Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2009, 16:19   #2056
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -
Posts: 4,693
Thanked: 3,576 Times
Default

skodas are well built and safe to travel in.

but if you hit a truck at 170 kmph, then you know what happens.

even people in German cars are killed going at high speeds. go to Wrecked Exotic Cars - Pictures of Expensive Car Crashes and Wrecks and search the "bad wrecks" section to see those pics.

like: http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newpho...d/bad942.shtml
Attached Images
 

Last edited by sidindica : 12th April 2009 at 16:24.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 16:32   #2057
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,593
Thanked: 3,310 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Drinking and driving will certainly lead to this! Even though I feel sorry for the parents, good that no one else was affected!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
To me it looks like another drunk rich kids case.

May there soul RIP
Honestly, TILL there's documentary evidence that they were incapacitated by the drinks - the least we can do is not to pass such armchair callous remarks - we were NOT there. Most media reports are too shrill and out of breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
airbags are no use without seat belts. Besides, no one is invinsible in a skoda, safer yes, immortal no
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
The built of the vehicle is definitely better than others that we have on Indian roads, but then everything has its limits.

Push it beyond that only if you crazy!

Looking at the photos, what hell of speed where they doing? If the Laura itself took this beating, and still has one person alive, with any other vehicle it would have been a sure death case for this third person also if they were in any other vehicles!
My humble submission is just one - I commute there daily, and almost always at 100-120 speeds (the expressway is truly that good) unless there are jams. Every once a week, I see someone who either changes lanes or just brakes arbitly in the middle of traffic and just generally poses a severe safety risk to others.

Till we don't know, its tough to surmise. It may have been that minute fraction of a second more of reaction time which did them in (cruising at 100+ speeds doesn't give much margin for error) - may have been an overtaking maneuver which went bad - could've been anything.

The forum is full of BHPians who do triple digit speeds regularly. At those speeds (heck even at 80+), a fraction of a second separates life and death.

While we must be safe, be defensive etc - let's not indulge in armchair analysis which serve no purpose, and which assume (even indirectly) that the deceased went beyond their limits - till we have evidence. They are not around to answer for themselves - the least we can do is not to disrespect their memory coldly.

PS: Not intended at anyone - am also disturbed by incident in prev post of mine.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 17:22   #2058
Senior - BHPian
 
trrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Alleppey, Kerala
Posts: 2,113
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Well the airbags did deploy but they burst with the impact as has been reported in TV and Hindustan Times Delhi edition.I wonder how can airbags burst?
The airbags are built to do just that. On sensing an impact, they are deployed preventing the belted occupants from hitting the steering / windshield and then they collapse. If they don't collpase, they can suffocate the occupant.

Likewise, if the person does not wear seatbelt and the airbag is deployed, it can potentially cause more harm.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 17:39   #2059
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,854
Thanked: 123 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Honestly, TILL there's documentary evidence that they were incapacitated by the drinks - the least we can do is not to pass such armchair callous remarks - we were NOT there...
Youngsters, after a party, at the middle of the night, have some bottles in car - now you say that we need more evidence; so what do you think they were doing at the party? Unless one has facts or knows otherwise, the only option is to go with media reports, right?


Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
...Till we don't know, its tough to surmise. It may have been that minute fraction of a second more of reaction time which did them in (cruising at 100+ speeds doesn't give much margin for error) - may have been an overtaking maneuver which went bad - could've been anything...
These are your assumptions and I have mine which are based on the media reports. So, if you say "armchair analysis", then both are guilty as charged and my assumption have more 'circumstantial' fact for support!

Somehow, when I see a case of 'probable' drink & drive accident, I feel, as you said, very cold, unless proven otherwise!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 20:52   #2060
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 192
Thanked: 199 Times
Default

Clicked this picture on my way to Sabarimala on Friday in Kerala and this bus was down a valley around a hairpin bend. It looked quite fresh and god only knows what happened to the people.

Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Accidents in India-dsc03359.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-dsc03361.jpg  

Miyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 21:00   #2061
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,759
Thanked: 1,540 Times
Default

OMG thats a nasty crash,the bus is ripped apart
wonder what happened to passengers/driver
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 23:18   #2062
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,584
Thanked: 10,608 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyer View Post
god only knows what happened to the people.

Cheers
Mike
Not much to cheer about! No blood on the seats, however. Looks like somebody sliced off the roof to get the people out after the doors jammed! They could have just broken the window glasses...
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 08:04   #2063
Senior - BHPian
 
ImmortalZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 137 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Likewise, if the person does not wear seatbelt and the airbag is deployed, it can potentially cause more harm.
Most modern cars have sensors in the seatbelt clips and under the seats to make sure airbags deploy only when the seatbelt is on and there is an occupant in the seat. They also measure weight and such for optimizing airbag deployment and seatbelt pre-tensioning force.

Cars with side and curtain airbags also have sensors in the pillars and roof railing to make sure they don't deploy if the occupant is sleeping with his head resting on the glass/pillar.

The very reason airbags are marked as SRS - Supplementary Restraint System - is because they work in conjunction with the seatbelts. They are never meant to be used without a primary restraint in place. Airbags also send the prices of cars to the sky because they have so much R&D and equipment involved. Trade off really - your ribcage or your wallet.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 09:24   #2064
BHPian
 
1000bhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangy
Posts: 39
Thanked: 10 Times
Unhappy

Saw this one today morning on the Palm beach - Belapur Station road. A dog was hit from the front and died on the spot and not sure what hit the car from behind.

But anyways I feel sorry for the driver, as it's not entirely his fault, as animals tend to run to cross the road.

PS: I haven't seen the accident but I could make it out, as there was dead dog lying few feets away from the accident.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Accidents in India-13042009001.jpg  

Pics: Accidents in India-13042009.jpg  

1000bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 10:20   #2065
BHPian
 
ram.west's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 418
Thanked: 20 Times
Post

Holy $$$$!! Thats one hell of a Accident!!!
ram.west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 10:27   #2066
Senior - BHPian
 
gowda79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,471
Thanked: 141 Times
Default

If any one was in the back seat, he would be history by seeing the car mangled backside.

The car would be hit by a Lorry or Canter.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 10:29   #2067
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,953
Thanked: 1,587 Times
Default

That Santro has been torn apart from behind!!
Its better to not brake if a dog jumps in front of your car.

Today morning a call center Sumo rear ended a Honda City in front of IIMB. The damage was quite considerable since the boot had popped out.
amitoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 10:37   #2068
BHPian
 
Bubby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 496
Thanked: 152 Times
Default

Looks like the actual accident site would had been a few meters away from where the car been stationed at the picture was clicked as there are no tyre marks.

By looking at the rear damage, I am sure that car would have moved at least 5-10m from the point of impact.
Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 10:40   #2069
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,953
Thanked: 1,587 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
By looking at the rear damage, I am sure that car would have moved at least 5-10m from the point of impact.
Yeah and the poor dog might have been hit by the Santro after the Santro got hit from behind.
amitoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 10:50   #2070
BHPian
 
siddvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 53
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Hope there were no passengers in the rear seat of the santro. Its good not to brake for the dog at speeds but our reflexes kicks in much before we can think. Also whichever vehicle rear-ended the santro, must have not been maintaining safe distance.
siddvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India tops global list of deaths in road accidents anujmishra The Indian Car Scene 84 19th November 2016 16:47
Road Accidents in Dubai - Pics Steeroid Shifting gears 143 28th April 2015 17:39
India to use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube to reduce fatal accidents mithun The Indian Car Scene 24 30th September 2009 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks