Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2016, 09:43   #21721
BHPian
 
AkMar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 887
Thanked: 1,272 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

An NMMT volvo caught fire yesterday in Mumbai. Details below:

Name:  09_09_2016_009_071_002.jpg
Views: 5792
Size:  29.1 KB
AkMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2016, 10:44   #21722
BHPian
 
PrasannaDhana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Trichy
Posts: 735
Thanked: 2,294 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
An NMMT volvo caught fire yesterday in Mumbai.


Ironically, it is written zero degree on the sides. These buses have their engines in the rear right?

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 9th September 2016 at 10:49.
PrasannaDhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2016, 10:52   #21723
BHPian
 
haria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: bangalore
Posts: 276
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Actually this is the most uncontrolled thread I've come across on tbhp. The name distinctly says "Pics" which means ideally sharing the pics with a small detail, but in reality there are roughly 50-100 posts between every pic on an average :banghead: . Our repected mods have tried and failed umpteen times to get people in line but to no avail. Reminds me of the guys occupying the wrong side of the road during peak traffic times to get ahead but creating a gridlock instead.

I think the mods should try "Strictly Pics Only" or then change the thread name itself to "Accident RND Thread." If you cant beat 'em, join 'em. Eh? Also, then the car makers can shut down their own costly RND facilities and just subscribe to our thread and be sorted. Who needs costly scientists. It's free here....
Sorry Mate, I disagree. Most of the posts are aligned/related to accidents in india and boarders are generally disciplined here. Nothing uncontrolled here.

I believe moderators are also cognizant of this fact and hence not issuing warnings/infractions.

But technically, yeah, subject line can be changed to
"Accidents in india : News, Pics, Videos, Links, Discussions..."
But again, this is not a big deal - the intent is clear enough, though a small amount of technicality of correctness in the title can be done.

The objective for me is met if people become more aware of the importance of driving safe, aware of the implications of accidents. This is more like a reference for people to highlight the fact that safety is not just dependent on the technology/safety aids, but also plain old common sense and sensible driving habits. The detailed discussions which talk about accidents, what could have done to avoid, etc, in my opinion extremely useful to inculcate some sane/sensible driving habits to the drivers. In fact, I strongly recommend people driving for the first time or applying for DL to go thru this thread in detail

And even though you have made the comment in a light-hearted manner, I believe no public/free forums will EVER substitute/replace the inputs of a dedicated safety teams which car makers employ. Thank goodness that they have stringent guidelines for this. It is near to impossible to design safety standards just by the posts of a public/private forum, however professional it is! Again, just my 2 cents, No offense intended to anybody

Last edited by haria : 9th September 2016 at 10:57.
haria is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2016, 10:59   #21724
BHPian
 
AkMar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 887
Thanked: 1,272 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Ironically, it is written zero degree on the sides. These buses have their engines in the rear right?
Yes they have rear engines. Zero Degree is the name of marketing agency which handles sale of ads on the buses.
AkMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2016, 12:47   #21725
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,687
Thanked: 7,571 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Haha. You're right. Actually this is the most uncontrolled thread I've come across on tbhp. The name distinctly says "Pics" which means ideally sharing the pics with a small detail, but in reality there are roughly 50-100 posts between every pic on an average :banghead: . Our repected mods have tried and failed umpteen times to get people in line but to no avail. Reminds me of the guys occupying the wrong side of the road during peak traffic times to get ahead but creating a gridlock instead.

I think the mods should try "Strictly Pics Only" or then change the thread name itself to "Accident RND Thread." If you cant beat 'em, join 'em. Eh? Also, then the car makers can shut down their own costly RND facilities and just subscribe to our thread and be sorted. Who needs costly scientists. It's free here....
This thread is a "thread" and not a "picture gallery" for a reason. Only pics of accidents without some amount of analysis and healthy debate serves very little purpose. Somebody posts a pic and some sketchy details about some accident. Somebody else joins in and observes "overtaking gone wrong" or "way above safe speed on a curving stretch of road", that actually helps someone else to be careful and not repeat that mistake. May be this thread has enlightened some members/readers about what all can go wrong on Indian roads and hopefully have saved a few lives from that knowledge. Its all good till this point. When it gets into CSI-Miami style analysis (without having access to concrete facts) or when strong biases start playing out (e.g. "cars from xx manufacturer are just tin-boxes" or "nobody dies in a yy car because it is built like a tank") that's where the value of this thread starts diminishing.

I agree, this is a very active thread and has a tendency to go "overboard". If that happens, typically some kind souls like you reports the post(s), one of the Mods jumps in and helps to get the thread back on track. So a humble request to members who are active on this thread - please report posts when you feel that the thread is going way off-topic and the discussion is not adding any value.

Last edited by SDP : 10th September 2016 at 06:55.
SDP is offline   (27) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2016, 12:58   #21726
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,722
Thanked: 578 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
An NMMT volvo caught fire yesterday in Mumbai. Details below:

Attachment 1551956
The standard report in all fire cases is "short circuit".

One should see the sad state of the Volvo 8400 buses in Chennai ; yet , I haven't come across a single fire incident involving these buses.

It is , in my view, a fuel leak over a hot engine that has caused this.

I thought NMMT Volvos were in great shape; sad to see this happen.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2016, 13:01   #21727
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,801
Thanked: 7,133 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Pics alone, without any discussion on them is not going to help anyone. People learn a lot through discussions that follow. I do agree they deviate some times, but not always.
I agree. I do think we sometimes go too far with the amateur forensics, and the comments on build quality are... well, they need no comment! But the lessons from the accidents, albeit repeated ad infinitum, are the important things.

Thread name? I'd vote for Accidents in India With Pics. It's just a small change with a slightly different emphasis.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2016, 13:15   #21728
BHPian
 
centaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: --
Posts: 698
Thanked: 738 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Delhi CM met with a minor accident in his "SUV" Innova as reported by TOI. Here is the excerpt from the article-

Quote:
JALANDHAR: Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal on Friday escaped unhurt when the SUV in which he was travelling rammed into an escort vehicle near PAP chowk on Jalandhar-Amritsar road.

Kejriwal, who was on his way to Amritsar on the second day of his four-day visit to Punjab, was sitting in the front seat of the Innova when it hit the escort vehicle which was moving ahead of it, police said.

No one was injured in the mishap. The bumper of Kejriwal's car was damaged, they said.

Besides Kejriwal, others in his car were AAP leaders Bhagwant Mann and Gurpreet Ghuggi.

Kejriwal is on a four-day tour of Punjab+ to give a push to Aam Aadmi Party's poll campaign.

He carried on with his journey to Amritsar where he will pay obeisance at the Golden Temple, a party spokesman said.
Link
centaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2016, 14:12   #21729
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Vijayawada
Posts: 32
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
This thread is a "thread" and not a "picture gallery" for a reason. Only pics of accidents without some amount of analysis and healthy debate serves very little purpose. Somebody posts a pic and some sketchy details about some accident. Somebody else joins in and observes "overtaking gone wrong" or "way above safe speed on a curving stretch of road", that actually helps someone else to be careful and not repeat that mistake. May be this thread has enlightened some members/readers about what all can go wrong on Indian roads and hopefully have saved a few lives from that knowledge. Its all good till this point. When it gets into CSI-Miami style analysis (without having access to concrete facts) or when strong biases start playing out (e.g. "cars from xx manufacturer are just tin-boxes" or "nobody dies in a yy car because it is built like a tank") that's where the value of this thread starts diminishing.
Correct to the core SDP. The discussion in this thread surely helps as a tutorial for others to change their driving style, adapt new driving techniques etc. I used to hold on to the right most lane on highways and after going through all the discussions in this thread, have changed now sticking to the centre lane in most of my highway drives, which according to me give more time to take corrective and evasive actions during sudden unexpected events.

Last edited by Eddy : 9th September 2016 at 14:21. Reason: corrected quote
RAPTOR-XUV is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2016, 00:14   #21730
BHPian
 
pixantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 560
Thanked: 649 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Sorry Mate, I disagree. Most of the posts are aligned/related to accidents in india and boarders are generally disciplined here. Nothing uncontrolled here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
This thread is a "thread" and not a "picture gallery" for a reason. Only pics of accidents without some amount of analysis and healthy debate serves very little purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPTOR-XUV View Post
Correct to the core SDP. The discussion in this thread surely helps as a tutorial for others to change their driving style
Have you guys ever typed the word "Accident" in the search bar of tbhp, ever? Well, the last time I checked there were about 45 different and varied threads about accidents and scenarios most of us would never even think of otherwise related to the subject. Some have matter which may not even be on this thread, safety, sensible or any other-wise. I'm serious. Go check.

And further, this thread is the only one which has the defining word "Pics" as the first word. At least technically, to me, that qualifies it as a "picture gallery" amongst the other lesser famous threads. And that's the reason exactly why everybody ends up here ultimately. A picture speaks a thousand words, remember? Well, it ends up speaking thousands of posts in this case. This thread is like the jaggery which attracts all the flies, kind of .

Sorry I had to contribute to that here now because it was the only right place to reply. Anyway, as long as it contributes to helping us have more aware drivers around us I guess its all for the better. Safe driving guys :thumbup:

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th September 2016 at 13:38. Reason: Removing large amounts of white space between quotes...
pixantz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2016, 06:27   #21731
Senior - BHPian
 
RajaTaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tenkasi, TN
Posts: 1,069
Thanked: 338 Times
Default

May be, the thread title be changed to "Accidents in India - with Pictures".
RajaTaurus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2016, 07:12   #21732
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,082
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
...

Thread name? I'd vote for Accidents in India With Pics. It's just a small change with a slightly different emphasis.
Haven't we been through this before? In fact the thread title had been changed to just that. How did the old title come back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post


The real point of accidents is the lessons to be learnt. Without that, it is just a wrecks gallery.

Naturally, not everyone agrees with those lessons, and some may even, occasionally, find them unpalatable. Never-ending competitive guess-work forensics? Well, no I'm not so keen on that either. There's a middle line. Sometimes the mods have to point us back to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yeah totally agree on this point. If we are just rubber-necking at this forum and not learning anything from it, I think we are doing the wrong thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
While the thread title does say Pics, a narration of a live accident and its aftermath definitely belong here, as the point is not just post pics but to try to understand and learn.

Of course there will be, and should be, occasional debates over the matter or the opinions posted here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Better still I would expect that the mods would simply change the title of this thread to something that reflects the reality and the raison d'etre for its existence.
It does seem, to me, that the title is what is deficient here because it only encourages what Team-BHP hands out infractions for - posts/PICS that 'add no value' to the thread!
Value can only be added if a rational/relevant discussion is permitted, to ensure there are lessons learnt, just as you have earlier pointed out.
Above quotes from post numbers in the 18900s.
anupmathur is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2016, 08:46   #21733
BHPian
 
samaspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Manipal / Udupi
Posts: 943
Thanked: 2,227 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Haven't we been through this before? In fact the thread title had been changed to just that.
Hah. You are right. The title HAS changed recently. I was wondering if I was remembering wrong.

If memory serves me right, the title of this thread was 'Accidents in India with Pictures' till about a month ago. Correct me of I'm wrong.
samaspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2016, 12:47   #21734
BHPian
 
haria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: bangalore
Posts: 276
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
If memory serves me right, the title of this thread was 'Accidents in India with Pictures' till about a month ago. Correct me of I'm wrong.
The title is still showing "Pics: Accidents in India", maybe it got changed back ?
haria is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2016, 12:48   #21735
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,801
Thanked: 7,133 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Above quotes from post numbers in the 18900s.
At first, thought you had said "In the 1890s," ie 120 years ago! But, in internet been-there-done-that time, yes... would be about right
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India tops global list of deaths in road accidents anujmishra The Indian Car Scene 84 19th November 2016 16:47
Road Accidents in Dubai - Pics Steeroid Shifting gears 143 28th April 2015 17:39
India to use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube to reduce fatal accidents mithun The Indian Car Scene 24 30th September 2009 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks