part of the convoy and escorting these Army trucks.

Not sure how much of that information is true.
I have seen such convoys last year between Tumkur and Bangalore. A confidential and sensitive equipment (nuclear powerplant related) was being transported from Kaiga nuclear power station (located near Karwar) in a truck and there were atleast 4-5 KA30 registered cars/ertigas infront/behind that vehicle. That day i couldnt find out where they were headed to.
n_naik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India tops global list of deaths in road accidents anujmishra The Indian Car Scene 84 19th November 2016 16:47
Road Accidents in Dubai - Pics Steeroid Shifting gears 143 28th April 2015 17:39
India to use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube to reduce fatal accidents mithun The Indian Car Scene 24 30th September 2009 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks