Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2016, 14:16   #20626
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,250 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

There is no actual rule that prohibits the trucks from driving on any particular lane. Legally trucks have as much right to be on any lane as any of us. In a court of law, guidelines do not stick and heavy vehicles keep to the left is exactly that.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 15:07   #20627
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,310
Thanked: 1,539 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I can't speak about the location. However; at 5min15sec, there is an accident involving a Tractor and what looks like a Innova. At the intersection, the Tractor cuts across, Innova coming from the opposite direction is at speed and ram. Innova takes a spin and falls off the highway. Tractor chap jumps off his moving tractor and runs off. The tractor and trailer roll off the highway too. You have to deal with these guys on your daily commute to work and they put lives at risk on the highway.

I know there are consequences when you commit a mistake. Atleast when you know you are at fault, help the victims.
I was shocked by two things from the 9 minute-something video

1) Silly road manners from bus drivers / two wheeler riders & over speeding of cars
2) Complete lack of empathy & humanity in most cases

In general, not many people got down from their car to even see if the people were ok. And I realized, I would probably do the same too, and maybe pray that all those involved get well soon.

Note to Self
- Praying for the well being of an accident victim doesn't count.. God doesn't work that way. Next time you see someone in such a state, Stop , react and then act !
aravind.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 15:37   #20628
Senior - BHPian
 
sajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,525
Thanked: 709 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Pune based industrialist DS Kulkarni (Better known as DSK), promoter of DSK Hyosung and Benelli , as well as a host of other business, including a well known Toyota dealership , was seriously injured in a car accident yesterday near Khandala on the MPEW.

Link to News Article in Marathi and picture courtesy

Name:  accident4.jpg
Views: 5480
Size:  75.5 KB

^^ If this can happen to a Landcruiser, I am wondering what would have happened to lesser vehicles...
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 16:40   #20629
Senior - BHPian
 
KiloAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cubicle
Posts: 1,229
Thanked: 1,388 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Here is the same accident, covered in Mid Day:

http://www.mid-day.com/articles/pune...-dies/17274168
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 18:35   #20630
BHPian
 
Swapnil_Alto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: JH 01/WB 02
Posts: 125
Thanked: 207 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Saw an accident recently at Ranchi, on the way to Pithoria from Kanke. A new Maruti Swift lost control and ended up over the divider. According to a passer-by who witnessed the accident told that the car was coming in high speed and was unable to take the turning, rammed on the side railing and then went over the divider. What I saw was the Swift suffered a broken front bumper and headlight, right tyre was flat and I guess the coolant chamber broke(don't remember it properly). Thankfully, all the occupants were safe. Was unable to take pictures properly as when I reached, the cops came and the place was too crowded.

In the second picture, my Alto is visible at the left corner. The Swift's tyre marks were exactly there. That's where the car hit first.


Pics: Accidents in India-img_0058.jpg

Pics: Accidents in India-img_0057.jpg
Swapnil_Alto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 19:14   #20631
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 811
Thanked: 255 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...ambad-highway/

Grizzly accident.

Even if the car wasn't sandwiched, there would have been an accident between the two trucks. Even if the car wasn't hit by truck, it would have gone and hit the oncoming truck.

Very sad.
simplyself is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 19:20   #20632
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,311
Thanked: 679 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...ambad-highway/

Grizzly accident.

Even if the car wasn't sandwiched, there would have been an accident between the two trucks. Even if the car wasn't hit by truck, it would have gone and hit the oncoming truck.

Very sad.
This was the same video that was discussed a few posts back

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3982293
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 19:54   #20633
BHPian
 
sandsun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 755
Thanked: 567 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Your comment reminds me of the phrase "only paranoid survive". If there is any chance of reducing probability of an accident, please do it. This might mean parking few yards away and walking extra steps or waiting at an unmanned junction for few more seconds and reaching the destination few seconds late.
This particular spot is not really an accident spot. The road shoulder is very wide and there is enough space for a bus to park off the road.
sandsun7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2016, 11:25   #20634
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Sick accident on Chennai-Thirutani highway
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Accidents in India-1464328471990.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-1464328488800.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-1464328505320.jpg  

msrajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2016, 13:09   #20635
BHPian
 
GKR9900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: EKM/Thrissur
Posts: 315
Thanked: 599 Times
Default

Another unfortunate incident involving yours truly(Looks like I'm quite the favorite for these things recently).

Today morning, I was off to work travelling along Thrissur Shornur road. At a place called Valapaya there's a small junction with an adjoining bus stop. Traffic had come to halt for a few seconds. After a while, traffic had begun moving. I had accelerated to about 15-20kph when the cars in front of me braked suddenly for reasons unknown. I too braked hard and came to a stop just behind this i10 that was ahead of me. To my horror when I looked at the IRVM, I could see this autorickshaw coming at a good pace, braking very late and BAM! He rear ended me and my car plunged forwards rear ending the i10 in front. All three vehicles pulled over and I got out with a broken heart. I had got my priced possession painted and polished for all the minor scratches just a few weeks back. Now this happens!

I checked out the damage at the rear end. The boot took the brunt. There were visible dents and scratches all over the boot lid. The autorickshaw was carrying some concrete pipes on top, which slid forward under sudden deceleration , and fell on top of my boot. It had just missed my rear windshield! There was a dent on top of the left tail light as well. The bumper also had some dents and scratches. The tail lights, indicators , reverse light and reverse camera were working. As for the i10, it's bumper had an impression of my number plate pressed into it. My own number plate was bent. Pics: Accidents in India-1464334644133.jpg

Pics: Accidents in India-1464334560794.jpg

Pics: Accidents in India-1464334539193.jpg

Pics: Accidents in India-1464334519347.jpg

Now the autorickshaw driver, contrary to what I was expecting, came out in full apology. He accepted it was his mistake and was ready to make amends. He seems to have had a whiplash as well, along with some minor bruises to his legs. I made sure he was ok. To tell the truth, I was literally in pieces watching my beautiful car lie suffering like that. But I couldn't get myself to be angry, especially because the auto guy had accepted his mistake. Besides, I was not so sure that it was entirely his mistake. Of course, you shouldn't be tailgating a car, but the whole sequence of events unfolded with a sudden braking much ahead of my car, and that too for unknown causes. I really was in a dilemma. I know the repairs are going to burn a hole through my pocket. I didn't want to blackmail the guy into paying me that amount. It just didn't feel right. So I asked him to do what he can and that I'm not going to bargain with him. I also called friends of mine who rushed to the spot. The auto guy told that he can cough up about 2000 Rs. We agreed on that and took off. The i10 driver said he will repair his damage himself.

I'm still in pain. I'm worried about my repair bills, especially because I'm running a bit tight on funds right now. But stuff like this happens, I guess I should just accept it and move on.
GKR9900 is offline   (18) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2016, 13:21   #20636
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulkool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,250
Thanked: 484 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Now the autorickshaw driver, contrary to what I was expecting, came out in full apology. He accepted it was his mistake and was ready to make amends. He seems to have had a whiplash as well, along with some minor bruises to his legs. I made sure he was ok. To tell the truth, I was literally in pieces watching my beautiful car lie suffering like that. But I couldn't get myself to be angry, especially because the auto guy had accepted his mistake. Besides, I was not so sure that it was entirely his mistake. Of course, you shouldn't be tailgating a car, but the whole sequence of events unfolded with a sudden braking much ahead of my car, and that too for unknown causes. I really was in a dilemma. I know the repairs are going to burn a hole through my pocket. I didn't want to blackmail the guy into paying me that amount. It just didn't feel right. So I asked him to do what he can and that I'm not going to bargain with him. I also called friends of mine who rushed to the spot. The auto guy told that he can cough up about 2000 Rs. We agreed on that and took off. The i10 driver said he will repair his damage himself.

I'm still in pain. I'm worried about my repair bills, especially because I'm running a bit tight on funds right now. But stuff like this happens, I guess I should just accept it and move on.
You did the right thing mate, there is not point in arguing and fighting, we need more people like you on the road. Whatever has happened can not be reversed. I can understand the pain of looking at your ride in this condition . I am sure it will be back to showroom condition after repairs
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2016, 13:22   #20637
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 317
Thanked: 408 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Another unfortunate incident involving yours truly(Looks like I'm quite the favorite for these things recently)..
This looks like some simple but a pocket burner! Good you were able to take the impact and handle you VW better and not create more impact on i10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
for the i10, it's bumper had an impression of my number plate pressed into it.
on a lighter note, hope the i10 doesn't continue using your number
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2016, 13:46   #20638
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli/Gurgao
Posts: 2,602
Thanked: 1,120 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Here is the same accident, covered in Mid Day:

http://www.mid-day.com/articles/pune...-dies/17274168
The article mentions that the builder intends to seek justice for the dead driver.

Let's just hope traffic safety is improved because of this. The barriers need to actually arrest an out of control vehicle and heavy vehicles must absolutely ply on the left most lane and within the speed limits.

With the recent drive aagainst lane cutting on the e way concluded, it is back to the chaotic traffic, it seems.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2016, 14:00   #20639
BHPian
 
AnniHilat0R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 232
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The article mentions that the builder intends to seek justice for the dead driver.

Let's just hope traffic safety is improved because of this. The barriers need to actually arrest an out of control vehicle and heavy vehicles must absolutely ply on the left most lane and within the speed limits.

With the recent drive aagainst lane cutting on the e way concluded, it is back to the chaotic traffic, it seems.
I had passed the accident site that night and multiple cars were involved in it. Apparently the truckie managed to drive away, I dont know how as the article says that the truck had barged into the oncoming lane. Anyways, but the people on the site were saying that he evaded.

I have been travelling on the eway quite a lot these days due to work commitments and at night time its an absolute pain. Not only do these truckies drive like lunatics hogging all the lanes, but people to avoid them overtake blindly without any sense. With the onset of rains around the corner not to mention the lane closure due to the reinforcement work against land slides, this is going to get worst. Somebody on eway thread mentioned that the heavy vehicles should be allowed only on the Old Mumbai-Pune highway, which to me is the most sensible solution to this. Eway late in the night has become a horrible driving experience.
AnniHilat0R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2016, 15:10   #20640
BHPian
 
centaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: --
Posts: 627
Thanked: 657 Times
Default re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Here is the same accident, covered in Mid Day:

http://www.mid-day.com/articles/pune...-dies/17274168
An unfortunate accident.

The article says that the driver was working for him as a driver for the last 22 years and the article also says his age was 37 which means, he started driving for DSK at 15 years of age?

The reporter/editor has not even taken care to proof read the article. The first line itself has two glaring mistakes

Quote:
The incident took place at near the Khanadala exist of the E-way on Wednesday around 11 pm.
Khanadala? Exist?
centaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India tops global list of deaths in road accidents anujmishra The Indian Car Scene 84 19th November 2016 16:47
Road Accidents in Dubai - Pics Steeroid Shifting gears 143 28th April 2015 17:39
India to use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube to reduce fatal accidents mithun The Indian Car Scene 24 30th September 2009 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks