Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2017, 12:03   #22711
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,640
Thanked: 6,637 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

A humble request:

Can we all move on.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, we are all talking about the same thing with just semantics causing confusion.

Thanks
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 15:00   #22712
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,801
Thanked: 7,133 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
An accident. Two cars. One has its front and the other it's rear smashed

With no other information available an assumption that the car with the broken front is at fault is something I don't agree with.

This is my point on this topic.
This is not useful. Unless it is a Whatsapp foreward, (in which case there is a good chance that it never happened at all: Whatsapp has become the greatest ever home of hoax and fiction) there is always more information available.

So far, I have never "rear-ended" anybody. Where I feel at greatest risk of doing so is not at good speed on the open road, where I will certainly be keeping greater distance than many here consider necessary, but in city traffic where just a moment of inattention can make bumper-to-bumper into bumper-on-bumper.

The gentleman who helped to educate me on highway stopping distances had his first accident, after a couple of decades of uneventful driving, in London traffic... because he was looking at a female pedestrian when the car in front of him stopped. Lessons learnt at other people's expense are the cheapest, and I try not to forget that one!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 01:37   #22713
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,253 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

50 miles per hour = 80 kilometres per hour.

if a well built full sized sedan like Camry's rear end can be decimated at 80 kmph surely the BMW must have been well below that speed and yet be able to damage the WagonR the way it did.

Thank you for posting the video, it will go a long way in making people aware that one need not be at much over the prescribed speed limits to do extensive damage to others and to themselves.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspal singh View Post
.....
the below video shows how much damage a 2015 camry incurs in case of 80kmph rear end impact.

as pointed by other members, over speeding , ill trained cab drivers relying more on app based maps than on driving , poor road design etc have become a major safety concern on city roads.

Last edited by noopster : 28th January 2017 at 09:41. Reason: Please check PM
khoj is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 07:55   #22714
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli
Posts: 2,620
Thanked: 1,186 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This is not useful. Unless it is a Whatsapp foreward, (in which case there is a good chance that it never happened at all: Whatsapp has become the greatest ever home of hoax and fiction) there is always more information available.
I believe it was his take on the incident being discussed and he wasn't reporting another accident.

Also we are talking about humans who are listening to songs, munching on something, talking to someone - within the car or without - and in general very good at being distracted.

With just about 1.5 seconds even three seconds of response time, our typical driver would not even be able to complete the expletive in *** if he sees the vehicle in front stopping dead. Because nobody has taught him that in such cases he should slam the brakes and not the other driver. And same is the case with the driver of the vehicle following him.

So instead of debating if a 30 metre gap is more optimum than a 100 metre one, just let's follow a 10 second rule so that we can stop well in time and be able to complete that expletive.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 10:54   #22715
BHPian
 
virgopal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore,Mysore
Posts: 185
Thanked: 78 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Four killed as speeding Audi SUV rams into auto in Ghaziabad
Four people, including a woman employee of an IT company, were killed when a speeding Audi SUV collided with an autorickshaw on Hindon canal road in Indirapuram around Friday midnight.

Police said the autorickshaw was completely crushed in the accident, which occurred near the Gaur Green Avenue high-rise building. The Audi Q7, on the other hand, sustained damages on the driver’s side.
The deceased were identified as autorickshaw driver Sanjeev (25) and passengers Yajuvendra Singh (35), Vishal (25) and Rinku Yadav (40).
The auto driver Sanjeev hailed from Etah in Uttar Pradesh and was a resident of Noida’s Khora Colony along the NH24. He was the sole bread-winner of the family.

The auto was completely destroyed, and all its occupants were killed in the mishap. (Sakiib Ali/HT Photo)
“The two male passengers had come from Kanpur to Ghaziabad because one of them intended to attend a job interview. They were known to Rinku, who worked as a manager with HCL Technologies in Noida,” said Indirapuram circle officer Anil Kumar Yadav, adding that all the four had died on the spot.

Police said the two occupants of the car fled from the scene soon after the accident, leaving the vehicle behind. Documents recovered from the car identified its owner as Dr Manish Rawat, an associate professor (neurology) at Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi.

“The car was being driven at a speed of 80 to 100 kph. We are not sure if the owner was in it,” the circle officer said.

Police have contacted Dr Rawat for further details. A case is yet to be registered.


http://www.hindustantimes.com/noida/...t6IaMSQaK.html
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Accidents in India-audi.jpg  


Last edited by ajmat : 28th January 2017 at 13:03.
virgopal is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 12:31   #22716
Senior - BHPian
 
arunphilip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,726
Thanked: 4,694 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
“The car was being driven at a speed of 80 to 100 kph. We are not sure if the owner was in it,” the circle officer said.
I'm pleasantly surprised to note that the assessment of speed is a reasonable estimate (although possibly over the speed limit), and not the outlandish logic used by police and bystanders in other situations.

Usually, if the vehicle involved is a high-end car/bike, the speed is automatically pegged at 150 km/h or higher.
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 12:56   #22717
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,801
Thanked: 7,133 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
... ... ... So instead of debating if a 30 metre gap is more optimum than a 100 metre one, just let's follow a 10 second rule so that we can stop well in time and be able to complete that expletive.
The rule seems to vary: two, four, etc seconds. Don't know who makes this stuff up. It even pre-dates Whatsapp

As you say, two seconds is barely enough for the expletive, let alone the action.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 22:03   #22718
bkc
BHPian
 
bkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: bengaluru
Posts: 58
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Saw a Punto at Nagarbhavi today, the car had its lower arm broken and the front-right wheel had turned almost to 180 degree. The owner was safe and sipping chai, while I took pictures of the car.
He was narrating something to me in Malayalam, I did not understand but, nodded and left from there.

Pics: Accidents in India-punto1.jpg

Find below, the broken lower arm.
Pics: Accidents in India-punto.jpg

There were some people from Bosch service, he had sought help already.

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd February 2017 at 23:21. Reason: front-left -> front-right
bkc is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 22:28   #22719
BHPian
 
Pferdestarke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Vijayawada
Posts: 409
Thanked: 498 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Happened today in Hyderabad. Triple riding costed them a huge price! Two of them died on the spot while the third person survived with injuries.
Pferdestarke is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 23:14   #22720
bkc
BHPian
 
bkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: bengaluru
Posts: 58
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Happened today in Hyderabad. Triple riding costed them a huge price! Two of them died on the spot while the third person survived with injuries.
It is so sad to see the students die, at such young age, the cause for accident is not only triple riding, it is also due to fast riding on a curve and not able to handle the bike at such speed.
It is the parents who suffer after their death. The third student seems okay, with fewer injuries in the video.
There was so much discussion in my family to buy me a pulsar 150 UG3 in 2006, due to the image it had got those days and comparing the powerful disk it had in UG1. I was a fast rider those days (learnt later) but, these guys paid a lot for that mistake. God give the power to their families, to face the loss.
bkc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 02:15   #22721
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: pune
Posts: 234
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I'm pleasantly surprised to note that the assessment of speed is a reasonable estimate (although possibly over the speed limit), and not the outlandish logic used by police and bystanders in other situations. Usually, if the vehicle involved is a high-end car/bike, the speed is automatically pegged at 150 km/h or higher.
Wonder whats more important??
Lives lost or speed estimate. Hard to believe.
Jr Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 09:22   #22722
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli
Posts: 2,620
Thanked: 1,186 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
Wonder whats more important??
Lives lost or speed estimate. Hard to believe.
Uncalled for reaction. He has only alluded to the fact that the report has deviated from the standard practice of being vague about the speeds and has provided a measurable estimate. He hasn't said it was more important than the lives lost.
honeybee is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 09:22   #22723
BHPian
 
Pferdestarke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Vijayawada
Posts: 409
Thanked: 498 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
The cause for accident is not only triple riding, it is also due to fast riding on a curve and not able to handle the bike at such speed.
As a matter of fact, triple riding itself might have rendered the driver inept for prompt maneuvering at the curve. May the departed souls rest in peace!
Pferdestarke is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 11:02   #22724
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Secunderabad
Posts: 64
Thanked: 137 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Added to their speed it's the fate of these guys that exactly a lorry with its rear axle ended up perfectly at the fall place of these students. This is seriously a deadly curve near tadbund junction. I daily used to go by this road when I was in my graduation. I also used to travel on Yamaha Fz. This curve is so deep that I used to drop down my speed to 20kmph and even at that speed also many motorists used to come upon each other shifting lanes during manuevring. I used to fear that if I go much faster than 40kmph I would have an accident the same way this accident happened. Earlier there used to be many potholes just before this curve and so many had to eventually drop their speeds which I think have saved many lives. But now roads have been laid so smooth without any speed breakers and people who actually drive fast bikes go on with their bending stunts dreaming this curve as in a MotoGP. Courage the parents of lost lives. RIP.
rohiT Nonu is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 11:40   #22725
Senior - BHPian
 
dark.knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: India
Posts: 1,115
Thanked: 2,960 Times
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I'm pleasantly surprised to note that the assessment of speed is a reasonable estimate (although possibly over the speed limit).. Usually, if the vehicle involved is a high-end car/bike, the speed is automatically pegged at 150 km/h or higher.
True, and I maybe wrong here but I feel there is absolutely no scientific basis for judging the speed here in India, that is because we don't have anything remotely associated with forensic investigations, at least not to the micro-level that American legal system is famous for. It just depends, a cop might as well look at the car, see that the driver is drunk and assume that the speed was 150 kmph+, or another cop might look into the amount of damage and if its less might peg it at less than 100 kph. The only way to know the real speed is to have a black-box type memory chip in the airbags deployment controller and have it mapping the speeds continuously and record & save the speed 4-5 seconds before deployment of the airbag.

Whether the cops will even ask for the data to be recovered is another question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Happened today in Hyderabad. Triple riding costed them a huge price! Two of them died on the spot while the third person survived with injuries.
Its a disturbing thing in Bangalore that's going on as well, triple riding, and shockingly, quadruple riding and I've seen them flashing "gangsta" signs and howling in a bid to get attention of the road users, mostly in the ORR's. I cannot imagine the level of stupidity in these acts and they act like its the coolest thing in the world, having them sit on the floor without clothes wearing a dunce cap would probably be way less embarrassing than this act of wannabe-gangsta-coolios.

We have BMW going to lengths to ensure 50-50 weight distribution of the vehicle (accounting for 75 kg driver weight), and that too in a car well over 4.5 meters long and having tyre width of over 195mm, why? To make sure the vehicle transfers its internal weights correctly and doesn't shift about, we have even F1 bike riders transferring their weight towards the side of the turn so that there is no loss of balance or skidding, don't these dense hyper-hormonal thrill seekers even realize the consequences of seating 3-4 on a 2-wheeler with randomly flaying about motions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
It is so sad to see the students die, at such young age, the cause for accident is not only triple riding, it is also due to fast riding on a curve and not able to handle the bike at such speed. It is the parents who suffer after their death. The third student seems okay, with fewer injuries in the video.
Triple seating is dangerous, over-speeding is dangerous, both combined is hello, the great beyond. Let's put it that way. I'm not sorry for saying this, sometimes very tight parenting is the only way out, they'd know their child best so its in their best interest to govern from the start and at least, teach them the consequences of putting others into trouble for no fault of their own. Yes they might face rebellion and even outright misbehavior but that should not stop the parents from trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Four killed as speeding Audi SUV rams into auto in Ghaziabad
Speeding or not, it was night time, and there is possibly no reason to crash into an auto from the back because autos are neither capable of great speeds, nor capable or hard braking, yes the only way this could be the auto-drivers fault is if he suddenly came into the Audi's lane. Its an expensive car and they sure could've been more careful driving it, and also kept a dash-cam for such occasions where they could've conveniently cleared their fault had they been without fault. As of now, as stereotyped as it may be, the Audi looks to be in the wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Uncalled for reaction. He has only alluded to the fact that the report has deviated from the standard practice of being vague about the speeds and has provided a measurable estimate. He hasn't said it was more important than the lives lost.
Very true, in any case all these factors are discussions for basically, kangaroo courts. At the end of the day those who suffered (whether proven or not) from the accident will continue to suffer and those in the wrong (whether proven or not) will continue to defend themselves. Speed or not, prevention and safe driving is the only way.

Last edited by dark.knight : 29th January 2017 at 11:43.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India tops global list of deaths in road accidents anujmishra The Indian Car Scene 84 19th November 2016 16:47
Road Accidents in Dubai - Pics Steeroid Shifting gears 143 28th April 2015 17:39
India to use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube to reduce fatal accidents mithun The Indian Car Scene 24 30th September 2009 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:44.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks